Trading Ricky Petterd

Guest Gareth Keenan

Guest Gareth Keenan

I expect some to vehemently object to this.

The title pretty much says it all...

His kicking is very iffy, and he has been dropped to the VFL again, after another lacklustre performance.

I think his currency is running fairly high, and we seem to have a lot of medium-sized forwards (plus they are a dime a dozen).

I people are serious about bringing in strong bodied mids, short of recruiting blokes like Daniel Harris (retired, I know), we'll have to give up a good player.

Would you be willing to give Ricky up?

If not, who else?

What do you think we could get in return?

Who should we target?

Discuss.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His kicking is very iffy, and he has been dropped to the VFL again, after another lacklustre performance.

I think his currency is running fairly high, and we seem to have a lot of medium-sized forwards (plus they are a dime a dozen).

I people are serious about bringing in strong bodied mids, short of recruiting blokes like Daniel Harris (retired, I know), we'll have to give up a good player.

If not, who else?

Who should we target?

Discuss.

Tough one - you don't shoot Bambi....

Great clubman who (apparently) rejected a large GC offer to stay with the Dees. Tall(ish) forwards take time to develop and he's had a couple of horrific injuries.

I say no, his spirit and love of the Club is just as important as his kicking....

Great clubman who (apparently) rejected a large GC offer to stay with the Dees. Tall(ish) forwards take time to develop and he's had a couple of horrific injuries.

I say no, his spirit and love of the Club is just as important as his kicking....

I agree Jumbo. There are other more skilled but with less heart, I'd give before Ricky Bobby.

If not, who else?

Who should we target?

Discuss.

Let me start it out (EDIT: whoops- too late). WTF?

Petterd is out injured. Not dropped. Get it right.

His kicking is not iffy either, it's actually quite good. He also has the ability to play as a mid which going forward is what we need from our medium sized players- Flexibility.

And you suggest trading him but don't suggest who for?

Ridiculous.

Edited by Grandson of a gun

Guest Gareth Keenan

Would they hold as much currency?

Gotta give, to get.

*acknowledged that him being dropped is apparently due to a quad injury - the text from the club didn't include that piece of info.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Let me start it out (EDIT: whoops- too late). WTF?

Petterd is out injured. Not dropped. Get it right.

His kicking is not iffy either, it's actually quite good. He also has the ability to play as a mid which going forward is what we need from our medium sized players- Flexibility.

And you suggest trading him but don't suggest who for?

Ridiculous.

As I said, the info I got from the club just said he'd been dropped.

And once again, I obviously don't propose who we trade him for.

I said, a lot of posters have been making demands that we trade in a mature-bodied player or 2.

I'm merely introducing the notion that if we are to trade in decent players, we'll need to give up decent players.

Like Petterd.

Calm down, read slowly, comprehend, then reply.

I certainly don't want to trade him, but I do want to improve our list, and I understand that for that to happen, we need to make sacrifices.

Ta.

Not sure that he rejected a large GC offer at all. The resident D'land unoracle stated he had bought real estate on the GC which meant -he was saying a MFC. He is mid size forward (not tallish) who has had issues his defensive side of his game and his disposal. I actually thought in some games he had improved on some occassions but still goes missing for periods.

Its depends whats on the other side of the deal.

Well, first the trade Jones thread and now another pointless thread suggesting Petterd be offered up just one season after we were all wringing our hands and fretting over the possibility he could end up at the Gold Coast - regardless of what any one of us might think, I somehow doubt the club will be keeping an eye on this thread to get a feel for what they should do during trade week.

The old gotta give to get. Well, yes... but at the same time, you do not shoot yourself in the foot by giving away quality in an area where depth is necessary. If (and in my opinion it is a big "IF") Scully goes, and I assume we will know before trade week, then we have a couple of high picks we can use as leverage in trade deals using players like Dunn, Bate and Warnock who have some currency but need a sweetener to swing a possible deal.

Not sure that he rejected a large GC offer at all. The resident D'land unoracle stated he had bought real estate on the GC which meant -he was saying a MFC. He is mid size forward (not tallish) who has had issues his defensive side of his game and his disposal. I actually thought in some games he had improved on some occassions but still goes missing for periods.

Hence my brackets - sure, still goes missing at times, but don't they all?

Pretty much agree with you word for word here RR, Ricky had a couple of fantastic 'break out' games where he lead the way with his defensive presence that had been hitherto unseen. I genuinely believe he has improved in a number of areas, showed he could push up the ground and win ball in the middle, but now all he needs to do is work on his consistency. He's one of the best one on one marks in the team, but doesnt have the body size to make it a prolonged threat deep forward.

So yes, if he was put up for trade would definitely have currency, but I dont know that a team in our position should be trading out best or bordeline best 22 players at this stage of their developement, especially as he's just notched up 50 games which for us is relatively experienced.

What we are crying out for is a Kane Cornes type, that is hard and can win his own ball in the middle, too often our smaller bodies are getting smashed in the clearances, I think its our biggest structural weakness at the moment.

No... I say trade Jack Trengove. He must be worth something! Oh, hold on, we just signed him for four years... pity, because some other club would probably have given us something good for him. Well, how about Jeremy Howe? He will get dropped this week because he played like a dog against the Tiges. He isn't as good as a key forward should be in his first season. He's practically mature aged now, so let's move him on while he still has currency. TRADE PETTERD? HMPPH!!!

I know I say it about all of forwards but in a proper forward structure Petterd would be very dangerous. He's also increased his midfield ability (maybe) this year.

If the deal was right I'd trade Petterd, ie. he's not untouchable, but I'd rather keep him.

Guest Gareth Keenan

Well, first the trade Jones thread and now another pointless thread suggesting Petterd be offered up just one season after we were all wringing our hands and fretting over the possibility he could end up at the Gold Coast - regardless of what any one of us might think, I somehow doubt the club will be keeping an eye on this thread to get a feel for what they should do during trade week.

The old gotta give to get. Well, yes... but at the same time, you do not shoot yourself in the foot by giving away quality in an area where depth is necessary. If (and in my opinion it is a big "IF") Scully goes, and I assume we will know before trade week, then we have a couple of high picks we can use as leverage in trade deals using players like Dunn, Bate and Warnock who have some currency but need a sweetener to swing a possible deal.

Yeah, I knew the suggestion of Ricky would get a few noses out of joint, but if not him, then who?

Sorry, but Bate, Dunn or Warnock plus a draft pick will not cut it, unless you're not looking to land more than a Henry Slattery or Nathan Foley.

Even then you might struggle.

If Petterd really necessary depth?

And I wasn't wringing my hands, worries Petterd would go.

Nor do I think the club keeps an eye on hardly any Demonland thread.

I'm more raising the issue, that if we are to experience a busy trade week for MFC, guys like Petterd could be the ones involved.

That is, if we're hoping to get something decent in return.

In regards to his kicking - his field kicking is acceptable, but his kicking for goal, for a forward, is patchy.

Guest Gareth Keenan

*nor did it say he was dropped and playing for Casey

That's right, but there wasn't news of an injury before today, so I assumed.

In the end, it is largely irrelevant to the discussion.

Yeah, I knew the suggestion of Ricky would get a few noses out of joint, but if not him, then who?

Sorry, but Bate, Dunn or Warnock plus a draft pick will not cut it, unless you're not looking to land more than a Henry Slattery or Nathan Foley.

Even then you might struggle.

If Petterd really necessary depth?

And I wasn't wringing my hands, worries Petterd would go.

Nor do I think the club keeps an eye on hardly any Demonland thread.

I'm more raising the issue, that if we are to experience a busy trade week for MFC, guys like Petterd could be the ones involved.

That is, if we're hoping to get something decent in return.

In regards to his kicking - his field kicking is acceptable, but his kicking for goal, for a forward, is patchy.

My nose is hardly "out of joint". You might be surprised just how well regarded Bate, Dunn and Warnock are outside (particularly Bate and Dunn). I would say that Petterd is definitely necessary depth... tell me who you consider to be currently good forward line depth at the club? Most of our forwards have gone missing, so why single out Petterd? Why not suggest Jurrah?... he would have far more currency and he has some major flaws in his game... does X factor cut it and make him an untouchable? And not just forwards...what about Davey? What about Sylvia? What about Rivers? What about Moloney? All of these players have more currency than Petterd and all of them go missing from time to time and usually when they are needed most.

Maybe you weren't concerned about the possibility of Petterd going to the GC, but I can assure you that many were... just go back through the forums.

Edited by hardtack

Guest Gareth Keenan

Tempers running hot at the prospect of giving up a player actually worth something!

Petterd, Howe, Jurrah, Sylvia, Green, Dunn, Bate, (potentially Tapscott)...

All medium-sized forwards.

Bate & Dunn contracted for 2012, remember.

That's an excess of that type, in my opinion.

Ricky for me is one of those "untouchable" players. He would have kicked an extra 10-15 goals this season if we could deliver the f'ing ball into the forwardline properly.

Good clubman, good player. We need more players at the club that bleed for the jumper. You don't trade those blokes.

Tempers running hot at the prospect of giving up a player actually worth something!

Petterd, Howe, Jurrah, Sylvia, Green, Dunn, Bate, (potentially Tapscott)...

All medium-sized forwards.

Bate & Dunn contracted for 2012, remember.

That's an excess of that type, in my opinion.

Dunn, Bate, Green have limited trade worth. Jurrah, Howe, Sylvia probably not going anywhere. That leaves Petterd, who is below those guys imo.

Trade him if good deal comes up. Need some bigger bodies down back imo.

Guest Gareth Keenan

My nose is hardly "out of joint". You might be surprised just how well regarded Bate, Dunn and Warnock are outside (particularly Bate and Dunn). I would say that Petterd is definitely necessary depth... tell me who you consider to be currently good forward line depth at the club? Most of our forwards have gone missing, so why single out Petterd? Why not suggest Jurrah?... he would have far more currency and he has some major flaws in his game... does X factor cut it and make him an untouchable? And not just forwards...what about Davey? What about Sylvia? What about Rivers? What about Moloney? All of these players have more currency than Petterd and all of them go missing from time to time and usually when they are needed most.

Maybe you weren't concerned about the possibility of Petterd going to the GC, but I can assure you that many were... just go back through the forums.

Apologies, "noses out of joint" comment wasn't aimed specifically at you.

I might be surprised, and I hope I am, but I don't think I will be.

Mid-sized orward line depth listed above. Talls would be Watts, Cook, Fitzpatrick, Martin, McDonald.

I suggested Petterd purely because he was left out of the side, and I wanted to see what the reaction would be when supporters are faced with the prospect of losing a specific player that they valued, rather than making a just a general suggestion of "someone of value", or suggesting a player like Morton or Jones who seem to be popular martyrs.

The reality is that we probably will lose a valued player, if we are to trade and get something good in return.

Surprised so many are so strongly against him being traded though.

He's not that irreplaceable.

I wouldn't think about it twice if we could get a good deal.

I know I say it about all of forwards but in a proper forward structure Petterd would be very dangerous. He's also increased his midfield ability (maybe) this year.

If the deal was right I'd trade Petterd, ie. he's not untouchable, but I'd rather keep him.

Good call and can be very dangerous. In the top half of the list.