Vent Your Spleen

gOLLy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, if they kicked straight it would have been game over at quarter time.

We had some breath taking moments in the second, and showed how good we can be when we win the contested footy, but they dominated in all but that one quarter.

They are a far better team, with a far superior midfield and they'll get much further than us this year. If you believed otherwise than you believed the unjustified hype.

In fact, I'm going to guess that the team that played them last year was more experienced than the team we had playing tonight.

About time there was a balanced answer to the game.

Hawthorn kicked 16.26 FFS we were lucky they were useless in front of goal.

Hopefully it will lose those Bastards a flag...but the MFC is not at that level yet. We played BRILLIANT football for 20 minutes-a taste. But as yet we are not big and strong enough to sustain it for 4 Quarters.

Tonight's effort was in no way good enough, but we did get a little taster in that 2nd Q of the level we must get to consistently.

I am not happy, but i do not wish to set fire to the Club like some on here.

It just showed today how much MFC were missing the like of Scully & Jordie in the middle today. MFC need to get at least 16-18 games into Gysbert (providing he is fully fit) as I assume he will play a big part in the MFC for the next 8-10 years.

I was at the game and it was extremely painful to watch that third quarter. I was filthy walking away. But in all honesty guys, the hawks IMO are the only serious threat to filth this year. We played a solid quarter and a half of football and were beating them. Then they lifted it a level and our blokes just weren't able to stand up to them. We won't be the only side they do this to this year. We aren't a top 4 side yet, as much as people seem to think we should be.

I'll be judging our players not so much in the hawthorn, collingXXXX games, but more in the games that we SHOULD win. Like Adelaide, Sydney, Richmond, Essendon, Westcoast, Brisbane, Port etc.

Our Midfield was beaten today, by one of the best in the league, this should surprise nobody. It stings, but its reality.

Maric, Jones, Jetta and Benell need a big next week to hold they're spots for mine.

Thought Tappy, Sylvia, Martin, Davey were solid.

Hopefully the season for us can start from here.

Pretty poor performance. In the 3rd quarter, I honestly reckon we were worse than GC last night. Hawthorn are a better team no doubt, but we need to be more competitive. We were lucky not to lose the game by 80-100 points. It was a step back, but we have Brisbane and GC over next two weeks. Really need to play well and beat both of these teams comfortably for some confidence.

Moloney was horrible tonight. I didn't watch the whole game (too painful) but every time he went near the ball, it was a turnover/mistake. The 3rd quarter was embarrassing. Hawthorn just kept it in their forward 50 and had countless shows on goal.

That is just simply not true. Very unfair criticism.

Like others, extremely filthy.

To roll over like that speaks volumes about our leaders and coaches.

Absolutely pathetic.

Well done to guys like Stef and Luke T who are trying their guts out. I am missing Jordie terribly.

Our clearance work or lack of I believe was the source the whole fiasco tonight.

I heard Stan Alves say how our youth was apparantly to blame for tonight' debacle but most centre square ballups I saw had Moloney, Jones, Sylvia and Jamar being smashed

by the Hawthorn mid field. They are not youth.

The Hawks highlighted in emphatic terms Melbourne's biggest weakness being a lack of quality clearance mids. Jones and Moloney are plodders at best

That was F'ing attrocious, How does the club expect to ever get 40,000 members with trash like that. We have been suffering the same lack of heart for years, remember when David Schwarz pushed Sam Newman over on the footy show with a pie in the face, that was because Sam was calling us a joke! and 10-15 years on we are back at the same place! [censored] weak performances, no heart and stupid fundamental errors!

I was sitting in the in the back pocket at the city end and blind Freddie could see that it was not a good idea to kick it there but we did it every F'ing time! Not once did they try something different. Bails has a serious lack of innovation, so many things in the modern game have derrived from basketball. Basically teams now do a full court press in the forward 50 to make it hard to kick the ball out, there are plays in basketball called press breaks that some principles could quite easily be adpoted to footy! simple principle that when done correctly will smash any press!

Do something different! Show some imagination and innovation, all clubs are busy following Geelongs lead now C'wood's lead that they miss a greater opportunity. By the time we figure their game style out and get the players to do it someone else has come up with something new and then we all follow that.

I was happy with Jack Watts tonight! Thought he showed some better signs, and Tappy will be a champ for us.

On the radio I heard that Tom Scully is gonna be out for 7-8 or 10-12 weeks, anyone heard differently? To me it sounds like he has already signed with GWS and this is just an excuse not to give him game time! 10-12 for what was originally cally knee soreness WTF.

Come out now and committ or F off, give us the supporters, Jim Stynes and the absolute champions number that you wear something to build on! or is this all just [censored] and wind from the club?

A very disallusioned, disappointed and Deeflated supporter!

The thing for me is the lack of gameplan. As soon as the Hawks kicked a few goals in the third we went in to our shells and starting pushing everyone up the ground. As soon as the ball came out of their 50 we had no forwards or were out numbered and the ball came straight back in. The Hawks were ALWAYS going to get themselves back in to the game, the key was for us to keep attacking as well. Instead we went defensive and we rolled over.

No-one can blame the forward line tonight. It's hard when you aren't given the actual opportunity to play inside the forward 50 and instead are continually pushing up the ground.

Jetta didn't run hard all night and Maric isn't up to it. Nathan Jones also needs to be dropped, his continually turns the ball over and looks second rate.

We just can not Zone, we stink at it. So if we are so bad at Zoning don't do it, evolve the game to Man on Man. Or at least if something is not workin change it. In the third quarter when our zone was stuffed the call should have gone out to man up one on one shut your man down.

When we needed players to show leadership our leaders went missing. I can't understand why we kept kicking the footy to the MCC Members pocket, I remember 3 times Col Sylvia worked to a very good spot on th AFL Members wing but we chipped the ball around then eventually kicked to a contest in front of the MCC members.

At some stage the football department needs to start to back up the great work the club has done off field. Everytime we put in a performance like tonight it sets the club back. A win tonight would of given us a chace to break 40,000 members now we have no chance. A good performance tonight would of seen 30,000+ at the game next week now we will be luck to get 20,000. Our Off field team can't keep positive momentum when we deliver garbage on field.

Come on, if they kicked straight it would have been game over at quarter time.

We had some breath taking moments in the second, and showed how good we can be when we win the contested footy, but they dominated in all but that one quarter.

They are a far better team, with a far superior midfield and they'll get much further than us this year. If you believed otherwise than you believed the unjustified hype.

In fact, I'm going to guess that the team that played them last year was more experienced than the team we had playing tonight.

Could not agree more Jaded.

I came home had something to eat and a single malt so I would let the anger flow out before I turned on the computer.

What I saw today:

I saw a team that was total out classed

In saw a team that should have been out of the game by quarter time.

I saw 22 melbourne players none of whom I can say beat their opponent the majority of the time.

I saw a team that could not clear the ball at kick ins and we had plenty of them to get it right.

I saw a team that will not make the finals this year.

I saw a team that is unfortunately a long way from being a power side.

I saw a game plan that I do not believe our players have the skill to implement against good opposition.

I saw 5 out of 21 players that could hold their heads up tonight, Tapscott, Bail,Martin, Rivers and Sylvia

I saw a coach that is so composed it makes me puck.

I saw My dream slip out by an additonal year.

So back to the single Malt and dreams of 2015 before we can cut it with the likes of Hawthorn.

Losing to Hawthorn is excusable.

Not developing any sort of plan to get the ball out of kick-ins is bearable (just).

Rolling over, not giving a yelp, is totally unforgiveable.

Far too many players looked like they weren't trying. No gut running. Weak tackling. Non-negotiables were lacking. They lifted, sure, and they would have beaten us if we'd tried harder, but the lack of effort was appalling.

TEAM

Backline structure at kick-ins was embarrassing. Repeating the same sequence six times in a row in third quarter and not working once. Backline coach needs a rod hot poker shoved somewhere. And how SLOW do we get our kick-ins started???

Totally utterly agree. Poor Tapscott. He could barely walk in the last yet still tried to run and cover a player on the wing.

Yes he was too slow kicking out, but that can be fixed by coaching and leadership - two of the many things we were lacking tonight. Tapscott is just a 2nd game player and someone needed to tell him to use plan B or Plan C or ANYTHING. Instead we fall into the same old Hawthorn trap - they increase the pressure on our backline; we lose confidence and panic under pressure, and turn the ball over. When he kicks that ball out from full back - we should have 18 guys knowing what he's going to do and where they have to be.

Tell me this ...if they score 9 goals in a quarter - doesn't that give us 9 chances to win the ball at the centre square and launch the ball into our forward line? Surely there must be other tactics we can use. Are we getting done at the bounce simply because Hale's arm is longer than Jamar's arm? And do the words 'man up' mean anything to the team? We continually give our opponents 5 to 10 metres and they continually led us to the ball . If things are going badly, let's try playing man-on-man for a few minutes ...please!!!

Finally, to let them score a goal within 30 seconds of the start of the last quarter, after a terrible hiding in the 3rd and (hopefully) a baking from the coaches at 3/4 time, is one of the most shameful performances i seen from the club.

I came home had something to eat and a single malt so I would let the anger flow out before I turned on the computer.

What I saw today:

I saw 22 melbourne players none of whom I can say beat their opponent the majority of the time.

I saw a team that could not clear the ball at kick ins and we had plenty of them to get it right.

I saw a game plan that I do not believe our players have the skill to implement against good opposition.

I saw 5 out of 21 players that could hold their heads up tonight, Tapscott, Bail,Martin, Rivers and Sylvia

So back to the single Malt and dreams of 2015 before we can cut it with the likes of Hawthorn.

You are correct O.D. but we were never going to be a "Power Side" this year, our young kids are still learning the caper.

Not an excuse for tonight-But our team still needs to get stronger in the Gym and in the Skull

Don't lose too much heart mate, the 2nd Quarter gave us all a glimpse of what will be.

Hardest part of the game for me to take was watching Cameron Bruce out running Jack Trengove and then going on to kick a goal.

Hang on , that can't be right , Lord E25 thinks Trengove is up there with the quickest blokes in the league .

Guest Thomo

What I saw today:

Quality post. My spleen feels vented just reading it.

Edited by Thomo

Melbourne embarrassed me tonight.

I gave my heart and soul for the first half belting my voice out in the MCC and the second half was a disgrace. The one trouble with footy supporting is if there's a dramatic turn all the opposition supporters who put up with your cr*p love rubbing it in your face. I copped it hard.

Thanks alot Dees.

Edited by Demon Land 7

I gave my heart and soul for the first half belting my voice out in the MCC and the second half was a disgrace. The one trouble with footy supporting is if there's a dramatic turn all the opposition supporters who put up with your [censored] love rubbing it in your face. I copped it hard.

Thanks alot Dees.

Me too. It sucks so much. We haven't beaten them in years.

Beaten 75 to 35 on the forward 50 entries really tells the tale. Our forwards didn't get enough opportunity and our defenders saw far too much of the ball. Midfield was deplorable - Jones and Moloney cannot play in the same side. Leadership group is looking shaky too. Of the onfield leaders only Rivers fulfilled the role description tonight.

I gave my heart and soul for the first half belting my voice out in the MCC and the second half was a disgrace. The one trouble with footy supporting is if there's a dramatic turn all the opposition supporters who put up with your [censored] love rubbing it in your face. I copped it hard.

Thanks alot Dees.

HaHaHaHa!! you will be back....that 2nd Q i will watch again. :lol:

I almost got on facebook during the Second Q, to lay into Dawk mates, very glad i held back!!

5 minutes before half time the wheel turned.

question jones - someone started a thread last week and i didnt comment but for a senior player he is not up to it

hello gys

Massive liability...one paced, poor skills by foot...is he contracted beyond this year?

Thanks alot Dees.

Sadly , it seems to be our lot .

It's 1 thing to lose , another to totally capitulate .