Col Sylvia is playing International Rules.

Red and Blue Bloke

I always shudder when our players are mentioned for this pointless exercise. Was it Varcoe who popped his shoulder a couple of years back and it hampered him for the whole preseason?

Absolutely agree. A meaningless piece of fluff that does absolutely nothing for MFC. And we put our players at injury risk. Hate it.

Absolutely agree. A meaningless piece of fluff that does absolutely nothing for MFC. And we put our players at injury risk. Hate it.

It's the only time that AFL players will ever get the opportunity to play for their Country. While it is every players desire to win a premiership (which takes a team to do), and openly state that individual awards would be traded for premiership medallions, it is still great to receive some individual recognition for their ability.

I appreciate that it's not even the same game as what they are "qualified" to play, but FFS, it obviosuly means a lot to some players, so let them have their moment (and hope they don't suffer any major injuries).

Spare me about playing for your country. Its a cheap bit of tin and a shallow accolade for an end of season jolly that regularly ends up as a punch up. And the selection is not an indvidual award. Its not a best of anything. I dont know why you would even bother trying to make any comparison with a premiership medal. Its the ultimate chalk and cheese. And a million "awards" to play the hybrid disaster would not even get close to a trade for a premiership medal. Its counts for nothing.

• Like 1

Spare me about playing for your country. Its a cheap bit of tin and a shallow accolade for an end of season jolly that regularly ends up as a punch up. And the selection is not an indvidual award. Its not a best of anything. I dont know why you would even bother trying to make any comparison with a premiership medal. Its the ultimate chalk and cheese. And a million "awards" to play the hybrid disaster would not even get close to a trade for a premiership medal. Its counts for nothing.

Didnt realise you were the spokesperson for every AFL player.. while i agree its not a premiership medal or even in the same ball park, still a thrill and i would jump at the chance to play, like most of the players do.

• Like 1

I agree with you RR means zip to me. Don't go or watch on TV, I have less interest than "State of origin"

I always worry one of our players will get injured.

Agree wholeheartedly -- it is an excuse for a bit of a party, and there is a risk of injury.

Wasn't it just another harebrained idea of the eccentric geriatric (now) from Blacktown, supported by Vlad who thought it would generate a few more $$$$$$ for his salary or maybe bonus?

I agree with you RR means zip to me. Don't go or watch on TV, I have less interest than "State of origin"

I always worry one of our players will get injured.

Absolute Nonsense. Players get injured all the time, training, pre season trial games, intra club matches, NAB cup. they drive cars to, maybe we should only get them to drive in footy season..

Something tells me you would like to head the marketing campaign for this International Rules clash.....

Absolute Nonsense. Players get injured all the time, training, pre season trial games, intra club matches, NAB cup. they drive cars to, maybe we should only get them to drive in footy season..

These things are all essential for playing elite level football. Playing in the IR isn't essential, it's a gimmick and that's it. And you're being silly with the driving thing.

I remember a few years ago Luke Hodge came under fire because he played a game of cricket in the off season for a mate's cricket club (and scored a heap of runs too IIRC). That's a more suitable comparison. Players should be looking after their bodies as best as they can, but obviously within reason (banning them from driving is outside the bounds of reason).

Have you ever gone? its actually pretty entertaining. And really, I got no qualms with footy players trying something a bit different and having some fun. Please remember its not in their contract period, they are adults, and consider that they may actually enjoy it.

Personally, I would rather see State of Origin back on the calendar as opposed to this load of w*nk.

Granted, the risk of injury is always going to be an issue but to see the cream of the competition from their respective states hit the park for 1 - 2 games per year is so much more appealing..

JT - Sth Aus?

TS - Big V?

Hmmm.. Dilemma

Well RR, you're obviously agaisnt it, and I'm obviously for it. Unfortunately for you the AFL are also for it, and reality is, it doesn't matter a stuff what you think, it wont change in the immediate future.

I'd like to know what the players actually think. Maybe they see it as a great way to start some form of training, and get the jump on the "match fitness" that you don't get in the gym. Neeld has made it public that as of 31st Ocotober, the players are expected to start training hard. This may be a better way to get in some acceptable condition as opposed to running laps of the Tan.

Have you ever gone? its actually pretty entertaining. And really, I got no qualms with footy players trying something a bit different and having some fun. Please remember its not in their contract period, they are adults, and consider that they may actually enjoy it.

Not that I care that much, but all players contracts finish Oct 31, don't they ? This match is scheduled for Oct 28th.

Didnt realise you were the spokesperson for every AFL player.. while i agree its not a premiership medal or even in the same ball park, still a thrill and i would jump at the chance to play, like most of the players do.

Oh well live and learn.....

I would much rather you were playing too.

Something tells me you would like to head the marketing campaign for this International Rules clash.....

Who let the cat out of the bag?

These things are all essential for playing elite level football. Playing in the IR isn't essential, it's a gimmick and that's it. And you're being silly with the driving thing.

I remember a few years ago Luke Hodge came under fire because he played a game of cricket in the off season for a mate's cricket club (and scored a heap of runs too IIRC). That's a more suitable comparison. Players should be looking after their bodies as best as they can, but obviously within reason (banning them from driving is outside the bounds of reason).

Quite right. Common sense.

Col's injury history, the fact the game means zilch, I can just see another disrupted preseason

I thought the International rules squad was picked from the AA squad.

Our players have no business representing our country anyway it's not like we earned it

There is no point to this it will end in tears please pull the pin on this carp...

Neeld get on the front foot stop these shenangans

jesus, they have as much chance of getting injured playing in the international rules game as one of the other guys does on an end of season trip in Vegas!

People need to chill out, they are professional sportsmen, an extra game isnt the end of the world. And if they get injured well we've been unlucky

Who's to say Varcoe's shoulder wouldn't have popped out in the first 5 minutes of Round 1. Injuries happen - much less frequently than you might imagine, I might add. Get over it and stop bitching. If the players truly didn't want to do it, then they wouldn't. Who are you to tell them what they should be doing?

jesus, they have as much chance of getting injured playing in the international rules game as one of the other guys does on an end of season trip in Vegas!

People need to chill out, they are professional sportsmen, an extra game isnt the end of the world. And if they get injured well we've been unlucky

You called DemonWA?