The Brendon Goddard Thread

mrtwister

We badly need experienced, quality players.

Should we be flirting with this one?

If so, who would we trade for him?

Surely St Kilda would love some young blood to rebuild and to lower their contract values.

Is he too expensive? We could get him on trade and then GWS can't take him.

Thoughts?

Would most definitely trade for goddard! He is the midfield grunt and class we are chasing, not to mention his ability to go forward and back when required. Add to this the fact that the man oozes leadership qualities that we so desperately need. At 26 years of age he still has over 5 good years in him in which time he will have helped shield and develop our young midfield group into the potential A graders we all feel they are ala Judd with Murphy.

Unfortunately I couldnt see us getting anywhere near getting him though. The saints probably would want more than the 3 first round (12 and both compensation picks) draft picks we should offer and Goddard would know that there would be alot more coin available from GWS should he wait out the year.

Would most definitely trade for goddard! He is the midfield grunt and class we are chasing, not to mention his ability to go forward and back when required. Add to this the fact that the man oozes leadership qualities that we so desperately need. At 26 years of age he still has over 5 good years in him in which time he will have helped shield and develop our young midfield group into the potential A graders we all feel they are ala Judd with Murphy.

Unfortunately I couldnt see us getting anywhere near getting him though. The saints probably would want more than the 3 first round (12 and both compensation picks) draft picks we should offer and Goddard would know that there would be alot more coin available from GWS should he wait out the year.

But this is under the assumption that he has a choice. Is it not up to the football club if they trade him and to whom?

St Kilda could get something decent in return but certainly not of equal value (that's their issue in the first place)

Also, if we did get him on a trade, he couldn't go to GWS by my understanding. They have already poached from our list.

St Kilda would certainly want 1 or 2 lower paid younger but potentially influential players in return. Maybe Stef? Blease?

But this is under the assumption that he has a choice. Is it not up to the football club if they trade him and to whom?

St Kilda could get something decent in return but certainly not of equal value (that's their issue in the first place)

Also, if we did get him on a trade, he couldn't go to GWS by my understanding. They have already poached from our list.

St Kilda would certainly want 1 or 2 lower paid younger but potentially influential players in return. Maybe Stef? Blease?

Pretty sure a contracted player has to agree to the trade before it can take place. An example of this was when Bradshaw and Riscitelli (Brisbane) rejected their proposed trade to Carlton for Fev, also Josh Kennedy (Carlton) had to agree to go to the Eagles in the Judd deal to get that over the line also. So if Goddard didnt want to come to us because he wanted to stay at the saints, didnt rate us or thought he could get a better deal when GWS comes a knocking then he has every right to say NO from what I can gather. And obviously likewise if StKilda dont think the trade is adequate, despite the fact that Goddard might be happy with the deal, then they too can say NO.

StKilda not getting something of equal value for Goddard at the 2011 trade table is something they might just have to live with. The simple fact is that if GWS get Goddard at the end of next year then the saints will get no more than two first round draft picks, ala Ablett deal with Gold Coast. If they can get something better than this compensation in a trade this year then maybe it is a real possibility for them. Thats not to say they wont play some serious hardball to get the best deal done.

Just that little too old for mine at 26. Will be past his peak when we are challenging seriously, and his price would be too high...

He's the wrong positional type for Us.

But I'd love to have Sam Mitchell with us. But as you say a bit long in the tooth.

The next step is back down to the 22 - 23 yr olds from SA.

Just reading (SNF) theres an article about carlton chasing goddard. "I know alot of ppl dont believe much written on this news site" But it does say goddard would consider a move to a club close to a premiership, now what does that mean?? in the nxt year or 2 or before his career is is in its twilight!

I strongly believe MFC should make a strong play for him and also offer him the captaincy silmilar to judd at "calrscum" (He is a proven leader!)

Also Gilbert, Ray, Dawson and Peake considering their furure!

Do you think any of them would appeal to us??

Carlton in bid for Goddard

Wow, another "It is understood" article from the Hack.

I would love to see Goddard running around in red socks and I'm pretty certain that many of the Saints players would see that the end is nigh..

We could have the upper hand in 12 months time and be an attractive proposition for BJ and others of his ilk.

Surely if its about the coin GWS would beat us hands down.

Yes. But I was also thinking about Gold Coast putting pick 4 on the table, which I think is a strong possibility. I'd imagine, if Goddard wanted out, he'd enjoy moving to the Gold Coast, playing alongside Ablett, and potentially winning a premiership in the next 3 years, as his career approaches its end. And I can't imagine St Kilda turning down pick 4.

I'd imagine we would still be able to offer him quite a bit of cash, anyone have an idea of how much would be available?

Goddard to Carlton makes some sense. He supported them and expected to be drafted there until the salary cap sh!t hit the fan and they lost all their draft picks. Otherwise GWS would be logical for him. In other words, one is close to contending and the other could pay him a sack full of cash. The Demons are in no-man's-land, in other words, when it comes to Goddard. He's a champion but I think we're too far off the pace at this point.

I'd imagine we would still be able to offer him quite a bit of cash, anyone have an idea of how much would be available?

At least $600K-$700K ;)

I forgot Carlton had a magic salary cap. How the hell are they going to be able to accommodate Goddards salary?

Exactly right, how could they fit in Goddard with guys like Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Walker eating up their salary cap? I call shenanigans!