Dean Bailey has been sacked

EVIL DEE

First, DB has had long enough. On many occasions this year the team has looked plain disorganised, confused, and to be going backwards. There's no plan A of any substance, and definitely no plan B. The best part of the last two seasons has gone by and the appearance of system in the team's play is accidental, sporadic. System, organisation, discipline - even on a simple level, like manning up or running hard - has not been inculcated to the point where it no longer needs thinking about. Anyone could see from the previous week's effort that they were facing a caning at Geelong. This very prospect had almost certainly permeated the minds of the players themselves. In other words, they were going into the match, and most of the preceding matches against top opposition, with a detachment that makes it impossible to play with any natural talent or even instinct; each player had intellectualised the problem, and realised quite consciously that there was no plan as an individual or a group to cope with even the first moment when some piece of play went wrong, where the opposition got 6 goals ahead in the first quarter. The submission of the team is the rational, logical result of having no system, of knowing that there is no system. Not even any tactics. Take exactly the same level of play as demonstrated the week before, combine it with the opposition of a super-team on their difficult home ground, and the magnitude of the loss seems quite inevitable and predictable. The alienation of the players' minds from the hurly-burly of the game was complete, and in those minds they were no doubt able to find lots of rationalisations for their surrender. DB is ultimately to blame for that.

Second, in thinking about where DB went wrong, apart from not having a system or any apparent discipline, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps his biggest mistake, symbolically and practically, was 'letting go' (as they say about sacking some poor sap in England) of Junior. This has bloomed in significance with the passing of time and the benefit of hindsight. A good leader, a very good player - still one of the team's best - and a leader with real integrity who inspired the younger players. Madness. The effect of this on the other players has been cumulative, as they have lost a gentleman to the very organisation that has come to be seen as the devil incarnate in its alleged wooing of Scully. How ironic. They must have been wondering just what the 'brains trust' were on when they tapped Junior on the shoulder. DB should have realised just how important he was and how damaging his 'retirement' would be. The affair still festers, even if it's not on everyone's lips these days. This shows very pointedly and poignantly DB's lack of sound judgment, something you can see compounded in the recall of players like Bate and Dunn, neither of whom, as players, are fit to tie Junior's laces. As soon as I saw their names for the Hawthorn match I knew the writing was on the wall. Anyway, those who lament DB's sacking should also remember Junior's.

Third, despite my talking about the lack of organisation and system in the way the team plays, the irony is that the result of this is a team that appears to play without any heart. So, I think DB has failed on two fronts.

Fourth, I think the Scully business, of which we are all sick and tired, has affected the players, the administration, the coach. I suspect that they suspect that a big offer is being made or will be made to him by MFC. This is destabilising and no doubt causes resentment, particularly when people are talking in the media about massive counter-offers from MFC that other players don't even dare dream about, despite having more 'runs on the board' than TS. The club hasn't handled this well; nor has Scully if you ask me. The media have just toyed with MFC over this. He should have been advised to nip the whole thing in the bud. Perhaps he should have been dropped for the rest of the year from the team for which he plays only occasionally; now he can take those alleged preposterous offers from GWS if he likes, and do what the players do on the field - rationalise it all away. Junior would have been far more helpful to the team this year than Tom!

It's horrible to see a coach removed like this, at this point in the season, in such circumstances as to make him seem like a sacrificial offering, a scapegoat, and I think DB has conducted himself with dignity and been articulate throughout his time at the club. He no doubt has his qualities, even as a coach. But he had failed abysmally at the most important things by the time of the Eagles debacle, or even earlier - that game against Brisbane at the 'G for instance. Forget about the comebacks after that drubbing or the one by Carlton; they were against interstate teams, one of which is worse than Melbourne and the other a traditional loser at the MCG.

I've read in this huge thread lots of comments about how he should have been able to see out the season. That would be the very worst thing for the club - more toleration of failure - and DB himself should know that. Some have blamed the players, which is a just thing to do; they're wimps alright. But it's simple maths. You can't sack a whole team. You certainly can't do it for failing to make Bailey look like a good coach!

No, the right thing has been done, coach wise. I thought he was lucky the watershed hadn't already been passed in the Eagles and Carlton games, when I was sure I had never seen more embarrassing performances by a Demons side. Well, not since Neil Balme's time, anyway. Since then, they have become even worse. A couple of good wins, but the look at the trend line. At least a kind of collective paralysis may have been treated by a very unpleasant cure.

Good read. Agree on every point except Scully, who I think under the circumstances has handled himself professionally and probably as well as can be expected.

Edited by P_Man

Really?

I think Lost Highway's post was terrible.

No idea. Just rambled on and clearly didn't understand the concepts he was talking about.

Not that it even matters now.

It's been a sad and very hurtful weekend for the club.

We should recognise and thank Dean for his efforts in turning over the list and developing the incoming youth. He followed the best interests of the club and had a mandate to play youth and get games into them and somewhat sacrifice his record in the process.

As it turned out eratic performances and downright abysmal performances such as the one at Skilled stadium on Saturday took their toll, and clearly the latter performance was totally unacceptable, despite the strength of Geelong.

Once again the lack of onfield leadership, or should I say, the absence of onfield leadership was also most evident. Starting with most notably the skipper down. I've harped on lack of leadership all year and I feel too weak to mention it again. It's obvious, so I'll cease here. Except to reiterate that the quicker our young leaders take the reigns the better.

When a promoted rookie in his 3rd year and a 2nd year player wearing #9 are the only ones putting up some semblance of resistance, something stinks.

Some may be of the opinion that a decision should have waited until year's end on DB. After this, and where we are situated with 5 remaining games, I think it's more prudent that it be made now. Clearly the players were failing to react to the words of DB, it became untenable, now they have plenty to play for. Themselves, their career's, a new caretaker coach?, possible finals, but more importantly for the members and supporters who had to put up with that embarrassing crap.

Whatever else takes place, let's hope it happens swiftly with cool heads and a sense of direction. That next Saturday quickly becomes a clear focus without much distraction.

I wish Dean well for the future, and may our club sign up our next Premiership coach.

I'm so furious at the playing group right now. How dare they collect their pay slips of $100,000 plus after putting in this years effort. Its bordering on robbery. Biggest bunch of prima donnas to ever play VFL/AFL. You are all a part of the second worst team in VFL/AFL history, forerever. Enjoy your tarnished names.

Edited by High Tower
Last few words unacceptable

I'm so furious at the playing group right now. How dare they collect their pay slips of $100,000 plus after putting in this years effort. Its bordering on robbery. Biggest bunch of prima donnas to ever play VFL/AFL. You are all a part of the second worst team in VFL/AFL history, forerever. Enjoy your tarnished names.

You can't be labelled the second worst team in history on one shocking performance. A huge collection of wooden spoons perhaps but not just one pathetic performance.Yes, we were lamentable but we are far superior to the teams below on the ladder this year. ( Western Bulldogs the possible exception.) Let's face it, Geelong were simply superb and everything went their way all day, one arm marks, jag shots for goal, bounce of the ball etc, etc. No team, even Collingwood could not have lived with them yesterday. Gee, Eddie your team are fortunate that they never have to play the cats at Skilled stadium.

You can't be labelled the second worst team in history on one shocking performance. A huge collection of wooden spoons perhaps but not just one pathetic performance.Yes, we were lamentable but we are far superior to the teams below on the ladder this year. ( Western Bulldogs the possible exception.) Let's face it, Geelong were simply superb and everything went their way all day, one arm marks, jag shots for goal, bounce of the ball etc, etc. No team, even Collingwood could not have lived with them yesterday. Gee, Eddie your team are fortunate that they never have to play the cats at Skilled stadium.

Let me tell you, the 186 point result had nothing to do with Geelong. 10 goals yes. Not 186. We are a disgrace.

I find it interesting that there is a lot of talk re CS. From everything I understand about the club he seems to be very good at his job, and really cares about the club. Perhaps he sticks his nose in areas it is not wanted, but surely the good outweighs the bad and he can just be instructed to pull his head in. Maybe this is me showing how little I know, but I've personally seen, nor been told of much that would lead me to any other conclusion.

He had Junior last year!! now I'm not saying he would have made a big difference but he was a very good leader and certainly had another year in him to get our younger players further along the track of development and guidance

Too true. Getting rid of Junior and discouraging Bruce were very bad, fundamental errors by Dean. We were never going to overcome the loss of 500plus games playing experience in one season. I predicted zero improvement this year because of our lack of experience and youth. I think I may still be close in my prediction as we had a much easier draw this year. Dean tried hard and it is sad he had to go like this but he just didn't have what it takes to be a really successful coach. Thanks Dean for your efforts over the four years at the club.

Come off it.

What does that make the teams we've spanked this year, and who sit below us on the ladder?

I guarantee that more will remember the loss we had on Saturday than remember the way we defeated clubs below us on the ladder this year.

Does anyone ever mention the way we got to the Grand Final in 1988 or do they just say we were thrashed in it by a record margin at the time.

Yeah we are [censored] at the moment and most will remember that and that only.

My bold prediction for next season and beyond.

Connolly & Schwab gone.

Malthouse will coach 2012...

Pendlebury to switch too Melbourne in 2013 and captain!

Edited by jungle dee

WHY ??!!

IT is amazing with all the media coverage for a day and a half and all the callers to the 3 competing radio stations and all the commentary on fox;7 & 9. nobody asked

WHY ??

OR CAME UP WITH A REASON ..other than the bleeding obvious "( its a mental "thing or the coach's lack of constructive game plan..)

any blind drunk knows that its "90% BETWEEN THE THE EARS " when playing any SPORT !!

the rest comes comes down to "strategy" and fitness& skill..

But "WHY" ?? were the players off mentally ??

AS "RIVERS" PUTS IT THAT THE PLAYERS DID NOT "CARE" !!!! huh????( shocked at that one !)

well after reading all the subplots and unanswered QUESTIONS of inconsistency

.NOW ! we r starting to know .." WHY"..

THE PLAYERS ARE "UNHAPPY" !! with the _ "FOOTBALL DEPT"..( as they were in revolt when they went to see jimmy and Mclardy.. a few days ago;

is it any wonder they did not turn up to play..!!GEEL..

have been for over a year now !!( and would u believe ? that " as JUNIOR " AND "BRAD MILLER " . (AFTER they were terminated NO LESS )

first stated when they took the unusual step; when they went TO THE BOARD to complain about -- "THE FOOTBALL DEPT "with certain issues ..

then the club review;

now we know WHY !!

the players are in discontent !!

BODY LANGUAGE forms 93% of communication..

1; cam s. ( no W.B.W or TWITTERS for months !! ) and CC have been conspicuous by their absence .for a long while now..

it seemed all CC wanted to do last year was get interviewed by timmy or richo.during games..

2; the over enthusiasm from bailey but lack of even a smile from assistants when we WIN ie; scott west looks like he's at a wake- -choco royal -even the stats guy;

let alone at the ess; WIN ,; the drama when bails was punching the roof of coaching box on ground & went over to " viney" and grabbed him on both arms.!

although viney smiled a disgruntled one i gather.,as he failed to acknowledge same or shake hands or even bother to get out of his chair ..

they had issues ! and bails was virtually saying " i told u i could do it"..

( he could not even get a rise or a smile out the girl on the ground at the end..( looked like he was isolated. ??)

( they were definitely at odds at half time when losing in another match -hawth i think ?

if u check out other coaches boxes at ; geel this year and last ( hugs- shaking hands- pats on back! same as ess.& hawth etc;

3; BAILEY told board he wanted to keep job BUT "NOT" !! if "CC" IS THERE NEXT YEAR....

4; cam.s handling of "MOLONEY" like a puppet at press conf. over his drinking incident !( not his job)

and OVER KILL of a one off minor issue.;likened to a head master like punishment of a school boy..( tacky)

maybe CM has a napoleon complex...

5; BAILEY; himself a respected nice guy ,good at encouraging kids but too buddy buddy as a pro. coach..

ie; "DAVEY" putting his arm around bailey at 3/4 time speeches.-hands around skully's face etc;

successful players have commented the need to respectfully fear or nearly hate the coach;

ie; M MClures comment of same against d.parkin.

ALSO too bloody minded or stubborn over known failed game plan with the over accentuated repeated hand movements when explaining same.

( lost in translation me thinks ?)

whether at huddles or to commentators before "geel" game.( repetitive ).

a bit simpleton like,( unprofessional ) that any pre; school teacher could better..

at press conf. he goes for 20 minutes but does not say anything !

or repeats the same word over and over and over :ie; "COMPETITIVE" simple repeat messages.

train harder next week play better next week.repeat..repeat..

from the start did he ever say anything ?

one has to be cruel to be kind and nice guys finish last are stale cliche's. but proven.

don't feel sorry for deano he has earn't around a million since his tenure.

and has told dennis commetti he always wanted to be a commentator.

now he may get his dream..

I've grappled with the decision to terminate him now. I wasn't a fan of him continuing, but somehow didn't think he should be axed 5 weeks out. In the end I applaud the move. If the club knows he won't be offered a new contract and the players know he won't be offered a new contract then it's best to end the charade now.

I admire the man even though this year I've been a critic.

Oh, and he won't spill the beans on tanking. He has too much class.

Totally agree with everything you have stated here.

The Dees' average losing margin is now worse than the Gold Coasts' - speaks volumes about the game plan & I suspect the ticker of this team :mad: The correct decision has been made.

There is no doubt that Bailey's time was up, however that thing that keeps coming back to me is that our entire leadership group, with the exception of Grimes, will now be operating under a third coach in as many season.

It's always the coach that suffers and ultimately falls on his sword after terrible performances, but the leadership group is pretty much the one constant this club has had in over 5 seasons. Worrying, isn't it?

The players should be held accountable!

I didn't see 'D. Bailey' listed in the back line that leaked 37 goals

I didn't see 'D. Bailey' listed in the midfield that had a 240 possession deficit

I didn't see 'D. Bailey' listed in the forward line that kicked only 7 goals

We could have had the reincarnate of Norm Smith coach us yesterday and we still would have lost by 186 points! There was no intensity from the opening bounce. Ox was saying on SEN yesterday that Port Melbourne (the best VFL side) wouldn't have lost by 186 points yesterday either! Our boys (with the exception of a rare few) showed stuff all yesterday! So much for showing the world how much Dean Bailey meant to them.

What I'm saying is that, if you point the fingers at the players, what the players do is indicative of what the coach directs. The gameplan, the urgency, the passion, the commitment, the fire. All of that starts with the coach. You can't expect a playing group to just get up and play on game day. That's the point of the coach: to coach the team to victory. If the team isn't winning, you look at the coach, as you would any company that is struggling.

I mean, if a business is struggling, do you look at the employees or the boss?

There is no doubt that Bailey's time was up, however that thing that keeps coming back to me is that our entire leadership group, with the exception of Grimes, will now be operating under a third coach in as many season.

It's always the coach that suffers and ultimately falls on his sword after terrible performances, but the leadership group is pretty much the one constant this club has had in over 5 seasons. Worrying, isn't it?

If a bunch of dumb footballers could figure out there's something seriously rotten with the football department, then maybe all the blame shouldn't be levelled at the players. It's becoming increasing obvious the management and coaching of this club are a complete shambles.

Which ever way you look at the whole sacking or what you thought of Bailey

Fact is is spent the last 4 years doing everything he possibly could to get help get the Football club, I love back up the ladder. For that he has my upmost respect.

Thanks Dean you tried your best, but it was not good enough good luck in your next endevour.

So for the third time in a row we have disposed of our coach mid-season.

It's never a good move and it's possibly the second worst move a club can make.

However the worst is losing by 186 points, and having the biggest losing margin record in the league this year.

Perhaps our 2 saddest losses were against mid-tier clubs such as North and the Bulldogs. We got towelled by to teams that won't make the 8!

We are not competitive at the moment.

Bailey seemed to be caught out tactically with few inspired positional moves, and we have made strategic errors with our list management. He admits the way they handled junior was a mistake. We took 3 experienced players out of our list in 2010 (Junior, Bruce and Miller) but we didn't have anyone to step up as leaders to take their place.

What is scary is the players saying they were fully behind the coach. Crikey!!! What would have happened if he'd lost their support!!!

I must admit, unlike most I'm very disappointed with this decision. In my mind, the benefits of pulling the trigger on Bailey now aren't great enough compared to the potential costs. Saturday was disgusting. But, it was only 1 game. Yes, it's not our only bad game, but it was one bad game.

Put the season into perspective. Todd Viney looks like he will take over and coach the team against the Blues on Saturday. If we win that one, which is a definite possibility at the G, we'll be on track to make finals. If I had said to anyone at the start of the year that Melbourne would make the finals, but Dean Bailey would be sacked as coach, they would tell me that was a ridiculous prediction, and that the team would've had a good season.

What will the media be saying come seasons end if we are in the 8, but we sacked our coach? I think they’d be saying we made our call prematurely. And I think that is what we have done.

But what’s done is done. We will have a new coach this weekend. What I think we all deserve, what the fans deserve is an explanation. What happened Saturday was more than just a bad day, it looked as if the players didn’t care with a couple of exceptions. Had Bailey lost the players? Perhaps. But there have been some other explanations bandied about, problems with Schwab and the rest of the administration.

We all deserve an explanation as to why we played the way we did on Saturday, why Dean has been axed, and the state of affairs within the football club as they now stand. That’s how the players feel, how the admin feels, how the footy department feels, and how the board feels. I’ve been super impressed with the entire footy club since Jim Stynes took over, up until the last 48 hours anyway. It appears to be a knee jerk reaction this decision. We all deserve an explanation to convince us otherwise.

I’m not sure if Dean was the man to coach us next year, and wouldn’t have minded if the club moved him on come seasons end. But if we don’t get an explanation of the last 48 hours, then this has been handled extremely poorly, and the call has been made too early.

Lets hope that tomorrow our questions are answered. There can't be any secrets on this issue, it all needs to come out in the wash. Anything less is just insulting to the fans of this footy club.

Melbourne sacked the great Norm Smith when we had won our first 8 games. That's really brutal.