Jigsaw will be complete with a new Captain

Dee Landing

Allus as much as we'd love Chippa as a skipper, I do think being able to front the media representing your team is an aspect of being a Captain, and this is something our poor Chip is completely incapable of. I cringe whenever he talks on radio or TV, he bumbles and is really unclear, always mispronouncing words.

Trust me, I love Chip as much as anyone and he is in my top 3 favourite players, but I don't think he's suited to the bustle of captain. Definitely a VC, doing all the work around the club thought.

It is a hard call though to pick isn't it.

Beamer- Seems to slaughter the weaker teams, yet finds it tough going against the contenders. Also has the drinking indiscretion against his name?

Trenners- Would be my pick, smooth on the field and handles himself so well in the media for a youngster. But is he too young to take the helm?

Grimes- Great leader around the club and solid on the field, but just can't string together games.

Chip- ^^^ as read above.

Watts- needs to string together another good season.

I've said it in previous threads. Rivers for 2 seasons and then Trengove to take over.

Get Trengove, Frawley & McKenzie into the leadership group next year.

Ugh. Rivers? Seriously? He went missing badly in all our losses this year. When we were crying out for leaders, he disappeared.

He offers nothing offensively and rarely has an impact. Won't be in the leadership group next year.

Just give it to Jack now.

Ugh. Rivers? Seriously? He went missing badly in all our losses this year. When we were crying out for leaders, he disappeared.

He offers nothing offensively and rarely has an impact. Won't be in the leadership group next year.

Could not have said it better.

Rivers has very little cred within the league and to make him Captain would be laughable.

Time to be bold and develop the leadership within the club with the new brigade.

JT is the man.

For those contemplating giving Grimes the captaincy, injuries aside, Trengove has played more games for the MFC than him. So why not Trengove? Age - lol, please. If Junior and Green can get it during the twilights' of their careers, why can't Trenners get it at the start. He's the type that would grow as a player from it. He'd relish the opportunity, he'd take it with both hands run up to GWS, and wack it over $cully's money hungry head.

No doubt from the outside Trengove is the obvious choice, the main duties as a captain these days is to represent the team in the media and I challenge anyone to find a better speaker at the club. Everytime he opens his mouth he makes sense and speaks with passion was a natural leader and captain as a junior what the hell has age got to do with anything? Surround him with age and experience but jack Trengove is the most obvious choice since neitz some guys (green, rivers, Davey etc) would love to be a good captain and no doubt highly respected by the playing group but can not speak in a pr sense to the media this IMO is the most important job as captain!

I agree about Rivers having limited impact offensively but would disagree about him going missing in our losses.

In fact out of all the players in our leadership group this year, I'd say along with Jones Rivers was our most consistent player.

Don't get me wrong, long term I see our leaders as Trengove, Watts, Grimes, McKenzie, Frawley etc but I think we need to be mindful of not throwing to much onto Trengove's plate to soon.

The reason why I reckon Rivers works for a 2 year stint is because he's 27, speaks well in the media, is highly regarded at the club and was even previously endorsed by David Neitz as a potential captain.

I'd argue a lot of people would have made the same arguments about Nick Maxwell before he was made captain at Collingwood, however it's been the making of him.

I think Rivers would be a good appointment for a temp basis on the grounds of his consistency, his age, the way he carries himself in the media and his current status within the playing group. Lets just give Trenners till he's at least 22 and played more then 50 games before we expect him to move heaven & earth for the club.

For those contemplating giving Grimes the captaincy, injuries aside, Trengove has played more games for the MFC than him. So why not Trengove? Age - lol, please. If Junior and Green can get it during the twilights' of their careers, why can't Trenners get it at the start. He's the type that would grow as a player from it. He'd relish the opportunity, he'd take it with both hands run up to GWS, and wack it over $cully's money hungry head.

+1. Trengove is 20 going on 30. I have never seen a more obvious long term captain present himself at ANY club, let alone this one. It may send the wrong message to take it off Green (unless he steps down), or the Beamer, to give it to him next year, but he will be a longstanding captain of this club. I would bet my house on it, and couldn't be happier about it.

I've said it in previous threads. Rivers for 2 seasons and then Trengove to take over.

Get Trengove, Frawley & McKenzie into the leadership group next year.

Go back to the Neeld thread and look at the youtube clip of Rivers with Carey talking about us - if thats what he offers as leadership - gawd......

Insipid responses - hardly inspiring

I've no dubt that Trenners is cut from the right cloth to be a great success as a young captain. Leads by example on and off the field, eloquent and composed in the media and grounded enough to make it. That said, I do understand that people would like him to settle in a little more before being shouldered with such responsibility. I can't believe that Jonesy gets looked over. He bleeds for the club, leads by example on the track and virtually all season on game day, speaks well, oh and did I mention he absolutely LOVES the club. He'll go bloody close to winning the Bluey this year, and would IMO be a very deserving and good captain.

It's out of Beamer, Moloney and number 22.

Agree. Like everyone here, I'm a massive fan of Trengove - but he's still too young to be the Captain. Surely that's obvious - I expect the 27 year olds would find it hard to attentively listen to someone that young.

Jones could make a good Captain too IMO.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Agree. Like everyone here, I'm a massive fan of Trengove - but he's still too young to be the Captain. Surely that's obvious - I expect the 27 year olds would find it hard to attentively listen to someone that young.

This. Trenners is a future captain but the cold hard fact is that he's too young.

Is Col not part of this discussion? He's our best player, just re-signed, and Neeld might be the guy to put him on the right path.

Edited by P_Man

I like Jones also he is a very consistent player who gives his all each game he plays.

The discussion around players being too young etc I go to thinking of what the ages of our players are and in particular the age the Melbourne players turn next year so I decided to make a list with Rookies Listed with a *.

Players Age

Brad Green 31

Robert Campbell 30*

Aaron Davey 29

Mark Jamar 29

Brent Moloney 28

Joel Macdonald 28

Jared Rivers 28

Colin Sylvia 27

Stefan Martin 26

Lynden Dunn 25

Matthew Bate 25

Michael Newton 25*

Nathan Jones 24

Clint Bartram 24

Colin Garland 24

Rohan Bail 24

Ricky Petterd 24

James Frawley 24

Liam Jurrah 24

Austin Wonaeamirra 24

Jack Grimes 23

Jake Spencer 23

Cale Morton 22

Neville Jetta 22

Addam Maric 22

Jamie Bennell 22

James Strauss 22

Jordie McKenzie 22

Jeremy Howe 22

Tom McNamara 22*

Daniel Ncholson 22*

Sam Blease 21

Jack Watts 21

Jordan Gysberts 21

Jack Fitzpatrick 21

Luke Tapscott 21

Jack Trengrove 21

Max Gawn 21

Lucas Cook 20

Troy Davis 20

Tom McDonald 20

Cameron Johnston 20*

Michael Evans 20*

Kelvin Lawrence 20*

My out of left field choices for Captain would be Tappy, Ricky Bobby and The Russian.

Edited by Felix da Dee

There is no doubt in my mind that Beamer would excel in the role as captain. It would mean that much to him, probably go as close to as much as it meant to Garry Lyon or Robbie Flower. No doubt if he was captain, unlike someone now, if he was having a bad game, he would do something about it.

My only negative is that he is not old, but getting on a bit. Our greatest captains have been one's that have had time to grow into the role and make it their own. Not just some fill in until the next heir apparent presents himself.

That's where Trengove comes in. He is all class, presents well to the media, has shown fantastic faith in the club, plays with his heart on his sleeve. He actually truly hurts when we lose (not that many at our club do). Trengove is mature beyond his years, and sure he is young, but think of how much of a better captain he would be if he was able to learn how to deal with it from a young age, learn from the mistakes that will certainly arise. The negatives that are bound to come up, would help make him become a better player, person and captain.

We are a young group, and i want someone to lead this group all the way through to maturity. Grow with the players, as they themselves grow too.

Grimes would be a great captain, but at the moment, he has got to make his body his top priority. If Beamer was a few years younger then maybe. But for what this club needs, Trengove has the answers, or if not, he will do his absolute best to get them.

But hey, i'm not part of the playing group or the inner sanctum. But something tells me that they would have learned a lot from naming Brad Green as captain last year.

Go back to the Neeld thread and look at the youtube clip of Rivers with Carey talking about us - if thats what he offers as leadership - gawd......

Insipid responses - hardly inspiring

Agreed. The way Duck sunk the boot in - Jared just bowed his head and took it.

I'm not big on the idea but maybe having co-captains next year will be the best solution.

I get the vibe they're warming up to give it to JT to be honest.

Let's look at it.

- The thank you video to the members? JT

- The front of Generation D? JT (along with Chipa, yes)

- The Scully defence pressers? JT

Personally, I'd rather install JT now as a 12-13 year captain rather than sit around with Green for another couple of years.

I get the vibe they're warming up to give it to JT to be honest.

Let's look at it.

- The thank you video to the members? JT

- The front of Generation D? JT (along with Chipa, yes)

- The Scully defence pressers? JT

Personally, I'd rather install JT now as a 12-13 year captain rather than sit around with Green for another couple of years.

Good to put him and maybe one other "hard at it" young gun into the leadership group. But, don't put the modern game's capatin's responsibilities on to him. If you've watched guys like Maxwell, Hodge and (even)Harvey, they are almost like playing coaches nowadays. If we hadn't offloaded JMc he could have done what he is planned to do at GWS, with us. To put JT into that position would not help either the club or him. Look what it did to Green this year. And Jack is only 20, not 29.