Nathan Bassett a dark horse ?

dee-eee

Mature age Carlton recruit Nick Duigan was hugely impressive on ONE WEEK AT A TIME. The Masters graduate raved about the ability of his coach at Norwood, Nathan Bassett, both as tactitian and motivator. He apparently took the club from the the Wooden Spoon to the Grand Final in his first year! Maybe he's a left field choice but i hope he is considered. He was critical of us when he left to join Adelaide so i guess we may need to approach HIM to apply.

Has put himself out of the running for the coaches job over here in Adelaide, as he has clearly stated he is going to honour his contract at Norwood...

Contracted till the end of 2012....

Won't be coaching AFL in 2012....

Mature age Carlton recruit Nick Duigan was hugely impressive on ONE WEEK AT A TIME. The Masters graduate raved about the ability of his coach at Norwood, Nathan Bassett, both as tactitian and motivator. He apparently took the club from the the Wooden Spoon to the Grand Final in his first year! Maybe he's a left field choice but i hope he is considered. He was critical of us when he left to join Adelaide so i guess we may need to approach HIM to apply.

I must be missing something others are seeing?

SAFL V AFL

Inexperianced Coach V Experianced Coach

Inexperianced Coaches have not worked for The MFC in the last 20 years.

The last two AFL Experianced Coaches Barassi & Northey where a mixed bag.

Barrassi's coaching stint at Melbourne a failure, Northey's a success was very unlucky not to deliver the ultimate prize.

Since Northey we have had all inexperianced AFL Coaches.

Balme, Daniher & Bailey - Balme & Daniher gave us some hope however never really threatned to deliver The Holy Grail.

I know we made The Grand Final in 2000. But seriously we where never really a chance in that year.

Surely its time again to appoint a Coach with previous AFL Coaching experiance.

One that already has tasted Premiership success - Malthouse or Williams would be a huge bonus.

Its time to say stuff left field options, stop being so conservative & land the Best Coach available.

For mine this is a no brainer - Malthouse is the Man.

Lets not die wondering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Old Man Rivers

SAFL V AFL

Barrassi's coaching stint at Melbourne a failure, Northey's a success was very unlucky not to deliver the ultimate prize.

Balme, Daniher & Bailey - Balme & Daniher gave us some hope however never really threatned to deliver The Holy Grail.

I know we made The Grand Final in 2000. But seriously we where never really a chance in that year.

One that already has tasted Premiership success - Malthouse or Williams would be a huge bonus.

Its time to say stuff left field options, stop being so conservative & land the Best Coach available.

+1

Yes i heard he is going to be a new Dad, so he is happy at Norwood

Not interested in the AFL hours, but i have heard huge raps on him, so maybe worth a phone call at least.

Go the Red Legs.

Go you legs! Beloved Norwood.

SAFL V AFL

Spot on Mate...I have money on Malthouise for 2012....i am quietly confident at this stage.

But i have heard great things about Nassett, none the less but he was quite emphatic...NO AFL.

SAFL V AFL

Just like you up against me --HA HA.....

Not just Duigan but Puopolo and Lower as well. They might well be the best 3 mature age pick ups from last years draft (besides Jeremy Howe!). I'm very surprised one of the top clubs hasn't convinced him to sign on as a development coach already, but maybe Bassett prefers being in charge.

I'd probably prefer the safer option of either Malthouse, Eade or one of the top line assistants like Neeld, but if the panel thought Bassett was the man then I'd embrace that decision.

Melbourne was John Northey's first AFL coaching gig.

From my title, you can see that I follow the mighty red-&-blue in both AFL & SANFL. Nathan Bassett has rapidly gained a reputation for developing players. The local Advertiser last weekend had a spread listing Duigan, Puopolo, Phillips & Lower from last year's Grand Final side, all of whom have slotted successfully into AFL sides this year as mature-age recruits. There are a couple more at the Parade that could do equally as well in 2012.

Nathan Bassett has however stated that he is not interested in AFL coaching at this stage and has confirmed that he will coach Norwood in 2012. The attachment is a press release from the Norwood website when Nathan removed himself from speculation about the Crows job.

Go Legs!

BASSETT TO STAY AT THE PARADE

2 August 2011

Bassett to Stay at The Parade

Nathan Bassett will coach the Norwood Football Club in 2012.

The club is pleased to confirm that Nathan will be at the club next season and see out his three year contract in full. Both parties see this as the most beneficial outcome and they will continue to work to the original plan of working together for three years and achieve what it had set out to do.

Chief Executive Officer Dominic Shepley said

“This is a true indication of the individual that is Nathan Bassett. With a lot of movement about to take place in football he has looked at what is best for the club and for himself and his family.”

“We are delighted that he will see out his contract to the end of 2012 and therefore continue with the work and significant improvement at our club.”

Nathan Bassett is a former Norwood and Adelaide Football Club player and has coached the Redlegs since 2010.

“There is still plenty to do at Norwood. I am looking forward to continuing my work here and I want to keep developing myself, the players and the club. We need to build our football club and its resources to make us the best club that we can be”. Nathan Bassett said.

The Norwood Football Club has a bye this weekend before taking on West Adelaide at Coopers Stadium next Friday August 12th.

There's absolutely no way I'd sign an unexperienced coach if there are experience coaches available.

No more excuses.

Edited by Cudi_420

Guest The Tweed Pig

There's absolutely no way I'd sign an unexperienced coach if there are experience coaches available.

No more excuses.

The fact that 6 of the last 7 flags have been won by inexperienced coaches doesn't thrill you ?

No it wasn't. He coached the Swans in 1985 and got the flick because he "lacked charisma".

Correct. And before that he had 14 years as an assistant coach

After retiring as a player, Northey took up assistant coaching positions in the VFL, where he stayed for 14 years until the opportunity to coach at senior level presented itself. He coached 315 VFL/AFL games including stints at Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Melbourne Demons, Richmond Tigers and Brisbane Bears. He was known for his ability to rebuild struggling clubs, managing to produce results at all of these clubs, his first club as senior coach was Sydney Swans for one season in 1985 where he was unsuccessful and sacked at seasons end. He then went to coach Melbourne from 1986–1992; his most successful year was when he took the Demons to the 1988 VFL Grand Final, eventually losing to Hawthorn. After the 1992 season he decided to leave the Melbourne Football Club as Coach after struggling to finish 11th. He then went to coach Richmond from 1993–1995. His first two seasons at Richmond were unsuccessful but in the 1995 season they finished 4th putting them into the finals. However, after the 1995 season he resigned as Richmond coach. He was then appointed Brisbane Bears coach for the 1996 season, leading to their best ever season in making a preliminary final. After the 1996 season the Bears were forced to merge with the Fitzroy Lions resulting on the formation of the Brisbane Lions. He was appointed as the inaugural coach of the Brisbane Lions for the 1997 season, leading the team into the finals. After disappointing results, he was sacked in the middle of the 1998 season; the Lions eventually finishing last. He was Replaced by Roger Merrett for the rest of the 1998 season. At the end of his AFL coaching career he went on to coach South Fremantle Football Club in the WAFL.

Edited by daisycutter