DELIVERANCE

Demonland

DELIVERANCE by The Oracle

If there's one thing we should have all learned during the course of this season it's that when it comes to anything related to the Melbourne Football Club, there is absolutely nothing that we can take for granted.

During the four week period in which the Demons were battered from pillar to post by four of the AFL's top five, the conventional wisdom was that the final three games of the home and away season would bring relief and deliverance to a stunned Demon supporter group that was still coming to grips with the rapidity of the breakdown of their team's push towards a possible finals appearance and the events that led to the dismissal of coach Dean Bailey.

The theory that the club would make an easy return to the winner's list went out of the window early in last week's game against the Tigers when its resistance was so meek in the early going that it found itself more than four goals in arrears at the main break.

The Demons fought back to regain the lead and go into the final term eight points in front but they faltered at the end to lose by seven points and collapse to a season low 13th place on the ladder.

This week Melbourne welcomes the Gold Coast Suns to the MCG for the first time ever and the football public expects the young AFL newbies to crumble on football's biggest stage. Both sides have lost five games in a row and ironically, their last victories were achieved in the heat of the tropics in round 17. Melbourne beat Port Adelaide in the Darwin heat while Gold Coast shocked Richmond on hot and windy afternoon in Cairns. Tiger fans were literally crying their eyes out on talkback radio after the defeat. One of them even went so far as to destroy his entire family's membership cards in the micro wave. Two weeks later it was the turn of Demon fans after 186.

So can Melbourne make it back to the winner's list against the Suns?

Well, they better will because, if they don't, then thousands of microwaves will be moved into action and the atmosphere over this great city of ours will be filled with such a devastating carbon footprint of smouldering red and blue plastic that even Julia Gillard's new tax will never be able to recover the carbon credits lost on the day.

Melbourne players - for the sake of the country, this must not be allowed to happen!

THE GAME Melbourne v Gold Coast at the MCG Sunday 28 August 2011 at 2.10pm.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 1 win Gold Coast 0 wins

MCG Melbourne 0 wins Gold Coast 0 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 1 win Gold Coast 0 wins

The Coaches Viney 0 wins McKenna 0 wins

MEDIA

TV - Channel 7 at 3:00 pm (on delay)

Radio - 3AW Triple M K-Rock

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 23.21.159 defeated Gold Coast 9.15.69 at the Gabba in Round 4, 2011

Brent Moloney was the hard body who gave Melbourne the momentum after some early stutters. He finished with 32 disposals and was the hero of the Demon victory. Although the team was in control by half time, it conceded the third quarter to the Suns to give them the first winning term in their history. 

An eight goal final quarter quickly blotted out all memory of this aberration as the Dees coasted to a 16 goal victory.

THE BETTING 

Melbourne $1.10 to win Gold Coast $6.75 to win

THE TEAMS 

MELBOURNE

Backs Colin Garland James Frawley Clint Bartram

Half backs Luke Tapscott Jared Rivers Tom McDonald

Centreline Sam Blease Brent Moloney Jack Trengove

Half forwards Tom Scully Stef Martin Brad Green

Forwards Liam Jurrah Jack Watts Jamie Bennell

Followers Mark Jamar Neville Jetta Nathan Jones

Interchange Jeremy Howe  Jordie McKenzieTom McNamara Cale Morton

Emergencies Jack Fitzpatrick Joel Macdonald Daniel Nicholson

In Neville Jetta Tom McDonald Tom McNamara LukeTapscott 

Out Aaron Davey (suspended) Joel Macdonald Ricky Petterd (quadriceps) Colin Sylvia (suspended)

New Tom McDonald (North Ballarat Rebels)

GOLD COAST SUNS

Backs Seb Tape Rory Thompson Karmichael  Hunt

Half backs Nathan Bock Jared Brennan Jarrod Harbrow

Centreline Matt Shaw David Swallow Dion Prestia

Half forwards Luke Russell Trent McKenzie Daniel  Stanley

Forwards Tom Hickey Nathan Ablett Brandon Matera

Followers Zac Smith Gary Ablett Michael Rischitelli

Interchange (from) Harley Bennell Josh Caddy Jacob Gillbee Jack Hutchins Sam Iles Josh Toy Maverick Weller

Interchange Harley Bennell Josh Caddy Sam Iles Maverick Weller

Emergencies Jacob Gillbee Jack Hutchins Josh Toy

In Josh Caddy Sam Iles Brandon Matera Zac Smith

Out Joseph Daye Josh Fraser (illness) Steven May Joel Tippett

New Josh Caddy (Sandringham Dragons) 

NO COASTING

So Melbourne's faint hopes of making the finals after a month of turbulence are now officially done and dusted. They were all but snuffed out when St. Kilda gave up the ghost in the final quarter at the SCG on Sunday and were buried completely at some stage during the Melbourne v Richmond game at the MCG later on that afternoon.

As for the Gold Coast, their maiden year in elite competition was never meant to be one in which the finals were part of the season's calculations. They have been looking towards 2012 and beyond for some time and one wonders whether the mystique of playing at the MCG will be enough to lift what appears to be a tiring young side.

The Coasters are up against it in this fixture. 

Firstly, despite some barren seasons of late, Melbourne has been good in its recent games against clubs from interstate - they have won ten of their past eleven such matches. 

On the other hand, McKenna's men haven't won a game in Victoria with victories coming in Adelaide, at the Gabba and in Cairns. 

The Suns are also notoriously poor starters having lost 11 of their

last 12 first quarters often finding themselves several goals in arrears at the first change of many games.

The way I see it the Suns need Gary Ablett to play an absolute blinder rather than his usual common, ordinary, garden variety blinder. There isn't enough depth at the club to capitalise on Ablett's edge in skill and leadership although a good effort from Michael Rischitelli would be handy.

The Demons will get the edge through Mark Jamar in the ruck. If he can recapture some of his marking ability it will be all over. I expect the hard bodied Brent Moloney and Nathan Jones with the persistent Jordie McKenzie to seal the deal. Look out for Neville Jetta whose form at VFL level has been exemplary.

Melbourne by 29 points

They will be pretty pumped.

Gold Coast's first game at the MCG?

Certainly is.

Most of them will be like kids in a lolly shop on arrival.

They'll be well led by Ablett.

Let's hope our boys come out firing.

I'd imagine it would be terrific value for Gold Coast at the line, just quietly, but that remains to be seen.

As I said last week, all 3 remaining games we are no certainties in either.

Certainly is.

Most of them will be like kids in a lolly shop on arrival.

They'll be well led by Ablett.

Let's hope our boys come out firing.

I'd imagine it would be terrific value for Gold Coast at the line, just quietly, but that remains to be seen.

As I said last week, all 3 remaining games we are no certainties in either.

Agree HT however you can drop the "3 remaining games "

I have a feeling it will apply for all of 2012

Tom McNamara has been promoted off the rookie list, so he would be one inclusion. Good in, looking forward to seeing him play...

Deserves a game

In betting terms...$1.10 for Melbourne is a bad bet... but I think $6.75 for Gold Coast represents great value.

I tend to agree, however couldn't back a team against the Dees but at these odds couldn't back the Dees either

Tom McDonald to debut, congratulations Tom thorougly deserved!

And Fitpatrick on the bench 'froms' to also potentially debut:

B: Colin Garland, James Frawley, Clint Bartram

HB: Luke Tapscott, Jared Rivers, Tom McDonald

C: Sam Blease, Brent Moloney, Jack Trengove

HF: Tom Scully, Stef Martin, Brad Green

F: Liam Jurrah, Jack Watts, Jamie Bennell

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Neville Jetta, Nathan Jones

I/C (from): Cale Morton, Jordie McKenzie, Joel Macdonald, Tom McNamara, Jeremy Howe, Daniel Nicholson, Jack Fitzpatrick

IN: Tom McNamara, Luke Tapscott, Jack Fitzpatrick, Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Daniel Nicholson

OUT: Aaron Davey (suspension), Colin Sylvia (suspension), Ricky Petterd (quadriceps)

NEW: Tom McDonald, Jack Fitzpatrick

And now for a stab at the final bench.

I/C (from): Cale Morton, Jordie McKenzie, Joel Macdonald, Tom McNamara, Jeremy Howe, Daniel Nicholson, Jack Fitzpatrick

You'd think with Petterd out injured, there's no way they would not select Howe.

MacDonald has been as good as he has been bad the last few weeks, but unlike not many others

he attacks the ball ferociously and doesnt deserve to be dropped.

McKenzie similarly is a workhorse whose workrate cannot be questioned, albeit he lacks polish. He doesnt deserve to be dropped.

Morton comes off his best game for quite some time so is safe also,despite his many detractors on here (and yes, i was screaming at him to attack the contest in vain last week too).

Fitzpatrick, McNamara, Nicholson the subs for mine, although they may be tempted to utiilise Nicholsons pace given Davey and Sylvia are out who quite often provide run (well Davey used to). A case can be made that McNamara will also be selected, as usually when players are elevated they get the call up that week, although I've seen enough of him both as a defender and midfielder to not get very excited.

Tom McNamara has been promoted off the rookie list, so he would be one inclusion. Good in, looking forward to seeing him play...

Tom was pretty ordinary hen he played in the NAB cup matches but that was as a defender and it seems that he's got a new life playing in the midfield with Casey so he deserves a game. Problem is we are up against Gold coast and Port over the next two weeks and if he fires against them then it won't prove much.

Really glad to see Tom McDonald get a game he has put everything in to getting on to an AFL list so he deserves some reward, might be a handy player as well.

Jetta starting in the middle?

Edited by RobbieF

And now for a stab at the final bench.

You'd think with Petterd out injured, there's no way they would not select Howe.

MacDonald has been as good as he has been bad the last few weeks, but unlike not many others

he attacks the ball ferociously and doesnt deserve to be dropped.

McKenzie similarly is a workhorse whose workrate cannot be questioned, albeit he lacks polish. He doesnt deserve to be dropped.

Morton comes off his best game for quite some time so is safe also,despite his many detractors on here (and yes, i was screaming at him to attack the contest in vain last week too).

Fitzpatrick, McNamara, Nicholson the subs for mine, although they may be tempted to utiilise Nicholsons pace given Davey and Sylvia are out who quite often provide run (well Davey used to). A case can be made that McNamara will also be selected, as usually when players are elevated they get the call up that week, although I've seen enough of him both as a defender and midfielder to not get very excited.

With McDonald coming in i think it might mean MacDonald going out (also given that we aren't going to make finals and they need to have a look at some kids).

For mine it is a bench of Morton, McKenzie, Nicholson and i would love to see Fitzpatrick play but i suppose it comes down to he and how Howe is travelling physically (and whether the Casey finals qualification comes in)

Well done Tommy Macdonald! The boy can play and he's a ripping kid.

Agree fully- And Gee with another athletic tall in the backline it really makes our defence in 2012,one that looks better than just ok. It may also allow Garland to play on a wing which I feel he is more suited to.

some newbies to light up the game..Dees by 66 !!

what ??

I can be enthusisastic occasionally !! :lol:

Its junk time...we'll probably lap it up :rolleyes:

Will be interesting if Fitzpatrick gets a game in all honesty he doen't deserve one after injury lay off and a couple of games at Casey you only would be playing him for a taste of AFL footy. To me we will line up as

Tapscott Frawley Garland

Bennell Rivers MacDonald

Scully Moloney Jones

Howe Watts Jetta

Green Martin Jurrah

Jamar Trengove Bartram

Blease Morton McKenzie

McDonald

McNamarra Nicholson Fitzpatrick