The New Sponsors

beelzebub

Guest Spirit of 39

After speaking to people in the Demon Shop and at one of the AFL stores the club has conservatively missed out on $1,000's revenue by not having its 2012 club apparel available before and after Xmas. Hopefully this is chump change in comparison to what the new sponsor will bring, but obviously not an ideal arrangement.

Edited by Spirit of 39

After speaking to people in the Demon Shop and at one of the AFL stores the club has conservatively missed out on $1,000's revenue by not having its 2012 club apparel available before and after Xmas. Hopefully this is chump change in comparison to what the new sponsor will bring, but obviously not an ideal arrangement.

Good thing they will be talking about Millions of dollars not thousands. to me i t is more just disappointment which they provide to punters out there, kids ect

Although, the expecting late Feb line isnt filling me with confidence atm, that is about as late as you would want them to be coming....... still faith will be there, no point accepting second best at the MFC anymore no matter where it is.

That is what i am hoping is the scenario....gotta spend money to make money...

Personally I dont think theyll 'miss' out onmuch at all. . There are possibly those that wont buy what ever it is they want to but manywill simply delay that purchase until its ready.

A couple of grand v a couple of million...for 3-4 years..!!! hardly worth even worrying about is it.

no idea but the photo of mitch clark on the website certainly has the brighter red in the jumper.....

It certainly does doesnt it.....bout time.:)

If one was .....well... lateral come cynical we might suppose they select 186c for our Red !!! lol :unsure::huh::)

My wild guess,

Wednesday 25th January is an auspicious date in the chinese calender.

Southern China Airlines announced a route from Guangzhou to heathrow which puts them in direct competition with Qantas, eithad, singapore and emirates on the the route to Europe.

They will want to back up the announcement with exposure.

They are mentioned above and Cameron S spent a lot of time in Guangzhou. Can we expect an announcement next Wednesday?

My wild guess,

Southern China Airlines announced a route from Guangzhou to heathrow which puts them in direct competition with Qantas, eithad, singapore and emirates on the the route to Europe.

They are mentioned above and Cameron S spent a lot of time in Guangzhou. Can we expect an announcement next Wednesday?

It would be fantastic if this happened.

Nice thought process Robbie.

I was going to ask whether MFC could get a sponsor which conflicts with the AFL's agreement with Virgin. But have just realised Collingwood has Emirates, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Reason for edit: Confusing my UAE airlines. Corrected Etihad to Emirates

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia

Hopefully the deal has been signed and we are just waiting for the right time to announce. If the above it true we are just waiting until the new sponser is announced in January, the timing might be to kick of our membership campaign. To me it looks like we will start to drive our memberships early next year to date we haven't really had any real push unlike a few other clubs. We will hit 21,000 members before the christmas shut down and hopefully with the announcement of a new sponser and a successful NAB campaign we can push close to 40K by the start of the season.

not much point announcing it on Jan 17 with no merchandise.

perfectly sensible

My wild guess,

Apparently Skyteam are desperate to build their brand in Oceania/Australasia and China Southern only just became an operating member in September last year. Along with what you're saying these are just circumstantial factors but heck no harm in considering the possibility I suppose. I can't see it happening but IMO it would be a massive coup if the club pulled it off.

My wild guess,

Just a couple of things... in what way is Jan 25 an auspicious date on he Chinese calendar? I am currently in Shenzhen and after reading this asked my friend what was so special about the 25th, to which I got the response "nothing". The 23rd however is special, because that is Chinese New Year. Also, not that it matters, but I am just wondering how a Guangzhou to Heathrow route puts China Southern in direct competition with Qantas; does Qantas run a route to London via Guangzhou? (I would have thought they would be trying to raise their profile as a budget carrier for flights from Australia to China)

As far as China Southern goes, I can recommend them... I have used them on my last two trips to China and although they don't have all of the bells and whistles that other carriers have (in seat video for example was non existent on this flight), they are efficient and friendly and very reasonably priced.

Edited by hardtack

Also, not that it matters, but I am just wondering how a Guangzhou to Heathrow route puts China Southern in direct competition with Qantas; does Qantas run a route to London via Guangzhou? (I would have thought they would be trying to raise their profile as a budget carrier for flights from Australia to China)

I thought about that too but a news search brings up this article: China Southern set to take on Qantas which describes the main strategy as offering another transfer hub as well as European options. The part that really made me take notice though was this bit:

The move comes only two months after China Southern revealed plans to increase weekly flights to Australia from 35 to more than 110 during the next four years.

...and this bit

The planned increase in capacity would make China Southern a greater threat to Qantas than Middle-Eastern carrier Emirates, which currently has 70 flights a week to Australia.

In the context of MFC we have no idea what this could mean (probably nothing) but in the context of China Southern they have massive plans for Australia by the sounds of things.

• Like 1

Just a couple of things... in what way is Jan 25 an auspicious date on he Chinese calendar? I am currently in Shenzhen and after reading this asked my friend what was so special about the 25th, to which I got the response "nothing". The 23rd however is special, because that is Chinese New Year. Also, not that it matters, but I am just wondering how a Guangzhou to Heathrow route puts China Southern in direct competition with Qantas; does Qantas run a route to London via Guangzhou? (I would have thought they would be trying to raise their profile as a budget carrier for flights from Australia to China)

As far as China Southern goes, I can recommend them... I have used them on my last two trips to China and although they don't have all of the bells and whistles that other carriers have (in seat video for example was non existent on this flight), they are efficient and friendly and very reasonably priced.

The Date was off the web as an auspicious date so i could be wrong, referred to in a number of places.

Direct competition because at the moment China Southern dont fly to Heathrow from Guangz so you choice would be Melb Sing LHR on Qantas or Melb Guangz LHR on China southern.

I believe the ailrines see this as direct competition like going to LHR through Dubai etc.

Trust me I am no expert on this it was just a thought....

• Like 1

The Date was off the web as an auspicious date so i could be wrong, referred to in a number of places.

Direct competition because at the moment China Southern dont fly to Heathrow from Guangz so you choice would be Melb Sing LHR on Qantas or Melb Guangz LHR on China southern.

I believe the ailrines see this as direct competition like going to LHR through Dubai etc.

Trust me I am no expert on this it was just a thought....

Ok, that makes sense re the flights so yes, it is a very reasonable thought.

From the sounds of it if they are increasing their flights to Australian by around 200% in the next 4 yrs then it stands to reason that Syd/Melb/Per/Bris even perhaps Adelaide will be flying direct to Guangzhou as a transfer hub. This is absolutely in direct competition with Qantas as well as any other carriers who do Syd/Melb to LHR via Bangkok, KL, Changi, HK and to a less extent the middle eastern carriers.

on a slightly different note did anyone catch Don McLardy talking on SEN the other day?

They were talking about Greg Healy coming back in some form of role as Football Director, but Don kinda got coy about a comment regarding quiksilver coming on board as well when I think the Ox joked about it... Probably nothing in it, but it certainly got my attention (Note I couldn't see them coming on as a major sponsor though...)

on a slightly different note did anyone catch Don McLardy talking on SEN the other day?

They were talking about Greg Healy coming back in some form of role as Football Director, but Don kinda got coy about a comment regarding quiksilver coming on board as well when I think the Ox joked about it... Probably nothing in it, but it certainly got my attention (Note I couldn't see them coming on as a major sponsor though...)

Perhaps they could become our new apparell manufacturer. It would be a bold move, but not unprecedented

edit. Few years back St Kilda had Piping Hot manufacturing their jumpers. Not the greatest stuff, but Quiksilver are miles ahead of Piping Hot.

Just a thought.

In respect of Sothern China, I think this has legs! They are definately trying to crack the Australian market. Unless I am mistaken, they aklso launched here with budget flights to Canada? Or North American. I am fairly certain.

Edited by Tingay02

Yes i heard Don speak....He sounded pretty confident in his demeanor that things were rolling the right way on many issues....so we wait and see. I believe the Chinese connection will be made.

McClardy was almost 100% certain Greg Healy will be working for the club....the Ox was also very positive.

Edited by why you little

have you seen the graphics, remember the jumpers from the china match against brisbane.

the chinese writing looks great.

point of difference

it all sounds positive to me....if a deal is stitched up we could become a major player within the AFL again....Sposorships are going to be harder to negotiate in the next 5-10 years...Look at Europe...it is dying by the day.

This China move is very astute....i do not call it lucky because the last Board did initiate this one. We must not let this opportunity go....China is our market at this point.