Roos will coach the Demons

Guest DeesPower

BAILEY OUT<NO DOUBT.WISHING FOR MALTHOUSE THOUGH WELLMAN IS LOGICAL>

WELLMAN STARTS HERE

Ok, so I dont usually post much on here but the when I read something really dumb I feel the need to. This post really got to me.

a) Bailey has turned over our entire list (Jack Watts, Tom scully, Gysberts, and Trngrove all say hi!)

B) We need to build our average games by about 60-80 to even consider a premiership

c) We have lost years of experience over the last 3 years

d) Our win/loss record is obviously improving

e) Wellman signed a contract and then left us when the Hirdy offer came along. Do you really think he would be welcome back?

f) You sir, are an idiot.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want Bailey to succeed. I reckon he's thoughtful and smart and there's just something likable about the guy. I also like the idea of him rebuilding from scratch and taking us all the way to the top. But for whatever reason, I don't see any improvement in Melbourne so far after a really good 2010. I know that as you get higher and the opposition takes you more seriously, it gets harder. But something just seems amiss with the team. The desire and intensity. Perhaps it is losing the backline coach. Not sure.

As to Roos, I doubt he'll coach again with two teenage sons. Whatever people think of his game plan, he assessed what needed to be done to win a flag and achieved it. The runs are on the board. That demands respect. I like the guy, can't help it. But I can see why others don't.

So how does this refer to rumblings from within?

You trying to infer something in the article that was not there.....no matter how you wriggle.

Agree, I didn't pick up on any such inferences.

Here is a big statement "forget Roos"

he will not coach any team in 2012 let alone Melbourne!

I disagree- he will coach- The Sydney Acadamy team which he is doing this year-however I agree, he will not coach any AFL team in 2012.We will have Bailey for the next two years after we make the 8 this year.

I disagree- he will coach- The Sydney Acadamy team which he is doing this year-however I agree, he will not coach any AFL team in 2012.We will have Bailey for the next two years after we make the 8 this year.

I like your confidence!

Guest bonjohn

Whoa, i'll go easy as its your ninth post but there are a few holes in your arguement. Yes I agree that wellman was exceptional with our backline last season and this season we dont seem to have the same level of performance from pour backs six partly attributed to the injury to chippa.

How do you know that bailey lacks the respect of his players??? Give us something quantifiable. To question the handling of gysberts and petterd is equally ridiculous. Both have suffered from injuries, Gysberts a back problem and Petterd a shoulder. Petterd was dropped after barely getting near it against Hawthorn.

And Jonesy, opinion is divided on him amongst supporters, I feel he is an honest battler.

Do not go easy,this aint the MCG where a 9 game rookie might struggle.maybe i should hail to your experience.

It is quantifiable to me,and many other supporters.To believe you need to be part of a group to judge it is ludicrous.

We all go by our own anecdotal evidence in regards to the players respect level for Bailey. I do not believe players are outrageously angry with him ,which, in aussie rules vernacular means losing respect.Respect can be lost or never gained before we get to that point.

I say "respect" in respect of a Senior AFL coach.I am sure the players like and respect him in other ways.On the flip side ,if i am incorrect,we do not have a game plan to match modern footy.Our harassment of oppositions is auskick.But i digress.

they do not play as if they respect him.That is the only measuring stick we have.Who in this forum is honestly respectful of Valium Baileys reputation-in comparison to Malthouse all the way down to the Scotts and Hardwick.

Hardwick gets a hell of a lot more out of his team than Valium Bailey does.

Case in point our first half against Richmond 2010.

Hardwick had Richmond at us .He had fired them up and they reacted by out contesting us.Our class,in comparison to Richmonds, got us over the line.A win yes, but a substantial warning sign that had been warmed by many small alarms,there were no surprises.(thx Radiohead)

NTH Melbourne did the same thing,Scott used the game as a final.He put it to his players that Melbourne were gaining a reputable list without reputable results ,they smashed us.

Our intensity is poor and if a coach has a job it is at least to manage intensity to a good enough and sustainable level.Our starts are poor,even against the Schoolboy Suns.This is when the coaches message is atits most indelible.

Footballers are people who rank by reputation,it takes an especially dynamic personality to over throw that fact.Allistair Clarkson bulldozed himself a rep.

Who is Dean Bailey?Not many people know in the simplest asking of that question,but seriously who is he?What does he stand for,aside from droned rhetoric.Where does his passion ,balanced with anger and excitement,lie?

We are regressing people,there is no pressure on the opposition.Not perceived pressure from a strategic set up or by the players via intensity.Bad habits are becoming our development.

Most contributors to the mass media of Aussie Rules are disappointed by Melbourne,we are not where they expected us to be.

Every Melbourne supporter should ask themselves one honest question- Do i believe our current coach will lead us to a premiership?

if the answer is instinctively and essentially no,you should not support Bailey in any way.Do not feel any obligation to the man as a supporter as this is his career and he will change jumpers without conscience when he leaves.We do not serve him ,he serves us.

That is perhaps the worst post about this topic I have ever read.

Do not go easy,this aint the MCG where a 9 game rookie might struggle.maybe i should hail to your experience.

It is quantifiable to me,and many other supporters.To believe you need to be part of a group to judge it is ludicrous.

We all go by our own anecdotal evidence in regards to the players respect level for Bailey. I do not believe players are outrageously angry with him ,which, in aussie rules vernacular means losing respect.Respect can be lost or never gained before we get to that point.

I say "respect" in respect of a Senior AFL coach.I am sure the players like and respect him in other ways.On the flip side ,if i am incorrect,we do not have a game plan to match modern footy.Our harassment of oppositions is auskick.But i digress.

they do not play as if they respect him.That is the only measuring stick we have.Who in this forum is honestly respectful of Valium Baileys reputation-in comparison to Malthouse all the way down to the Scotts and Hardwick.

Hardwick gets a hell of a lot more out of his team than Valium Bailey does.

Case in point our first half against Richmond 2010.

Hardwick had Richmond at us .He had fired them up and they reacted by out contesting us.Our class,in comparison to Richmonds, got us over the line.A win yes, but a substantial warning sign that had been warmed by many small alarms,there were no surprises.(thx Radiohead)

NTH Melbourne did the same thing,Scott used the game as a final.He put it to his players that Melbourne were gaining a reputable list without reputable results ,they smashed us.

Our intensity is poor and if a coach has a job it is at least to manage intensity to a good enough and sustainable level.Our starts are poor,even against the Schoolboy Suns.This is when the coaches message is atits most indelible.

Footballers are people who rank by reputation,it takes an especially dynamic personality to over throw that fact.Allistair Clarkson bulldozed himself a rep.

Who is Dean Bailey?Not many people know in the simplest asking of that question,but seriously who is he?What does he stand for,aside from droned rhetoric.Where does his passion ,balanced with anger and excitement,lie?

We are regressing people,there is no pressure on the opposition.Not perceived pressure from a strategic set up or by the players via intensity.Bad habits are becoming our development.

Most contributors to the mass media of Aussie Rules are disappointed by Melbourne,we are not where they expected us to be.

Every Melbourne supporter should ask themselves one honest question- Do i believe our current coach will lead us to a premiership?

if the answer is instinctively and essentially no,you should not support Bailey in any way.Do not feel any obligation to the man as a supporter as this is his career and he will change jumpers without conscience when he leaves.We do not serve him ,he serves us.

There really are some gaping holes in your argument.

So your evidence that Richmond respect Hardwick and the Roos respect Scott more is that they were more fired up to play us? So therefore the fact that we ran last year’s Premiers to a point, and then drew with them the next time around (when they had the chance to learn from the first time) means that our players respect Bailey more than Collingwood players respect Malthouse.

You’re making some pretty big assumptions for someone not in the inner sanctum of the club. Yes our intensity certainly hasn’t been up to scratch this year. We likely thought we had it won against Brisbane and almost paid a massive price. You do realise that every club does that?

Do Melbourne supporters believe our current coach will lead us to a premiership you ask. Did Hawthorn supporters believe Al Clarkson would lead them to a premiership? Did Geelong supporters believe Mark Thompson would lead them to a premiership?

There is a reason that supporters don’t make decisions for footy clubs. If we let our supporters make decisions based on the informed opinions they think they have from sitting on their lounge chair at home yelling at the TV we would have had 8 coaches since 2007.

Football is such a complicated game. It isn’t easy. It takes time to build a team good enough to win a flag. There is no set course. Some teams have some luck and do it quicker than expected (Hawthorn), some teams take a long time (Collingwood). Some teams do almost everything right and just don’t have enough luck (St Kilda).

We aren’t playing overly well at the moment. It is frustrating and if we play like this all year then there will be some questions asked. But some of you need to calm down and stop blowing up after 4 rounds.

Valium Bailey

Not sure I agreed with much of what you wrote but I did chuckle at valium Bailey. Classic!

Incidentally, how many games did Valium Bailey play for Essendon? I don't remember anything of him as a player.

Guest bonjohn

There really are some gaping holes in your argument.

So your evidence that Richmond respect Hardwick and the Roos respect Scott more is that they were more fired up to play us? So therefore the fact that we ran last year’s Premiers to a point, and then drew with them the next time around (when they had the chance to learn from the first time) means that our players respect Bailey more than Collingwood players respect Malthouse.

You’re making some pretty big assumptions for someone not in the inner sanctum of the club. Yes our intensity certainly hasn’t been up to scratch this year. We likely thought we had it won against Brisbane and almost paid a massive price. You do realise that every club does that?

Do Melbourne supporters believe our current coach will lead us to a premiership you ask. Did Hawthorn supporters believe Al Clarkson would lead them to a premiership? Did Geelong supporters believe Mark Thompson would lead them to a premiership?

There is a reason that supporters don’t make decisions for footy clubs. If we let our supporters make decisions based on the informed opinions they think they have from sitting on their lounge chair at home yelling at the TV we would have had 8 coaches since 2007.

Football is such a complicated game. It isn’t easy. It takes time to build a team good enough to win a flag. There is no set course. Some teams have some luck and do it quicker than expected (Hawthorn), some teams take a long time (Collingwood). Some teams do almost everything right and just don’t have enough luck (St Kilda).

We aren’t playing overly well at the moment. It is frustrating and if we play like this all year then there will be some questions asked. But some of you need to calm down and stop blowing up after 4 rounds.

thanks for the condescension,should i be so condescending to you?

You mentioned our efforts against Collingwood,sad pervayor you are.

Mick Malthouse lamented Melbourne for its efforts last year.He said we were fantastic,aggressive and played finals type football.that was not the lament,he was mystified to how Melbourne could climb so terrifically one week and be so ordinary the next.I genuinely took it as constructive criticism of the MFC .

An indictment on those that run the club,if you are a head of an organisation that can only lift for certain games you need to go.Most people recognise Malthouse as a fair mind in modern footy.For you to use an example of our qualities when the aforementioned mind was mystified and was quite obviously suggesting he would never allow that from his group is a Warne to Gatting for the MFC and to your premise for argument.

Before you come back with the fact we are a young group,so are collingwood.if you stagnate for a year you lose three.

An indictment on those that run the club,if you are a head of an organisation that can only lift for certain games you need to go.

But Scott and Hardwick have more respect despite the fact that North got smashed by Collingwood and Richmond got smashed by Hawthorn. FMD, try to run a consistent line across 3 paragraphs will you. It mean FA about respect - all three teams are developing and will have erratic performances.

I think I'll just come back in 3 years.

But Scott and Hardwick have more respect despite the fact that North got smashed by Collingwood and Richmond got smashed by Hawthorn. FMD, try to run a consistent line across 3 paragraphs will you. It mean FA about respect - all three teams are developing and will have erratic performances.

I think I'll just come back in 3 years.

Or at least a few more games...

Yes!

Here we have a coach in Bailey who has virtually dismantled what he had inherited and then re-built from the ground up a team that will start to move ahead in leaps and bounds over the next couple of seasons. I would think that the football department probably now considers the list to be where they wanted in terms of player acquisitions, so now they can settle into the process of team development as opposed to player development.

The way I see it, this is essentially year one of Bailey's coaching tenure as he now has the team assembled to take us forward into the finals and eventually the grand final. We are already ahead of where we were at this point last year, which was well ahead of where we were the year before, so I am perfectly content to see how the rest of the season pans out before putting the boot in.

These so called supporters who are sharpening the knives just four weeks into a season really p#ss me off... they either conveniently forget, or just plain overlook the fact that we came very close to making the eight last year, had we not run out of steam late in the season due to youth and lack of experience; they overlook the fact that we are still in a team development phase and although we will improve, we will also experience highs and lows on and off the field; they are always looking back over their shoulder instead of at what is ahead of them.

Edited by hardtack

Guest 36DD

thanks for the condescension,should i be so condescending to you?

You mentioned our efforts against Collingwood,sad pervayor you are.

Mick Malthouse lamented Melbourne for its efforts last year.He said we were fantastic,aggressive and played finals type football.that was not the lament,he was mystified to how Melbourne could climb so terrifically one week and be so ordinary the next.I genuinely took it as constructive criticism of the MFC .

An indictment on those that run the club,if you are a head of an organisation that can only lift for certain games you need to go.Most people recognise Malthouse as a fair mind in modern footy.For you to use an example of our qualities when the aforementioned mind was mystified and was quite obviously suggesting he would never allow that from his group is a Warne to Gatting for the MFC and to your premise for argument.

Before you come back with the fact we are a young group,so are collingwood.if you stagnate for a year you lose three.

Geez you are really pumping up Mick's tyres...took Malthouse 10 years to get a premiership with the Pies, admittedly he made the granny twice before, but if you are a runner up you may as well have finished last. If the ball had of bounced for milne they may have even missed out again, GF are hard to get to, even harder to win.

Yes the team has been inconsistent this season, this is a sign of their lack of experience, losing McDonald, Bruce and Miller and their 500 odd games of experience will do that. What an educated football follower looks for is improvement in players. So far this season I have seen vast improvement in Bail, Martin, Bennell even Moloney. Shouldn't this be our focus.

Christ if we had you doing the hiring and firing at the MFC we would be in the shizen.

Temper your expectations it will take around 7 to 10 years to build a team that contends for the premiership on a regular basis.

Guest 36DD

I have never heard of an instance where anecdotal evidence has been used to quantify a position. The only way in which you could quantify you belief that the players do not respect Bailey is if you have some inside knowledge from the playing group and of course then you would have to name names and clarify you relationship with said players...balls in your court

Guest 36DD

Yes!

Here we have a coach in Bailey who has virtually dismantled what he had inherited and then re-built from the ground up a team that will start to move ahead in leaps and bounds over the next couple of seasons. I would think that the football department probably now considers the list to be where they wanted in terms of player acquisitions, so now they can settle into the process of team development as opposed to player development.

The way I see it, this is essentially year one of Bailey's coaching tenure as he now has the team assembled to take us forward into the finals and eventually the grand final. We are already ahead of where we were at this point last year, which was well ahead of where we were the year before, so I am perfectly content to see how the rest of the season pans out before putting the boot in.

These so called supporters who are sharpening the knives just four weeks into a season really p#ss me off... they either conveniently forget, or just plain overlook the fact that we came very close to making the eight last year, had we not run out of steam late in the season due to youth and lack of experience; they overlook the fact that we are still in a team development phase and although we will improve, we will also experience highs and lows on and off the field; they are always looking back over their shoulder instead of at what is ahead of them.

Well said, pretty much sums it up

The Paragraph i highlighted in # 44 caught my attention. If all was well i doubt Cameron would have made that statement to a journalist. He left the door open.

If all was running smoothly this would have all stayed in house IMO.

This is probably a reflection of the completion of our list rebuild as we transition into the next phase of development and the climb. This brings about a new set of dynamics, where peoples Ideas will differ, and some contracts are coming about. People will naturally want to instill their Ideas to what they believe should be the direction of our Future.

This needs to be sorted soon, so every one knows the Direction we are taking,,, and they can get on the tram, or not.

Think you might find there will be no red in the jumpers of the team he might coach. Just blue.

One story goes along the lines that when Roos returned from USA he moved back into his Nth Carlton home and told an old friend that he would be at Carlton in 2012. Not specifically that he would coach just that he would be there.

That was late last year, soon after that there were noticeable rumblings coming from CFC that Ratten needs to do better in 2011 and that he needs to at least win a final.

In AFL promises arent worth the paper they are (not) written on, and the blue baggers are worse than most. And it is possible it was just a sarcastic aside from Roos. But I believe the comment was made.

I would like to find decent odds and lay a twenty on the strength of the story that many at the Great Northern Hotel believe will eventuate.

Edited by Franky_31

Spoken like a true Melburnian :-) Up here in Sydney, we all get on board the bandwagon.

aHaHaHaHa, yeah, I added that last bit as I read through, and thought of the recent advertising we did. It seemed appropriate, and positive.

What does a 'bandwagon' look like?

BandPhoto.jpg

:)

Edited by dee-luded

For those that don't like Bailey - what has happened so far is not enough to call for his head.

We are playing awful footy and our forward press isn't there at the moment. But we have only played four awful quarters of footy, accross four games and as we are a developing side - it's going to happen.

I don't know whether Bailey can coach, I don't know if he will be resigned, but nothing I have seen makes me think we are off-track.

In fact, I didn't expect Gysberts and Tapscott to establish themselves so soon this year, so if anything - we are ahead of where I thought we would be in our journey for a flag.

Gameplans can be tweaked when we are good, but you can't put 3 years of experience into a kid over a pre-season...

For those that don't like Bailey - what has happened so far is not enough to call for his head.

We are playing awful footy and our forward press isn't there at the moment. But we have only played four awful quarters of footy, accross four games and as we are a developing side - it's going to happen.

I don't know whether Bailey can coach, I don't know if he will be resigned, but nothing I have seen makes me think we are off-track.

In fact, I didn't expect Gysberts and Tapscott to establish themselves so soon this year, so if anything - we are ahead of where I thought we would be in our journey for a flag.

Gameplans can be tweaked when we are good, but you can't put 3 years of experience into a kid over a pre-season...

Rpfc, many of us expect our team performance to improve over what we've seen so far this year. But if it doesn't improve, which I'm just beginning to think is a real possibility, do you think DB will stay?

Perhaps it's just a matter of everybody who is pro-Bailey thinks we'll improve, and everybody anti-Bailey doesn't. In which case, it's entirely in Bailey's hands - if we improve as a team, he definitely stays, but if not, it's up in the air.