• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC best 22 rnd 1

rolly

FB: bennell frawley rivers

HB: garland martin grimes

C: trengove jones bail

HF: howe watts green

FF: davey clark jurrah

FOLL: jamar bate moloney

INT: mcdonald gysberts nicholson (blease)

Emg:Tapscot

Rd 1 - need big talls to play Hawthorn. Not sure if sellar is up to the standard.So martin it is.

Sylvia id play on ball if available.

Bate gets a game as part of Neeld's game play.

Mckenzie wont be ready.

I thought we played hawthorn Rd 7

FB Nicho Frawley Rivers

HB Grimes Sellars Garland

C Trengove Bate Bail

HF Watts McDonald Green (Sylvia Rd.2)

FF Howe Clark Davey

R Jamar Moloney Jones

Int Martin Jurrah Blease (Gysberts)

Edited by Chippy

This guy that guy another guy

bloke 1 bloke 2 bloke 3

this person that person another person

fella 1 fella 2 fella 3

a punter a player a brother

Gringo Dude Young kid

geezer 1. geezer2. geezer3 unlucky bugger(sub)

• Like 1

Guest djdemons

FB: Bartram Frawley Garland

HB: Grimes Sellar Nicholson

C: Jones Trengove Bail

HF: Howe Watts Jurrah

F: Davey Clark Green

R: Jamar Moloney Sylvia

Int.: Martin Petterd/Mckenzie Tapscott (Blease)

Emg. Rivers Strauss Gysberts

Morton undeserved

Jetta is a maybe player

Mcdonald still developing

Joel Mac is cover now

Magner and Couch need to prove themselves

Tynan Taggert can develop in VFL

Cook will never develop into a bigger body and unless he makes good strides in the next two years good be facing the clutch in 2013, much like Fitzpatrick this year.

We have a lot of depth, thanks Barry Prendergast, and like Bailey always wanted competition for spots is now at its peak. Bailey, who i really hated but when i reflec was right in what he said many times about creating depth and that is exactly what he has helped achieve. We have a lot of fringe players and this is becoming a problem when selecting the best 22 because anyone could pop up in the pre season. Many older heads may look for a trade come years end, Rivers and Joel Mac, so could some of our fringe, Jetta, Morton, Fitzy. I think we will be the most active in the trade period this year mainly because of the amount of fringe players we have. We may land some good talent in the trade period this year. Bailey's vision is becoming a reality, shame he was a terrible tactician and gameday coach. I think he will look on in anger and envy in the next few years, poor man!

Agree with your selections here 100%.Strong team on paper but lets see how it all unfolds as the season opener edges closer.

Cook will never develop into a bigger body and unless he makes good strides in the next two years good be facing the clutch in 2013, much like Fitzpatrick this year.

bit harsh on a kid that doesn't turn 20 until march, has only had 1 1/2 pre seasons and who hasn't even played a senior game yet...

by all reports his skills are good, he hasn't lagged behind in the training so why would we trade him off so soon?

if there were any deficiencies in his game (other than size) then they would have been discussed at length on this website, probably in a dedicated thread.

at least wait until he has made his debut before writing him off surely...next you'll be sayin that troy davis should be traded as well

Tapscott, Frawley, garland

Rivers, seller, grimes

Jones, mckenzie, gysbert

Trengove, watts, jurrah

Pettard, Clark, davey

Foll: Jamar, Maloney, Sylvia

Int: Joel Mac, Martin, bail, (green / blease)

Very, very hard. No doubt forgot someone!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a very exciting time of the year.

Looking at our complete list of 46 it seems like only about 8 players aren't currently potential best 22 this year - Cook, Fitzpatrick, Davis, Tynan, Lawrence, Williams, Sheahan all likely to have work to do at Casey this year and add Gawn to the list because of his injury.

That gives us 38 possible starters by my calculations, there's a lot of competition in every area - it's going to be fascinating© to see how it comes out in the wash.

• Like 1

Depending on opposition:

FB: Rivers Frawley Bennell

HB: Grimes Garland Tapscott

C: Jones Moloney Blease

HF: Davey Watts Howe

FF: Jurrah Clark Green

R: Jamar Trengove McKenzie

I/C: Gysberts, Petterd, Martin & Bail.

- Rivers to play that floating role, Chip is just a gimme & Bennell to take a crumber

- Grimes & Tappy quarterbacks. Garland I like at CHB, is a spoiling machine.

- Moloney owns the centre. Jones can run all day and Blease can rest down forward.

- Forward line is flexible. All six can play anywhere and rotate deep for breathers.

- Rucks are a certain. Gotta have McKenzie he is all heart.

- Interchange is really flexible and god I hope I havent missed out on a gimme

Very close to the way I'm thinking too Deeko. This is what mine looks like;

FB: Rivers Frawley Bartram

HB: Grimes Garland Tapscott

C: Jones Moloney Blease

HF: Davey Watts Howe

FF: Jurrah Clark Martin

R: Jamar Trengove McKenzie

I/C: Petterd, Green, Bail (Gysberts)

Points;

* I know my forward line is tall, but as coach, I'm trying to define "cumbing forward". Do they have to be short? Can Jurrah be our crumbing forward? I'd give it a week to see how it worked.

* I'm a fan of 2nd ruck playing in the forward line, especially if they are agile like Martin. Frees up a spot on the bench for another runner.

* Even if Green were to be named captain (which I'm in favour of), I'd have no hesitation starting him on the bench. He will have ample time to stamp authority on the result, and do the captain things in tight contests. Don't get in to an arguement about his ability to do this - there is a seperate thread for that.

* Petterd is on notice for me. Sylvia is back in round 2, we have 3 or 4 players more than capable of playing that half forward role, and I have Howe and Sylvia ahead of Petterd.

* I'd even consider swapping Howe and Blease. If Howe has been training the house down like reports suggest, and if his aerobic capacity can cope, he just may be a tough opponent to match up against on a wing.

I often use this as a method of getting back to sleep in the middle of the night, name my best 22 in the old fashioned way, ie."from the backline", "League Teams" style. It's quite effective and I'm often asleep before I've sorted out the forwards or the interchange bench.

Some players, like Frawley, Jamar, Clark etc., pick themselves in their positions. Others are more difficult. There are others who I think "how could I possibly leave him out?", like Jordie McKenzie, Petterd etc. Even Green! They're are too good to omit, but for example, how do I fit Jurrah, Watts, Howe, Clark, Petterd, Green, Martin and Davey all into the same forward six.

Or How do I fit Trengove, Jones, Gysberts, Bail, Moloney, Mckenzie, Bate and Sylvia all into the midfield.

Or how do fit Frawley, Garland, Rivers, Grimes, Tappy, Bail, Bartram, Bennell all in the back six.

In my mind all of these players are certain starters, but so far that's already 23 players. I haven't been able to fit in the next tier, who I think will all play important roles when injuries occur. They are Blease, T McDonald, J MacDonald, Dunne, Jetta, Nicholson (I know he is still on the rookie list but I suspect he may climb into the group above), Sellar and Strauss.

Then there is the development group, some of whom may demand a game, and some who are probably still a way off. Davis, Cook, Tynan and Taggart.

Then we have the rookies and unknown quantities. Magner, Couch, Evans, Lawrence, Williams and Sheahan.

The whole picture is very good and makes the "best 22" or "Round 1 22" really almost impossible to pick. One would think that training track and NAB Cup form will throw up a couple of surprises and that the pressure on the players to keep their spots will be better than ever. It's a very healthy situation, both for the Dees and for my sleep patterns.

Edited by btdemon
  • Like 4

Why not...

In modern footy I think you need to split the side up to categories like so and order players in order for their position. Some double up due to their versatility and this puts them up the pecking order, especially in case of injuries. (haven’t taken into account any rookies.

Small Defenders / Taggers – Bartram, Bail, Bennell, Strauss

Tall Defenders – Frawley, Garland, Sellars, Rivers

Running Defenders - Frawley, Grimes, Bail, Bennell, Garland, Blease

Inside Midfielders – Trengove, Moloney, McKenzie, Sylvia, Grimes, Gysberts, Nicholson, Jetta, Bate

Outisde Midfielders – Trengove, Sylvia, Jones, Tapscott, Morton, Bail, Bennell

Tall Forward – Clark, Watts, Cook, Dunn, Bate, McDonald

Medium Forwards – Howe, Petterd, Green, Jurrah

Crumbing Forward – Jurrah, Davey, Blease

Ruck – Jamar, Martin, Spencer, Sellar

B Bartram Frawley Garland

HB Grimes Sellar Rivers

C Bail Moloney Jones

HF Jurrah Watts Green

F Howe Clark Davey

R Jamar McKenzie Trengove

INT Martin Petterd Tapscott (Morton)

Next - Dunn Bate Bennell

In this side Bail would be our midfield tagger while Bartram takes the most dangerous small forward. Frawley and Sellar take the bigger to forwards while Garland takes whoever. Rivers plays his normal third man up. Grimes acts as the quarterback however this position could easily be Jones, Bennell, Strauss, Blease

Our forward line does look a lot better with Clark there. Best thing to happen to Jurrah (but will Jurrah get a game? I could have easily left him out)

Depending on performance Sylvia will come in for some1 in round 2.

• Like 1

Guest Thomo

This is my best 22, not taking into account matchups. Although this is a round one thread, I thought it was best to post here rather than start a new one. It may change after seeing the preseason games.

FB: Bartram – Martin – Bennell

HB: Garland – Frawley – Green

C: Morton – Moloney – Bate

HF: Howe – Watts – Davey

FF: Jurrah – Clark – Petterd

F: Jamar – Trengove – Jones

Int: Grimes – McKenzie – Sylvia – Bail

Emg: Gysberts (for Sylvia in first game)

Where I think I differ from most is the backup ruck option, I would not specifically select one. I think teams loose run and with Clarke, Jurrah, Howe, Petterd and Watts in the forward line there is no room to carry another tall. With Jamar being such a fit player he only requires a few minutes per quarter rest. I would use a mix of Watts and Clark to back him up, and if possible against the opposition second string ruck which is normally less physical (for example not against Sandliands, but when he goes for a rest send Jamar off and Watts can ruck against whoever they send in). Watts would cause a huge mismatch with his speed and agility, as well as his big leap. If it was shared amongst a few players it would not be much of a burden, and also create matchup headaches for the opposition. If Jamar is injured this would need a major rethink.

I also see a position for Morton and Bate, would move green to the backline and Rivers would be back at Casey. I am also going mainly on what players have done, not what I think they will do (Blease, Strauss)

Bartram - is one of the first selected each week, rarely gets beaten and always gives his all. Disposal is not fantastic (I believe that it is not as bad as many on here make out), and will look much better without other players with poor skills around him (Rivers, MacDonald, Warnock)

Martin - could be the tall backman that the team has been looking for. Has proved in the past that he can play very well in the backline, and physically can match up with any tall forward in the league. Is tall, strong, fast and has a real crack. I don’t think he is a natural forward, and I don’t think he is needed in the ruck. I’m assuming Sellar will not be better in this position than Martin. I can’t think of a player that after being delisted has walked into another teams starting 18, so I don’t think it will happen here.

Bennell - can provide some class in disposal in the back line and run the ball out. Needs to ensure that he stops a player, but can also make the opposition forward pocket accountable.

Garland - could dominate as the third tall. He often performs well against the best forward, on the third best he would be a real attacking option, and has great foot skills.

Frawley - will be the best CHB in the AFL. Can stop a player and create play. Will be a faster version of Glen Jackovich. I think he can be a bit wasted at fullback. I would also love to see him thrown into the middle for short bursts to break open a game.

Green – can play back or forward. I like him at half back. He can be used as a third man up, setting up play, attacking backman or shutting down an opposition player. His reputation has diminished in the past 12 months, but with the number of players pushing for a forward position, I think this is much better for team balance.

Morton – I’m still a fan. I think that he can be a very good wingman. I think he was drafted as a wingman and the previous coach tried to turn him into a KPP. Can provide very good delivery into the forward line, and a target for the kickout. Let him run up and down the wing providing a link, take a mark up forward and help out down back.

Bate – see Morton

Molony – In and under centre man, has proven to be the best at getting the ball in the team.

Howe – I have been impressed with his work rate, and would like to see him roam from the goal posts to halfback flank. He may also be the best option to shutdown an opposition attacking backman

Watts – Will be in the top 5 players in the league shortly. I think that he can also be used on the ball (Ruck). I see the forward line a very fluid, with Watts roaming from the goal square to half back. With his speed he is very hard to match up on.

Davey – Providing he is fit, he is the best kick in the team and would like to see him delivering it into the foward line, with stints on the ball and deep forward. Needs to ensure body and attitude are right.

Jurrah – Is as good on the ground as in the air. Many on here are looking for a small forward, but Jurrah can do exactly what s small man can, plus take a big mark. Needs to improve consistency and intensity.

Clark – Full forward, with stints in the ruck

Petterd – Very good body on body, hard worker and can rotate with others to the flank or on the ball.

Jamar – First selected. Super fit and can play most of the game. Does not need much backup. Small stints from Watts and Clark would do.

Trengove – Should be Melbourne’s number one midfielder in the near future

Jones – Love his attitude and is getting better every year. Never stops working.

Grimes – Tossed up between a back flank and on the ball. I think Melbourne’s Midfield is currently the weakness, so he plays there. Kicking looked average last year, hopefully it is OK.

McKenzie – Workhorse, every team needs one. Needs to kick more, but one of my favourites.

Sylvia – Should be the best player in the team, needs more consistency. Adds class to the midfield, and can go forward and kick goals.

Bail – Get a big wrap on this site, I don’t think that he has earned it yet. Showed in the Collingwood game two years ago that he has the potential to be a very good player. Provides run, and will not take a short step.

Next best

Gysberts – Was a close call, but I think he needs to develop more physically. Will be best 18 very soon

Blease, Strauss, Nicholson – Need to see more before they go in the side. With a good NAB cup all three could replace a backman or wingman.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Checker

Watching the game last night I was in struggletown trying to decide who misses out round one so I thought I'd have a crack at this. I'm certain my side won't be the side that's actually picked but this is the team I'd like to see run out.

B: Tynan Frawley Rivers

HB: TMac Sellar Garland

C: Sylvia Moloney Grimes

HF: Howe Martin Petterd

F: Jurrah Clark Davey

R: Jamar Jones Trengove

I/C: Magner Petterd Watts (Blease)

Firstly, Watts is there based on the form he was in mid 2011. I'm hoping (I think we all are) that he kicks back into that gear soon but he's probably not a good shot at round 1 right now.

I think Bartram will be in the side when fit, Neeld obviously rates him to some extent if he's in the leadership group. I don't see him as a vital player and I'd rather try someone like Tynan who has impressed in limited game time.

Couch may make the side, a bit to like about him last night.

Brad Green is a tough one. I still think he's got some good footy in him but I don't know who to squeeze out.

Guys like Tapscott, Bail, Mckenzie and a fit Gysberts will be knocking on the door for their shot.

Loving that we have some depth. Guys like Petterd will know if they don't perform there's someone else who wants their spot.

• Like 1

B: Bartram Frawley Rivers

HB: Garland Sellar Grimes

C: Sylvia Moloney Morton

HF: Howe Watts Petterd

F: Jurrah Clark Davey

R: Jamar Jones Trengove

I/C: Martin Magner Greem (Blease)

Bate instead of Sylvia Rnd1

Defense: Bartram is almost always first picked. Basically picks itself now, Sellar capable of being swapped out for a Bennell if we face a small forward line (Carlton comes to mind). Grimes and possibly Garland to rotate through midfield. Rivers probably most at risk from TMac and Davis.

Midfield: Interesting and tough with many players. Gysberts struggling still which is concerning. For the most part the obvious choices. Expect to see Green, Grimes, Howe and even Petterd rotate through. Bate also offers a forward rotation option.

Forward: Green is the tough one here. Is he still good enough? Also LJ question mark over fitness - if he misses we need another crumber. That said, if LJ plays the forward threat increases exponentially - it's not often you can say your 'small' forward is 188cm and can leap six-story buildings if there's a football involved.

The tough calls: Tapscott, although with his bad pre-season I'll be surprised if he gets 10 games. Morton will be at risk from Bate come rnd 2 as Sylvia is a shoe-in. Bennell has a case, as does T-Mac and Couch. Watts a contender to be dropped?

Glad you could pick a best 22 cause at the moment I am stumped. There is probably 25-30 names that I'd be considering. Not a bad problem to have.....

Yep , it is tricky . Though if you take a line through what Neeld is looking for it becomes a bit easier .

Outside types who won't put their head over the ball (all the time) might miss out IMO . Others who won't play in front or can't get to the front position should become casualties as well . Players who can put in 2nd and 3rd efforts consistently and generally are good at the 1%ers could get rewarded as well . A manic attack on the pill will definitely help !!

Early doors , but it seems Neeld is looking for the basic fundamentals of the game being adhered to . What every decent coach should do really .

Cheers

I'm not listing anyone who wasn't played a nab cup game so far as eligible. Until you have a hit out even if its in the VFL between nab 4 and round 1 I don't think you are fit to play. That said I'll make an exception for Trengove (as he's good enough to get a spot on limited form and has a good preseason base) and I'm hoping Grimes is ready to go.

FB: Bennell Frawley Garland

HB: Rivers Sellar Grimes

C: Trengove Moloney Couch

HF: Green Clark Howe

FF: Petterd Watts Davey

Foll: Jamar Magner Jones

Int: Martin Bate Bail

S: Tynan

Backline: I've gone tall down back but I think that's the way Neeld is leaning. If we use Rivers as a third tall then I think Garland has the ability to play short and be more useful than Joel Macdonald. Tapscott and Strauss aren't in contention yet. Bennell gets the nod over Bartram but its close.

Midfield: It's all about the rotations here, with using the half forwards and guys off the bench. We obviously lack class and outside talent but we need to win the battle by intensity. Jamar and Martin are obvious picks. Bail gets the last spot as he's 3 position player who can be used mainly half back and on a wing.

Forward line: Watts gets his spot as the second tall but really I didn't think he was too bad last night, he did a lot of little things. He and Clark will share time deep and up the ground and Howe is important as well. Green needs to rotate in the midfield and play well to hold his spot and Petterd picks himself.

Sub: This spot could have gone to a number of players especially Blease or Nicholson with their pace, Bartram with his competitiveness or Tapscott if he's right to go, but I really want to see Tynan play. I'm super impressed with the way this guy tackles and dives in after the footy and I think Neeld would be to. He looks versatile enough to come on to a wing, back or forward.

Unlucky: Bartram, Blease, Nicholson, Dunn, Gysberts, Davis

Still could make a case: Jurrah, McKenzie, Tapscott, Strauss, Jetta

• Like 1

It is great that this is becoming more difficult the closer we get to Round 1. So here goes:

B: Bartram Frawley T McDonald

HB: Blease Garland Grimes

C: Bail Moloney Jones

HF: Green Martin Sylvia

F: Pettered Clark Howe

R: Jamar Trengove Magner

IC: Watts, Gysberts, Bate

Sub: Davey

At this stage I am not fully convinced about Sellar, Couch, or Nicholson

I am totally unconvinced about J MacDonald and Jamie Bennell.

I am convinced that Jared Rivers will find it hard to get into our best 22

I have changed my opinion about Jack Fitzpatrick - he looked better than OK last night but couldn't find a place for him.

Didn't see enough of Troy Davis or Josh Tynan to form a good opinion.

Lots of others will be pushing (Tapscott, Jurrah etc...)

I hope Kel Lawrence can develop as a crumbing forward - we need one desperately. Any other suggestions for this spot???

Edited by Maldonboy38

Yep , it is tricky . Though if you take a line through what Neeld is looking for it becomes a bit easier .

Outside types who won't put their head over the ball (all the time) might miss out IMO . Others who won't play in front or can't get to the front position should become casualties as well . Players who can put in 2nd and 3rd efforts consistently and generally are good at the 1%ers could get rewarded as well . A manic attack on the pill will definitely help !!

Early doors , but it seems Neeld is looking for the basic fundamentals of the game being adhered to . What every decent coach should do really .

Cheers

I think a good coach values a range of player styles. Yes some basic funadmentals but you've got to have a far wider range of criteria if you want to climb out of the middle of the ladder

I think a good coach values a range of player styles. Yes some basic funadmentals but you've got to have a far wider range of criteria if you want to climb out of the middle of the ladder

Yeah , I'm a great believer in getting the fundamentals right - 1st .

Obviously outside players have a role but IMO they need to be highly skilled . And you can't have too many of them in your team .

Otherwise you might get accused of being "bruise free"

Cheers

Round 1 team - as at March 4 I think we've got some definate's, which leaves a few empty spots to be fought for - nice issue to have.

Certain starters:

FB: Bartram Frawley XXX

HB: Grimes Sellar Garland

C: Jones Bate XXX

HF: Sylvia Howe Petterd

FF: Martin Clark XXX

R: Jamar Moloney Magner

Int: Trengove XXX XXX XXX (sub)

The rest fight for spots. Davey, Green, Watts front of the cue.

the likes of morton, jurrah, mckenzie, tapscott are no chance for round 1 you wouldn't think - simply not enough miles in their legs across pre-season to be a walk-up start in round 1. grimes and trengove will be pushing up that hill to get there in time too. plus i'm pretty certain that sylvia is out suspended, isn't he?

B: Bartram - Frawley - Rivers

HB: Grimes - Sellar - Garland

C: Green - Moloney - Trengove

HF: Howe - Watts - Petterd

F: Martin - Clark - Davey

Foll: Jamar - Magner - Jones

I/C: Bate - Blease - Bail

Sub: Dunn

there's still a lot of questions to be asked about the line-up, and it could very much change after the outing against the hawks.

i loved what i saw of couch in his half of football against the pies, and he'd very much be a chance for the sub role. but dunn did his role well too in that time, and adds height and versatility rather than a pure midfield change-up.

please, no more injuries til round 1!

Edited by DemonAndrew

Bartram Frawley Rivers

Grimes Sellar Garland

Bate Magner Blease

Watts Petterd Howe

Green Clarke Davey

Jamar Jones Trengove

Interchange : Martin Jurrah Bail Moloney

Emergencies : Morton Bennell Gysberts

Unlucky : T Macdonald Couch Dunn Tynan Nicholson

Edited by DeeZee