Who will be the new coach?

Range Rover

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of those potting Ross Lyon were screaming out for Bailey to come up with 'tactics and a gameplan', Ross Lyon is a brilliant tactical coach, he invented the press, had a team that had a fairly ordinary backline undefeated for almost 20 games in a row and lost a close Grand Final to one of the greatest teams of all time in Geelong.... I think that is a fair bit better than anything else we can get, I don't think we can get Malthouse, and many say the same things about him having a great list and facility winning him premierships, also those claiming Roos had Lyon riding on his coattails should look at the games in which a Lyon coached St Kilda pulverised a Roos coached Sydney... Lyon is head and shoulders above anything we have had for a looong while... get him!!!!!!!

Well Said....Ross is a fully professional coach who also fully understands how his opponents work.

Something i always thought Neale Daniher never fully grasped.

Malthouse.

He likes our list, and the challenge has a compelling narrative to it - deliver glory to a big old club which hasn't tasted success for almost 50 years. Become a three club premiership coach - it's all there.

The money won't be bad either if you believe the rumours - at least $1M per year for 5 years.

Fast Eddie, I don't expect, would have the same aversion to Malthouse coaching the Dees that he would with Malthouse coaching the Blues. Lyon would also have some influence re: threats of potential litigation against the rival 'poaching' club.

Fingers crossed.

If not Malthouse, then Lyon.

It's clear that the Dee's are aiming for a tried coach.

Eade is out of the running, in my opinion, as he doesn't have the backing of Gary Lyon.

Malthouse would be on the radar and if he coaches next year, I reckon he'll coach Melbourne.

As for Dean Laidley, I don't think the club will see him as appeasing the supporters/members thirst for a winning coach and therefore if he doesn't win quickly they'll be baying for blood and we'll be back to square one.

Chocco is the wildcard for me, he has a premiership but something makes it hard for me to imagine a great presentation from Chocco.

Ross Lyon is a distinct possibility and he's the guy I hope we get but I think he'll continue at St.Kilda. Really hope I'm wrong.

I believe the only untried coach that Melbourne will be willing to take on would be Mark Neeld, simply because he's at Collingwood. It's an easier sell to the fans.

After all this, I'm going to go with Malthouse, simply because it looks to me as though there are mind games being played between Eddie and Mick. There's got to be unrest for a reason.

Edited by WAClark

within a kick of two premierships. which is a hell of a lot better than any other candidate, other than Malthouse.

nfi

Saints drew one GF. Lost one by 12. Lost another by 56.

6 points or less is "within a kick".

And for the record, a premiership coach is a hell of a lot better than a "within a kick of one premiership, within 12 points of another" coach.

Mark Williams > Ross Lyon.

Was the stupid "nfi" tag at the end of your post introspective by any chance?

For a club that hasn't had a premiership since 1964 I thought supporters would want the bar raised a little higher than a guy who is satisfied merely by his team appearing in Grand Finals.

Ross Lyon is a glorified assistant coach, his only claim to fame is riding shotgun (along with John Longmire) to Paul Roos' premiership at Sydney. He inherited arguably the best list in the competition at that time off the back of his assistant coaching stint and the most notable thing I've seen him do there is make Luke Ball walk away from the club without getting anything for him. Taking a team already playing pre-lims one game further to losing Grand Finals is hardly ground-breaking or revolutionary, I'm pretty sure Grant Thomas would have achieved that (and probably more) if it wasn't for his untimely sacking.

Say Ross walks from St Kilda and comes to a team that isn't already playing in the pre-lims and isn't fully developed like our list currently is, how well do you think that will play out? And if he is such a hot coaching commodity, why are the Saints only willing to offer him a 2 year deal?

A couple of things on this.

If we say that Ross Lyon is only a glorified assistant as he hung off the coat tails of Roos, what then do you say of Chris Scott (current coach) and Mark Neeld (potential coach). You can only do what you can to get into the system and try and get a senior gig.

When Lyon took over in 2007, he did so after a season that saw St Kilda with a 14-8 record and a finals loss to (OMG....) Melbourne. The years before that they had made prelims, so an argument can even be made that the team was on a decline and it needed a rejig (as we all know the equalization strategies employed by the AFL don't allow you to stay up forever). So since he has come in, the saints have finished 9th in 2007 (first year and perhaps the year they needed to alter / tweak their list and game style), lost to Hawthorn in the prelim in 2008 (eventual premiers), won 20 out of 22 in the regular season and lost a Grand final by 12 points (after Rooke kicked a goal after the siren) in 2009, and drew one GF and lost the other in 2010. IN many ways it is remarkable that the saints are still "up" considering the amount of time they have been at the top of the competition. In my opinion, this only validates Ross Lyon as an excellent coach.

Looking at the list at the time when Ross Lyon took over, I think an argument can be made that it was strong, but as stated above, it needed a change and a new game plan to keep it refreshed. I also think that we can over state how good it might have been because we look at the players as they are today and then give them massive ticks for what they were back then. I think the development of a lot of these players has come in the period when Ross Lyon has been coaching. A fair case can be made that he has developed them into even better players. (i.e. Dal Santo for one who has had to change his game and become more aggressive at the contest).

Should we be only settling for a Premiership coach, I think that is a narrow view. There are so few of them, and to have won a GF as compared to losing a 2 GF's in my mind cant be the sole determining factor. you have to think about how the coach will interact with your players, club, supporters and culture. Perhaps we need someone like Ross who gets us playing football which is accountable and competitive? While it is a different situation, imagine that Adelaide determined not to hire Malcolm Blight purely on account of his prior grand final failures......

I agree with someone else that I wonder about his 'dead pan' persona at times, I think a lot of us would agree that we would like a fantastic coach as well as someone who is articulate, media savvy and can market the club and get us profile, but the most important thing is winning games. The other things come as a bonus.

So, do I want Ross above all others? Probably not, I would probably want Malthouse. But I am putting my faith in the club to get the best that they can and I hope and hope and hope they get it spot on.

I just want them to use a suitable criteria, not write off guys that seem to deliver (something that obviously seem to think Ross Lyon does if they are keen to land him).

Edited by Born to Run

Malthouse on SEN this morning.

Maher asked him how he feels (!) knowing he's down to his last 8 or 12 quarters coaching.

Malhouse replied that he was acutely aware that last week was his last home and away game coaching Collingwood.

Might not be the exact quote but he quite specifically said "Collingwood".

There's no doubt he wants to coach on, the question is whether it can be in 2012.

Malthouse on SEN this morning.

Maher asked him how he feels (!) knowing he's down to his last 8 or 12 quarters coaching.

Malhouse replied that he was acutely aware that last week was his last home and away game coaching Collingwood.

Might not be the exact quote but he quite specifically said "Collingwood".

There's no doubt he wants to coach on, the question is whether it can be in 2012.

He should have a chat with his family, go aon vacation for a month and coach Melbourne for 5 years and go out on his terms.

I hardly think that someone as arrogant as Malthouse would like the fact that he is going out on the terms of Eddie McGuire.

Ross Lyons press conference today

At the time Lyon categorically denied the speculation and he did so again on Tuesday morning when he spoke to reporters ahead of St Kilda's elimination final against Sydney on Saturday night.

"Let me just clear it up for everyone in the room, my position hasn't changed, like (Collingwood coach) Mick Malthouse I don't deal in rumour and innuendo," Lyon said.

"Certainly I'm as committed as I've ever been to my role and my status hasn't changed one iota, I think that just answers it for everybody."

"I've answered everything to do with that topic so I'm not going to indulge any more."

In the words of Jason Robards in "all the presidents men" - a "non denial" denial.

Ross Lyons press conference today

At the time Lyon categorically denied the speculation and he did so again on Tuesday morning when he spoke to reporters ahead of St Kilda's elimination final against Sydney on Saturday night.

"Let me just clear it up for everyone in the room, my position hasn't changed, like (Collingwood coach) Mick Malthouse I don't deal in rumour and innuendo," Lyon said.

"Certainly I'm as committed as I've ever been to my role and my status hasn't changed one iota, I think that just answers it for everybody."

"I've answered everything to do with that topic so I'm not going to indulge any more."

In the words of Jason Robards in "all the presidents men" - a "non denial" denial.

Interesting that NOT ONCE has Lyon said "I will be coaching St.kilda next year" He has said everything else, but that!!

That's an answer to a question.

Just not mine.

Source?

You know the best he can tell you is "I know someone close in the Melbourne camp/Thompson camp". No point carrying on and arguing. Let's wait a few weeks and he'll either be a hero or a fool.

PORT Adelaide rejects Chad Cornes and Dean Brogan are headed for the AFL's newest club, where the two veterans will sign one-year deals to play under their premiership coach Mark Williams

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-veterans-reunited-with-williams-at-gws-20110906-1jw0t.html#ixzz1XE2sROAu

Strong indicator Choco is locked in at GWS.

Assuming Ross Lyon isn't available (and it appears all other experienced names are out), Sanderson is the logical choice well ahead of any of the other assistants names being bandied about. (Google him if you don't know his background.)