Ins & Outs

Striker475

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In: Blease. Like to think we could get a game out of a top 20 pick from 3 years ago. Honestly, his failure to reach the level (I understand the injury) and Watts' failure to perform at it have me scratching my head about that draft, and the one before with Morton.

Yeah, picking a kid who we knew would break his leg playing school footy was ridiculous. That's probably unfair, but plenty of players drafted in the teens never make it. Furthermore, a bunch who do make it take time.

Watts and Morton seem to me to be in a quite different category to Blease.

Spoke to Rivers after the game he's definitely right for this week. And from what Ive heard from people at the Casey game today (not on here):

Out: Garland, Bail (inj), Dunn (susp/omitt), Bennell, Jetta

In: Rivers, Gawn, Bate, McKenzie, Evans/Blease

Jetta was horrible yesterday, he seems to think he's Chris Judd when trying to work his way through traffic. He got caught for holding the ball at least three times yesterday that all lead to goals. I dont care if he has heaps of tackles, if hes turning over the ball when he has it with such monotonous regularity he cant be carried.

Plenty of others on thin ice, Gysberts turned it over far too much but lack of competition will save him. It should not matter if youve only played 10 games, that is not an excuse for poor form and make you undroppable.

Aussie was the same playing weight last week wasnt he? Seems when we're winning he's back, when we get whalloped hes too fat. Needs to get more than a handful of posessions and kick the goals when opportunities arise.

Sounds like Bate, Gawn, Rivers, Blease and Howe are all chances to be picked.

Bate for Dunn, Rivers for Garland, and Gawn for someone (we need a ruckman) seem likely changes. Blease and Howe will put pressure on players like Bennell, Jetta and Wonaeamirri. Maybe Blease will get Bail's spot.

With Casey form in mind

Out: Bail (fail), Garland (double fail), Dunn (idiotic act), Wonna (to Jenny Craig)

In: Rivers (self explanatory if fit), McKenzie (FTW!), Bate, Nicholson/Evans/Blease (as sub, and to give us something to get excited about)

Surely, even though he was in the Casey 2nds last week...Gawn MUST come in. What difference is there between playing Gawn and the Gold Coast playing Zac Smith. Blood the kid and get some game time into him. Newton isn't going to be a ruckman. Play him forward. Saying that:

IN - Gawn, Rivers, Macdonald, McKenzie, Bate

OUT - Dunn (susp.) Garland, Bail (inj), Bennell, Wona.

I know it won't happen but I would like to see Evans and Nicholson elevated and played this week. We are not much chop at the moment, we have heaps of injuries and if the club gave a couple of new faces a go we may unearth some exciting talent. Just because they're on the Rookie list doesn't mean they can't play football, Evans was well respected in WA and Nicholson was supposedly the best player in the Amateurs.

We are short on pace and they appear to have some and we need an injection of freshness in the team. I for one would prefer to play the young kids and lose, than stay with the same old and maybe win by some small margin in a game that has no meaning. If this is another development year then let's see if we can do some developing.

Yeah and put Gawn in as well let's see if he can play or if he's another like that beanpole we had at Sandy a few years ago.

Edited by RobbieF

With Casey form in mind

Out: Bail (fail), Garland (double fail), Dunn (idiotic act), Wonna (to Jenny Craig)

In: Rivers (self explanatory if fit), McKenzie (FTW!), Bate, Nicholson/Evans/Blease (as sub, and to give us something to get excited about)

Bang on target. 100% agree with these changes.

Those suggesting Howe and Gawn to come in after their effort in the VFL need to hop off the gas for juuuust a moment. Gawn needs to string some decent games together. Ditto Howe.

Evans, Nicholson and Blease have done exactly that and are more deserving to play AFL at present. Obviously McKenzie is a MFC player through and through so he comes straight in off the back of a 24-possession near BOG performance. :)

I'm a Morton fan. And believe Bartram doesn't have adequate skills under pressure. To many turn overs. But chopping and changing for the sake of it won't make any difference. None to be included will change the game style or intensity etc. It's all a bit of hit and miss at the moment. We hope the right spirit turns up

Edited by Harrisonrules

Those suggesting Howe and Gawn to come in after their effort in the VFL need to hop off the gas for juuuust a moment. Gawn needs to string some decent games together. Ditto Howe.

Evans, Nicholson and Blease have done exactly that and are more deserving to play AFL at present. Obviously McKenzie is a MFC player through and through so he comes straight in off the back of a 24-possession near BOG performance. :)

Howe has debatably done as well as Blease this year plus he has a season of senior football for Hobart in the TFL

Surely, even though he was in the Casey 2nds last week...Gawn MUST come in. What difference is there between playing Gawn and the Gold Coast playing Zac Smith.

Diff that Zac Smith is 2 years older then Gawn. Smith is a gun and while he is a first year player, he is 21 years old. not a 18 y.o.

i'll play nicholson. Looks to have very similar traits to Bail but more agile and faster. Agree who who ever mentioned Morton was similar to Embley. Very similar attributes. Physically and mentally. Make him earn a spot.

Diff that Zac Smith is 2 years older then Gawn. Smith is a gun and while he is a first year player, he is 21 years old. not a 18 y.o.

i'll play nicholson. Looks to have very similar traits to Bail but more agile and faster. Agree who who ever mentioned Morton was similar to Embley. Very similar attributes. Physically and mentally. Make him earn a spot.

Can we not talk about Zac Smith? Sorry, the name thing weirds me out a bit. (that's my name too =/)

Seems to be the consensus, but given St.Kilda's height, Gawn may be a punt worth taking....allows Martin, who is super fit, to be used down back if required. Sure he is raw, gives away free kicks and probably would have nil impact around the ground, but height may be an issue for us.

IN: Blease, Evans, Gawn, Howe, MacDonald, McKenzie, Rivers

OUT: Bail (inj), Garland (inj), Dunn (susp/omit), Bennell (omit), Newton (omit), Warnock (omit), Wonna (omit)

We need more runners, I've felt most of this year we're playing one tall to many and it's time we made players like Watts hold down CHF without sharing the role with Dunn or Bate, lets set this young team a challenge with 4 debutants, we also need to go smaller in our defensive end with St. Kilda's smaller forward line.

FB: MacDonald, Frawley, Bartram

HB: Tapscott, Rivers, Blease

C: Jones, McKenzie, Green

HF: Petterd, Watts, Maric

FF: Martin, Jurrah, Jetta

FOLL: Gawn, Moloney, Evans

INT: Davey, Gysberts, Sylvia

SUB: Howe

EMERG: Bennell, Morton, Newton

Out Jetta? He was hard at it all day, made 12 tackles.

An especially valid point when considering that Bail (out) and Trengove (out) are in our top 5 tacklers this year. We'll need someone to fill that void. Nice if McKenzie is ready...

IN: Blease, Evans, Gawn, Howe, MacDonald, McKenzie, Rivers

OUT: Bail (inj), Garland (inj), Dunn (susp/omit), Bennell (omit), Newton (omit), Warnock (omit), Wonna (omit)

We need more runners, I've felt most of this year we're playing one tall to many and it's time we made players like Watts hold down CHF without sharing the role with Dunn or Bate, lets set this young team a challenge with 4 debutants, we also need to go smaller in our defensive end with St. Kilda's smaller forward line.

FB: MacDonald, Frawley, Bartram

HB: Tapscott, Rivers, Blease

C: Jones, McKenzie, Green

HF: Petterd, Watts, Maric

FF: Martin, Jurrah, Jetta

FOLL: Gawn, Moloney, Evans

INT: Davey, Gysberts, Sylvia

SUB: Howe

EMERG: Bennell, Morton, Newton

Having lost Grimes - a running back - we need Frawley to continue to increase his running game. That considered, I can't see Warnock being dropped. We'll need Warnock to manage a big forward so that Frawley is free to run. I think..

Having lost Grimes - a running back - we need Frawley to continue to increase his running game. That considered, I can't see Warnock being dropped. We'll need Warnock to manage a big forward so that Frawley is free to run. I think..

The fundamental problem we have with our injury list is that there is now no pressure on underperforming players. Really, blokes like Dunn, Bennell, even Davey, need to feel like there are blokes who can and may take their spot if they don't do what is expected of them. At the moment, we are not in the position where we can drop most of them.

I think winning games is pretty much off the agenda at the moment, so I am inclined to award games to players who are going to do the team things. I think it sends a powerful message. If Davey won't work defensively, drop him. If Green won't give a second effort, drop him. But as I said, you can't do that unless you think there's another bloke who will give those efforts that is uninjured and ready for AFL. And you definitely don't want to give games to blokes who have been dropped for not doing what is expected and have not improved that in the VFL (e.g. Morton)

So in short, I think we will be putting up with the same mediocrity for a while yet.

Would love to see some new faces line up. We all would love to play finals but 2011 is still a development year, its good to be getting games into Tapscott, Watts, Gysberts, Trengove and hopefully now Maric, but we still need to introduce new players. Gawn should play as we need a 2nd ruckman and one off Evan/Nicholson/Blease should come in. McKenzie and MacDonald are givens to be included. I don't rate Rivers as an Automatic inclusion, unfortunately the coaching staff will this week if he is fit.

Jetta needs a good run in the seniors IMO. Hes a tackling machine. He got caught a few times but it was only because he was trying to create with stationary targets everywhere.

If you need that to prove that he's not up to the grade, good luck to you!

Jetta needs a good run in the seniors IMO. Hes a tackling machine. He got caught a few times but it was only because he was trying to create with stationary targets everywhere.

Hooray, at least on this thread there are at least two or three of us who actually watched the game and understood it, Jetta had 12 tackles and 17 pressure acts, made a couple of mistakes and is pilloried for it.....I have spoken to him a couple of times, he knows what he has to work on,and is trying to improve but at least he gives 100% each game he plays in, which is more than that can be said about some others at the moment.......I think that last bit is in English but you know what I mean

Edited by satyricon

Hooray, at least on this thread there are at least two or three of us who actually watched the game and understood it, Jetta had 12 tackles and 17 pressure acts, made a couple of mistakes and is pilloried for it.....I have spoken to him a couple of times, he knows what he has to work on,and is trying to improve but at least he gives 100% each game he plays in, which is more than that can be said about some others at the moment.......

Hard to disagree with that. It's not his fault he's not up to the grade. Like Brad Miller, Simon Godfrey and many others before them, if they try to get the most out of themselves, then they deserve recognition.

Inclined to agree, and whilst his errors are frustrating, I can see the beautiful butterfly starting to poke its way out of the chrysalis.....too much ???? :wub:

Aussie on the other hand, whilst many of us have a big soft spot for him, just can't be kept in the team with his lack of influence. We would like to think he can be the damaging small forward, but he's just not working hard enough in the right ways. The same could be said for Jamie Bennell at the moment, his lack of influence as an 'outside' player is frustrating, because we all know he has talent. One thing's for sure and whatever happens with selection, they will get more chances to earn back the love.

Newton is a dilemma. I basically and previously believed he is a citrus fruit of the yellow variety, but he was frankly a revelation in the first quarter. Marks, goals, tackles, assists, and don't forget how beautifully he milked that little slap for a 50m penalty! He didn't disgrace himself from there on, but did he do enough to earn his spot next week? If we were all prepared to ignore his history, e.g. imagine it was his first game for the club after being recruited mature age from the VFL, a la Duigan at Carlton, he definitely would. Should we look at him as maybe a late bloomer? Stranger things have happened, and it would be a massive bonus for the club.

All those who berate Martin for his efforts on Saturday need to T.A.L.H.L.A.T (take a long hard look at themselves). He was UNARGUABLY in our best 5 players.

Rivers and McKenzie are definite ins. Bate, MacDonald, Gawn, Morton, and Evans are all maybe's.

It's gonna be a fascinating week at the MFC, and there will be change, but remember.......a change is as good as a holiday. And who doesn't love a holiday ? :)