Tom Scully

Rogue

This is a really good point. However, surely we have to give the kid TS the benefit of the doubt until its 100% proven otherwise.

I've said it before, but this is the classic divide an conquer strategy. I'm 100% tipping "the source" is a GWS source ...they are playing games with us.

I look at it this way ... if I had Scully signed I would shut my mouth and say nothing. However, if I didn't... the more the noise level raises, the more they think its going against them.

I'm leaning more toward this way of thinking...

The media speculation is so relentless, that even Tom would believe he has sign with GWS.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really good point. However, surely we have to give the kid TS the benefit of the doubt until its 100% proven otherwise.I've said it before, but this is the classic divide an conquer strategy. I'm 100% tipping "the source" is a GWS source ...they are playing games with us.I look at it this way ... if I had Scully signed I would shut my mouth and say nothing. However, if I didn't... the more the noise level raises, the more they think its going against them.

Couldn't agree more HO007

Word has it, Brad Scott directly (almost aggressively) asks each prospective draftee if they want to play at the Roos. If he sees any doubt, he doesn't pick them - no matter how good they are. He only wants players who desperately want to play for the club, and in turn who will bleed for the guernsey.Perhaps (and, clearly, I don't know this) we didn't interrogate Scully's desire to play for the club sufficiently.

That "word" that has it is looking a bit stupid in light of recent events. Didn't seem to me that the NM players were interested at all when they posted just 30pts against 147pts (regardless of who the opponent is).

With all due respect "the proposal" would never have got up. The AFL & the other clubs then have an even bigger problem.Why pick a arbitrary 2 year period, why not 3 year, why not 4 years .... you have to have a ruling that is fair to all. You can draw a line that favours one club and not another. Which, sadly on an MFC forum few will understand & agree with.However, it does lead into another new thread that I should start ... Why Do We Need GC17 & GWS

The reason to specify 2 years is because that is the standard contract length for a new draftee, therefore making them off limits to the expansion scum means that clubs get to enjoy their high draft picks for more than just their first two development years.

I'll put this out for discussion: Why does Tom never do media re: Melbourne? In last couple of months Jack Watts and Jack Trengove have been prominent, I have also heard Frawley talk about the club in recent times.

Because they don't want to place him under any extra pressure. Imagine TS coming out to do a presser about how happy the boys are with their win on the weekend, and all he does is tell the [censored] journos that he will discuss his contract situation at the end of the year. All gets a bit tedious.

I'll put this out for discussion: Why does Tom never do media re: Melbourne? In last couple of months Jack Watts and Jack Trengove have been prominent, I have also heard Frawley talk about the club in recent times.

He did as much as Trengove last year. It's kind of obvious as to why he hasn't done much this year.

All players media appearances are guided by their situation, including on field performance and contract status, and I don't have a problem with that.

If Scully re-signs he'll be doing a heap of media. If he goes he'll be doing even more. GWS would demand there star signing promote the club.

this thread is boring

I turn up and read it, but nobody has added anything constructive in over a fortnight (or more).... honestly stop your bickering and talking clear as day shite if you have news or an article fine but otherwise your just being disruptive etc really

He did media the other week. Might have been after his first game back.

Jack Watts signed for three. TS is the exception to the rule here.

Ummm - Jack Watts contracts negotiations were completed AFTER the end of the last season. Unless I am mistaken, isnt that exactly what TS is asking to do ?

I think the answer to that is pretty simple - why on earth would he ? Put TS in front of a microphone and what do you think the first question he is going to be asked ? ( and then reasked 50 different ways)

Ummm - Jack Watts contracts negotiations were completed AFTER the end of the last season. Unless I am mistaken, isnt that exactly what TS is asking to do ?

They were completed after the season, the difference being that Watts didn't have endless commentators and former club champions coming out and saying he was gone!

Watts was signed before seasons end, negotiations started around this time last year.

That's fine and your opinion's valid. But I think you're massively overstating the highlighted portion of your argument.

Wanting to stand-out is one thing. Risking sullying your own name in order to do so is quite another.

You should have a look at what these journos do.

They make sories out of guesses - their own guesses.

All from a nod of the head from lowlifes like Gubby Allan...

They were completed after the season, the difference being that Watts didn't have endless commentators and former club champions coming out and saying he was gone!

And therein lies the reason for all the ulcers - reacting to commentators and former club champions rather than letting the process take its course.

Welcome to the new world - this is not a one off thing for the next two years because of GWS - with Free Agency, every year, every club is going to have the same nightmare of older players coming out of contract that can move much more freely than ever before. Once a player says - I want to wait until the end of the season to renegotiate then we are going to have the situation of everyones guts getting tied in knots.

I for one and not going to get into a panic as this is the first of many players that this will happen to in the coming years. ( and to repeat myself - for those who say this doesnt happen to other clubs - Pendlebury is the perfect example of a player that has committed to one year at the Pies - has there ever been a more transparent play in the history of the game -"I am committed to the Pies and committed to negotiating an even bigger contract next season with GWS still on the radar" )

Come, go , stay , leave - whatever. I trust the club is and will put its best foot - it will either be enough or it won't.

Edited by nutbean

And therein lies the reason for all the ulcers - reacting to commentators and former club champions rather than letting the process take its course.

Welcome to the new world - this is not a one off thing for the next two years because of GWS - with Free Agency, every year, every club is going to have the same nightmare of older players coming out of contract that can move much more freely than ever before. Once a player says - I want to wait until the end of the season to renegotiate then we are going to have the situation of everyones guts getting tied in knots.

I for one and not going to get into a panic as this is the first of many players that this will happen to in the coming years. ( and to repeat myself - for those who say this doesnt happen to other clubs - Pendlebury is the perfect example of a player that has committed to one year at the Pies - has there ever been a more transparent play in the history of the game -"I am committed to the Pies and committed to negotiating an even bigger contract next season with GWS still on the radar" )

Come, go , stay , leave - whatever. I trust the club is and will put its best foot - it will either be enough or it won't.

Hassa Mann was offered a new pair of boots to play for Melbourne, this trumped Richmond's offer of a new Holden. Not sure if this booty would do in these days of grab the cash and run. It is a sad, stressful thread and not doing any of us Demons tragics any good.

You're right, free agency will create similar problems, but not sure it will be the same level of angst as a number 1 draft pick doing 2 years with the club, and potentially leaving............a fairly unique set of circumstances by AFL standards.

I'm just making the point that sure Watts signed after the season last year, but the rumour, innuendo, speculation was non existent compared to what it is with Scully this year.

That doesn't mean he is gone, but we can't exactly stick our heads in the sand, and "trust in Tom" either.

That doesn't mean he is gone, but we can't exactly stick our heads in the sand, and "trust in Tom" either.

Actually, I would think that is all we can do... nothing we say or do is going to make any difference to the final result; he will either stay or go, regardless of what gets posted here.

You're right, free agency will create similar problems, but not sure it will be the same level of angst as a number 1 draft pick doing 2 years with the club, and potentially leaving............a fairly unique set of circumstances by AFL standards.

I'm just making the point that sure Watts signed after the season last year, but the rumour, innuendo, speculation was non existent compared to what it is with Scully this year.

Disagree with your first comments - I think the angst about losing players will be as bad for all clubs with the advent of free agency - we just havent got there yet.

Agree with your second point - and that is the main point - this TS situation is being driven by rumour, innuendo and speculation in the absense of any of us knowing the hard facts.

I wont stick my head in the sand - But since I have no facts only rumour and innuendo I choose to believe and do three things

1/ Beleive that there have been no commencement of negotiations with GWS and TS/TS management as per TS and his managements statements

2/ No contracts signed as per TS and his managements statements

3/ Everything will unfold at the end of the season and Tom may indeed go to GWS for a bucketload of cash - but I hoping that our professional management will make an offer that comprises of fair recompense and the selling the dream that he can stay in his home state and the MFC is going places to ensure that he does indeed re-sign with the MFC.

I have no idea on the outcome but this is how I am choosing to react to this situation.

I obviously agree with Nutbean.

I mean, I hardly think my argument can be dismissed as easily as that.

ADC tried that months ago and it didn't hold water.

I trust our impressive 19 year old before I trust rumour. That doesn't mean he will stay - it just takes him at his word that he hasn't had dealings with GWS and Gubby Allan is blowing smoke (I guess that's where the 'fire' is coming from...).

Hardly head in the sand stuff...

You're up, Tom:

Matthew Kreuzer chooses Blues over cash

Carlton ruckman Matthew Kreuzer quietly, and without any public fanfare, rejected upwards of an extra $3 million over five years to stay a navy Blue.

Kreuzer's love of the Blues over money, in an age of obscene cash for players yet to prove themselves, makes Kreuzer the pin-up child for loyalty.

Disagree with your first comments - I think the angst about losing players will be as bad for all clubs with the advent of free agency - we just havent got there yet.

I agree that things will be quite different with FA but it wont be any where near as bad as this - there will be much less of the list exposed - limited FA for 8+ years and unlimited for 10+ years. And there will be a much more level playing field with the TPP in play. GWS have extra TPP and pay the bulk of their players less so they have an unprecedented amount of money

I agree that things will be quite different with FA but it wont be any where near as bad as this - there will be much less of the list exposed - limited FA for 8+ years and unlimited for 10+ years. And there will be a much more level playing field with the TPP in play. GWS have extra TPP and pay the bulk of their players less so they have an unprecedented amount of money

I agree. However, I believe that the 8+ and 10+ apply for those in the top 25% 'pay bracket' - for those outside the top 25% 'pay bracket,' they are fair game if they are out of contract.