Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What? In his first AFL game for about twelve months? I seriously doubt that. I would expect him to play better against the Dogs this week. Who knows what Neeld would have said to him in the review of the Richmond game. Perhaps he's better at developing Morton's strengths than Dean Bailey was. We have to give him at least one more week to show he's capable of learning from his mistakes under a new coach. This "bring a guy in for one week, only to drop him the next" routine is self-defeating and just ruins a team's confidence. Why would you back yourself to take risks when you know that any mistake is liable to see you end up at some wind-swept suburban ground the next week?

Are you Cale's love child? Never let the facts get in the way Chook. Cale played in rounds 3,4,6,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,21,22,23,24

I am sure Neeld din't tell him to hang 5-10m off his player all day and watch him get cheap kicks

I am sure Neeld didn't tell him to drop a straightforward mark that caused a direct goal

I am sure Neeld didn't tell Cale to turn the ball over

I don't like Cale as a player. Never have. He is in fact infuriating.

I have heard Rawlings say that the players over summer had to "re-build their trust" in Morton so the playing group clearly thought he wasn't carrying his weight.

I do agree, that having played him he probably has to play again this week but it burns me up that he gets another undeserving game. Neeld has to see for himself what he can and can't do. I just won't be watching it.

• Like 1

Have found his presence in the team frustrating leaning towards annoying myself. I just kept thinking there must be something that I just dont see.. Thats it in spades really...I just dont see anything ( value wise ) in him and I keep looking , almost hoping to be wrong.

Hed be on my list........ not the keeping one.

Guest José Mourinho

He is mentally fragile, if there was a time when he was going to show some steel it was yesterday. He failed to do it several times. AFL teams can no longer carry a player with his deficiencies.

He looks ok in the clear with no pressure around him, but goes to water when placed under pressure.

Imagine him in a big game where it is is close in the last quarter, or in finals footy???

I don't agree.

If Cale is mentally fragile, is not that something that can be remedied or exacerbated?

He wasn't always like this, surely there is the capacity for change.

The Bailey era clearly was not good for his development or his psyche.

But in the Neeld era, I've already seen some improved performance from him in certain areas.

Neeld is much better resourced than Bailey, yet he's only had a preseason and 3 games to get through to him.

I think I'm a bit more realistic when I accept that it will take a fair bit more time to get through to the players and effect change.

This may come from Cale in the VFL, but we still need to afford them TIME.

Webjet.

The Bailey era clearly was not good for his development or his psyche.

But in the Neeld era, I've already seen some improved performance from him in certain areas.

What a cracker of a comment. Improved performance?? Wow he must have been really bad before.

Exactly what are these areas of improvements?? Pass the Kool aid

I've seen worse games out of him than that. That moment on the HFF was terrible, but his movement to get there was good, and his decision in that situation was not the worst error we made all day.

I'm prepared to run with it. He needs to learn to actually tackle still, but....better.

People saying that he dropped a mark which cost goals ect, Watts dropped a mark and he is meant to have the hands of god.

Jamar making suicide handballs....

Grimes and rivers kicked directly to richmond forwards from a kick in.........fruck....he made some mistakes but EVERYBODY did yesterday

one game and people want to right players off..... give them some time unless they are the worst that week, which Cale wasnt

Edited by Jordie_tackles
  • Like 4

Im prepared to cut Morton a little slack in that it was his first hitout at senior level since last year, the gulf in standard between VFL and AFL cannot be underestimated enough. Tapscott was in the same boat yesterday too. I still cant understand why one of them was not the starting sub.

I am at my wits end with Cale Morton

Very frustrating to watch talent going to waste

All i see him do is get on his own and stay there whether we have the ball or not

Has no defence savvy at all

He plays dumb and should be educated or be traded

One would have thought that Goodes in last years big win over the swans would have taught him enough for a career in 100 minutes of footy

He is running out of chances IMO

All i see him do is get on his own and stay there whether we have the ball or not

One would have thought that Goodes in last years big win over the swans would have taught him enough for a career in 100 minutes of footy

lets stop dropping blokes after 1 game. that doesnt do the list any good at all. we arent going to go for the flag this year. this season should be seen as one long preseason. get continuity in the team . everyone is saying the players arent adapting to the new game plan. well lets keep them in the team until they get. practice practice practice. if morton is messing up then play him again. this season is such a great opportunity for teaching and learning. im not saying that we tank but forget the win loss record , just use it as a 24 week preseason training session. this is why neeld is not making as many game day changes as some of us would like to see. he wants the players to learn their role. i am pretty certain neeld is not worried about win/ loss record either. of course hes not enjoying the drubbings but hes looking at the bigger picture. he has inherited a very ordinary team. to just go for a respectable ladder positon this season is short sighted. he needs to re lay the foundations. now people say but the club said that was being done in the bailey era. well, instead of whinging just face the hard facts - it needs to be done again. now we can moan about that fact or just be grateful we have a coach who is willing to go through this rebuild. facts are facts - the rebuild has begun again.

• Like 3

lets stop dropping blokes after 1 game. that doesnt do the list any good at all. we arent going to go for the flag this year. this season should be seen as one long preseason. get continuity in the team . everyone is saying the players arent adapting to the new game plan. well lets keep them in the team until they get. practice practice practice. if morton is messing up then play him again. this season is such a great opportunity for teaching and learning. im not saying that we tank but forget the win loss record , just use it as a 24 week preseason training session. this is why neeld is not making as many game day changes as some of us would like to see. he wants the players to learn their role. i am pretty certain neeld is not worried about win/ loss record either. of course hes not enjoying the drubbings but hes looking at the bigger picture. he has inherited a very ordinary team. to just go for a respectable ladder positon this season is short sighted. he needs to re lay the foundations. now people say but the club said that was being done in the bailey era. well, instead of whinging just face the hard facts - it needs to be done again. now we can moan about that fact or just be grateful we have a coach who is willing to go through this rebuild. facts are facts - the rebuild has begun again.

I agree almost entierley with you Munga

Interesting that geelong got beaten I think the intensity of the game is difficult even forthe boldest and best With a team of "developing" players it may be best to rest in the minor league after getting a lesson in the majorsI think this is the value of the complete squad against overworking a few.

A business mantra is that "if you want something done give it to a busy person" but this does lead to burnout. At my workplace in line with that philosophy we asked "What did we do with our best workers?" and the answer invariably was we gave them more, WE changed this around to demand better of our poorer workers to improve them to the level of our best often with our best mentoring a selected poorer performer. I am hopeful that our coaches are following this philosphy and providing the mentoring while we dont overload and lose some of the obvious talent that we do have .

That said I am a believer in Watts as he has shown improvement and I am uncertain that Morton has. Perhaps we should ensure we dont waste Watts and improve Morton. Who knows maybe the criticism of Watts displayed on Dland may have helped as I believe as on this thread that there are some very relevant observations.

I dont get to the game but do appreciate the different opinions given The more information we have the better the outcome.

He is worthless i cant believe the club continues unless they refuse to accept they got him horribly wrong

Cale Morton is afraid to get hurt. He cost us about three or four goals today because he refused to put his body on the line. Otherwise, his game was perfectly fine.

+1

We should give him an extended run to save his career at the Dees.

He found the footy, that's the hard part, he spread and got some uncontested ball which our lack of is what has been making us look like a VFL side in the first three rounds.

Give Misson some more time with him...

We have so many NQRs, we can't get tid of all of them.

I think there is some sense in that despite the angst about Morton. He is contracted to 2013.

With NQRs coming out of contract this year we should be able to find 6 to 8 candidates to move on without much concern.

Bate, Dunn, Jetta, Green, Bail are signing their cards out atm. Jurrah...well. Blease Bennell and Bartram are also shaky. Strauss hopefully can make it happen this year.

I think there is some sense in that despite the angst about Morton. He is contracted to 2013.

With NQRs coming out of contract this year we should be able to find 6 to 8 candidates to move on without much concern.

Bate, Dunn, Jetta, Green, Bail are signing their cards out atm. Jurrah...well. Blease Bennell and Bartram are also shaky. Strauss hopefully can make it happen this year.

Blease and Bail I am holding by the wrist - I have hope for them.

I am a bit with rpfc on this - and I still might add Dunn, if he can be moulded by Neeld into a defensive HF who can goal on the rebound.

Morton though will take a lot of work, both physically if Missen can turn some sort of miracle, but more so psychologically which is Neeld's enormous challenge. Is it possible to "make" someone want to join a hard bodied contest? And AFL is brutal, with no place for any timidity at all. Can anyone name any player who has made a significant impression on the game who is / was timid?

We should give him an extended run to save his career at the Dees.

He found the footy, that's the hard part, he spread and got some uncontested ball which our lack of is what has been making us look like a VFL side in the first three rounds.

Give Misson some more time with him...

We have so many NQRs, we can't get tid of all of them.

I wasn't there so not sure it happened, but that passage of play, was on the 50m line-ish on the Southern Stand flank, Ponsford Stand end, there was a contest that Cale just gav up in. From memory it was a 2-on-2, he got pushed off the ball, and just stopped as he thought the hard work had ben done. Richmond cleared it, and left Morton standing flat footed.

It's that attitude/effort that I want to see ANY player dropped if the offend. In Cale's case, as you said RP, he does need some consistency in the seniors, but if any player has that attitude, it won't matter how many games they play they will not succeed.

My call would be drop him for a week, make it clear to teh entire playing group why it happened, then bring him back the week after. It's not personal, it's about playing for your team.

He has been hanging out with the poor performers; Green, Rivers, Moloney, Slyvia, Davey, Watts, Bail, Bate, to long.

it might be worth separating the poor performers so they don't train together.

There would be 38 separate groups.....

Still have faith there's a chance for Cale.

I do too Jose, but that incident I mentioned above must have consequences regardless of who it is. Neeld can make a statement to the whole group by dropping him for a week, or in my view, he can play him again this week by slapping him on the wrists and therefore, what has changed in the coaches box from previous years (except the volume of people in there)?

I do too Jose, but that incident I mentioned above must have consequences regardless of who it is. Neeld can make a statement to the whole group by dropping him for a week, or in my view, he can play him again this week by slapping him on the wrists and therefore, what has changed in the coaches box from previous years (except the volume of people in there)?

Or can make a statement within the club with all players in a comparitive circumstance situation

This is what we expcet better to highlight a better passage of play rather than dwell on a poor piece.

Then get ALL the players to understand thats what is wanted and get them to buy into the criticism and support on the field.

I have stated before its about bringing the poorer performers up to the level of your better performers not penalising your better performers by expecting too much of them. ie Whats the point of dropping him if he is really tuned on to play for Jimma and matches up well on doggies opponent , he now knows not only what he can do but also what he musnt do (as do all players) I think this is development???

Its a bit vague but I hope you can get my drift?