• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Nathan Jones

melbournefc18

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beamer was never going to play. Injured his thigh at Training on Thursday.

Jones wasn't dropped. Ducks and drakes.

So true. Yet managed to bring out the true colours in some supporters on this site... didn't it.

I think people barrack for different things.

I barrack for the players as much as for the guernsey, or the club. So I find it difficult to be frank about shortcomings of certain players. I have hated reading this thread, as I think Jonesy is a gutsy and improving young player who will be an important part of our future. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't say it; I'd just say nothing. I wish others would do the same.

True. But 'at best', Paul Johnson could win a brownlow. Problem is that best is seen once in a blue moon.

I was talking about a general trend, and as a skill, Jones' kicking isn't very good. I think my point was clear.

Yeah, I wasn't on a headhunting mission there. Sorry to sound like it if I was. I just reckon the phrases "general trend," and "at best/at worst" mean completely different things.

But yes, I didn't miss your point. Disagree with it? Yes. Miss it? no.

The true colurs ? Hmm..

The general understanding within this thread was not to bag Jonesy but to simply observe and suggest there are some li

itationscwithin his game (which is pretty good for the main ) His game this weekend was good, very good but he did have a bit of space. He won't get that from the more seasoned (hardened) Hawks. Decisions/disposals will be punished if late or erratic . Jones will need his A game, hope he brings it as I do like ( always have) his preparedness to take a game on. He's not stellar but can be very contributive. He can't ever rest now as there are others coming up that will challenge ... That's pretty much it

Like.. Dig myself a hole, build a pool, float around in the sunshine and watch Jones vie for B.O.G.

Yeah, that'd be nice..

Would moloney get into geelongs midfield atm? In fact, geelong didnt rate him enough to be apart of their team, yes?

Would James-mac get into Geelongs or Brissies prem midfield?

Would Bruce, Davey, Slyvia?

Its a dumb question. Take out, according to you, those that wouldnt make the cats or brissies prem midfields and only davey and slyvia (arguably) are left..

Moloney, Bruce and MacDonald wouldn't. Sylvia and Davey would. So ?

I bring up Jones, because by the time we're a genuine challenger I don't believe he'll be best 22. And if he is I doubt we'll have a good enough midfielder to win a flag. I expect players like Gysberts, Tapscott and Blease to be in the side over the next year and someone has to make way. We need to get better. We need better players than Jones.

I'm more than happy to keep him, btw, but expect to see him in and out over the coming years.

DemonDan, another massive fail for you.

Youve NEVER, not once, added anything of intellect to a conversation. Just like your latest post.

I stuck up for Jones before the game on sunday.. he comes out, plays a blinder, gets near BOG -

and you come out AFTER the game and tell me i failed?

This level of dumbness is rarely seen.. but in no way a surprise.

GOLD!

More like Fools gold-

both times he went to ground dragging '4 opponents on his back' on the weekend, he got free kicks.. both times.

Moloney, Bruce and MacDonald wouldn't. Sylvia and Davey would. So ?

So - we still want to field 18 players, yeah?

Youve just discounted nearly all of the midfield!

Sly, dAv, (and sculls, trenny, gys, tappy, bleasme who MIGHT become 'Geelong worthy') -Thats 7 mids.

So tell me -

Who are your other 5 or 6 players genuinely capable of running thru the midfield (and can play other roles, such as resting on a flank, goalsneak) to make up the 12 - 13 you need in your side each week to become successful?

Do you plan to clone?

Your expectations of the list the dees could realistically build is almost delusional.

Did a bloody good job today.

One of our best.

Who will make way for Moloney next week if he is up to it??

Id probably say benny at this stage.. (but Bails has been a bit quiet, PJ is hanging on by the skin of his nutz thanks to a jamar setback and aussie needs to step up a level..)

But bennys been quiet for a few quiet weeks recently AND we'll need hard basterds at the ball to get over the hawks, something that he is not.. yet.

Put molly on a h-f-flank to get back up to the speed of the game, swapping with jonesy in bursts to go on-ball.

Depends on how the hawks line up too i suppose.. but that might be 1 viable plan.

Youve NEVER, not once, added anything of intellect to a conversation. Just like your latest post.

I stuck up for Jones before the game on sunday.. he comes out, plays a blinder, gets near BOG -

and you come out AFTER the game and tell me i failed?

This level of dumbness is rarely seen.. but in no way a surprise.

More like Fools gold-

both times he went to ground dragging '4 opponents on his back' on the weekend, he got free kicks.. both times.

So - we still want to field 18 players, yeah?

Youve just discounted nearly all of the midfield!

Sly, dAv, (and sculls, trenny, gys, tappy, bleasme who MIGHT become 'Geelong worthy') -Thats 7 mids.

So tell me -

Who are your other 5 or 6 players genuinely capable of running thru the midfield (and can play other roles, such as resting on a flank, goalsneak) to make up the 12 - 13 you need in your side each week to become successful?

Your expectations of the list the dees could realistically build is almost delusional.

I've discounted most of the midfield right now because to not do so would be patently stupid. I discounted most of the midfield right now because most wouldn't get regular games at a bench mark club like Geelong. Clearly we're not a premiership threat right now. Clearly we're building a list with flags as the clear goal. Clearly I believe that to ultimately win a flag we'll need to be represented by better midfielders than Jones. Clearly we may not win a flag, but we need to aspire too. Clearly Jones would get a game at lots of clubs, but lots of clubs don't win flags. I didn't advocate getting rid of him, just that I see him becoming a depth player in the not too distant future.

Moloney is border line good enough to play in a premiership, but I put him ahead of Jones. Grimes will gravitate to the midfield in time, or at least take turns in there. Morton is a 193/194cm utility that will rotate through the middle/wing. I rate Bail highly and ahead of Jones moving forward. McKenzie needs to improve, but he's come a long way in a short time. Will he become better than Jones ? Too early to tell.

There's enough depth capable of running through the middle, but to win a flag we need to unearth some stars. We need Scully, Trengove, and Watts to become stars. We won't win any flag unless some players develop in to all time greats of the game and the MFC. They were recruited to be stars and I think they can be.

As for being delusional ? If you don't believe that we can build a premiership list then I don't know what you're doing here. And if you do believe that we can build a premiership list then why would you say that I'm being delusional ? Perhaps you can quote the delusional aspects of my posts for me ? Thanks.

Put molly on a h-f-flank to get back up to the speed of the game, swapping with jonesy in bursts to go on-ball.

Depends on how the hawks line up too i suppose.. but that might be 1 viable plan.

This is my concern about Moloney - he can only play midfield at this stage. No reason why he couldn't be a sensational HBF, but at the moment he doesn't have another position.

The day will come when both of them will be superseded as our A-grade mids. Jones has added another string to his bow as a very good tagger of dangerous smalls, and could also play as a hard-at-it HFF or maybe even BP or HBF if required.

But as things stand, we don't know what Beamer would be like as HBF, or anywhere other than midfield. This means that if he's fit this week, he either plays a large amount of game time in midfield, or he goes to Casey. It would be good if there was a reliable third option for Beamer, and in years to come he's going to need another option.

I've discounted most of the midfield right now because to not do so would be patently stupid.

Moloney is border line good enough to play in a premiership, but I put him ahead of Jones. Grimes will gravitate to the midfield in time, or at least take turns in there. Morton is a 193/194cm utility that will rotate through the middle/wing. I rate Bail highly and ahead of Jones moving forward.

There's enough depth capable of running through the middle, but to win a flag we need to unearth some stars.

As for being delusional ? If you don't believe that we can build a premiership list then I don't know what you're doing here. Perhaps you can quote the delusional aspects of my posts for me ? Thanks.

I just dont get your reasoning - where in the next couple of years are we going to magically unearth another half dozen 'geelong worthy' mids to replace 'most of the midfield' youve discounted, in the 1st comment?

..AND get them up to speed so they dont miss the scully, trenny, slyvia, watts "wave" coming thru now? Its unrealistic.

We already have a premiership team - think about how many rd 1 draft picks we have.. a footy prorgram counted-i think it was 14 a few weeks back! What more do you want?

Grimes, i didnt originally mention because i love the versatiliity he gives our backline and imo thats where he'll stay - sure he'll run physically thru the midfield, it will be from half-back, again imo.

The thought of him and frawley Both able to play on talls and smalls from in the backline could really give us an edge that would be the envy of other teams. (garland too!)

-Morton and bail- you cant suddenly add them to your list, theyre not 'geelong worthy' as you put it.. youre changing your own rules!

"Theres enough depth capable of running thru the midfield" - So you agree with me all of a sudden, or youve contradicted yourself majorly?

One second youve "discounted the majority of the midfield", the next second "theres enough depth" there?? How does that make sense?

Arent these 'depth of players' your talking about the very same ones you argued and 'discounted' throughout the thread?? Or is there another dees team i dont know about?

I believe that we can build a premiership list H. Why? Because weve already done it. The list is there. No need to build anymore. Thats the point.

Its delusional to think we can have 12-13 elite/A grade mids, all 'geelong worthy' in the team at the same time within a premiership window.. as you would like to see.

There WILL be some b-grade 'James mcdonald, moloney, NATH JONES' hardnuts, that make up for there shortcomings with A-grade hardness and intensity..

(Lingy, corey enright, james kelly - a few examples from the geelong midfield that you speak of - who arguably may not be generally seen as a-grade - but still so important to their success)

Look at the filth v cats sat nite- nowhere near as good a midfield as the hardened cats - but a better game plan, better forwardline movement, gelled better as a team & shouldve won by 10 goals.. & they only have Swan and Didak as a-grade mids.

I obviously have FAITH in what weve achieved/built in the last couple years (and how weve grown so much, in such a short space of time this year) - maybe you need to find some?

The list is already its there H - there wont be that many more significant changes between now and our next prem.. the changes have been made, now we just need to grow..

..and Jones - at just 22 years old! - theres no reason why he cant push up into that a-grade class, he has improved steadily over the last few years - theres so much upside.

He's still 2-3 years behind Molly and Slyvia - if you give him as much time as slyvia to develop, then right now he would be well ahead of where sly (tho, we know he had injuries) was at the same time in his career..

..and last match, Jones at-84% disposal efficiency and just 1 clanger versus Slyvias 75% (i think it was) and 8 clangers on the weekend - is a pretty good start..

Again, have some faith! ..dont place so much emphasis on having a dozen elite midfielders-it just wont happen. A dozen or so capable 'A & B-grade' mids-with a few of those a-graders 'elite' (Sly, scully, trenny?) will more than suffice and im confident, when the above happens, it will mark a period of the MFC having THE BEST team of mids EVER assembled on an MFC list.

This is my concern about Moloney - he can only play midfield at this stage. No reason why he couldn't be a sensational HBF, but at the moment he doesn't have another position.

Actually imo, mollys sometimes errant disposal (usually by foot) and poor decision esp under pressure - makes me think he wouldnt be so suited to a defensive role..

He doesnt have that 'dash' that some of our h-b-flankers do either. Benny, Barty and even Frawls all probably quicker.

Hes a long kick, can kick a goal, and maybe his trademark hardness and midfield pressure would translate better in the forward zone, helping wonna and Lj keep the ball in and around our 50?

Or maybe Bails might say, **** it - throw him straight back in the centre to beat up on (legally) as many big hawk bodies as you can before you tire?

Id personally give the former a go 1st.

BTW - Apologies for the long posts to those not interested, Im actually on 'work holidays' atm and this is how i relax.. unsure.gif

demon_biggrin.gif

I just dont get your reasoning

I have different classifications for midfelders. I look at the very best teams, premiership teams, as having 5 premium midfielders and up to a dozen that rotate through the midfield at some stage. Geelong have had Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Corey and Chapman. I see Bail as a rotating mid not unlike Wojinski at Geelong, who plays off half back, but regularly pushes through the middle. Jones isn't good enough to be an engine room mid, i.e. he won't be a top 5 premiership premium mid. Unlike you and some others, I don't think that he has the versatility, or tricks to play in other positions terribly well. Someone like Bail can have a stint in the middle due to his great pace, hardness and penetrating kicking, yet he can also play half forward or half back. He's also a really good mark for his size. He has variety that Jones doesn't. Morton, Gysberts, Tapscott, Blease have variety that Jones doesn't.

The key ingredient is getting 5 premium mids, a sound support group that has versatility, a great defence and an array of quality goal kickers. I believe that the talent is predominantly already on the list, just not yet in the mode of development that it needs to be. I don't see Jones as an integral part of that mixture down the track, more as depth.

Jones is a boom or bust mid in that if he's not one of your starting on-ballers he's half way out the door. For me, he's really no good anywhere else. You start trying to create a position for him such as a tagger. It doesn't work for me.

I hope this better clarifies my views. It's not as simple as "would he get a game with Geelong ?". It's as much to do with structure.

Morton, Gysberts, Tapscott, Blease have variety that Jones doesn't.

I'm fairly critical of Jones myself, but come on! Gysberts has polayed a handfull of AFL games & Tapscott & Blease are yet to make their debut....hardly proven AFL players....

A few years ago when Jones first made the side he was very promising and frankly one of our berometers - if jones was having a good day we'd be having a pretty good day. I agree that we all wish he was a superstar now, but just becasue he's got a big body doesnt mean he has reached his potential. On current form i dont really mind if he gets a game every week, but i think if he can impove on a few things here and there he'll be a major part of the midfield in the coming years. With the improvement Dunn & Barty have shown i'd be hesitant to write of any of the guys on our list!

I have different classifications for midfelders. I look at the very best teams, premiership teams, as having 5 premium midfielders and up to a dozen that rotate through the midfield at some stage. Geelong have had Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Corey and Chapman. I see Bail as a rotating mid not unlike Wojinski at Geelong, who plays off half back, but regularly pushes through the middle. Jones isn't good enough to be an engine room mid, i.e. he won't be a top 5 premiership premium mid. Unlike you and some others, I don't think that he has the versatility, or tricks to play in other positions terribly well. Someone like Bail can have a stint in the middle due to his great pace, hardness and penetrating kicking, yet he can also play half forward or half back. He's also a really good mark for his size. He has variety that Jones doesn't. Morton, Gysberts, Tapscott, Blease have variety that Jones doesn't.

The key ingredient is getting 5 premium mids, a sound support group that has versatility, a great defence and an array of quality goal kickers. I believe that the talent is predominantly already on the list, just not yet in the mode of development that it needs to be. I don't see Jones as an integral part of that mixture down the track, more as depth.

Jones is a boom or bust mid in that if he's not one of your starting on-ballers he's half way out the door. For me, he's really no good anywhere else. You start trying to create a position for him such as a tagger. It doesn't work for me.

I hope this better clarifies my views. It's not as simple as "would he get a game with Geelong ?". It's as much to do with structure.

Nathan Jones will be the very essence of our next premiership contending team......this is based on the 20% year upon year improvement he has made since drafted. He will peak in 2 possibly 3 years, and I relish the prospect. You heard it here.

With the improvement Dunn & Barty have shown i'd be hesitant to write of any of the guys on our list!

I wouldn't write off anybody either.

But in the long run 35 or so into 22 just doesn't go. Some players currently in the side will, in the long run, be 'superseded' by better players who come along or develop. You simply can't set a "best 22" now and expect that that list will just mature, without changes, into a premiership team in 2013.

My feeling (and it's only a feeling) is that Jones, as much as he is hard and tries hard, still has some limitations and is not a certainty to be best 22 in a couple of years time as other players (for example, some of the ones Hannabal mentioned) grow in skill, toughness and experience. I even have the same feeling about Moloney in the long run.

However, I hope I'm wrong on both counts (and that goes for every player aspiring to be part of a premiership team).

I wouldn't write off anybody either.

But in the long run 35 or so into 22 just doesn't go. Some players currently in the side will, in the long run, be 'superseded' by better players who come along or develop. You simply can't set a "best 22" now and expect that that list will just mature, without changes, into a premiership team in 2013.

My feeling (and it's only a feeling) is that Jones, as much as he is hard and tries hard, still has some limitations and is not a certainty to be best 22 in a couple of years time as other players (for example, some of the ones Hannabal mentioned) grow in skill, toughness and experience. I even have the same feeling about Moloney in the long run.

However, I hope I'm wrong on both counts (and that goes for every player aspiring to be part of a premiership team).

I keep reading these 'damning with faint praise'comments like 'he is hard and tries hard', and I wonder if you REALLY watch the game. Jones foot-passing is, with Aaron Davey, easily the best in the club, and both-footed. That this comes from hard won ball, having made the right decision, and frequently spearing inside 50 makes it even more impressive. He has basically eradicated his tendency to attract 'holding the ball' decisions, and has added excellent vision to his decision making. His only fault is his contested marking, but even now he is not being outmarked, thus bringing the ball to ground. Based on his vast skill improvement in every other level, there is absolutely no reason to think he won't improve here either, based on his age.....22/23. Yes, he is a hard worker, yes, he is a great club man, but MOST importantly he IMPROVES consistently, which is mighty high on my list.

I keep reading these 'damning with faint praise'comments like 'he is hard and tries hard', and I wonder if you REALLY watch the game. Jones foot-passing is, with Aaron Davey, easily the best in the club, and both-footed. That this comes from hard won ball, having made the right decision, and frequently spearing inside 50 makes it even more impressive. He has basically eradicated his tendency to attract 'holding the ball' decisions, and has added excellent vision to his decision making. His only fault is his contested marking, but even now he is not being outmarked, thus bringing the ball to ground. Based on his vast skill improvement in every other level, there is absolutely no reason to think he won't improve here either, based on his age.....22/23. Yes, he is a hard worker, yes, he is a great club man, but MOST importantly he IMPROVES consistently, which is mighty high on my list.

Your assessment might be a tad "rosy" in spots, but I agree with the gist of your argument

Jonesy does a lot of hard work, sets a great example, plays with real passion, and, as you point out is still young and improving

He might never become a Buckley or Hird but I see him as a key player in a future flag

People need to get off his back and look at his positives

Your assessment might be a tad "rosy" in spots, but I agree with the gist of your argument

Jonesy does a lot of hard work, sets a great example, plays with real passion, and, as you point out is still young and improving

He might never become a Buckley or Hird but I see him as a key player in a future flag

People need to get off his back and look at his positives

In honesty, daisycutter, which bits are 'rosy'? Instinct is a very reliable thing, and my instinct now when Jones gets the ball, is that something good's gonna happen. Wasn't always the case. Likewise Davey, Sylvia(mostly), Green, Moloney and Frawley. The longer he goes on, the more he reminds me of Stephen Tingay (just without the off-season steroids!)

I'm fairly critical of Jones myself, but come on! Gysberts has polayed a handfull of AFL games & Tapscott & Blease are yet to make their debut....hardly proven AFL players....

A few years ago when Jones first made the side he was very promising and frankly one of our berometers - if jones was having a good day we'd be having a pretty good day. I agree that we all wish he was a superstar now, but just becasue he's got a big body doesnt mean he has reached his potential. On current form i dont really mind if he gets a game every week, but i think if he can impove on a few things here and there he'll be a major part of the midfield in the coming years. With the improvement Dunn & Barty have shown i'd be hesitant to write of any of the guys on our list!

A couple of things.

I said that Gysberts, Tapscott and Blease have more variety than Jones as footballers. Yes, it does predispose that I believe they'll become very good AFL players, but I'll back my judgment and the club's that they will. You don't need to see a player run out in 50 league games to know the type of player they'll be. Most knew that Scully and Trengove would be guns before they'd played a game. Gysberts is a very smart footballer and at his size adds versatility. He can play inside or out. I've seen Blease play at junior level and have seen him live at Casey seconds and I reckon he'll become a really good AFL player. He's a great kick, nice size and has elite pace. I haven't seen as much of Tapscott, even though I saw him play juniors, but he's a superb kick and can play midfield, half forward, or half back. Automatically they have more strings to their bow than Jones. Now whether they ultimately make it, or not, in no way changes their player characteristcs, which was the essence of my point. For me, a rotating midfielder of premiership quality, even if he isn't premium quality, needs to be able to play well in other areas of the ground.

Jones will play 150+ games of AFL football. He'll have a good career. But that doesn't mean he'll be pivotal in a premiership team. And with his limitations a club on the horizon of a premiership will need better premium midfielders. I analyse not what he brings to the table now, but his worth when we're a serious challenger. As we develop, when Jones isn't on the ball he'll be on the bench. Now that may be OK on some occasions, but it will always put him on the fringe of selection.

If the stars and moon align Jones may well play in a premiership side, as clubs usually have 26, or so, players to choose from when running into the finals, so it's up to him to keep himself relevant. I know he'll give his all. It may not be enough.

If the stars and moon align Jones may well play in a premiership side, as clubs usually have 26, or so, players to choose from when running into the finals, so it's up to him to keep himself relevant. I know he'll give his all. It may not be enough.

One thing about Nathan Jones is, like Cam Bruce, he plays every week - that improves his chances.

In honesty, daisycutter, which bits are 'rosy'? Instinct is a very reliable thing, and my instinct now when Jones gets the ball, is that something good's gonna happen. Wasn't always the case. Likewise Davey, Sylvia(mostly), Green, Moloney and Frawley. The longer he goes on, the more he reminds me of Stephen Tingay (just without the off-season steroids!)

Jones foot-passing is, with Aaron Davey, easily the best in the club, and both-footed.

He has basically eradicated his tendency to attract 'holding the ball' decisions

and has added excellent vision to his decision making

His only fault is his contested marking

his vast skill improvement in every other level

there is absolutely no reason to think he won't

Well, you did ask

See above in bold. That is a tad "gilding the lily" or "rosy". Yes he has improved in these areas, but has room for more

But, lets not quibble over superlatives, bottom lne is Jonesy doesn't get enough credit from some here

We already have a premiership team - think about how many rd 1 draft picks we have.. a footy prorgram counted-i think it was 14 a few weeks back! What more do you want?

I believe that we can build a premiership list H. Why? Because weve already done it. The list is there. No need to build anymore. Thats the point.

I obviously have FAITH in what weve achieved/built in the last couple years (and how weve grown so much, in such a short space of time this year) - maybe you need to find some?

.....there wont be that many more significant changes between now and our next prem.. the changes have been made, now we just need to grow..

If you think our list is ok now to go ahead in seek of a Premiership and there is no need for further recruiting. You're sadly mistaken. Every year there is a draft and every year players are delisted. There needs to be turnover.

How do you know there will be no significant changes to our midfield (stocks) ?

What about Jack Viney ? My understanding he would be a pretty significant addition. Add to that the likes of Blease, Gysberts, Tapscott and the the whole make-up and dimensions of the midfield may change; and may for the better.

Our midfield is not yet complete, we've only really just begun. Yes we've got to grow, but we're not quite near where we want to be. What you see now is the 2010 edition. Midfield make-ups arguably change yearly.

With regard to Nathan Jones, I'm not writing him off, how could anyone at present ? Although he is limited in his characteristics as a footballer whereas other younger alternatives offer somewhat more expansive attributes that can be utilised. Players such as Blease, Gysberts & Tapscott that will need games. And those frothing at the prospect of J.Viney will also tell you that he will need games. Some players will need to make way for these types in the future - and anyone else that may be drafted. Jones might well become a player that might find himself near the fringe (it may even be arguable that he now is) - but part of that group of say 30 players that may or may not be needed or called upon to represent Melbournefc in pursuit of a flag.

If you think our list is ok now to go ahead in seek of a Premiership and there is no need for further recruiting. You're sadly mistaken. Every year there is a draft and every year players are delisted. There needs to be turnover.

How do you know there will be no significant changes to our midfield (stocks) ?

What about Jack Viney ? My understanding he would be a pretty significant addition. Add to that the likes of Blease, Gysberts, Tapscott and the the whole make-up and dimensions of the midfield may change; and may for the better.

Our midfield is not yet complete, we've only really just begun. Yes we've got to grow, but we're not quite near where we want to be. What you see now is the 2010 edition. Midfield make-ups arguably change yearly.

With regard to Nathan Jones, I'm not writing him off, how could anyone at present ?

Although he is limited in his characteristics as a footballer whereas other younger alternatives offer somewhat more expansive attributes that can be utilised. Players such as Blease, Gysberts & Tapscott that will need games. And those frothing at the prospect of J.Viney will also tell you that he will need games. Some players will need to make way for these types in the future - and anyone else that may be drafted. Jones might well become a player that might find himself near the fringe (it may even be arguable that he now is) - but part of that group of say 30 players that may or may not be needed or called upon to represent Melbournefc in pursuit of a flag.

They are not all going to make it either no matter we think of their 'potential'. Because it will depend on how hard they want to work and drive themselves to improve. The rates of failure among AFL players are legendary. Our capability of turning good players into elite players isn't flash altho I think we have a very good chance of getting a couple of marquee players out of this bunch.

BTW - Apologies for the long posts to those not interested, Im actually on 'work holidays' atm and this is how i relax.. unsure.gif

demon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to the darks side. :D

based on the 20% year upon year improvement he has made since drafted. He will peak in 2 possibly 3 years,

That's my feeling. And even if we're wrong, which very well could be the case, you HAVE to give a player who works as hard as he does, never misses a game and has shown improvement, albeit only steady, every chance. You just have to.

Jones will play 150+ games of AFL football.

I would put my house (if I had one) on the fact he'll play 200+. I reckon he'll play 250.

Who's glass half empty now? ;)

Just having some fun. As always you make good points. At the end of the day we can see what he is as a player. What he's going to be, no-one can say to a certainty. It's all crystal ball gazing, whichever way you look at it. He's going to be interesting name in a few years when the stakes are MUCH higher, and the pressure for spots is immense. And in that respect, your original point that his dropping is a good thing, is probably shown as being absolutely right.