Trading Ricky Petterd

Guest Gareth Keenan

We will have picks to trade and sweeteners such as Bate, Dunn and Maric. Why on earth would we trade quality blokes that will be part of a push toward a premiership! You don't get something for nothing but first round picks get trades done.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a bit like calling arsenic a sweetener.

Most unkind but funny.

Good quality player we could do without, which means if we can replace Ricky with something we are more desperate for, like a big bodied clearance player, or a tall forward, or a lightening quick small defender, I'd absolutely consider it.

Let's sort out the coach first. Then we know what cattle is needed.

I would prefer to keep Petterd...i think he is "Flag Core"

Flag core I like it-wyl

I agree in fact another post of who is flag material "moving forwards " would be a good one or am I getting ahead of meself...??

Not sure that he rejected a large GC offer at all. The resident D'land unoracle stated he had bought real estate on the GC which meant -he was saying a MFC. He is mid size forward (not tallish) who has had issues his defensive side of his game and his disposal. I actually thought in some games he had improved on some occassions but still goes missing for periods.

Its depends whats on the other side of the deal.

I agree- but Petterd has good upside and shows flexibility.A huge pre season wouldn't go astray.

No... I say trade Jack Trengove. He must be worth something! Oh, hold on, we just signed him for four years... pity, because some other club would probably have given us something good for him. Well, how about Jeremy Howe? He will get dropped this week because he played like a dog against the Tiges. He isn't as good as a key forward should be in his first season. He's practically mature aged now, so let's move him on while he still has currency. TRADE PETTERD? HMPPH!!!

I've been saying for years we should try and get a good trade for Watts too! I was thinking POSSIBLY Frawley, but he's 50-50 cos he has a good attitude to training and stuff.

I wasnt thinking about trading Petterd but earlier today i thought to myself, i think SEN said the word Lecras.... and i thought how many genuinely good medium forwards are there in the league??

Lecras,Stevie J, Didak.. any others?

O'Keefe?

And we have Bate, Dunn, Petterd, Jurrah, Howe

To many imo and none in the top echelon, but we wouldnt get much value from Dunn and Bate

Onto Petterd, would have some value, has obvious talents, what would i want?? some involvement in the GWS's mini draft at pick 1 or 2, i know he wont do the deal on his own but thats something i would take in return

Would you be willing to give Ricky up? NO!

If not, who else? Morton, Bate, Dunn, Green, Evans, Mcnamara, Spencer, Warnock...

What do you think we could get in return? Lake, Goddard, Fevola, Lovett, pick 10, pick 19...

Who should we target? Brain Lake, Brendon Goddard.... Mick Malthouse

Also Keep Tom Scully!!!!

Edited by tatu

:huh: Gumbleton? Pears? .....for a proven goal kicker? hmmm......

Ricky's got kicking action issues. Good player but flawed in the most fundamental area.

And I wouldn't call him 'proven' just yet.

Gumbleton has massive upside and Pears will be a rock in defence for 10 years.

I expect some to vehemently object to this.

The title pretty much says it all...

His kicking is very iffy, and he has been dropped to the VFL again, after another lacklustre performance.

I think his currency is running fairly high, and we seem to have a lot of medium-sized forwards (plus they are a dime a dozen).

I people are serious about bringing in strong bodied mids, short of recruiting blokes like Daniel Harris (retired, I know), we'll have to give up a good player.

Would you be willing to give Ricky up?

If not, who else?

What do you think we could get in return?

Who should we target?

Discuss.

VERY interesting post. Some of it dead on, some of it couldn't be more off...

eg: His kicking isn't "very" iffy. It's actually pretty good most of the time. He's no surgeon, but they can't all be, and when his teammates are running to position I trust him. His currency is high yes, but he hasn't been dropped to the VFL. Sicne returning to the side he's been one of our best. Can't remember when his last howler was. Again you get it right with the fact we have almost too many mid sized forwards... Green, Jurrah, Howe etc... But he's not the one to pick.

And the first response got it in one.

Unless we get someone with the drive & determination of Ricky, I would say pass.

That's it in a nutshell. What small flaws he has he's shown a propensity to work on. He's the picture of a modern-day footballer... While his currency is high, we'd almost certainly not get anything better than him in a trade.

Good try though. The whole idea of giving up something to get something is sound... and forgotten most of the time on here.

Petterd's a required player. Simple.

Dead set, cannot some of you see the importance of certain players to this list - if there's one lesson of 2011, it is that the club cannot disrespect the loyalty displayed by some of our better players. This is not like trading footy cards.

Trade Petterd = kill club culture.

Petterd's a required player. Simple.

Dead set, cannot some of you see the importance of certain players to this list - if there's one lesson of 2011, it is that the club cannot disrespect the loyalty displayed by some of our better players. This is not like trading footy cards.

Trade Petterd = kill club culture.

I think if there's a lesson of 2011, it's that the concept of loyalty is being seriously diluted and as far as Melbourne goes, very few senior players can hang their hat on the wall and say they've had a great year.

If an attractive trade offer was made for Petterd, you'd look at it. Simple.

Watts, Trengove and Frawley are the only three absolutely untouchables on our list IMO.

Edited by Range Rover

Good quality player we could do without, which means if we can replace Ricky with something we are more desperate for, like a big bodied clearance player, or a tall forward, or a lightening quick small defender, I'd absolutely consider it.

Fully understand the OP, and think this is by far the best response.

Some on here continually abuse others for accepting mediocrity, yet some of those are convinced we can't live without Petterd, interesting...

Required players, geez turn it up.

I require them not to lose by a million points to Geelong again.

To that end I'll p!ss off anyone that gets us closer to a better side.

Yep, it seems you are not alone in that regard.