The Mitch Clark Thread

Heart Beats True

Okay, just say I change my view on Clark being a decent key forward - I'm not but for argument sake I'll put that on the back burner. He is not worth pick 12 + and a compo and this is what we may have to give up to get him. Pick 12 alone - not a bad get. Don't get me wrong I think Clark is a decent player but no superstar. Most importantly, he doesn't want to live here. His heart is in Perth. This is the biggest issue here - he doesn't want to live in Brisbane so I really can't see why he would come to Melbourne. Perth is where he wants to be.

I will agree that Pick 12 + a compo seems to be a bit rich. I thought that combination of picks would go close to getting us Goddard - a proven A-lister. But, this is where I have total faith in the Club - if they believe he is worth that, then they have obviosuly seen enough to believe he will make that level.

They weren't willing to pay "overs" for Crouch, who most think will be a great player, but, if the 12+compo offer is right, they seem (in our view) to be paying overs. Harrington to me seems to know where to stop - he has proven that over the past couple of years, so if he thinks the 2 picks is worth it, I back him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one or the other - not both.

I'm not reading one bit in to the go-home issue. Mitch is heavily invovled in property development/real estate, an offer like ours would help him set up his future.

I will agree that Pick 12 + a compo seems to be a bit rich. I thought that combination of picks would go close to getting us Goddard - a proven A-lister. But, this is where I have total faith in the Club - if they believe he is worth that, then they have obviosuly seen enough to believe he will make that level.

They weren't willing to pay "overs" for Crouch, who most think will be a great player, but, if the 12+compo offer is right, they seem (in our view) to be paying overs. Harrington to me seems to know where to stop - he has proven that over the past couple of years, so if he thinks the 2 picks is worth it, I back him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one or the other - not both.

I'm not reading one bit in to the go-home issue. Mitch is heavily invovled in property development/real estate, an offer like ours would help him set up his future.

We'd get something back from Brisbane for 12 + Compo - they've got decent picks - 29, 30 or 34

I'd offer 12 + Compo for Clark plus 29 - there's no way Freo can beat that.

We'd still have 29, 36, 54 and a compo for next year.

Edited by old55

We'd get something back from Brisbane for 12 + Compo - they've got decent picks - 29, 30 or 34

I'd offer 12 + Compo for Clark plus 29 - there's no way Freo can beat that.

We'd still have 29, 36, 54 and a compo for next year.

Pass. Payin way overs for a good ruckman we don't need or a makeshift key forward.

Pick 12 is all that should be put up. Rather use both compo next year on the supposed superdraft after missing out on Jaegar.

• Like 2

Pass. Payin way overs for a good ruckman we don't need or a makeshift key forward.

Pick 12 is all that should be put up. Rather use both compo next year on the supposed superdraft after missing out on Jaegar.

Jacey, as I've said, do you really think Rawlings/Neeld & co would spend big money on a guy that is a makeshift forward? Do you think Rawlings, in his first month of being an assistant coach at a new club, would put his balls on the line and say "Mitch Clark is worth throwing $500k a year at. He's really a ruckman, but we could probably get him to play forward if that's where our hole is"?

Rawlings is a guy that spent the last 2 years working with Clark, you're a guy who probably watches the odd Brisbane game on TV and maybe the one game a year when they play Melbourne at the MCG. I think I know which opinion has the most substance.

Well you won't get him for that because Freo will offer 16 + 20 which beats 12 IMO - it's that simple.

If we're offering $5-600K x 4 years we're going to need to follow up in the trade with similar value.

Edited by old55

I'm not sure you'd have to throw in a compo pick to beat Freo, what about a second rounder? I'd rather hope a player was in play but there has been no mention of that.

Have you seen that Freo will definitely given both 16 and 20?

Anyway I reckon it just comes down to whether Clark wants to come to us for the money or Freo for WA.

"Mitch Clark is worth throwing $500k a year at.

Rawlings is a guy that spent the last 2 years working with Clark, you're a guy who probably watches the odd Brisbane game on TV and maybe the one game a year when they play Melbourne at the MCG. I think I know which opinion has the most substance.

Fair enough.

But so did Brett Ratten with Brock Mclean. Splashed big dollars on him.

If pick 16 and 20 beats 12, so be it. Walk away.

Don't overpay cause he's the best piece of meat available.

I'm not sure you'd have to throw in a compo pick to beat Freo, what about a second rounder? I'd rather hope a player was in play but there has been no mention of that.

Have you seen that Freo will definitely given both 16 and 20?

Anyway I reckon it just comes down to whether Clark wants to come to us for the money or Freo for WA.

Agree.

WTF!!!! Pick 12 + comp pick, $500k/$600k :wacko:

This is Mitch Clark were talking about, not Wayne Carey.......

Pick 12, $350k at the most.....

We need to pay him extra $$$ to get him across but no way should we pay overs in trade value.

yep... and I'm guessing that this means there is a good chance Clark has reconsidered and indicated he will go to the Dees... I doubt very much Brisbane would be putting themselves in a position where he could walk for free.

yep... and I'm guessing that this means there is a good chance Clark has reconsidered and indicated he will go to the Dees... I doubt very much Brisbane would be putting themselves in a position where he could walk for free.

They could also be calling freo's bluff. They might just be saying no, knowing that Freo are aware of Melbourne's position, hoping they'll just throw in more to the bargain?

I can't help but feel we're doing outstanding work for the Brisbane footy club and Mitch Clark. At 2 pm on Monday when we have zip from trade week we might consider whether it was the right course of action.

Having said that, if it came off I'd be delighted. Looks like a rubbish draft and I'd toss in anything outside the comp pick (which we can use in next year's bumper draft) to get the deal done.

They could also be calling freo's bluff. They might just be saying no, knowing that Freo are aware of Melbourne's position, hoping they'll just throw in more to the bargain?

Possibly, but unless, as someone tweeted "maybe ross lyon could offer half his pay packet to clark as well. Sure he wouldnt miss it", I don't think Freo will go much harder.

I can't help but feel we're doing outstanding work for the Brisbane footy club and Mitch Clark. At 2 pm on Monday when we have zip from trade week we might consider whether it was the right course of action.

Having said that, if it came off I'd be delighted. Looks like a rubbish draft and I'd toss in anything outside the comp pick (which we can use in next year's bumper draft) to get the deal done.

We have two comp picks we can use next year. Mid frst round (Pick 11ish) and an 'immediately after first pick' (Pick 13ish).

I would give up Pick 12 & comp pick for Clark. Not a problem!

He is exactly what we need.

He aint played his best footy yet. I think he is capable of going to another level and start dominating games.

I find it strange that this site is full of people wanting Melbourne to take a risk and go hard at getting what we want. Then when we do people complain about it being too much!!

Obviously Neeld and co and decided that we specifically need a big body that can go forward. Clark is the only one avalible so we are going out and making it happen, against the odds.

Its a specfic targeted strategy and if thats what we need then we have to be preparded to pay for it. Clark could be the link in the chain that wins us a grand final in a few years. Make it happen Dees!!

• Like 2