cooko

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105263/default.aspx

12. MELBOURNE - Daniel Gorringe

Height: 200cm

Weight: 88kg

DOB: 02/06/92

Club: Norwood (SA)

Draft range: 9-14

If Gorringe gets through to 12, the Demons have a bargain. His ability to find teammates with deft tap work is his trademark. He can also go forward. He's played senior footy in the SANFL and you imagine he'll adapt to the AFL quicker than most young ruckmen. Was tipped to be top 10 all year, but the cards have fallen differently.

Would be VERY happy with Gorringe!!

Does anyone know why he was dropped for the SANFL Grand Final?

DAN'S LEARNING CURVE

Says there because he got smashed. Should serve as a good remind that if we do draft him we shouldn't expect much in the first couple of years.

33. MELBOURNE - Ryan Lester

Height: 191cm

Weight: 83kg

DOB: 26/08/92

Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)

Draft range: 30-40

Tall defender who can play up forward or in the midfield. Prides himself on attacking the ball with vigour, and he's strong overhead. Would be welcome in the half-back line at any club.

50. MELBOURNE - Cameron O'Shea

Height: 192cm

Weight: 84kg

DOB: 13/03/92

Club: Eastern Ranges (Vic)

Draft range: 45-65

Tall defender whose performance in the endurance events at the draft combine has swayed the Demons. O'Shea finished second in the three-kilometre trial (10.03) and seventh in the beep test (14.10).

53. MELBOURNE - Jeremy Howe

Weight: 85kg

DOB: 29/06/90

Club: Hobart (Tas)

Draft range: 50-rookie

A year ago, the high-flying forward was playing country footy with Dodges Ferry, outside Hobart. In 2010 the 20-year-old impressed greatly through his aerial feats with Hobart in Tasmania's state league. If he plays in the AFL in 2011, he'll be one of the stories of this draft.

Don't think we would go with 3 talls in a row after drafting Gorringe. Maybe go with one at 33 and another at either of 50/53 but there must be a chance we'll have a small in line for one of those picks.

I'd be very happy with Gorringe. Know nothing about Lester or O'Shea and the Howe guy has a freakish highlights reel (Rusell Robertson v2.0) so how can you say know to that!

I'm not feeling it.

Even if he is there, I don't think we'll select Gorringe.

Nor Darling for that matter.

In my mind, it's Lynch or Heppell if they magically slide, then Jacobs, Smith, Conca or Smedts.

I think we'd be more likely to take Lycett than Gorringe.

Parker or Hallahan at 33 would be gold, I think either of these kids could be the Bastinac of 2011.

Only problem is they wouldn't squeeze into our side atm.

2 x KPPs with 50 & 53 would suit me.

They all seem so even once we get past the elite ones, it is like a lottery.

Some will turn out great, but picking which ones right now is nigh impossible.

I'm not feeling it.

In my mind, it's Lynch or Heppell if they magically slide, then Jacobs, Smith, Conca or Smedts.

Parker or Hallahan at 33 would be gold, I think either of these kids could be the Bastinac of 2011.

Only problem is they wouldn't squeeze into our side atm.

2 x KPPs with 50 & 53 would suit me.

They all seem so even once we get past the elite ones, it is like a lottery.

Some will turn out great, but picking which ones right now is nigh impossible.

Fwiw im in the same boat, im just not feeling it for Gorringe. He is a ruckman and they always took that bit longer to develope and as others have pointed out we have Gawn, Fitzpatrick and Spencer in hand.

I just hope goldcoast take him and hope like hell Lynch or Heppell do slide to us!

can you really see Spence or Fitz being the answer for us down the track? They havent showed that much to get excited about..

At least we can play Gorringe in the ruck or forward (which is perfect with the new interchange rules!)

Bring on the Gorringe!!

Guest Guy Rigoni

I don't understand why everyone is giving us a ruckman as the first pick.

jamar isn't that old, we drafted Fitz and Gawn last year, upgraded Spencer this year and ruckman should be drafted in either the top 4-5 picks or in the rookie draft.

http://www.afl.com.a...63/default.aspx

12. MELBOURNE - Daniel Gorringe

Height: 200cm

Weight: 88kg

DOB: 02/06/92

Club: Norwood (SA)

Draft range: 9-14

If Gorringe gets through to 12, the Demons have a bargain. His ability to find teammates with deft tap work is his trademark. He can also go forward. He's played senior footy in the SANFL and you imagine he'll adapt to the AFL quicker than most young ruckmen. Was tipped to be top 10 all year, but the cards have fallen differently.

Edited by dee-luded

Even the top 4-5 can be hit & miss.

Naitanui (pick 2) isn't what he was cracked up to be (yet), Kosi is... Kosi (pick 2) and Leuenberger is serviceable but hasn't set the world on fire (pick 4).

Kreuzer is the exception to the rule.

I think drafting ruckmen early is a mistake.

Gorringe may be a capable KPF one day, but he is not that now.

He's a ruckman that runs around like a rover.

Yep, sums it up well for me.

I think this guy needs to share some of whatever it is he's been smoking.

Melbourne have two known criteria for selecting players in this draft. Firstly the cliche "best available" and secondly that we need a powerful "stay at home" forward to play from the goalsquare while Watts and Jurrah roam. How do his selections fit into that scenario?

I can perhaps see Gorringe as BA, but in reality the crop available at 12 will be so even that you could pick randomly between half a dozen. That being the case we are more likely to take the one that fits our second criteria if possible and look to take a KPF who lands within that group. Should no KPF of sufficient quality be available, our club have a track record of taking fast skillful midfielders with good tanks. I'd take that bet over a ruck, however impressive he may be.

Our later picks have me equally confused. 2 tallish defenders of debatable quality and a Robertson clone. Once again, they fail to meet any discernible need in our team, can not realistically be claimed to be BA, and do not fit any of the criteria we know the club to be using. Why then would we be looking at them?

I'll be happy to admit to being wrong tomorrow night if we take any of these, but I really think I'm safe on this one.

I really enjoyed Howe's youtube. Could be a bit of a live wire forward. Doesn't fill a specific need, but love exciting players.

I'm definitely not opposed to Gorringe at pick 12. I think he could be best available AND fill a need. If Gold Coast didn't have 4-5 ruckman, Gorringe would probably go pick 7 or 9.

With the new interchange rule, it is very unlikely a team will ever play 2 true ruckman. Gorringe has the ability to go forward and kick goals, which could see him filling a double need- a back up ruckman + a tall forward

Gorringe looks a real class ruckman and could be the man to take over in 3-4 years.

Ive got to admit I never even bothered researching Gorringe as I didn't think he'd be available at 12 and I didn't want another ruckman BUT Ive only just watched his highlights and started reading more about him. I didn't realise how mobile he was and clearly can go forward take a grab and kick a goal (bit of Kreuzer about him). I would be rapt If Lynch and Gorringe were available at 12. I'm confused as to who i want now...

I don't understand why everyone is giving us a ruckman as the first pick.

jamar isn't that old, we drafted Fitz and Gawn last year, upgraded Spencer this year and ruckman should be drafted in either the top 4-5 picks or in the rookie draft.

Agree with you 100% Rigs! Would be quite surprised if we took Gorringe. We have an All Australian ruckman and drafted Gawn and Fitz last year and on top of this the FD is very happy with how Spencer is progressing.

I'm thinking we will go another mid or skillful half back. No inside word but I've got a gut feeling it will be Brodie Smith or Ben Jacobs. Both seem to be the type of player that BP loves and appear ready to go! Would be awesome if an Atley, Caddy or Lynch slid, but unfortunately can't see it happening.

Agree with you 100% Rigs! Would be quite surprised if we took Gorringe. We have an All Australian ruckman and drafted Gawn and Fitz last year and on top of this the FD is very happy with how Spencer is progressing.

I'm thinking we will go another mid or skillful half back. No inside word but I've got a gut feeling it will be Brodie Smith or Ben Jacobs. Both seem to be the type of player that BP loves and appear ready to go! Would be awesome if an Atley, Caddy or Lynch slid, but unfortunately can't see it happening.

Gorringe could potentially fill the role we had bookmarked for Hale from round 1 next year. It's not hard to see why the club might be interested.

I'll be happy to admit to being wrong tomorrow night if we take any of these, but I really think I'm safe on this one.

53. MELBOURNE - Jeremy Howe

Weight: 85kg

DOB: 29/06/90

Club: Hobart (Tas)

Draft range: 50-rookie

A year ago, the high-flying forward was playing country footy with Dodges Ferry, outside Hobart. In 2010 the 20-year-old impressed greatly through his aerial feats with Hobart in Tasmania's state league. If he plays in the AFL in 2011, he'll be one of the stories of this draft.

Ok, so he got one of them right, even if at a different location. I freely admit to being wrong in thinking that he had absolutely no idea.

He's taller than I thought from the highlights.

Good kick. Great mark & judgement.

I just thought he looked like he played too much like Robbo to get a gig in today's game.

Let's hope he knows how to chase & tackle.

Surprised we jumped at 33.

I think we may have felt like someone else was on the scent.