• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Morton-to-GWS thread

bush demon

Was going to start a Barassi-to-Carlton thread but thought I'd go with this one instead:

Dees' Morton puts contract talks on hold.

Hey ... imagine a GWS v Golden Suns Grand Final.

Guess the crowd.

Ooh. The Giants can only take one of Scully and Morton.

Ooh.

Although, quote, 'Not a GWS target'

Also GC versus GWS GF, full capacity. Simply because 85% of the seats are corporates anyway.

Hey ... imagine a GWS v Golden Suns Grand Final.

Guess the crowd.

Karma for the AFL.

Misleading title though - should be Morton to GCS and a straight swap for Tom Lynch might be acceptable.

With our midfield, Lynch, Cook and Jurrah up forward and Jack Watts anywhere around the ground, there won't be any GWS v GCS Grand Finals in the next decade at the very least.

Karma for the AFL.

Misleading title though - should be Morton to GCS and a straight swap for Tom Lynch might be acceptable.

With our midfield, Lynch, Cook and Jurrah up forward and Jack Watts anywhere around the ground, there won't be any GWS v GCS Grand Finals in the next decade at the very least.

WJ I sprawled these threads endlessly begging we pick up Tom Lynch and no-one bought it.

Come draft day, it was the last on their pick I think it was 12 and we had pick 14, and they read out Tom Lynch.

I was absolutely devestated and honestly saw our chance to rise quickly go with missing out on him. I guess time will tell..

WJ I sprawled these threads endlessly begging we pick up Tom Lynch and no-one bought it.

Come draft day, it was the last on their pick I think it was 12 and we had pick 14, and they read out Tom Lynch.

I was absolutely devestated and honestly saw our chance to rise quickly go with missing out on him. I guess time will tell..

We picked Cook as our first draft pick at 12. GC called Toms name out at 11 but they also had picks 9 and 10 which they used for Prestia and Gorringe.

They could just as easily picked Lynch at 9 or 10, and the MFC recruiters believed that GC were simply playing games by picking him at 11.

I don't think it's a coincidence that an article on Morton appears in the same edition as a story by Gary Lyon about St Kilda trading Brendan Goddard to GWS. It's been rumoured for a while that Goddard may go there. Perhaps Gary is suggesting we use similar tactics with Morton.

Bit of nothing article... Morton's value will be significantly lower now than if he has a good second half of the season.

Contract talks were probably put off as an offer was put in front of him that represented his recent form and injuries...

I don't think it's a coincidence that an article on Morton appears in the same edition as a story by Gary Lyon about St Kilda trading Brendan Goddard to GWC.

Greater Western Coast?

Karma for what? Karma for expanding? Damn that AFL, how dare they try and grow their game!

could be bigger than the dot com bubble. brisbane bears in the paper this morning with multi-million debt following port adelaide's multi-million dollar debt, following the quick-layout of green lawn strips at gold coast. it suits the afl to think that half the public are indoctrinated with this bigger-is-better corporatisation of our game.

Edited by bush demon

So Morton wishes to review his position..fine by me.. trade him Problem solved..

Guest Artie Bucco

Scott Clayton has had a love affair with Cale for many years now.

It's in Gold Coast's interests to trade some of their young talent and get a better spread of ages across their list.

Otherwise you get to a stage where all your players are retiring at once, because it requires an extensive rebuild like we have had to go through, but it'd probably be worse with the majority of their players all from the one single year.

I'd propose:

Cale Morton + 1st round pick for Dion Prestia + Tom Lynch.

I couldn't jump quick enough at that deal.

(and Prestia was a dees supporter.)

I have heard that Josh Toy is homesick for Victoria, but I'm not sold on him.

A bit like another Tapscott, but without the forward tendencies.

Bennell would appear to be too, with the dramas of him coming home a day or 2 late every time the Suns play in WA.

I think they will have a problem with homesickness, as with a team of mature players they can help a kid through the stages of it, know how to deal with it and take their mind off it.

A team with the majority being kids experiencing it all together will magnify the effect.

There'll be a few susceptible to approaches from clubs in their home state.

Karma for what? Karma for expanding? Damn that AFL, how dare they try and grow their game!

Karma is all about attitude, if you do something with a poor attitude, or for the wrong reasons, then Karma may not be your friend. Stabilising what we already had might have been a better option, given that the Dogs, Roos, Power, Lions (and until recently, us) are all in debt at the same time as this corporatisation push is occuring.

But on the topic of Cale Morton, he probably is not very happy with his recent performance, and wants to play well for the rest of the year in hope that he can turn his form around and pick up a few more dollars. In a way, that's good for Melbourne.

Edited by Chook

Smart boy. He would be seeing a smaller contract than a 4th year no.4 pick would normally see.

Let's hope he gets a better contract handed to him in September because it will mean he has turned his form around.

I am super hopeful Cale wants to play out of his skin for the rest of the year and EARN a better contract from the Dees. Haven't seen much of his 'desire' on the field but I hope we do because he could be the complete package if he showed some real commitment to get the pill.

Just wondering. I thought players couldn't be traded out before their first contract ends after 2 years. Is this right? Meaning non of GCS's young players can be traded until next year.

In the same vein, do CG have to delist 3 players? They can't drop their kiddies because they are all on 2 year deals, so they would have to offload some of their poached players wouldn't they?

In the same vein, do CG have to delist 3 players? They can't drop their kiddies because they are all on 2 year deals, so they would have to offload some of their poached players wouldn't they?

Some of there 17yo selections will be in there second or third year of a contract?, rookies Nat Ablett etc

Karma for expanding in a way that fails to protect clubs from losing potential marquee players without adequate compensation and causing an inflationary spiral in player payments that will make it hard for some existing clubs to survive in spite of a billion dollar tv rights deal. I'm looking specifically at the reported Callum Ward deal. How can the Bulldogs cope with that (there are other well publicised rumoured deals as well)?

Yes. Karma.