Jack Watts

Steamin Demon

In other words he doesn't want to make a mistake. it plays on his mind and it shows. He's naturally a quick decision maker so why do we continually watch hold up play. He's not yet playing on instinct, his brain is too involved and like all brains it's a tad scared of making a mistake. Argue all you like but on this I'm spot on.

Pretty well right with that comment, have also noticed that he is trying to do the team thing far to often instead of just taking it on and doing what he thinks he can do, as he gets bigger in mind and body he will then start to show what he can do.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words he doesn't want to make a mistake. it plays on his mind and it shows. He's naturally a quick decision maker so why do we continually watch hold up play. He's not yet playing on instinct, his brain is too involved and like all brains it's a tad scared of making a mistake. Argue all you like but on this I'm spot on.

I agreee that he has performed best when he acts instinctively, ie quick hands.

I have said it before that I believe that he could improve a huge amount if he changed his head position and his focus when he comes to attack the ball. Awareness of opponents and other players is crucial but too much takes focus away from the footy. I really believe it is that simple. Watch his eyes when he attacks a marking contest when there are players around him.

At this time he just hasn't made that jump in intensity to AFL footy. I don't think he is deliberately shirking anything, he just hasn't made the transition in intensity from junior to senior footy.

........................ I just feel jack holds the ball to long, it's like he is looking for a gear, he needs to be more instinctive-That will make his difference

I agree. When he does things instictively (usually a tap on, or quick give by hand) he oozes class. However, when he has a bit more time he seems to be less decisive. Maybe it's a confidence thing, maybe its an experience thing, but lost seconds through hesitation are holding him back atm.

If you get a chance watch the game again, you will notice that most times Jack got near the footy he had 2-3 Sydney players around him. It is hard to be instinctive when you don't have any options. He may love to grab the footy and dish it of but if all you see is Red and White jumpers what do you want him to do. Next time we go to the footy can we look for positives instead of constantly looking at the mistakes. We all have players that no matter what they do we find something they do wrong and continue to high light it. You can't compare him to any player from the past as the game style has changed, gone are the one on one contests, a forward looks up and sees a wall of players taking up space, a CHF even worse you have space behind you but nothing in front and if you get the footy you need to wait for your team mates to get forward and if they aren't working hard all you will see is a wall of players in front of you.

He needs to continue to improve and he will, but he will have good and bad games, he will do things that will show his full potential and he will make mistakes. We just hope the mistakes become less as the year goes on and we see more consistant good footy.

Edited by drdrake

I point blank refuse to make pronouncements - star/not star/average/above average/ champion - on a just turned 20 tall under-developed footballer.

When Hannabal mentioned all those names (Carey, Brereton etc) what did click in my head is the game is so different now to when those guys played. With flooding, zoning and the congestion that now is the norm is football it does make it incredibly hard for any forwards to become champions in the vein of the guys mentioned. So little space to work in and the big forward being double and triple teamed.

Makes me admire the Reiwoldts and Franklins even more.

Another that has missed the point.

Bull. He's spot on. So many posters have said "Oh I'll give him time", then 1 game in to the season are having a crack at him again. People just need to accept that Jack is a different type of player to most, and in the long run once he has DEVELOPED FULLY he will be a massive weapon for us who was well worth the time investment. Who knows what type of he player he could/will be, he was drafted number 1 by a pretty smart list management team at a crucial time for the club, I'm just guessing they know something, maybe that he is going to be a totally unique player, wouldn't we all love that?

Bull. He's spot on. So many posters have said "Oh I'll give him time", then 1 game in to the season are having a crack at him again. People just need to accept that Jack is a different type of player to most, and in the long run once he has DEVELOPED FULLY he will be a massive weapon for us who was well worth the time investment. Who knows what type of he player he could/will be, he was drafted number 1 by a pretty smart list management team at a crucial time for the club, I'm just guessing they know something, maybe that he is going to be a totally unique player, wouldn't we all love that?

Jack isnt a different type to most - he is a tall underdeveloped forward. There have been some stand outs that have made it from a very early age but most of these examples are from the pre flood, pre -zone football where the forward wasn't being double and triple teamed and had some space to work in. The history books are littered with key forwards who have been absolute guns that have taken to 22-23 until they showed their worth. This is the norm.

I'm with you Stuie - I'm keeping my powder dry

Jack isnt a different type to most - he is a tall underdeveloped forward. There have been some stand outs that have made it from a very early age but most of these examples are from the pre flood, pre -zone football where the forward wasn't being double and triple teamed and had some space to work in. The history books are littered with key forwards who have been absolute guns that have taken to 22-23 until they showed their worth. This is the norm.

I'm with you Stuie - I'm keeping my powder dry

Carey, Brereton, Kernahan, Salmon et al had fully developed bodies by the time they were stars in their late 'teens or early 20s. It's not the chronological age that's the key factor here, it's physical development. What you say about different game is true, but there's the physical development factor too.

Another factor is that guys like Lloyd, who wasn't fully developed, was getting hit on leads by some very good delivery. Our delivery to tall forwards is still not good.

It's premature to make any definitive judgments on Jack (or any tall forward for that matter) until his body fully develops and until they start getting reasonable delivery.

FWIW a mate of mine's father in law is a recruiter at the Eagles. He said last week that even taking exposed form into consideration, Jack Watts will be the best player from that draft.

I still can't comprehend how many people, journalists and supporters the worst, were prepared to say that Jack was a four or five year proposition when he was drafted, yet continue to write him off on an almost weekly basis. The kid has serious skills, pace and vision. His physicality is clearly improving despite him still having an undersized body. The impatience is unbelievable.

If you get a chance watch the game again, you will notice that most times Jack got near the footy he had 2-3 Sydney players around him. It is hard to be instinctive when you don't have any options. He may love to grab the footy and dish it of but if all you see is Red and White jumpers what do you want him to do. Next time we go to the footy can we look for positives instead of constantly looking at the mistakes. We all have players that no matter what they do we find something they do wrong and continue to high light it. You can't compare him to any player from the past as the game style has changed, gone are the one on one contests, a forward looks up and sees a wall of players taking up space, a CHF even worse you have space behind you but nothing in front and if you get the footy you need to wait for your team mates to get forward and if they aren't working hard all you will see is a wall of players in front of you.

He needs to continue to improve and he will, but he will have good and bad games, he will do things that will show his full potential and he will make mistakes. We just hope the mistakes become less as the year goes on and we see more consistant good footy.

Yep he did have at least 2 opponents all day. That must be taken into account.

Jeebuz i was soooo hoping he would kick that goal in the last Quarter, that's what jack needs. To Kick a winning Goal.

Then BANG...Look out footy world.

Jack Watts will Rock.

Yep he did have at least 2 opponents all day. That must be taken into account.

Jeebuz i was soooo hoping he would kick that goal in the last Quarter, that's what jack needs. To Kick a winning Goal.

Then BANG...Look out footy world.

Jack Watts will Rock.

Then someone in the forward line had no opponent and sometimes there where two players on their own.

That being the case who where they and how come they did not kick a bag full?

If he is getting two opponents every week then we should be awake and use him as a decoy until the second player drops off.

Or is that too simple?

Edited by old dee

Then someone in the forward line had no opponent and sometimes there where two players on their own.

If he is getting two opponents every week then we should be awake and use him as a decoy until the second player drops off.

Or is that too simple?

That Question deserves another thread OD. I was merely making an observation that a lot of people on here i doubt had taken into account.

Ring Dean Bailey yourself, I can see you are less than impressed with his work.

Edited by why you little

TJWWHBASO - The Jack Watts will he be a star obsession! I watched a replay of the game last night and it was interesting. Reid for the Swans took a good grab and one of the commentators noted how he was slowly improving and how it takes time for the skinny forward types to develop, but that he was getting there. The curse of going number 1 i suppose but wouldn't it be nice for JW to benefit from the same sort of patience and be able develop without the pressure of the TJWWHBASO.

It is also intersting the discussion in this thread about how Watts might fit into modern footy. Players like Kernahan, Carey and Brown may become less influential as the game heads towards the need to have elite level runners, partic if the current 3 interchange and 1 sub rule stays in place as it places even greater emphasis on having endurance runners in the team. The idea of Watts doing some ruck work also isn't that crazy. He took quite a few boundary throw ins on Sunday, including a crucial one in the last 2 mins, right in front of Sydneys goals that he very cleverly hit on an angle away from goal and back over the line. No doubt about it he's got some smarts, something you have or you don't.

Edited by binman

That Question deserves another thread OD. I was merely making an observation that a lot of people on here i doubt had taken into account.

Ring Dean Bailey yourself, I can see you are less than impressed with his work.

You read something in there that I did not intend, still not sure what is was!

I was not having a go at Bailey just making the observation that if he had two opponents most of the day there was someone free most of the day.

Thought I was making a fairly simple observation.

Edited by old dee

You read something in there that I did not intend, still not sure what is was!

I was not having a go at Bailey just making the observation that if he had two opponents most of the day there was someone free most of the day.

Thought I was making a fairly simple observation.

Quite often there was 36 players in one 50 metre arc OD. It was a pressure Game. JW was often double tagged, but that didn't automatically mean we had free men.

Far from it.

And we sure did run and carry up the guts when possible.

Quite often there was 36 players in one 50 metre arc OD. It was a pressure Game. JW was often double tagged, but that didn't automatically mean we had free men.

Far from it.

And we sure did run and carry up the guts when possible.

Yes I know what you are saying I saw it too.

It is part of the game over the last few years that I do not like.

It is a bad look in my opinion.

Think I will give up on this, is just me or has everyone lost their cool tonight.

Must be time for a single malt!

Yes I know what you are saying I saw it too.

It is part of the game over the last few years that I do not like.

It is a bad look in my opinion.

Think I will give up on this, is just me or has everyone lost their cool tonight.

Must be time for a single malt!

Brilliant idea, as i am at work!!!

No hard feelings OD-it is a possession game now, not kick to position.

I sometimes miss the old game, but i absolutely love the Modern Demon Game.

We will get that flag old boy..."Never Fear....Smith is Here"!! B)

I agreee that he has performed best when he acts instinctively, ie quick hands.

I have said it before that I believe that he could improve a huge amount if he changed his head position and his focus when he comes to attack the ball. Awareness of opponents and other players is crucial but too much takes focus away from the footy. I really believe it is that simple. Watch his eyes when he attacks a marking contest when there are players around him.

At this time he just hasn't made that jump in intensity to AFL footy. I don't think he is deliberately shirking anything, he just hasn't made the transition in intensity from junior to senior footy.

I really didn't want to click on this Watts thread, but a rare itch forced a click and before I knew it I was in the time warp. Deja vu. Now I'm here so I may as well put my two bob's worth in. In another Watts thread.

Your last line in this post Dandeeman is simply the opinion I have. He is coming to terms with the intensity and starting to fit in.

Just a little reminder. It is effectively his second season. Just a few days ago he was 19, and he has to his name just 19 games. And one game has been completed this season. One.

I likened a young Watts when drafted to that of a Hird type. Flexible enough to play in different positions including the midfield when required. Not so much the bash and crash KPF that people want him to be.

I suspect Watts still has a great deal of upside to go. Particularly strength. When he learns to be confident within himself, compete and contest frequently within the team. I think that will come so stay tuned.

They still need to play games together. Keep playing them.

Or is that too simple?

It looked to me at times like he was playing as a decoy, leading to draw men away from where the ball would likely go, presumably at the behest of the coaching dept.

Assuming this is correct, supporters who don't recognise this would unfairly criticise him for not getting enough of the footy or leading to the right spots.

anyone hear Dean Bailey on MMM yesterday around 5.30 ??

Brayshaw asked about Watts and he replied he is now 92 kg and should comfortably be 96-7 kilos next year and then we will see a real difference in his ability to contest. For this year though he said he expected watts to start sominating some quarters of football.

This is where Baileys development skills will be put to the sword. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but i cannot see him dominating quarters unless he was left alone. possibly on the ball ?

I also find it hard to believe he is 92 kg when he looks slighter than even the lighter talls in the opposition.

I hope Bailey is right, he sounds confident, but he never looked like dominating on Sunday.

anyone hear Dean Bailey on MMM yesterday around 5.30 ??

Brayshaw asked about Watts and he replied he is now 92 kg and should comfortably be 96-7 kilos next year and then we will see a real difference in his ability to contest. For this year though he said he expected watts to start sominating some quarters of football.

This is where Baileys development skills will be put to the sword. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but i cannot see him dominating quarters unless he was left alone. possibly on the ball ?

I also find it hard to believe he is 92 kg when he looks slighter than even the lighter talls in the opposition.

I hope Bailey is right, he sounds confident, but he never looked like dominating on Sunday.

Perhaps this week!!!!!!!!!!