Has the AFL cost us another player?

Redleg

Given the revelations about the Phil $ contract and that it is accepted by the AFL that it is part of the package for Tom $, then clearly the compensation to us had to be adjusted, to reflect the true package offered by GWS. If the compensation had been improved, we might have been able to snare O'Meara or Crouch by swapping the better pick.

Whatever, I would be mounting a case to get an improved Compensation package from the AFL based on the new information at hand and possible more info to come.

I don't think the AFL will do anything extra for us Redleg. The whole thing is a vicious circle in my view. The AFL knew we would lost $cummy, but knew, through tanking, that we would still have Trengove.

If GWS were to be investigated, it would probably show that we were doing some dodgy things too, therefore, would open a far greater can of worms. Bailey has already hinted that it happened, but Vlad happily swept it under the carpet.

I don't see what tanking has to do with the issue of the proper compensation for Scully.

Scully was a #1 pick.

Two mid first round picks as compensation is a joke and now that there's a cloud over how GWS put the Scully deal(s) together, the AFL should step in to provide proper and adequate compensation and not the joke they offered in the first place.

We got the same as Geelong got for Ablett.

We won't get more than that.

Time to move on.

I agree with you. Geelong wasn't adequately compensated for losing Ablett and nor were we.

But we can still move on and observe all the scull-duggery knowing that if the roof body valued its integrity, the situation would be different.

Yes.

There is an extra 680k unaccounted for in the compensation calcs.

Who knows, maybe that could have been enough to elevate a 'mid-first-round' pick to a 'beginning of first round' pick.

Whatever though. The more the AFL make up the rules as they go, the more they dilute their 'product'.

Beginning to feel rather sorry for young Tom - get the feeling that he may have had pressure of his old man right through his junior footy - and the pickle his old man has put him in might really damage the young blokes attitude toward the game

2011 was one of the hardest years of my football following life but times are darkest before the dawn. 186 and the associated events have led to the return of Garry Lyon and the subsequent overhaul of our club bringing Neeld, Craig, Misson et al - a panel we could only dream of until recently.

Likewise, the scourge of Scully has been a cancer on the club and the impact of the distraction has probably been deeper than we could anticipate - however we now have Mitch Clark and up to three first round picks for next year in a strong draft (one being Jack Viney). IMO we wouldn't have chased Clark if we didn't have the compo picks up our sleeve and we can use our first round booty to chase a Gaff or Pendlebury next year (or just recruit some good kids).

While the continual press around the Scully saga will continue to fuel the debate and provides an interesting sideshow, the reality is the deals are done, the compensation is set in stone and Scully will play for GWS next year. It's probably time we move on and start to look at the future, which may even be brighter now given the events of the recent past.

I agree with you. Geelong wasn't adequately compensated for losing Ablett and nor were we.

But we can still move on and observe all the scull-duggery knowing that if the roof body valued its integrity, the situation would be different.

Fair points both of you have raised

Beginning to feel rather sorry for young Tom - get the feeling that he may have had pressure of his old man right through his junior footy - and the pickle his old man has put him in might really damage the young blokes attitude toward the game

I'm sure with 6 million in the kitty young Tom will get over it soon enough.....

We got the same as Geelong got for Ablett.

We won't get more than that.

Time to move on.

yep, forget about it now, we get two early picks next year, $cummy's gone and good riddance.

Only thing I'm worried is GWS can snare another player from our club,

We saw that last year when Brisbane has no choice but to trade for Jared Brennan and I'm 100% sure gold coast made the approach to both Rischitelli and Brennan at the same time, hopefully we can secure player like Sam Blease before end of next season, or we will get screwed by afl again.

Remeber we are talking about Gubby Allen, he doesn't care about rules.

Only thing I'm worried is GWS can snare another player from our club,

We saw that last year when Brisbane has no choice but to trade for Jared Brennan and I'm 100% sure gold coast made the approach to both Rischitelli and Brennan at the same time, hopefully we can secure player like Sam Blease before end of next season, or we will get screwed by afl again.

Remeber we are talking about Gubby Allen, he doesn't care about rules.

I wouldn't put anything past GWS and I do agree that the rule limiting them to one uncontracted player could easily be bypassed if the AFL turns a blind eye to Gubby's tricks.

GWS are odds on favourites for next year's wooden spoon which gives them first pick in the PSD. They could offer big $s to any uncontracted player - even one from Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle and Western Bulldogs whose uncontracted players are supposed to be off limits and they will get him because they have the extra salary cap advantage.

There used to be a time when the clubs were protected from predators like the GWS in the form of anti-poaching rules. That's now out of the window and the AFL is actively encouraging this activity out of season and during the season even while players are contractually committed to perform for their clubs. As we've seen this allows for a cancerous culture of outright deception and lies to develop in the game.

This is not simply about Tom Scully and us and the recent revelations in the media about the extent the deception that included the offer of employment to his father. It goes beyond that.

Phil Davis walks out on Adelaide and we're told he wants to go to GWS but they're all denying that he's even spoken to them. Callan Ward is spoken to out of season, the AFL investigates and surprise...surprise, there's been no wrongdoing.

Anyway, it's now the turn of a few other clubs. Today's Herald Sun says Scott Pendlebury, Brendon Goddard, Michael Hurley and Ryan Bastinac are the next targets -

Greater Western Sydney hunting AFL's biggest stars

Let the speculation begin.

Anyway, it's now the turn of a few other clubs. Today's Herald Sun says Scott Pendlebury, Brendon Goddard, Michael Hurley and Ryan Bastinac are the next targets -

Greater Western Sydney hunting AFL's biggest stars

Let the speculation begin.

North Melbourne would surely be feeling a little nervous about Bastinac.

I remember reading an article at the time of the 2009 draft that Bastinac and Scully's fathers were both good mates and played football together at Dandenong in the old VFA days. Given what we now know, the chances are that Bastinac already has an offer of employment from the folks at Bleaktown.

I wouldn't put anything past GWS and I do agree that the rule limiting them to one uncontracted player could easily be bypassed if the AFL turns a blind eye to Gubby's tricks.

GWS are odds on favourites for next year's wooden spoon which gives them first pick in the PSD. They could offer big $s to any uncontracted player - even one from Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle and Western Bulldogs whose uncontracted players are supposed to be off limits and they will get him because they have the extra salary cap advantage.

I feel stupid saying this, but I don't believe the AFL will allow GWS to take a second player from a club through the PSD, unless the club agrees. When push comes to shove I am pretty sure the AFL will lean on GWS to go after a different club or take a delisted player. I know all the arguments about wanting GWS to succeed but the victim club would surely go to Court for an interpretation of the rules and the AFL would not want that.

At least we know one thing for sure- they cannot have another crack at our club's players

They can jcb.

They could contract any of our out of contract players at the end of 2012

The difference is this time they have to trade with us. (Suns did this with Bris last year) just no free afl

compo

Or the player could sit out till psd (unless afl put some stop to this)