Bell Delisted

Dee Fan

Just heard that Daniel Bell has been delisted, not sure where the info came from but my son sent me a text. I guess that it was expected they would go but maybe we should have at least tried the trade route.

Just found it on the MFC Board

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/100992/default.aspx

Edited by RobbieF

Just tweeted by the club

MELBOURNE forward Brad Miller and defender Daniel Bell will not be offered new contracts by the club, and will finish up with the Demons at season’s end.

The 27-year-old Miller is now considering his future direction.

“I’m really appreciative of the opportunities I’ve received at the Melbourne Football Club, and I understand the direction the club is taking,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

“I’ll consider all options at this stage.”

But Bell, 25, is now looking to pursue his AFL career with another club.

“I’d like to thank the Melbourne Football Club for the seven years I’ve spent here. I leave here with no regrets and understand the decision, and the direction the club is taking,” he said.

“I will be nominating for the National Draft and hope to continue my football career at another AFL club.”

Coach Dean Bailey praised the contribution Miller and Bell had made at Melbourne.

“I’d like to thank Brad and Daniel for their time at the club. They have been great Clubman and provided great service,” he said.

“They will always be highly valued members of the Melbourne Football Club and we wish them well for the future.

Miller has played 133 matches for the Demons since he was selected at No. 55 in the 2001 AFL Draft.

He came to the club after captaining Queensland in the AFL under 18 championships in 2001.

In 2008, Miller topped Melbourne’s goalkicking with 26 majors. He has booted 89 goals, with his five-goal performance against Port Adelaide in Darwin this year a career-best.

One of his finest matches for the Demons was the 2006 semi-final against Fremantle, when he was the team’s standout with 19 disposals and 14 marks.

Bell was claimed in the 2002 AFL Draft, after Melbourne acquired selection No.14 from Collingwood via the trade period. In exchange, the Demons gave up Shane Woewodin to the Magpies.

Originally from Glenelg, Bell has played 66 matches for the Demons since debuting in 2004, but has not played a match this year. Injuries have hindered him along the way.

His finest game was arguably against Adelaide in round 10, 2007, when he collected three Brownlow votes.

No surprise.

Been a bit of a favourite of mine for a while and I held high hopes for him. Was as brave as anyone on the field and always gave his all, but sadly lacked the talents to become a regular contributor in the side.

Had one cracking season which ended when that [censored] Ben Johnson nearly broke his neck.

Good luck to him. Really hope he gets his chance elsewhere.

On a side note, I'm a bit worried that they've announced Bell and Miller are gone, but we are yet to hear anything about PJ, Newton, Meesen etc... they must be thinking long and hard about these guys demon_blink.gif

dare I...ding dong the bell tolls. Good luck Belly

I suppose both decisions were inevitable but I would have thought the announcements could have waited till after the VFL finals. The suggestion that these players might not make themselves available for the Casey Scorpions during their final series is pretty disturbing since you don't hear about this problem elsewhere in the competition.

I know that there have been some insurance issues in past years but surely these should have been ironed out by now?

It's simply an indictment on the club and a slap in the face of our alignment partner and those who support their games that they can't field their strongest possible team in the finals.

Both Brad and Daniel have qualified to play for Casey in the finals and it will be a blow for our alignment if they don't take part.

I wish both players well for the future - it wouldn't surprise to see both of them snapped up by other clubs.

Guest watts04

Bell has been an average player and good servant.

Won't get a gig elsewhere tho, body not up to it and after watchin a few vfl games he has lost a yard of pace

Best wishes but these are the hard facts

Glad the club is being ruthless

A big thanks to both players for the service they've given the club.

Both tried their utmost to get the best out of themselves, especially Brad Miller who would have to be one of the hardest trainers in the league.

I wish them the best of lucky and will be more than happy to see Belly running round at another club. A very good bloke.

For me there's always a touch of sadness when players who have been great servants of our Club are told that they are no longer part of the future, and in Belly's case, there's an extra tinge because he was so close to the late Broady.

I watched Bell give Adelaide's Scott Welsh an absolute bath on the MCG in 2007 when he got 3 Brownlow votes. I thought then he was really coming of age.

Unfortunately didn't continue, and Johnson's hit didn't help. Thanks for the games Belly.

I watched Bell give Adelaide's Scott Welsh an absolute bath on the MCG in 2007 when he got 3 Brownlow votes. I thought then he was really coming of age.

Unfortunately didn't continue, and Johnson's hit didn't help. Thanks for the games Belly.

The best game from a defender I've ever seen in my time supporting the club.

i think PJ might be safe for next year for insurance with Jamar while Gawn and Fitz develop

unsure about Martin but he is contracted

IMO with Spencer, Martin, Gawn & Fitzy on the list, + Newton as a Follower/Forward, I reckon PJ is gone. I just can't see how the young ones would get the opportunities @ Casey or the Dees to ply their skills.

IMO Newton will compete with Martin for the same type roles, as Spencer develops, IF, Spencer's kept on.

I suppose both decisions were inevitable but I would have thought the announcements could have waited till after the VFL finals. The suggestion that these players might not make themselves available for the Casey Scorpions during their final series is pretty disturbing since you don't hear about this problem elsewhere in the competition.

I know that there have been some insurance issues in past years but surely these should have been ironed out by now?

It's simply an indictment on the club and a slap in the face of our alignment partner and those who support their games that they can't field their strongest possible team in the finals.

Both Brad and Daniel have qualified to play for Casey in the finals and it will be a blow for our alignment if they don't take part.

I wish both players well for the future - it wouldn't surprise to see both of them snapped up by other clubs.

Perhaps its more a case of them playing seniors this week and giving them a swansong. Surely also the knowledge they are delisted will allow them a chance to be watched by clubs during the VFL finals with them being on the market. Might not necessarily affect anyone negatively, though I concede it your scenarios could be right and that would be disappointing.

Bell & Miller should play finals, it would be in their best interests to do so.Surely, insurance would not be an issue as Collingwood played many AFL listed players last year & Noth Ballarat likewise. It is also in our club(MFC)best interest to get these players to play. Their experience would really help the younger ones in the final series of the VFL. I just hope sense prevails.Both are dedicated footballers. Best of luck to both of them.

Edited by jayceebee31

I always rated Bell, and was amazed how many time he would put his body in the line of fire, and how hard at the contest he was.

In the end, it may have been his downfall with the number of injuries he has had since being with us.

All the best Belly.......I loved watching you play, and the commitment you made to the MFC.

Would love to see another club take a punt on him!

I was disturbed when I read in the Age this morning that Miller would not be part of the Scorpions finals team. How can that be. After having put in for the team for practically the whole year and not be part of a possible grand final. If the Club has decided that I think it just stinks. I for one would hope that the Club is not so mean spirited and short sighted that it would not include one of the better forwards of the VFL in the finals campaign. I know, we all know that he is not part of the Club's future but allow him to play. I would have thought that a successful finals campaign would be more important to the MFC/Casey Scorpions ongoing relationship and despite Miller's not being seen as good enough to be an AFL player he has as all would agree had a great year as forward spearhead at the Scorpions.

Of course all this means nothing if it was Miller's choice not to play. If that is the case, well he can take his petulance somewhere else.

I am also concerned that could this mean that they maybe giving Newton ANOTHER CHANCE. Oh please NOOOOOOOO

i think it might have something to do with giving kids finals experience (even though its VFL finals). IMHO its a bit much, why not just play the guy, its one player out of 22.

agree though, it seems the casey coach let the cat out of the bag early, not a good look (although no one has cottoned on in the tv media... yet).

as for belly, thanks mate best of luck.

miller, total respect, you sure got the most out of yourself and wont die wondering.

hopefully another club picks these two up, i think that millar would be a great fit for the GC in the first few years as he will be able to show those kids how to train properly. (bad for us, good for him)