Casey Scorpions v Frankston

KC from Casey

I think jetta and bate are looking likely to come back in.

Has blease got poor skills or is he just running out of puff by the time he makes a disposal?

To those of us who watch most of the Casey games, and not just the ones on TV - this has been readily apparent. Such calls for Blease to be promoted to the ones are very, very premature.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone know what Petterd went off with? Commentators suggested dislocated knee (he was knocking his own knee from the outside).....perhaps someone with more medical knowledge than me can explain if a knee dislocation and coming back on are mutually exclusive or not...

Definitely wouldn't have been a knee dislocation. Any dislocation of the knee whether it be patellar or the actual tib/fib movement would result in significant inflammation/damage to surrounding structures i.e. ligaments.

Geez... after our performance against West Coast, and the performance of Casey at the moment, there is the chance of a LOT of changes this week.

We are playing the Gold Coast of the VFL.

Half Time

Casey Scorpions 10.5.65

Frankston 5.3.33

Another really strong quarter from Casey but wasteful. The midfield looks really good. Petterd stepped up, Nicholson was strong again and some really nice work from Howe all over the ground. He really can take a great mark.

Being mindful they look like they are playing against the Portsea Under 10’s, but a good week on the training track from Petterd and Newton (maybe Jetta) should see them in the mix for next week. Nicholson and Evans look good for mid-season upgrade (also a good downgrade target for dreamteam). Although wouldn’t be surprised if Howe comes in the next few weeks for a run.

Guys like Warnock, Macdonald, Bate, Maric and Jetta all look good and will put pressure on spots as the year goes on. However, Blease, Cook and McDonald need a little longer.

a good week on the training track from Petterd and Newton (maybe Jetta) should see them in the mix for next week.

Petterd yes, Newton no. He works hard but he completely lacks polish even at this level. And it kind of hurts knowing that Martin is playing so well, that we chose to promote Juice ahead of someone like Nicholson or Evans.

Bate had a good first quarter, so he might be in contention as well, but given how we played on Thursday I expected the Melbourne listed players to absolutely dominate. Sadly, Maric, Blease, Jetta, Newton and Bate have been just OK given how poor their opposition is. Joel McDonald and Matty Warnock are both doing their job but also lack polish. McDonald can't afford to make such dumb decisions with the footy when he's playing AFL.

On a bright note, I know he made some mistakes but I'm super impressed with Tom McDonald. This is the first time I've seen him play since the NAB Cup, and he has a lot of Frawley in him. Looks the goods for the future. And Jeremy Howe's marking is awesome.

Also WTF is with Lucas Cook being played down back? I know Casey's forwardline is full of talent (VFL- appropriate talent I should say), but he is our future and it should be a priority to give him game time at CHF.

On a bright note, I know he made some mistakes but I'm super impressed with Tom McDonald. This is the first time I've seen him play since the NAB Cup, and he has a lot of Frawley in him. Looks the goods for the future.

Fully agree with you there Jaded. He does look like he will be a tallent in the future.

Goals Bate Newton 2 Gent Howe Lawrence Maric Nicholson

Possesions

Jetta 14

Nicholson 14

Bate 10

Petterd 13

Howe 9

So hard to judge Bate and Newton at this level. You van still see the same deficiencies but they are a class above afl.

How are they a class above when they both make basic mistakes, misuse the footy, drop marks and kick poorly? Every mistake a player makes in the VFL is magnified 10 times when they make it at AFL level.

When I watch the composure of Cook to turn around and find a man in the forward 50 only for Newton to try and take on 6 players and get caught holding the ball, it makes me wonder how he'll ever make it back to the senior team?

And until Bate learns to pick a ball up cleanly off the ground he has no room in our forward line. He is the most vertical player I've ever seen.

Goor to see there are others commenting today. I'll take the rest of the game off.

It's on the box KC, that's why...

When I watch the composure of Cook to turn around and find a man in the forward 50 only for Newton to try and take on 6 players and get caught holding the ball, it makes me wonder how he'll ever make it back to the senior team?

Very selective appraisals there! Id hardly seen Cook until that passage of play. Newtons pressure on the defenders carrying the ball out of defence has been a highlight for mine, one lead directly to a goal for him and another a turnover. He's made one mistake that I can see so far! It seems people have already made their mind up about Newton and no matter how many 1%ers or team things he does he'll get criticised.

Petterd looks a class above VFL level. Ive had both a Collingwood and Richmond mates text me asking why the hell he's not playing in the seniors, if they can see it why cant our match committee?

And yes Tom McDonald looks very very composed. I really like the look of this kid.

Blease looks like he's still trying to play under 18 football, just grabbing the ball and running in a straight line trying to take guys on regardless of where his teammates are stationed waiting for it.

We have 0 midfield depth right now, Our listed players out there today are either developing ruckmen (Gawn, Spencer), marking forwards (Bate, Cook, Petterd), small forwards (Maric, Jetta), key defenders (Warnock, McDonald, MacDonald) the only guy that could be considered a 'midfielder' is Blease whose a long way off. I think we may need to promote Nicholson or Evan to give us options, otherwise our midfielders can continue to underperform and not feel pressure for their place.

Three Quarter Time

Casey Scorpions 14.6.90

Frankston 6.6.42

Once again they looked terrible and we took ‘somewhat’ advantage. We should have buried them and we couldn’t. Lack of delivery to the forward line and lack of pressure in the forward line. We tried to be too cute, look away handballs etc. Hoping they get a spray at 3 quarter time.

The backmen looked strong, Warnock and Macdonald a level above. Spence is rucking really well, no Jamar yet but the tap outs are there. Petterd, Nicholson and Howe look great. Petterd should play next week for the Dees, my smokey is Howe. Forwards are a mystery. Bate has kicked 5 but he’s had good delivery and a lot of luck. Maric and Newton have looked alright but nothing extraordinary in that quarter.

Blease picked up this quarter and looks more settled.

Goals: Bate 5 Maric Newton 2 Gent Howe Lawrence Nicholson,

Possesions: Maric 20, Bate 19, Jetta 18, Petterd 17, Nicholson 15, Howe 13, Newton 12

How are they a class above when they both make basic mistakes, misuse the footy, drop marks and kick poorly? Every mistake a player makes in the VFL is magnified 10 times when they make it at AFL level.

And until Bate learns to pick a ball up cleanly off the ground he has no room in our forward line. He is the most vertical player I've ever seen.

You must have misunderstood me, I'm saying exactly what you're saying. Good at VFL level but too many deficiencies to make it at Afl level.

I agree with a poster above, our list had a strange balance, seems like we have too many talls now and not enough midfield depth. All the players who have earned a call up today are forwards. Bate, petterd, Howe Maric. Jetta won't make it.

have to say im extremely disappointed with the performances of the melbourne listed players so far. i would have thought after such a terrible game thursday night that people would be doing everything they could to get a game next week.

bate - kicked 5, but still lacks pace, is poor on the ground, should be dominating this level

newton - is just a good vfl player, shouldnt play for the dees unless we have injuries.

petterd - good in patches, kicking letting him down at times

jetta / maric - both been ok without doing too much

been most impressed with howe and gawn. while gawn is still a fair way off, his ruckwork has impressed me, and is also good once the ball hits the ground, and shows some desperation. howe's marking has been fantastic, and is prepared to work hard to chase, might be a chance to get a game soon with the insipid performances of some melbourne players.

but overall, pretty disappointing game against the bottom of the ladder frankston team.

This game is interesting for a few reasons....whilst Casey are winning by 8 goals or so, what's notable in the context of this season's death of the MFC on Thursday night, is the similar lack of intensity of the Scorpions. They are being caught behind, consistently waiting for the error and the receive (which they are getting a lot of and kicking goals), and showing a woeful lack of physical presence and clean skills. Given that Frankston are the easybeats of the VFL, this is just amazing. I can only come to the conclusion that there is an infection of gutlessness at the heart of the MFC and it's associates....we have so many frontrunners it's just scary.

Who has stood up today, as at 3 quarter time.....hmmmmm? Bate is dominant, sure, but do we really expect him to be better than he has really shown so far in the AFL? Logic says he should get a call-up though, and he should be [censored] off it he doesn't get it. Ricky Petterd? I know there is a level of demonland enthusiasm for him, but has he really shown today that he wants/deserves a gig next week? I wish he had, but not on today's effort. Nicholson and Evans....equally willing, and getting a bit of it, but not for 4 quarters I would venture. Jeremy Howe gives me the most hope. He is skilled, competitive, and seems to be adjusting to the pace of the VFL pretty quickly, but not AFL yet. Similar feelings about Tom McDonald, but less ready. Jetta, no, because he's not physical enough, and just floats in and out. Newton, still can't take a contested mark.

I guess I wanted to see some 'hardness' and a bit of mongrel intensity from the Scorpions today.....maybe to compensate for the gutless wonders of Thursday. It isn't there, and it seems it's not in our nature.

Those who were looking for justified wholesale changes before Adelaide, it isn't going to happen. Bate in for Morton. That's all I can see.

midfield depth is low, when you throw in a scully and mckenzie we look a lot better, alot better they are two of the work horses we could use in the middle.

No mckenzie and mcdonald is costing us 15 tackles a game atm not to mention scully's tackling output.... considering what we lack in spades is pressure....

yes nicholson ect would be nice, is strauss playing or was he on melbournes bench for thursday?

yes nicholson ect would be nice, is strauss playing or was he on melbournes bench for thursday?

Strauss got injured in a training collision with Newton on Weds. there is a thread somewhere on this. 2-3 weeks I believe?

This game is interesting for a few reasons....whilst Casey are winning by 8 goals or so, what's notable in the context of this season's death of the MFC on Thursday night, is the similar lack of intensity of the Scorpions. They are being caught behind, consistently waiting for the error and the receive (which they are getting a lot of and kicking goals), and showing a woeful lack of physical presence and clean skills. Given that Frankston are the easybeats of the VFL, this is just amazing. I can only come to the conclusion that there is an infection of gutlessness at the heart of the MFC and it's associates....we have so many frontrunners it's just scary.

Who has stood up today, as at 3 quarter time.....hmmmmm? Bate is dominant, sure, but do we really expect him to be better than he has really shown so far in the AFL? Logic says he should get a call-up though, and he should be [censored] off it he doesn't get it. Ricky Petterd? I know there is a level of demonland enthusiasm for him, but has he really shown today that he wants/deserves a gig next week? I wish he had, but not on today's effort. Nicholson and Evans....equally willing, and getting a bit of it, but not for 4 quarters I would venture. Jeremy Howe gives me the most hope. He is skilled, competitive, and seems to be adjusting to the pace of the VFL pretty quickly, but not AFL yet. Similar feelings about Tom McDonald, but less ready. Jetta, no, because he's not physical enough, and just floats in and out. Newton, still can't take a contested mark.

I guess I wanted to see some 'hardness' and a bit of mongrel intensity from the Scorpions today.....maybe to compensate for the gutless wonders of Thursday. It isn't there, and it seems it's not in our nature.

Those who were looking for justified wholesale changes before Adelaide, it isn't going to happen. Bate in for Morton. That's all I can see.

This doesn't surprise me there seems to be a culture at Melbourne where your card is stamped one way or the other, after a while, if it's negative, you are never going to get a game, if it's positive your time will come so why bust a gut.

Why on earth did they promote Juice as the nominated rookie if he isn't going to get a game? Why do they persist with him if he isn't going to cut the mustard?

Why do we recruit talls when we have such a poor midfield? How much pressure is there on Jones and Moloney for their spots; zero. They can continue to make mistakes week after week beat up on lesser teams and go missing when the heat is on without the fear of being dropped. Jones is a battler at best but he's our number one midfielder at the moment, wow!

If there is genuine competition you will see the lesser players try to get in to the firsts and the senior players try to retain their spots, if there is none and the second tier have no chance then what is the point?