MFC Presser at 2 PM on SEN

Sir Why You Little

Or maybe because the embarrassment to GWS from him not signing would have made Sheedy look a twit

Yes the AFL are prepared to let the MFC look wounded, but never Kevin.

Seriously i truly hope our administration is ready for a fight, because it is the only way this club will survive

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should all be prepared to be disappointed when the AFL announce the "compensation" picks

We WILL get done over

I told you how they deal with these things in Europe.

Now it doesn't have to be that extreme, but you get the idea.

We make noise!

the biggest joke about this system is everytime GWS take a highly skilled player...it will result in a first round pick. with many teams getting first round picks...a first round pick is going to result in a second/thirday round pick...is there any compensation?

Edited by disco_demon

the biggest joke about this system is everytime GWS take a highly skilled player...it will result in a first round pick. with many teams getting first round picks...a first round pick is going to result in a second/thirday round pick...is there any compensation?

- compensation picks don't have to be used this year. Or even next year for that matter.

- they can be traded, or used as part of a trade. Even back to (cough cough) GWS.

Honestly, I think they handled themselves really well. There was a strong emphasis on the fact that this was an unprecedented amount of money being thrown at a young no. 1 draft pick (and thus worthy of unprecedented compensation) and also that while they would have preferred to keep him, this is not that great a setback for the club in terms of our list building. Very good effort from the VC and CEO all up.

I would love to know exactly how much we offered him with the 5 year deal Schwab mentioned. They said that they were responsible and in keeping with our list building plans which would suggest that it wasn't a massive offer although it would have been heavily front-ended.

Clearly we made a mistake in signing Scully. Can someone confirm that Dustin Martin was offered in the vicinity of 800k last year to join Gold Coast? We should have drafted him.

Money isn't everything for some folks (especially after a nice 60% tax rate). Damn you Scully for stuffing us about for a long time.

Clearly we made a mistake in signing Scully. Can someone confirm that Dustin Martin was offered in the vicinity of 800k last year to join Gold Coast? We should have drafted him.

Money isn't everything for some folks (especially after a nice 60% tax rate). Damn you Scully for stuffing us about for a long time.

I know, we made a mistake drafting the stand out kid in the land and assuming he wouldn't be poached by the AFL's new love child.

Are we meant to be able to forecast these things now? Seriously.

I know, we made a mistake drafting the stand out kid in the land and assuming he wouldn't be poached by the AFL's new love child.

Are we meant to be able to forecast these things now? Seriously.

I'm talking in hindsight genius.

However surely we erred in not even speaking to Martin?

I agree. Handled the China question well and also all the other scuttlebutt simply by saying we asked Tom about these things and he said it wasn't a consideration and they believed him as they did about the decision delay. They painted Scully as honest, so unless Scully announces to the world he is a liar, that should be the end of all that handwringing by some of our members (not that will stop the hardened cases from wringing away).

It was quite believable that the decision was made in the last week or so given that mfc says they started to see the writing on the wall when GWS upped their offer to an extra year. Of course you might believe a conspiracy or bum-covering if that gives you comfort. But who cares - just get decent compensation and congratulate ourselves we may have dodged a dodgy knee and have retained the better player chosen at pick 1.5 - Trengove.

he's a liar, he lied for the whole year, he was going at the end of last year, everyone says he didn't lie but they don't want to sound bitter but its the truth, he has no integrity

I think we all feel rightly angry and disappointed and bitter, because at the end of the day we have to ask WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO US?

We take one step forward then we get stabbed in the heart with a money hungry kid getting paid so far over the odds we can't compete. It's disheartening!

We spent years in Shitsville and we seem to have arrived back there this year. It's been a terrible 2011, and to watch Tom's slimy pathetic excuses only tops that off.

I'm going to have to watch this presser- cos I just saw on the news Sully saying "I decided to do the right thing by the dees and play out the year..." What??! [censored] what? The "right" thing was playing out the year? How about you were contracted you precious little [censored]!!

Ahhhh this is too much for me! It feels like being lied to and used by a mate. I understand he likes cash and it could be hard to resist an offer like that- but FFS, this kid has done a [censored] on our club! Upsetting!

I almost dropped my saw at work today when $cully said one of the reasons he joined GWS was because he was looking forward to playing with a young exciting list.

Weren't you already playing with one? Don't treat us like village idiots mate, this is the part where u lose respect.

Wouldn't use them this year, in fact I wouldn't use them at all - I would trade them away for some ready-made talent.

you must be feeling a bit of a [censored] after telling us all year how honouorable the kid is and that we were all being sucked in to media hype

few wasted posts there eh

I cannot see how anyone can be anything but proud at the way Melbourne have handled themselves to this point. We have not potted the kid all year and offered him the benefit of the doubt. We have stayed true to our overall list and offered the best reasonable offer possible and not got into a pissing contest with GWS. If I had heard that we had agreed to pay Tom $6 million or even offered him a 6 year deal I would seriously be concerned about the people calling the shots at our club. Schwab and McLardy handled themselves strongly yet graciously today and the proof will now be what they can negotiate behind closed doors for his departure.

Scully will be good, I doubt he would be great and would not be suprised if we end up coming out on top with this deal in the long run.

I think we all feel rightly angry and disappointed and bitter, because at the end of the day we have to ask WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO US?

We take one step forward then we get stabbed in the heart with a money hungry kid getting paid so far over the odds we can't compete. It's disheartening!

We spent years in Shitsville and we seem to have arrived back there this year. It's been a terrible 2011, and to watch Tom's slimy pathetic excuses only tops that off.

I don't feel angry. This kid, who appears to be the most wrongly exaggerated talent for many years, gave us very little, and is now the most wildly overpaid player in football history. We are guaranteed 2 first round draft picks, and even if they are at 17 and 18, or if we use them as trade, the MFC has done very well thankyou out of this defection. Tom Scully will be good at best, his knee will likely not allow him 6 years in the game, and I will be very surprised if he ever plays a full year as a result of it.

I am not angry, I am happy.