Lucas Cook

e25

All I know is that my 90 year old grandfather will be stoked that a Mallee boy from Hopetoun is playing for his beloved demons :)

Can someone please put a vid up of his highlights on youtube. The bigpond crap never works for me, nor any of the other links that people post.

Not sure what the AFL are like in getting this stuff removed from youtube, but I've just uploaded this short video for now:

edit: for those who have seen the highlights package on the AFL website, this is a different one.

Edited by E25

Prenders confirmed a recruiter came up to him and told him he was waiting for Cook only a few picks ours.

Cook may not be the 'sexy' pick of the draft, but he was widely rated by recruiters who know their stuff.

I'm happy we got a player who is rated very highly, has a lot of elite attributes (endurance, kicking left and right, handballing, marking, kicking for goal) and fills exactly a need in the team.

As Prendergast said, 'you want the ball in his hands'

Prenders confirmed a recruiter came up to him and told him he was waiting for Cook only a few picks ours.

Cook may not be the 'sexy' pick of the draft, but he was widely rated by recruiters who know their stuff.

I'm happy we got a player who is rated very highly, has a lot of elite attributes (endurance, kicking left and right, handballing, marking, kicking for goal) and fills exactly a need in the team.

A lot of people are claiming this but im not sure he does.

What where looking for is a big lump of a lad who will provide a contest deep in the forward line and also crash packs and take strong pack marks. I no it sounds like a lot but when i watch these clips i take particular notice to pack marks and being strong overhead. Im not having a crack at Cook at all but besides his height he looks to be a player that is a lead up forward like Watts, Pettered, Jurrah, Dunn etc.

Hopefully over the next few pre seasons his body developes and he adds on a big frame and proves me wrong.

All I know is that my 90 year old grandfather will be stoked that a Mallee boy from Hopetoun is playing for his beloved demons :)

Talking about recruits from small towns, my grandma's probably disappointed we didn't pick Jed Lamb, seeing as they're both from Yarram...:)

We'll see Cook in 2012. The rest of the draftees should get games in 2011, especially Howe.

A lot of people are claiming this but im not sure he does.

What where looking for is a big lump of a lad who will provide a contest deep in the forward line and also crash packs and take strong pack marks. I no it sounds like a lot but when i watch these clips i take particular notice to pack marks and being strong overhead. Im not having a crack at Cook at all but besides his height he looks to be a player that is a lead up forward like Watts, Pettered, Jurrah, Dunn etc.

Hopefully over the next few pre seasons his body developes and he adds on a big frame and proves me wrong.

McDonald might be more suited to that type you describe. BP alluded to in an interview after the draft if he grows an extra couple of centimetres he could be that type of player forward/ruck. Is versatile.

Anyone else think he plays a bit like Pavlich?

Pavlich way too quick and hard at it for that comparison.

No, more like Watts.

Watts, likewise, way too quick. Which is not to say Cook isn't good in other ways.

You certainly do. He's a sensational deliverer.

I originally said I compared him a bit to Dunn, which is wrong. Dunn is a dasher, and pace is certainly Cook's weak point.

Is anybody else getting a bit of Jared Rivers with him? Only taller and can kick beautifully?

It's all a question of whether or not you think his pace will hurt him. If they want him to play up around half forward, then yeah, there might be games at Subi where he disappears. But if he's going to lead out of the goal-square and bust packs, then pace isn't as much of a problem. We have our high CHFs in Watts, Bate and Dunn ALL of whom like to get out of the fifty.

I reckon it's about what you expect to get with pick 12. If he was lightning quick in a straight line, he'd have been just behind Day, maybe ahead of Lynch... So I can't be too annoyed. He has a LOT of strengths, and you can't buy that kind of footy brain that reads the ball that well.

Fits in with BP's criteria.

Elite Tank. good-great disposal. Can read the play well.

The above line pretty much sums up all the draftees taken over the past 3 years. Cook fits in perfectly.

I am wondering if the "Elite Tank" pushed Lucas Cook up the list as the new interchange rule will mean more time on the ground for all players.

What i like most about this kid / pick is that he played in a VFL game with the Roosters against men and he performed well. He kicked 3 goals and according to his coach it was his repeat leads that really stood out. In line with a big tank this is key to being a CHF/FF in today's climate. If he and Watts can just keep running their opponents ragged then they will have a field day as soon as their bodies fill out.

We've just got to start pumping it inside 50 to this bloke and his mates a whole lot more in 2011 than we managed in 2010.

What i like most about this kid / pick is that he played in a VFL game with the Roosters against men and he performed well. He kicked 3 goals and according to his coach it was his repeat leads that really stood out.

Yes, amongst all the discussion about how long it's going to take him to get up to AFL speed, this has been a little overlooked IMHO. Only one game, sure, but to come in as a 17 year old (I'm guessing ...) in your first VFL game and kick 3 goals is no mean feat.

I agree that it's going to take him a while to reach his full potential, but if he can get in a decent pre-season, and then repeat those kinds of performances at Casey, perhaps we'll see him sooner rather than later, especially if/when places open up through injuries.

If Lucas' form warrants it, i'd love to see him brought him into the side as soon as possible and used as a tall utility type in much the same way that Morton's been used.

If the recruiter's write ups about him are accurate and he does have good to great endurance, defensive and hand-balling skills as his forwardline abilities, then a utility role may be the best way to get him used to the pace of the elite level before he's Physically able to hold down a key position.

Looking forward to see how these new kids handle their first pre-season- hopefully they all get significant game time in the preseason games.

What about sending him back? I know we need a key forward but wondering if key back is a good place to develop him. Certainly if we had a few injuries down back I'd throw him in there.

I believe that BP drafted him with this capability in mind. Whilst i believe he will be groomed as a forward (as that is the best place to use assets like his massive tank, work rate, disposal) he will at times feature in the defence. However with Frawley, Garland, Warnock, Rivers, Martin (maybe) plus new draftee Davis i don't see any real need to stick him down there at the moment....

Finished top 10 in the draft combine for the 3km time trial and kicking assessment, All-Australian U18 CHF and has already played footy at VFL level with his light frame. As far as I can tell he's an exciting prospect who very much looks to be an integral part of the forward line a few years from now.

And on a side note. Will be interesting to see 5 years down the track how he compares against the likes of Sam Day, Tom Lynch, Aaron Black and John Butcher.

• 1 year later...

And on a side note. Will be interesting to see 5 years down the track how he compares against the likes of Sam Day, Tom Lynch, Aaron Black and John Butcher.

BUMP!

Don't think we need to wait 5 years.

This thread does make for slightly depressing reading. Couple of interesting articles published at the time though

DEES ADD FINAL PIECE OF THE PUZZLE

LUCAS COOK

Thanks for bumping this, Lobster.

It is amazing that things just sometimes don't work out.

Bad pick or bad development?

He certainly had some great accolades early on.

Its pretty bad we never got to see him play a single AFL game.

He had a shocking run of injury which slowed his development down.

Hope for cook he gets a game at his next club.

Lucas was always going to need a few years in the system to get going,

Tall developing players usually get a contract extension after the first two years by default. His attitude must have really stunk.

Guest José Mourinho

Thanks for bumping this, Lobster.

It is amazing that things just sometimes don't work out.

He certainly had some great accolades early on.

Bad pick.

Watching those highlights again, he does look a bit soft and a bit of trier.

Doesn't fill me with confidence.

I think the club at the time probably had its heart set on a KPF in Tom Lynch and were thrown into a tailspin when GC took so many talls early.

We stuck to the plan of getting the best KPP available.

And we got burnt.

Darling also has a wish to move into the midfield in the future, which really doesn't fit in with what need. The Cook over Darling selection makes a lot of sense and BP clearly rated Cook a better fit ahead of guys like Watson and Luke Mitchell (who I liked).

Anyone else think he plays a bit like Pavlich?

lol

Can I point out later in the article how happy North were because they got Shaun Atley who they did rate and has subsequently moved forward. Makes the selectors for that draft look even worse