Jack Watts

Bobby McKenzie

Today I thought Watts put his hand up and showed hes the future Captain.

New Coach, and make Watts Captain.

Co-captain with Trengove I'll say. Can't split the two. Both fantastic kids who have shown immense loyalty and passion for the club. Others could learn from these two kids...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see quality and consistency from Jack who can truly hang his head high at the end of the season. His average stats Rd 6-20 are below.

Jack Watts Average Rd 6-20

Disposals: 19

Marks: 6.2

Tackles: 2.3

Goals: 1.3

Well done!

Agree with Nasher here.

And those complaining about Watts having spent time loose in defense have ignored how it contributed to his development.

+1.

(And i think he will be the star we all hoped too!)

What about Trengove?

The following players are the only ones that can hold their heads high after the crap we've seen in the past few weeks:

Watts

Trengove

Frawley

Jones

Garland

Tapscott

McKenzie

all others can go f^$# themselves for all I care. I'm sick of it.

Today I thought Watts put his hand up and showed hes the future Captain.

New Coach, and make Watts Captain.

While I understand where everyone is coming from with the captaincy argument, do you think we could stop anointing the next kid that shows us what he is made of to the poisoned chalice.

I don't want the same thing to happen to any of our Jacks if they get the gig while unready for it.

And while I'm on that can we stop being so bloody fickle, last week it was Trengove, the week before that Moloney, earlier in the year Grimes was the heir apparent,

and Scully has even had his name mentioned in the same capacity (not so often lately).

Now I agree a new captain must be named for next season, as the role has killed Green, and I for one miss the excellent version we had last year.

Now all that being said I can honestly say that Watts's ongoing skill improvement, never-say-die attitude, team work and effort is the most wonderful thing to come out of a season that has rocketed into hell.

He continues to impress and will be exactly the player we hoped he would be (and I hope those that questioned this way too early on are humbled by what they can see now).

He is a joy :wub: !!!

Edited by QueenC

The lack of crumbers hurt us yesterday. Watts will go fo a contested mark if he is one on one, but if it is a bigger pack he will often palm the ball out of the pack. Has anyone else noticed this? It's not necessarily a bad thing and if we had Davey or Aussie or even Bennell hanging around we could have had a couple of goals yesterday. Watts is really good at this. He has great hands, good spring and a long reach. It also gives a second effective option if he can't grab the mark. Davey could've eaten those up if he had have been fit and firing.

While I understand where everyone is coming from with the captaincy argument, do you think we could stop anointing the next kid that shows us what he is made of to the poisoned chalice.

I don't want the same thing to happen to any of our Jacks if they get the gig while unready for it.

I agree QueenC. Many of us had Greeny as their preferred skipper at the start of this year. While he was never seen as a 'natural' leader, I guess we were all hoping that his experience and on-field exploits would carry him through until one of the 'new breed' was ready to step up to the role in two or three years. Right now however, we would probably all agree that this was a poor decision. The role has seemingly been a burden for him, and in all liklihood has contributed to the dramatic decline in his form (Having said that, the apparent disharmony within the playing group, and the glaring lack of leadership support within the team havn't helped his cause!). It is patently obvious that the role of captain is not one that should be taken lightly, or given to someone who is not ready for it. The decision demands a great deal of care by those at the Club who are closest to the situation. The last thing we want is to hang the captain's mantle on a Watts, Trengove or Grimes, and have them go the same way as it has for Green. For this reason, I'm not convinced that the Leading Teams model of selecting leaders is right for us in our present situation. $h!t its a major headache for the Club, but a decision we can't afford to get wrong again.

Guest dieharderdee

The mark Jack took in the second I think when he had already earned a free for being dragged to the ground just showed me that he has taken huge steps this year and also had the skill to pull of an awesome mark. Not like our captain who time and time again embarrasses himself by begging for free kicks that just aren’t there.

The lack of crumbers hurt us yesterday. Watts will go fo a contested mark if he is one on one, but if it is a bigger pack he will often palm the ball out of the pack. Has anyone else noticed this? It's not necessarily a bad thing and if we had Davey or Aussie or even Bennell hanging around we could have had a couple of goals yesterday. Watts is really good at this. He has great hands, good spring and a long reach. It also gives a second effective option if he can't grab the mark. Davey could've eaten those up if he had have been fit and firing.

It's because he is a bloody smart player.

Sadly most players around him, aren't.

Davey, although coming back from a long lay off, was woeful in that crumbing role yesterday. He should have been following Jack around to capitalise on his good work.

He was super super impressive yesterday. My favourite was his mark at full back (WHY THE F' IS HE PLAYING SO FAR DOWN BACK?!?!?!?! :mad:).

Never in doubt though really. Kid will be a star! :wub:

The comments writing him off so early were just crazy, and he is starting to show why!

I watched him yesterday thinking he looks like he could become anything!

Exciting times, and his intent and commitment yesterday were fantastic.

Great work Wattsy!!!!

Being best player in the losing side against the AFL's best teams should be worth double b & f votes.

Watts is our shining light this season and our next genuine superstar.

Shades of The Ox circa 1995 in that pirouette goal on the run in the first.

He baulked himself. And with no one nearby for a dish off he took it upon himself with confidence in kicking the goal from outside 55m. Lucky it was Brock he was running around. (Mr leadfoot himself). I'd like to see him to be more confident and take it upon himself more often - I think it will come, eventually.

Great goal all the same. And he has indeed been a shining light along with Trengove this season.

I hope the Melbourne supporter that sat directly behind me in the AFL members area yesterday reads this thread. He yelled out 'Youre a spud Watts' after he missed that set shot in the first qtr. Took all my nerve not to turn around and berate him, but we were a slim minority of supporters in that area yesterday, didnt want to be at war with one of our few allies...

Love that Jack is playing back, middle and forward line, as champions and captains should be able to go where they are needed and where they can turn the contest our way (aka Judd at Carlton).

Keep growing Jack.

Loved the blind turn goal, made me laugh and remember why I love going to the footy.

Edited by PaulRB

Agree with Nasher here.

And those complaining about Watts having spent time loose in defense have ignored how it contributed to his development.

I take no real joy is knocking any over the head with the "told you so club" but really happy to see hows hes matured and come on this year. If only we had a dozen of him !!

He really puts a lot of his team mates not only in the shade...but to shame ( mores the pity )

His 'back' time is certainly coming in handy as he goes far and wide to involve himself in the contest.

Looking at him after a game theres no dount he's given his all......cant say that for all can we :rolleyes:

Hes a singular bright spot in a very overcast year

I am a strong believer in the well known Malcolm Blight theory of looking at games in which you get pumped, taking any players who are consistently terrible in those losses, and sending them on their way. And using this theory, Jack Watts and a couple of others could be the only ones at the club next year.

I never admitted it, but at times last year in my head I was beginning to wonder whether Watts would ever be more than a decent player, but he is shaping as a serious star of our club and potential future captain. Hold your head high when you turn up to training on Monday Jack, you are one of the only ones who has the right to.

The following players are the only ones that can hold their heads high after the crap we've seen in the past few weeks:

Watts

Trengove

Frawley

Jones

Garland

Tapscott

McKenzie

all others can go f^$# themselves for all I care. I'm sick of it.

Little bit harsh.

Add Howe to that list. Maybe Martin and Moloney aswell. I can think of a few others who have tried hard but need to work on thier skills.

Edited by Jack son 5

My only reservations was with the FD playing him too early in his development given his physical size/maturity. Thought his mind might get smashed along with his bod lol. But he's grown and grown and proved my worries were unfounded.

I had a preference for Nick Nat before i saw anything of the two, but that was only on the back of hearing Buckenara's comments years ago that he felt Nick Nat was the stand out in the draft and that's who he'd go for as he hadn't seen anything like him. He probably hadn't seen much of Watts so on reflection it was a somewhat cloaked view of things. Mind you i think Nick Nat will also be a massive star and has shown glimpses of his potential this year

But for me.....stellar year this year for Watts. I posted earlier on the Green post from Belze.... Captain for mine for 2012 with Mckenzie or Trengove VC (or joint VC's).

Time for the seniors to move aside for the new crew in the leadership dept.

The senior leaders all had their chance this year. I've seen enough. With Moloney maybe the only short term exception if we feel another year is needed in the youngsters prior to captaincy in 2013. Otherwise, no thanks. Watts for mine all the way.

Wack another 3-5kg on pre season and look out!

Well done mate.

Edited by Rusty Nails

His 'back' time is certainly coming in handy as he goes far and wide to involve himself in the contest.

Apparently he was played in that way a fair bit in junior footy, because of his ability to read the game even then.

Wack another 3-5kg on pre season and look out!

Yep...as good as hes been getting this year I think he'l lreally come into his own next year. A little more heft , more strength, more self belief and an even greater sense of belonging..and he'll become a standout.

He MUST be added to the Leadership group, absolutely must. Hes amongst the few to actually show any !!

So many skeptics on this forum writing off Jack Watts as a 'dud' not so long ago. Come on admit that you were very wrong and that Jack is a fantastic player demonstrating guts, skill and attitude. Well done Wattsy.

BM I was a doubting Thomas last year however 8 weeks ago I admitted my error.

Him and Martin are the two bright spots for me this year.

I am a strong believer in the well known Malcolm Blight theory of looking at games in which you get pumped, taking any players who are consistently terrible in those losses, and sending them on their way. And using this theory, Jack Watts and a couple of others could be the only ones at the club next year.

I never admitted it, but at times last year in my head I was beginning to wonder whether Watts would ever be more than a decent player, but he is shaping as a serious star of our club and potential future captain. Hold your head high when you turn up to training on Monday Jack, you are one of the only ones who has the right to.

The old Jack Welch method?

This might be a new thread in & of itself, but out of interest, who do you think would fit into that category?

The ones that jump out at me would be Green and Rivers.

It'd be interesting to have a look at the stats.