Dean Laidley's 'interview' on AFL 360 tonight

jumbo returns

He said that the playing group need to run hard and fast in a straight line, put their head over the ball, then comes structures, then comes the game plan.

Gerard asked him about the list and he said, 'Plenty of talent, but it takes more than talent to win a game of footy...the dynamic of the group is the most important thing......it looks like that is, that is, lacking.

Robbo pipes in...'You want it, don't you?'

Laidley...ummmm, got stung last year by missing out on the Essendon job, doesn't want to be stuffed around, so he'll talk to a few people to get the 'lie of the land' before he commits.

'I would entertain anything with the Melbourne Footy Club.'

'We won games at North because we were tight knit as a staff and as a playing group...'

Watchareckon?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said that the playing group need to run hard and fast in a straight line, put their head over the ball, then comes structures, then comes the game plan.

Gerard asked him about the list and he said, 'Plenty of talent, but it takes more than talent to win a game of footy...the dynamic of the group is the most important thing......it looks like that is, that is, lacking.

Robbo pipes in...'You want it, don't you?'

Laidley...ummmm, got stung last year by missing out on the Essendon job, doesn't want to be stuffed around, so he'll talk to a few people to get the 'lie of the land' before he commits.

'I would entertain anything with the Melbourne Footy Club.'

'We won games at North because we were tight knit as a staff and as a playing group...'

Watchareckon?

On that basis he must be running as far away from the MCG as his feet will take him.

"Tight knit group" hardly seems to describe the Dees at the present.

Having said that I think he is the best of the Experienced coaches going around.

Also if he is aware of the problems he might insist on the removal of some people before he takes over.

Also I think he would be much wiser this tiem around I think he is a lot wiser after the North experience.

There is no rationale to this but "He looks tough" to me

Edited by old dee

On that basis he must be running as far away from the MCG as his feet will take him.

"Tight knit group" hardly seems to describe the Dees at the present.

Having said that I think he is the best of the Experienced coaches going around.

Also if he is aware of the problems he might insist on the removal of some people before he takes over.

Also I think he would be much wiser this tiem around I think he is a lot wiser after the North experience.

There is rationale to this but "He looks tough" to me

I think any coach who takes on us must ensure that their contract has a clause that states that meddling admin knows its place and be banned from going anywhere near the players or FD.

Edited by america de cali

We could do worse, I'd interview him and consider him if we couldn't get a premiership winning coach (Clarkson, Malthoues, Roos) but you feel if he didn't do a good job early then he'd fall on the scrap heap pretty quickly.

We could do worse, I'd interview him and consider him if we couldn't get a premiership winning coach (Clarkson, Malthoues, Roos) but you feel if he didn't do a good job early then he'd fall on the scrap heap pretty quickly.

I don't think any of the above are available.

Then it falls to the next group and he looks better than most of the others to me.

The upside is that he took mediocre sides to finals 3 times.

The downside is that 3 of the 5 finals he coached, they lost by 87 points or more.

He won one out of 5 finals matches.

Reminds me of a certain Rev.

The upside is that he took mediocre sides to finals 3 times.

The downside is that 3 of the 5 finals he coached, they lost by 87 points or more.

He won one out of 5 finals matches.

Reminds me of a certain Rev.

Point taken and i too remember those finals, But i think Dean Laidley deserves a long interview, if not as coach definately part of the coaches box.

But as a head coach he could be what we need...Malthouse rates him extremely high.

Laidley is no softy..we need that quality so badly.

No thanks. I want someone who's climbed the mountain. Laidley did well with what he had but that's immaterial. His sides were pretenders that were exposed and flogged in finals. I want us to go hell for leather for Clarkson or Choco. I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Choco. He's an animal full of passion. I also want Trengove as captain. The old journeymen on our list can be led by a natural leader. I also want Scully to rack off. As someone who lives in Sydney, I'm going to give him a gob full at any game I attend here.

I've heard DL speak at a function and he is a quality bloke. Did it real tough growing up and got to the top through perserverance. More important than that though he has been a part of a premiership and succsesful 'footballing' cultures at West Coast and North.

We could do worse!

No thanks. I want someone who's climbed the mountain. Laidley did well with what he had but that's immaterial. His sides were pretenders that were exposed and flogged in finals. I want us to go hell for leather for Clarkson or Choco. I'm really starting to warm to the idea of Choco. He's an animal full of passion. I also want Trengove as captain. The old journeymen on our list can be led by a natural leader. I also want Scully to rack off. As someone who lives in Sydney, I'm going to give him a gob full at any game I attend here.

I am not certain Choko is playing with a full deck of cards.

Guest hangon007

A Malthouse / Laidley double would be desirable

If we can't land the huge fish MM (I actually thnk we will) then Laidley looks the next best alternative.

One way or the other lets get him onboard.

Can you just remind me about his trading record especially referring to the names Thompson & Hay. We could almost guarantee the Hawks another flag.

Looking forward to your reply.

Ive always stated on these boards that I rate Laidley. I appreciate many dont..thats fine. Id definitely have a chat to him.

He tends to a no nonsense low frills type of footy. It worked very well for him and I think our list as it progresses will be better than teh one he worked wonders with.

Ive no problems if he was to apply.

I am not certain Choko is playing with a full deck of cards.

I know. I'm from South Australia and have observed a couple of generations of Williams's. Initially I didn't like the idea but the guy is educated, a football animal and has something left to prove. He's also won a flag (that is the clincher). Malcolm Blight is barely sane too. The greats are often like that. You think Clarko is a balanced individual? That's what gets them the extra distance.