Changes for next week

Eth

Ins: Gawn, Howe, Trengove, Scully, Blease and possibly Macdonald! Sound like he's going well he should be rewarded if so.. (4 debutants!! )

Out: Anyone really, i just wanna see these guys in !

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In: Trengove, Scully, Howe, Gawn, Blease (or Bartram if fit)

Out: Bennell, Evans, Petterd, Bate, Warnock

NB: Evans stiff but too many kids and was not as impressive this week. Newton to play and play at full forward all game.Davey to play at Casey if fit.

Good changes.

They showed the injury list up on the big screen at the G last night and Bartram had 4 weeks next to his name :(

I would drop Newton and keep Evans though. I think you need to get debutants at least 3 weeks to find their feet and I don't think we can carry Newton, Gawn and Howe in the same side. If Howe was to come in, I'd play him at FF and Watts at CHF, and they can rotate between themselves.

Otherwise I'd keep Newton and Evans and Howe can come in next week.

I think it's important right now to bring in some pace and foot skills, which is where I see Blease fitting in.

The axe must be swung.

IN: Blease, Gawn, Howe, Scully, Strauss, Trengove, Wonna

OUT: Bate, Evans (stiff), Jetta, Maric, Morton, Newton, Warnock

If you want to make a statement, how the hell does Wonna get selected and Evans cut? If you were going to cut a rookie then Nicholson should go IMO.

If you want to make a statement, how the hell does Wonna get selected and Evans cut? If you were going to cut a rookie then Nicholson should go IMO.

Was banking on Wonna playing well today which doesn't look to of been the case so I'd probably undo that one and keep Evans ahead of Wonna.

Well picked up RR.

Edit: Wrote Nicholson instead of Evans.

Edited by Tall Defence

Sounds like we could have a lot of changes this week. Gawn picks himself based on performance and needs, Trengove in, possibly Bartam, possibly Scully and Howe is banging on the door and Blease and Strauss are thereabouts.

Jamar, Davey and Tapscott back in a few weeks. Bail and Garland a few weeks after that.That's conservatively 8 and up to 12 inclusions.

We will have completely different football team on the park in the second half of the season.

I think when the injuries came the coaches felt oblidged to give our experienced depth first crack. We needed to know if they were up to it and for me the answer is an emphatic no. Time to swing the axe and blood some kids.

Gawn was excellent at Werribee today and must play. He'd provide at least as much as Newton at FF and a hell of a lot more in the ruck.

Howe is another that has earned a call up and Blease, Strauss and McDonald could all be considered on todays form.

In- Trengove, Scully, Gawn, Howe, Blease, Strauss

Out- Newton, Bate, Bennell, Morton, Warnock, Nicholson

Whilst i would love to see a statement made at the selection table i know that there is only likely to be 3 changes, 4 at the absolute most...

.....and whilst many on here like to list their changes/inclusions without actually thinking about the like for like or matchups scenario, i will try and be realistic:

Newton out for Gawn

Bate out for Howe

Bennell out for Blease

Nicholson out for Trengove

Scully to have another run around at Casey- there's no point rushing him back, make sure he is right to go and if he can get through a full game for Casey then he comes back for the Pies.

Strauss apparently played ok but still want to see consistency with him at Casey. Another week at least.

McDonald is also a possibility although with a team boasting Hille, Ryder and the other big bloke, i reckon they will want to retain Warnock for when Hille rests forward (allowing Frawley to take Ryder etc).

Morton (who i still go in to bat for) needs to extract the digit.

Davey even if fit, should have to play one at Casey just as punishment.

Dunn to stay at Casey also to try and find some form (it actually worked for him last year).

We need to add run and lots of it, we need to find players that can carry the footy break the lines and hit targets. We need to get run out of our back half, run in our forward line so IMO this is our team assuming all fit

Strauss Frawley Bennell

Sylvia Rivers Macdonald

Scully Trengove Jones

Green Watts Jurrah

Maric Newton Martin

Gawn Moloney Gysberts

Jetta McKenzie Evans

Sub Morton

In Strauss Gawn Scully Trengove

Out Warnock Nicholson Bate Petterd

I think we need Sylvia and Green to alternate between half forward and half back, we need someone back there that can be strong smart and be able to hit targets. Same with Martin and Bennell depending on the structure of Essendons forward line, if three talls line up forward Martin goes back with Bennell going to the forward line.

We have run on the bench, Strauss, Sylvia Bennell adding some run and skill to the back line, a bit of tall timber up forward.

In: Trengove, Scully, Howe, Gawn, Blease (or Bartram if fit)

Out: Bennell, Evans, Petterd, Bate, Warnock

NB: Evans stiff but too many kids and was not as impressive this week. Newton to play and play at full forward all game.Davey to play at Casey if fit.

From the other thread BRFE (re: game today)....it's hard to know what will happen with selection on a number of fronts: -

1. Who is carrying injury (Bartram? Davey? Jurrah?)
  2. Back from suspension (Dunn, Trengove)
  3. Poor form (Newton, Petterd, Warnock, Maric, Bate)
  4. Good form at Casey (Gawn, Howe, Blease, Scully?)
  5. Easing back into match fitness (Scully)

So at nothing more than a guess and personal preference and pending on fitness:

IN: Trengove, Howe, Gawn, Bartram, Scully.

OUT: Newton, Evans, Petterd, Nicholson, Jetta.

I'm not entirely sure if they will play Scully against Essendon. If they're taking it easy with him and his knee, I'd expect another hitout at Casey for four quarters and returned for the QB. I'd play him if he's right to go after pulling up well. Whilst I did say in the Willi v Casey thread that I would consider Gawn who was impressive, I think Newton can make way for him to take on Bellchambers,Ryder, Hille trio. Dunn's suspension has finished, along with Trengove's so they should come in. Howe for Petterd. Bartram for Nicholson.

If you drop Warnock, who do you replace him with at the moment ?

edit: Actually that kick out on the full and dropped mark resulting in two goals, should signal an automatic drop to Casey....

If you drop Warnock, who do you replace him with at the moment ?

Not right now but on return of Jamar, Martin to Full Back.

Gawn and Jamar in the ruck.

Not right now but on return of Jamar, Martin to Full Back.

Gawn and Jamar in the ruck.

Maybe. Although he hasn't played much there this year. (Martin that is). I'd be inclined to give Gawn a taste with Martin before Jamar comes back, particularly against the Dons trio. Then we'll see how Gawn goes. It could be back to Jamar-Martin when Jamar is right to come back. Martin has done ok.

Garland will be back soon after to steady some of the ship with Frawley & Rivers. Gawn's more our long term option. But if he adapts well, who knows, keep playing him.

Step 1: DO NOT BRING BACK DUNN! Do not forget how terrible he was against North Melbourne, and in fact for the entire year so far. He has been shocking. He does not deserve to get an instant recall to the side simply because we are playing badly. He needs to do his penance by playing at least 4 weeks for Casey. We gain nothing by playing him.

From there, it's simple. Trengove is an automatic inclusion. He can have Morton's spot. Morton is pathetic. Newton's not much better, so I'd let him go and give Gawn the number 1 ruck job. Martin is good enough to be number 1, but in the long run with Jamar back, Martin's a number 2, so let Martin and Gawn split it. Tough ask, given Essendon's rucks, but Newton is hopeless. Bate is also crap, as is Petterd, so one of them makes way for Howe, who should be playing.

I would also like to remove Bennell, but he stays by virtue of the injuries and lack of depth. Evans and Nicholson also stay, but are simply biding time.

In: Trengove, Gawn, Howe

Out: Morton, Newton, Bate

Jamar will be back this week, or next...

Either our game plan stinks and or we do not have the cattle to implement it.

Well then, how about implementing a different one......

Gawn in.

Newton out.

It's a given, surely.

You've met our footy department right ;) ?!!!

Edited by QueenC

The problem here is that Bailey is very conservative in his selections. He has always been reluctant to make sweeping changes, even when they are warranted, preferring to trust in his experienced players and play only a couple of younger guys at a time. In this case I think he has to throw that philosophy out the window and show the experienced players that they have to earn a spot just like anyone else.

Whilst i would love to see a statement made at the selection table i know that there is only likely to be 3 changes, 4 at the absolute most...

.....and whilst many on here like to list their changes/inclusions without actually thinking about the like for like or matchups scenario, i will try and be realistic:

Newton out for Gawn

Bate out for Howe

Bennell out for Blease

Nicholson out for Trengove

Scully to have another run around at Casey- there's no point rushing him back, make sure he is right to go and if he can get through a full game for Casey then he comes back for the Pies.

Strauss apparently played ok but still want to see consistency with him at Casey. Another week at least.

McDonald is also a possibility although with a team boasting Hille, Ryder and the other big bloke, i reckon they will want to retain Warnock for when Hille rests forward (allowing Frawley to take Ryder etc).

Morton (who i still go in to bat for) needs to extract the digit.

Davey even if fit, should have to play one at Casey just as punishment.

Dunn to stay at Casey also to try and find some form (it actually worked for him last year).

I'd be playing Morton up forward. That is where he wants to play.

Ins

Gawn, Howe, Trengrove, Scully

Outs

Newton, Bate, Bennell, Evans

Depending on how Scully pulls up this week, Scully to be sub or substituted at 3/4 time.

Davey/Dunn to return via Casey. Need more intensity from Morton, Petterd to retain their spots as the regulars return. Hopefully Ncholson gets the chance to play the whole game.

I agree with an earlier poster

Put Frawley Forward!!!

He is quick strong and fit!

It is clearly the biggest problem at the moment and heck we can't get any worse.

If it doesn't work well who cares but it just might make Pettard and Jurrah see what hard work can do if it pays off

Can people get past this idea? It's not going to happen, he isn't a forward. He is natural backman and one of the only reasons we don't see even bigger losses each week. If he were to be taken out of the backline who would cover his loss? Exposing a weakness in one are of the ground to cover another weakness is NOT the answer.

In: Davey, Trengove, Scully, Gawn, Howe, Dunn

Out: Bate, Newton, Bennell, Jetta, Maric, Nicholson (very, very unlucky.. must be promised a game soon)

FB: Warnock - Frawley - J Mac

HB: Davey - Rivers - Morton

C: Trengove - Moloney - Gysberts

HF: Howe - Green - Sylvia

FF: Jurrah - Watts - Petterd

R: Gawn - Scully - Jones

I: McKenzie, Martin, Dunn

S: Evans

Matchups:

Warnock - Hille

Frawley - Ryder

Davey - Jetta

J Mac - Monfries

Edited by daveytrain1

Don't personally think Petterd was that bad on Friday night.

Sure, he wasn't one of the best, but he did more than Juice, Bennell and Bate IMO.

It's always tough for forwards when your midfield and backs keep turning it over. Howe and Dunn wouldn't have kicked multiple goals.

Backs. Bartram Warnock Frawley

Half backs. Bennell Rivers MacDonald

Centers. Morton Moloney Trengove

Half forwards. Sylvia Watts Howe

Forwards. Jurrah Green Davey

Rucks. Martin McKenzie Jones

Inter. Gawn Gysberts Scully Jetta

Ins. Gawn Bartram Scully Trengove Davey Howe

Outs. Bate Newton Evans Nicholson Petterd Maric

If either of Davey or Bartram do not come up then Maric or Evans/Nicholson keep their spots.

I am really disappointed to leave out Petterd as our forward line looks so much better with him up and going, simply not doing enough to warrant selection.

Quick one on Morton he will be our Andrew Embley when we are a good side he will be a very good player, we must continue the faith.

Maric the unlucky one as his season to date has been very promising in a poor side, Davey to go back to basics role is forward 50 pressure and play a more Cyril Rioli role starting deep forward and pushing up ground rather than playing behind play.

Scary amount of ins as I normally believe 4 is maximum if you want any chance of winning.