Cameron Bruce (ouch)

GRUN DEE

Deeluded would hate this deal from a Brisbane POV.

Shiit, I just saw this post & had to trace it back to understand what it was.

I actually think thats a good deal for both. Brisbane have started their rebuild with a fast track, it seems, after last years mature recruits. Maybe they are doing the right thing, just seems backwards in taking mature key players first, before the kids, & maybe it's a change from the office down.

Either way they seem have traded some players out, but I haven't kept up with their picks traded in. But I gather they must have some good picks to use.

GC Suns have still maintained a pick in the top 10, up with the elitist U-18's...

Brennan was a flashy player,,, But , just how effective????????

• 1 month later...

I know you'll all roll your eyes at seeing this name come up again so I won't harp.

Quick question, if Bruce is signed by the Hawks (who have a strict 1 yr policy over 30 e.g. Crawford) what gives?

Who bends over? Does Bruce take one year with them or do the Hawks offer two?

I know you'll all roll your eyes at seeing this name come up again so I won't harp.

Quick question, if Bruce is signed by the Hawks (who have a strict 1 yr policy over 30 e.g. Crawford) what gives?

Who bends over? Does Bruce take one year with them or do the Hawks offer two?

I've been thinking the Bruce thing over and I'm coming to the conclusion he's doing a Stan Alves/Greg Wells.

I think he wants a tilt at a flag before he retires and sees Hawks as a better window

I don't think money is the real issue, although it always helps. Cam has a share in a successful business, has made a sheetload and by all accounts hasn't squandered his fortunes.

Contract term is a part issue, though at either Melb or Haw his chances of a renewal for 2012 will depend on 2011 form with maybe the Hawks prepared to quantify what is reqd in 2011 and Melb will only agree to discuss at EOY.

Just my 2c worth

I've been thinking the Bruce thing over and I'm coming to the conclusion he's doing a Stan Alves/Greg Wells.

I think he wants a tilt at a flag before he retires and sees Hawks as a better window

I don't think money is the real issue, although it always helps. Cam has a share in a successful business, has made a sheetload and by all accounts hasn't squandered his fortunes.

Contract term is a part issue, though at either Melb or Haw his chances of a renewal for 2012 will depend on 2011 form with maybe the Hawks prepared to quantify what is reqd in 2011 and Melb will only agree to discuss at EOY.

Just my 2c worth

Given the strange ironies of other possible reasons this one alone doesnt come unstuck due to grandstanding or play acting the high moral ground. Bruce has never been shy of pushing his own barrow ( and in all reality fair enough, just dont try calling mutton lamb there Cam !! )

Not that I could really care what he does this does seem to be logical.

Funny...he'll have probably backed the wrong horse here.

Just my 2c worth

I do and I don't agree.

To some extent.

Maybe.

He has a better chance of being in the side when it contends for a premiership with Hawthorn.

I don't think their premiership chances are any better than ours.

Maybe even less so.

But I think he just realized his time in the best 22 at Melbourne was quickly coming to an end, and his chances of prolonging his career and earning power, were much better elsewhere.

I do and I don't agree.

To some extent.

Maybe.

He has a better chance of being in the side when it contends for a premiership with Hawthorn.

I don't think their premiership chances are any better than ours.

Maybe even less so.

But I think he just realized his time in the best 22 at Melbourne was quickly coming to an end, and his chances of prolonging his career and earning power, were much better elsewhere.

I don't know.

I'm one of the few who still subscribe to the thought that Hawthorn can be a force and genuine flag contender if the arrogance of the last two seasons is replaced with the realisation that nothing else will deliver them that flag than hard work. I believe their list is still very good and if they have a reasonable run with injuries i think they are closer to winning a flag in the next two years than Melbourne...

Bruce is getting a one year deal with an option clause.

He will have to meet certain kpi's to get a second year deal (this won't be asking much)

It will be as simple as play 8 games and you get a guaranteed contract.

It's a very NBA way of handling player contracts that we will see alot in the future, team options/player options, accepting/declining.

Be assured folks, Bruce is basically getting a 2 year deal, at Melbourne he was offered no option and was told no matter how many games he played the FD would decide on next year, next year.

I met Cam Bruce and Kyle Cheney at Christchurch airport last monday morning. I waited until they had checked in then went up to them, introduced myself as a Melbourne supporter and wished them good luck. Both were very gracious, especially Cam. Probably a bit shocked that someone recognised them. Although Travis Tuck's smararse comment wasn't really appreciated very much. Nearly shot back a smartarse comment of my own

One thing I will say though, is if the way that the Hawthorn Football Club dress and act at a foreign airport is anything to go by they aren't going to win much. Poorly dressed (most wearing thongs for an international flight!), and just didn't look like a professional bunch. If that was a visiting schoolboy rugby team, you would have been horrified. Wouldn't have picked them as professionals at all. Just looked like a bunch of guys on a end of year [censored] trip

I met Cam Bruce and Kyle Cheney at Christchurch airport last monday morning. I waited until they had checked in then went up to them, introduced myself as a Melbourne supporter and wished them good luck. Both were very gracious, especially Cam. Probably a bit shocked that someone recognised them. Although Travis Tuck's smararse comment wasn't really appreciated very much. Nearly shot back a smartarse comment of my own

One thing I will say though, is if the way that the Hawthorn Football Club dress and act at a foreign airport is anything to go by they aren't going to win much. Poorly dressed (most wearing thongs for an international flight!), and just didn't look like a professional bunch. If that was a visiting schoolboy rugby team, you would have been horrified. Wouldn't have picked them as professionals at all. Just looked like a bunch of guys on a end of year [censored] trip

Thongs on an international flight ?!

What's the world coming to.... ... .. . ... ... .. ..

One thing I will say though, is if the way that the Hawthorn Football Club dress and act at a foreign airport is anything to go by they aren't going to win much. Poorly dressed (most wearing thongs for an international flight!), and just didn't look like a professional bunch.

I'm surprised they were let on the flight.

Bruce is getting a one year deal with an option clause.

He will have to meet certain kpi's to get a second year deal (this won't be asking much)

It will be as simple as play 8 games and you get a guaranteed contract.

It's a very NBA way of handling player contracts that we will see alot in the future, team options/player options, accepting/declining.

Be assured folks, Bruce is basically getting a 2 year deal, at Melbourne he was offered no option and was told no matter how many games he played the FD would decide on next year, next year.

This is all true, but I don't think it is a deciding issue

The offer on top of that to maybe win a flag is the icing on the cake

Swap Haw with NM or Ess or Syd or Rich or Bri or...... would the option clause be enough. I doubt it

just another 2c worth

Consider most international airports make you remove your shoes on entry to the departure lounge, I'd have thought thongs were a wise choice.

I don't think the way a team dresses when in transit is any indication whatsoever of how they will perform, NPR of their professionalism.

Those ideals are archaic.

he will look so smart in that hawthorn jumper....regrets i've had a few.....

Ah, but too few to mention!

That poos 'n' wees jumper should suit like a 3 piece ensemble'.

I hope he goes well, but we'll give him something to go on with.

Edited by dee-luded

That poos 'n' wees jumper should suit like a 3 piece enseble'.

Interesting interview this afternoon with the Ox & Cameron, if there is a podcast on the SEN page i recommend a listen.

That poos 'n' wees jumper should suit like a 3 piece enseble'.

Am tempted to suggest he's shown his true colours !!

damn i just did :rolleyes:

Interesting interview this afternoon with the Ox & Cameron, if there is a podcast on the SEN page i recommend a listen.

I have listened to the podcast of the interview. I have held Bruce in high esteem, through dark periods of the MFC history he held his head above water while others floundered. The impressions from the interview provide me with the feeling of an individual whose own self importance has been put ahead of the team.

He says that contract wasn't a sticking point then says he didn't feel he was in MFC future direction.

I don't know what land of future he's dreamin but clearly chicken nixon has been in his ear and told him he's the next Robert Harvey. While Bruce has been durable he was only ever good in a bad team and average in a good team.

He's been overpaid and his status in the MFC has been disproportionate to that of league which happens in poor sides.

He will last a maximum 2 seasons at the Hawks and instead of finishing his career at the club that gave him his opportunity he'll be known as a leech who rode the dollars in the poor times and when put under scrutiny decided join the poos and wees.

He had an opportunity to plant the seeds in side rebuilding from the bottom to develop and impart a legacy.

There is now no Bruce legacy just a footnote of a good durable contributor in a bad team.

Hrmm

Worried that he wasn't guaranteed a long-term future at the Dees but understands it's a year-to-year proposition.

I know! I saw that.

He always seemed incredibly self-involved and arrogant but only the truely narcissistic can give one reason for leaving a club and then immediately give an incongruent reason for going to another club.

Guys got NPD.

Anyway, shame.

We move on.

GRIMES!!