WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

Want to know the funny thing, Robbie? Molan was a strong bodied, ready made player. And the comparison with Judd is not even close. Make the comparison between Molan and Hale. Hale was the development player while Molan was the ready made player.

Simplistic comparisons do nothing for your argument.

10 years of pretty good versus 6 years of very good? It depends how good 'pretty good' is and and how good 'very good' is.

It also depends on when you are going for a premiership. For instance, if you were rebuilding from the bottom then you won't be looking to win a premiership in the next 5 years. So you don't care about what a player does before then - hence you would take the development player who you project will be a better overall player. However, if you are right in your premiership window then you would probably draft a player that can help you more quickly, even if the ceiling of their talent isn't as high.

As always, Robbie, things are never as simple as they appear.

Also, are you saying that you want to trade Cook because we landed Clark? Really?

You may be off with the girl who peaked at high school, but I'm off with a stunner for the rest of my life. That's OK, because you'll always have the memories.

Why do you always assume that the hotie is as good as she will ever be, what an absurd comment and what has got you convinced that your ordinary girl is going to be a stunner what do you base that on? How do you know that Darling won't get better and better like a Chapman, why do people think that a tall skinny kid will automatically get bigger (Cale Morton) and better(Cale Morton)?

With Darling you know he is a good player but with Cook you can only assume he will be.

If it's not as simple as it appears to be please tell me how you know that Cook will be better, please tell me how you know that he will fill out and have the body of an AFL footballer. If I knew the secret that you hold I'd be a little more content, share it with me share it with all of us.

Because for the ordinary girl to be a stunner all she has to do is take off her glasses and let her hair down. Or in Cook's case get a bit more size about him. Because if you knew anything about Cook it would be that the only thing he lacks is size and a bit of fitness. All that comes with pre seasons.

And let's not beat around the bush- no one here has a hot or stunning girlfriend. Why the hell would you spend all your time on Demonland?

• Like 2

As everyone is bored senseless by this, although I think it's an argument worth pursuing (preferably with someone else), I will just finish with this.

The recruiters are paid to predict how good a player will end up being. They watch endless vision of them and have years of recruiting experience behind them. It's their job. It's clearly not any of our jobs! If you don't think Cook will be as good as Darling then it's up to you to disprove them. Until then I'd back their opinion of these players over yours and mine.

• Like 6

Yep, and like all things in life there are no guarantees.

And just because you don't have faith doesn't mean your pessimism is vindicated a few years down the track. There are no obvious holes in Cook for you to base your fears on.

Let it go and get behind the fella!

As everyone is bored senseless by this, although I think it's an argument worth pursuing (preferably with someone else), I will just finish with this. The recruiters are paid to predict how good a player will end up being. They watch endless vision of them and have years of recruiting experience behind them. It's their job. It's clearly not any of our jobs! If you don't think Cook will be as good as Darling then it's up to you to disprove them. Until then I'd back their opinion of these players over yours and mine.

Sounds like a job description of a economist (esp as they are paid for it too).......and we know how good their predictions are

There must be a school somewhere for crystal-gazing and fortune telling...hmmmmmmmmmm

Sounds like a job description of a economist (esp as they are paid for it too).......and we know how good their predictions are

There must be a school somewhere for crystal-gazing and fortune telling...hmmmmmmmmmm

Economics 101 at La Trobe DC

Yes we were and no you shouldn't.

I am, however, waiting for all those like RR who seem to have a policy of not recruiting ready made players who will be as good as they will ever be in their first year and preferring to recruit players that have a minimum of 4 years before they produce what other kids do in their first game, to provide some comment.

you dont recruit for next year - you recruit for the next 10 years - by your thinking should we skip the TAC and recruit mature age VFL footballers who can step in and play football from day one ? I think you keep missing the point - the likes of Darling ( who i am not even sure that WCE would have known he was going to step up from day one) are a rarity - it took Dawes 3 years before he started to produce, it took Goddard 4 years before he was worth a pinch. Kennedy ( now at WCE) took 4 years to start to assert himself. It is accepted that if you draft a KPP from the TAC you will probably have to wait 3 years plus to get a return. That's just how it is and it not only the MFC that has to wait for these skinny kids to develop. For what is it worth, I think we may have an early developer by the name of Tom McDonald. Has come on quicker than anticipated.

you dont recruit for next year - you recruit for the next 10 years - by your thinking should we skip the TAC and recruit mature age VFL footballers who can step in and play football from day one ? I think you keep missing the point - the likes of Darling ( who i am not even sure that WCE would have known he was going to step up from day one) are a rarity - it took Dawes 3 years before he started to produce, it took Goddard 4 years before he was worth a pinch. Kennedy ( now at WCE) took 4 years to start to assert himself. It is accepted that if you draft a KPP from the TAC you will probably have to wait 3 years plus to get a return. That's just how it is and it not only the MFC that has to wait for these skinny kids to develop. For what is it worth, I think we may have an early developer by the name of Tom McDonald. Has come on quicker than anticipated.

Are you bored? You really want to provoke me in to discussing this again dont you, that's two threads now.

Are you bored? You really want to provoke me in to discussing this again dont you, that's two threads now.

I am trying hard not to take the bait on your behalf RobbieF.

But not tonight.

Well may be not.

Surely it has to be a mixture of now and the future.

If it is 100% future the MFC will fail to exist in 5 years time.

However I have more faith in this FD.

Why did we recruit clark ?

I think for 2012.

I am trying hard not to take the bait on your behalf RobbieF.

But not tonight.

Well may be not.

Surely it has to be a mixture of now and the future.

If it is 100% future the MFC will fail to exist in 5 years time.

However I have more faith in this FD.

Why did we recruit clark ?

I think for 2012.

I think that you are wrong, old dee. We did not recruit Clark "for 2012". We recruited him because of the massive structural hole that has existed since BIg Neita. So, we've actually recruited him because of 2008. We've also recruited him "for 2015", when, after three years of playing the system (and we will have been able to because in part of his presence) we are genuine contenders. We definitely did not recruit one 23 year old for one year. This is not a short-term topping up exercise.

• Like 1

I think that you are wrong, old dee. We did not recruit Clark "for 2012". We recruited him because of the massive structural hole that has existed since BIg Neita. So, we've actually recruited him because of 2008. We've also recruited him "for 2015", when, after three years of playing the system (and we will have been able to because in part of his presence) we are genuine contenders. We definitely did not recruit one 23 year old for one year. This is not a short-term topping up exercise.

What he is saying is that we have recruited a player that is 'ready to go' from the first game.

Many are frustrated by the slow burn rebuild.

It's understandable.

What he is saying is that we have recruited a player that is 'ready to go' from the first game.

Indeed - but it only happened because he fell in to our laps. It's darn near impossible to get a ready made KPF out of the draft. Preaching to the choir no doubt.

• Like 1

Fell into our laps?

Hardly.

Hardly? It was almost the dictionary definition of good fortune. He was Freo's for the taking and had they not been such bumbling idiots who tried to screw Brisbane over, Clark would been having his presser in a purple t-shirt and not a red one.

I'm not discounting the work done by the MFC, but let's be honest, it was lucky that we were in the right place at the right time.

• Like 1

Hardly? It was almost the dictionary definition of good fortune. He was Freo's for the taking and had they not been such bumbling idiots who tried to screw Brisbane over, Clark would been having his presser in a purple t-shirt and not a red one.

I'm not discounting the work done by the MFC, but let's be honest, it was lucky that we were in the right place at the right time.

Luck was thatthere was a right place and right time to be had... i.e an opportunity presented ( that really oughtnt have )

I wont take anythigng away from the tenacity and aptitude of the club to create a reality out of it.

Luck happens !! ;)

Not really - i think i was responding to yet another comment

I am, however, waiting for all those like RR who seem to have a policy of not recruiting ready made players who will be as good as they will ever be in their first year and preferring to recruit players that have a minimum of 4 years before they produce what other kids do in their first game, to provide some comment.

another comment by - oh yeah - you !

You keep it coming and i will keep responding

• Like 1

Without glancing at the previous 11 pages on here as it looks like its full of petty bickering, does anyone know:

a) If Jack Viney has been given permission to play games at Casey Scorpions this year?

B) If he may be a chance to be spotted going through his paces at our first training session in ten days time?

Thanks

Not really - i think i was responding to yet another comment

another comment by - oh yeah - you !

You keep it coming and i will keep responding

Get with the program son, that comment was made on the 26th September, try to be a bit more relevant and up to date will you. I think I've covered it in yet another post by you on another thread.

Ánything else?

Without glancing at the previous 11 pages on here as it looks like its full of petty bickering, does anyone know:

a) If Jack Viney has been given permission to play games at Casey Scorpions this year?

B) If he may be a chance to be spotted going through his paces at our first training session in ten days time?

Thanks

This attempt at lucidity and relevance was totally uncalled for !! :)

and no, i dont believe perrmission been recieved yet. Might go close to the wire. Hell its the AFL , theyre probably still on hols !!

Get with the program son, that comment was made on the 26th September, try to be a bit more relevant and up to date will you. I think I've covered it in yet another post by you on another thread.

Ánything else?

is there any way that we could change your pic and or name, because your pessimistic opinion on just about everything really brings down the legacy of the one and only R flower

• Like 1

Because for the ordinary girl to be a stunner all she has to do is take off her glasses and let her hair down. Or in Cook's case get a bit more size about him. Because if you knew anything about Cook it would be that the only thing he lacks is size and a bit of fitness. All that comes with pre seasons.

And let's not beat around the bush- no one here has a hot or stunning girlfriend. Why the hell would you spend all your time on Demonland?

I'll not have you talking like that about my missus thanks!!!