Newton down back

DeeZee

Apparently Juice shone with his display in defense yesterday.

This may free up a Garland or Warnock to be that marking goal square option for us?

Spencer played alright too and kicked a nice 50 metre goal on the run.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may free up a Garland or Warnock to be that marking goal square option for us?

Spencer also kicked 2 against Ess in a meaningless pre-season match but cameos such as this give hope that he will blossom when he comes on.

Can you really see Newton performing that role in a match of any significance? I can't.

Spencer also kicked 2 against Ess in a meaningless pre-season match but cameos such as this give hope that he will blossom when he comes on.

Can you really see Newton performing that role in a match of any significance? I can't.

He may not be taking that pack mark or kicking that crunch goal for us up forward, but sometimes when a player goes down back he gains confidence and might just put his physical attributes to good use.

Edited by DeeZee

Rule # (I don't know, let's say)6 of DLand

Posters who take meaningful things out of exhibition games may be, and are encouraged to be, ridiculed for said argument.

Thems the rules...

You gotta develop em somewhere, preseason /practise games are a good way at looking at players and trying them in different postions.

Im not saying he is a world beater all of a sudden, just give him a preseason down back and judge at the end of it.

Please, please, lets not start a "revive juice newton" movement

6 excruciating years was painful enough

are dees supporters born masochists?

Has he ever even been tried down back?

I think it is a lot harder to be a successful forward than to be a successful back. Newton is talented, no doubt, but he isn't quite skillful and committed enough to be a good AFL forward. Tarrant was the same (although Newton holds nothing up to Tarrant, let's be honest). If he can perform and act as another solid player down back, then I'm all for it. If Carroll and Warnock can get games down there, surely Newton can.

This thread does bring back memories of Hardeman and Smith. Both were held out as being special forwards for the Dees, but never quite lived up to expectations -- until they were moved to defence (Centre Half Back & Full Back respectively), where they became two of the best defenders ever to wear the red & blue.

But, Newton...?? The faithful can but dream.

So Warnock couldn't crack a game down back for a good part of the season last year, and Cheney was traded due to defensive surplus, and yet you think Michael Newton is going to earn a game down there?

The last thing we need is more defenders. We may keep him on our list for insurance purposes, but his time to become a solid AFL player has come and gone. It still absolutely blows me away that he earns himself countless threads on here.

So Warnock couldn't crack a game down back for a good part of the season last year, and Cheney was traded due to defensive surplus, and yet you think Michael Newton is going to earn a game down there?

The last thing we need is more defenders. We may keep him on our list for insurance purposes, but his time to become a solid AFL player has come and gone. It still absolutely blows me away that he earns himself countless threads on here.

surely his comment is fair when the bloke has just been given a pat on the back for his work in defense in our last game of footy!

Seriously, are we trying to win a flag or run a player benevolent fund

If Newton was able to double his performances he would only be a C grade player or depth. Whats the point, surely 6 years is a more than reasonable amount of time to assess a player. Its time to try some new promising talent. Its called list management.

This is not to knock Juice, I'm sure he's a nice guy and tries his best, but he's had his chance and he doesn't fit into any premiership plans. Time to move on, the clock is running down and there's no place for misguided sentimentality or inglorious phantasising

Seriously, are we trying to win a flag or run a player benevolent fund

If Newton was able to double his performances he would only be a C grade player or depth. Whats the point, surely 6 years is a more than reasonable amount of time to assess a player. Its time to try some new promising talent. Its called list management.

This is not to knock Juice, I'm sure he's a nice guy and tries his best, but he's had his chance and he doesn't fit into any premiership plans. Time to move on, the clock is running down and there's no place for misguided sentimentality or inglorious phantasising

I assume when you put 'doesn't fit into any premiership plans'you checked this out with Footy Dept, who knows what their plan is, and it can't just be ensuring we have the best 22 available each week....

I'd try him down back. Since he's going to be around for at least another season then give him a chance. Stranger things have happened. Who would ever have thought that Chris Tarrant would turn out to be a soild backman.

I'd try him down back. Since he's going to be around for at least another season then give him a chance. Stranger things have happened. Who would ever have thought that Chris Tarrant would turn out to be a soild backman.

Who would you replace him with then ?

Who would you replace him with then ?

Well, Warnock seems out of favour. At the least it might razz up Warnock. Might make a good spare parts man. If lose a tall down back, there are not many options.

Edited by america de cali

Hopefully we will have enough players where every single player is under pressure to play well week in week out to keep their spot, the only defender I can see at the moment who may not be pressured is Frawley, but I am sure even he will have to lift another notch....if Newton works and can pressure the likes of Garland, Rivers etc to perform....I say go for it...to win a premiership we need at least 30-35 in form, fully fit players

That wasn't a real football match- there were no points on offer, it was a 16 man a team field- VFL kings would have shown something. Didn't Brisbane have a guy from their finance department in the team?

I assume when you put 'doesn't fit into any premiership plans'you checked this out with Footy Dept, who knows what their plan is, and it can't just be ensuring we have the best 22 available each week....

You Newton fan-boys are dreaming . . . . . but its a free world, so dream-on

I won't argue the finer points or I'll get accused on player bashing

I can tell you right now that Newton is not apart of their 'premiership plans.'

How do I know?

They delisted him last year and picked him up as a rookie to honour the last year of his contract.

It's hardly a ringing endorsement of the bloke's footballing ability.

Edited by rpfc

Having never been a fan of Newted I doubt switching to our backline will help. However I rate our FD to make good decisions so let's hope they know something we don't. Newton back, Garland Forward. Still can't see it.

Guest Redleg_24

Geeez... I have had a 3 month holiday thx to RR and I come back and this is what I read? Newton..the saviour of the defence. A defence that is amongst the best young defence's in the league and people think this spud is going to make it better? OMG, I have missed something... Can we delist him already. He is a hack/ Who cares what he has done in a game that counts for Nutz in China, in front of 8,000 people who couldn't give a stuff. I have seen aenough of this bloke. No heart. Move On!!!!!

Having never been a fan of Newted I doubt switching to our backline will help. However I rate our FD to make good decisions so let's hope they know something we don't. Newton back, Garland Forward. Still can't see it.

My sentiments exactly, we may have kept him for a reason, we are hard nosed enough to pay out a contract these days to free up a spot, who knows....but I am sure the FD do, they have hardly put a foot wrong in 3 years, so if Newton is retained it is because the FD want him, so hopefully that will stop the bleating on this board by the footy pundits

Well, Warnock seems out of favour. At the least it might razz up Warnock. Might make a good spare parts man. If lose a tall down back, there are not many options.

I meant who will he replace in the current starting 22 ? Warnock has been in the Casey side (ie.depth). I'll make it easier.

Who of:

Jack Grimes

Colin Garland

James Frawley

Clint Bartram

Jared Rivers

Cameron Bruce

....would Michael Newton replace ?