• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Permission to train list

Gouga

Hmmmmm PJ...didn't think he would be rookied but looks like it's a possibility

I wouldn't necessarily assume anything - it could be a courtesy to a player who has given good service to enable him to training at AFL level to maximise his opportunities. Same with Tom McNamara.

That said I do think we need to rookie a mature ruckman as back-up for Jamar and Spencer - if both of them got injured our whole season could be de-railed.

Edited by old55

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more an indication that no other teams are even remotely keen, therefore he has resorted to training with us as we're his only chance.

I'm certain it won't happen, and if it does I will lose a large amount of faith in the FD.

Bios on some of the unknown names:

Corey Buchan

Height: 188cm

Weight: 79kg

DOB: 24/05/92

Club: Dandenong Stingrays

Bio: Medium-sized forward with immense strength and a great mark. Agility and endurance are both above par as well. On debut with the Dandenong Stingrays in May he kicked seven goals.

In his own words

What type of player are you?

I'm a medium-sized forward with a good leap and strong hands. I have pretty good endurance and like presenting up the ground, running my opponent around. For my local club I predominately played a s a midfielder and defender  so I am able to play a variety of roles.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?

Mark LeCras. While not overly tall he is very strong overhead. He can crumb the ball when required and he is good on a lead. He knows where the goals are and is a very good set shot for goal.

What are your strengths as a footballer?

My strengths are my marking as well as my set shots for goal. My ability to find space in the forward line and read the game are also strengths. My skills are good.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?

My strength. I have been working hard on it this year but my body hasn't fully matured yet. Also my tackling. I've been working on it throughout the year and while it's improved there's still room for it to get better.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?

Essendon. My dad barracked for them and he had a big influence on me.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?

My Dad. He has helped me along every step of the way. He doesn't sugar-coat things. He tells me what I need to improve and I listen.

Corey Cassidy

Height: 188cm

Weight: 76kg

DOB: 21/06/92

Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)

Bio: Medium forward with impressive speed and a strong mark. Took 18 marks in eight matches with the Oakleigh Chargers in 2010.

In his own words

Medium tall, mainly forward but can play in various positions. Good mobile lead-up team-first player who gives 100 per cent all the time.

Angus Monfries. A good lead-up player from the forward line who is medium height.

My leading and providing an option and marking. Versatility, being able to play both ends of the game and through the middle.

My fitness, so I can keep working and provide options. Kicking on both feet.

Richmond, through my dad.

Mark Hibbins, who coached me for a year and always pushed me to do a bit more, try a bit harder, Steve Grace, coaching me at the Chargers, who tells me how to improve and what to work on.

Brad Harvey

Height: 185cm

Weight: 83kg

DOB: 16/04/92

Club: Eastern Ranges (Vic)

In his own words

An outside midfielder who can run quickly over the first 20m. I can play inside and win my own ball and I’m a competitor.

Bryce Gibbs - I can play inside and outside and also Ryan Griffen because I can run and take the game on.

My pace and my want to win the contest in-close.

I'd like to take the game on more often, my kicking needs a little improvement and at times my decision making can be a little slow, but it's getting a lot better.

Essendon. My dad followed them and his mum did too. I’ve been a member there for thirteen years.

My dad early in my career because he used to always help me and taught me to kick on my left foot. Now it would be Wayne McCraw who used to be at the Eastern Ranges because he has a great knowledge of the game and tells it like it is not what I want to hear.

Cameron Johnston

Height: 181cm

Weight: 78kg

DOB: 24/02/92

Club: Geelong Falcons (Vic)

Kevin Sheehan says: Quick and versatile player who can play a hit-up forward role or go down back. Very athletic type overall and a long kick.

In his own words

I consider myself to be a fast-running half-forward/midfielder who can kick goals. I can also play in the backline to rebound the ball either by foot or by carrying and drawing with speed. I run, carry and break lines.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?

A few players - Ryan O’Keefe, Andrew McLeod and Brett Ebert. I can play a running half-back like McLeod, as a midfield/half-forward like O’Keefe, or be a hit-up target like Ebert.

My running ability, both pace and long distance, and long kicking. I can run a 2.8 in a 20m sprint and continuously drop punt a ball 60m. My main strength is that I can play in a number of positions.

My game knowledge and set up. I'm also always working on my skills on both sides to be the best player I can possibly be.

Geelong - we live in Geelong and my whole family supports them. My favourite player when I was growing up was Garry Hocking.

My St Joseph's senior coach, Mark Havey. He has helped me in all areas of my game and has given me the opportunity to play key roles at senior level at a young age.

Alex Mcleod

Height: 181cm

Weight: 72kg

DOB: 28/01/92

Club: Calder Cannons (Vic)

Bio: Lightly-built midfielder who has exceptional pace and agility. Played in Calder Cannons' 2010 TAC Cup premiership team.

In his own words

Medium-sized outside player that can also win my own ball. I have very good speed and evasiveness and have very good defensive pressure via chase down tackles and other one percenters.

Danyle Pearce because we have similar body types, good speed and the ability to take opponents on and carry the ball.

My speed, agility, quick hands, defensive pressure and ability below my knees.

My kicking efficiency on both my left and right and not holding onto the ball for too long. Instead of taking on two or three opponents I should take on one then dispose of the ball.

Essendon because I started barracking for them as a kid because of my brother.

John McMillan, my midfield coach at the Calder Cannons. In the last two years he has spent a lot of one on one time with me working on deficiencies in my game and improving my strengths.

I wouldn't necessarily assume anything - it could be a courtesy to a player who has given good service to enable him to training at AFL level to maximise his opportunities. Same with Tom McNamara.

That said I do think we need to rookie a mature ruckman as back-up for Jamar and Spencer - if both of them got injured our whole season could be de-railed.

Yeah I don't believe I was assuming anything. I, like E25 am certain we won't, but I can't see why he would be training with us.

Common courtesy?

To delist him, then deny him the chance to train hard and win a rookie spot would be a bit cold-hearted, even if it is heavily against the odds.

It is a clear indication to me that no one else is interested.

Interesting reading the bios of the players training with us.

2 medium forwards and 3 quick outside midfielders.

Definitely gives an indication of the type of players we are interested in. I would have thought we've got enough medium forwards, but clearly the club really wants to stock up on forward line talent this year, having previously beefed up our defence and midfield.

I wouldn't be surprised to see PJ redrafted, there's no doubt we need 1 mature age ruckman as insurance if Jamar goes down... Giles the best option that I know about

From the AFL site:

"Youngsters Brad Harvey (Eastern Ranges) and Cameron Johnston (Geelong Falcons), who some considered stiff to be overlooked last week, will also begin training with Melbourne in a bid to impress and try to earn a spot on an AFL list."

Could be a nice move if we can get them. But worries me that our first pick is 14ish.

If we take PJ I'll tear up my membership.

Not really, but you get the idea. Rookieing him would be one of the worst decisions we could make.

To those who think we need a back up ruckman, who is Stefan Martin? And why do we have Michael Newton on the rookie list?

Yeah, strange thing for McLeod to say.

Doesn't give me a good feeling.

Why? People have routinely criticised Jones for trying to take on too many opponents. Clearly McLeod is doing the same and recognises that he doesn't have to beat every single midfielder before he disposes of it.

If we take PJ I'll tear up my membership.

you could be disappointed and without a membership for 2011.

i can't understand members who sulk and react the way they do - such as this - when decisions are made in the clubs interests by the club and not the fan. taking a stand against a giant being quite possibly rookied - 'rookied!'

you could be disappointed and without a membership for 2011.

i can't understand members who sulk and react the way they do - such as this - when decisions are made in the clubs interests by the club and not the fan. taking a stand against a giant being quite possibly rookied - 'rookied!'

Did you miss the bit where he said "not really"?

Really good to see a group of young players training with the club, even better to see there are 6 spots available on the rookie list. That's enough to rookie all of them and give either PJ or Tommy Mac another chance.

Having so many picks will make for a very interesting rookie draft, unlike last year.

Really good to see a group of young players training with the club, even better to see there are 6 spots available on the rookie list. That's enough to rookie all of them and give either PJ or Tommy Mac another chance.

Having so many picks will make for a very interesting rookie draft, unlike last year.

Agree.

Why? People have routinely criticised Jones for trying to take on too many opponents. Clearly McLeod is doing the same and recognises that he doesn't have to beat every single midfielder before he disposes of it.

Heard of take the first option?

The player I like is Brad Harvey. I'm going purely on reports here but it's interesting that he tested well for pace at the Draft Combine but it's said he needs to work on his endurance. The same thing was said of a young bloke from Adelaide a few years back who also missed out on being drafted in the national draft. Danyle Peirce ended up being rookied by Port Adelaide in what was a really inspired choice. Apparently spent time working at Eastern Ranges with Paul Wheatley which wouldn't hurt his prospects of ending up at the club.

I'm a little surprised PJ is on the list, but - as has been mentioned - we have plenty of rookie spots up for grabs.

In the absence of a mature ruckman to provide back-up for Jamar he might not be a terrible stop-gap if we were to get into dire straits.

New Permission to Train List (23/11/2010):

Adelaide - Ian Callinan (Central Districts)

Brisbane Lions – Albert Proud (Brisbane Lions), Broc McCauley (Brisbane Lions)

Carlton – Rhys O'Keeffe (Carlton)

Collingwood – Paul Cribbin (County Kildare, Ireland)

Essendon – Chris Molitor (West Adelaide), Jay Neagle (Essendon), Tyson Slattery (Essendon)

Fremantle - John Anthony (Collingwood), Ben Bucovaz (Fremantle), Justin Monaco (East Fremantle), Brock O'Brien (Fremantle), Tim Ruffles (Fremantle)

Geelong - nil

Gold Coast - Nathan Ablett (Geelong Cats / Broadbeach), Jake Crawford (Pamona), Joel Tippett (Brisbane Lions / Southport)

Hawthorn – Cameron Bruce (Melbourne), Travis Tuck (Hawthorn)

Melbourne – Corey Buchan (Dandenong Stingrays), Corey Cassidy (Oakleigh Chargers), Brad Harvey (Eastern Ranges), Paul Johnson (Melbourne), Cameron Johnston (Geelong Falcons), Alex McLeod (Calder Cannons), Tom McNamara (Melbourne)

North Melbourne – Matthew O’Dwyer (Sydney Swans)

Port Adelaide - Matthew Westhoff (Port Adelaide), Nathan Daniel (Port Adelaide), Tom Jonas (Port Adelaide), Nick Liddle (South Adelaide)

Richmond – Jayke Barrack (Coburg), Ben Clifton (Coburg), Andy Duhau (Coburg), Brendan Fewster (Coburg), Ben Jakobi (Coburg), Tom Hislop (Richmond), Bachar Houli (Essendon), Justin Kahlefedt (Coburg), Tom Lucin (Coburg), Brad Miller (Melbourne)

St Kilda – nil

Sydney – Eugene Krueger (East Coast Eagles), Garry Moss (Hawthorn)

West Coast - Tim Houlihan (West Coast), Blayne Wilson (Peel Thunder)

Western Bulldogs – Ed Barlow (Sydney Swans), Mitch Hahn (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Hughes (Melbourne)

It's interesting that PJ is training with us again. The word I heard today from someone closely connected with the club is that they are looking to rookie him for next year

Backward step IMO even when it's a rookie draft pick. The idea of the rookie draft was originally conceived as a way to encourage young players coming up through the pathway to AFL football. Now, it's being used to recycle old faces. If we're going to give a player a second chance I'd prefer it to be someone in the 22 - 23 year range like Port Adelaide Magpies Jonathan Giles. If it works out he has a future at the club.