Negative Reaction to the Win

Guest DeesPower

your kidding if you thought watts beat his opponent for the entire match, to which im not expecting him to, he had a good first quarter then fell out of the game a bit and kicked a goal with a soft free kick

hannebery 25 disposals vs scullys 14, and scully ran with mcveigh for fair portions of the game, including one play where he turned it over by foot then mcveigh had a set shot 10 seconds later, scully may need a rest as he looks to be tapering off a bit which is not unexpected

morton was ok, but goodes won hands down, and rhino i never said morton was disgraced by goodes so where did that come from? goodes just got the better on the day

and syvlia was close to bog

i still stick by saying that only 1 of those won their battle, if they broke even, it still isnt beating their opponent

Edited by Jonesy!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And Cam Bruce

Not Bruce. He went pick 64 in the main draft. Although he is listed as having been drafted from the Melbourne Reserves. Odd that. Even odder is that our first pick in that draft was Brad Green at 19 and we traded for that pick. Why didn't we have a first round pick that year? We certainly didn't trade it away.

I don't know what game you were watching, but Morton was clearly beaten by Goodes.

I don't know what game you were watching, but two junk-time goals does not mean that Goodes "clearly beat" Morton. He was the winner, though. Too bad his team lost. But on the "tanking" issue, opposition supporters seem to think it's fun to watch your team be a laughing-stock for years. I'd never choose to go through what we've all been through in the past few seasons. But there are benefits, and we're going to experience them soon, and while we do, some other team is always going to finish last - biding it's time until it's a powerhouse once more. I think Elton John sang a song about this once.

In addition to what Rhino said, you don't think Watts got the points over his opponent?

Poor post.

Only Morton came close to breaking even with his opponent on the day.

i dont get what your saying there champ.. to say that only morton came close to beating his opponent, yet you called it a poor post for suggesting that i didnt think watts won his battle.. which side you taking?

by stating morton only came close to breaking even, what about sylvia? no good?

Edited by Jonesy!!!

Guest The Boss

I don't know what game you were watching, but two junk-time goals does not mean that Goodes "clearly beat" Morton.

So are you saying Goodes beat Morton, because Morton slacked off because the Demons had a comfortable lead? I don't care if we are winning by 100 points, or losing by 100 points, but I expect every player to be giving 100% effort until the final siren. If Morton is not prepared to do that, he should not be playing.

Even odder is that our first pick in that draft was Brad Green at 19 and we traded for that pick. Why didn't we have a first round pick that year? We certainly didn't trade it away.

That was the year we lost it for salary cap infringements. We still did very well with our draft despite the penalty.

i dont get what your saying there champ.. to say that only morton came close to beating his opponent, yet you called it a poor post for suggesting that i didnt think watts won his battle.. which side you taking?

by stating morton only came close to breaking even, what about sylvia? no good?

It's not rocket surgery.

Morton was the only player that came close to breaking even.

Unfortunately he went the other side of an even result, but against a 2-time brownlow medallist, it's still a respectable result.

The swans didn't have any other winners on the day, bar maybe Hanneberry.

Scully did play on him for a while, but I didn't regard Scully's performance as a loss in any way, shape or form.

In today's AFL mids don't have a single direct opponent, unless it is a tagging/negating job like Morton performed.

Edited by E25

The very concept of "beating your opponent" is obsolete save for isolated contests.

Edit: mainly in reference to mids

Edited by E25

Goodes beat Morton in numerous 'one on ones' and clearly beat him on the day. It's one thing to support your own, but another to distort the truth.

The more they complain the stronger I feel as it's fear that drives their emotions.

I look forward to hearing more and more whinging. I seek it, I crave it, I grow with it.

You are one sick puppy

Hey there Bub :) !!!

What I should have said was those feral interstaters who support those interstate clubs !! :rolleyes::) lol .. Hi there Queen !! Lol

It is interesting to read the reactions of other supporters to the Demons amazing win on Sunday on opposition forums. The first thing to say it HAS been noticed. Not only by Swans supporters, but by a number of other teams as well. Secondly, it is not always positive. The swans blogs almost universally blamed the umpires (we apparently had 25 players), but a more universal comment is one that we will get continuously over the next decade ie we cheated. We apparently tanked three years in a row "and the AFL should do something about it". It reminds me when I was a boy in our heyday when opposition supporters always complained about our "home ground advantage" ie playing the finals at the MCG.

The more successful we become over the next decade, and it will be another golden era, this accusation will become louder and louder.

Stiff cheese I say, but it will be annoying nevertheless....

i know where u r coming from deespower but hey at least they will all be talking about us cause we will be kicking their butts!! i actually cant wait...

I think the best argument in a few years will be to point at Gold Coast and GWS and the concessions they received but couldn't capitalise on (assuming neither win a premiership in their first 5 years in the comp which I think its likely)

Otherwise the old adage should suffice "a championship team will also beat a team of champions" Exhibit A Carlton, Exhibit B Geelong in the late 1980s an early 1990s? Stars and draft picks is only one part of the premiership equation.

Best win since 2004 against Carlton i would say-I want More!!!!

And i do not give a shite what other supporters say-Let's give some back. 30 years ago at school i copped it for following Melbourne-Revenge is best served Cold.

To be honest, I thought this thread was going to be about the overinflated expectations of our own supporters following such a good performance.

This is the type of win that leads to coaches getting sacked 12 months later because the team has fallen short of that effort ever since.

To be honest, I thought this thread was going to be about the overinflated expectations of our own supporters following such a good performance.

This is the type of win that leads to coaches getting sacked 12 months later because the team has fallen short of that effort ever since.

Yeah fair comment. I remember people starting making ridiculous predictions after we beat the lions in round 5 about us making top 4 this year! I also remember Melbourne getting postive wraps in the Media a few years back and then getting thumped the following week (Port Adelaide thrashing us by 70 odd in 2004 or 2005 after we'd had a great run rings a bell)

Not Bruce. He went pick 64 in the main draft. Although he is listed as having been drafted from the Melbourne Reserves. Odd that. Even odder is that our first pick in that draft was Brad Green at 19 and we traded for that pick. Why didn't we have a first round pick that year? We certainly didn't trade it away.

Not to sure if you know, but melbourne reserves although ran by melbourne were a different entity its like us drafting alex silvagni or someone from a vfl side with a non rookie pick

Guest DeesPower

your kidding if you thought watts beat his opponent for the entire match, to which im not expecting him to, he had a good first quarter then fell out of the game a bit and kicked a goal with a soft free kick

hannebery 25 disposals vs scullys 14, and scully ran with mcveigh for fair portions of the game, including one play where he turned it over by foot then mcveigh had a set shot 10 seconds later, scully may need a rest as he looks to be tapering off a bit which is not unexpected

morton was ok, but goodes won hands down, and rhino i never said morton was disgraced by goodes so where did that come from? goodes just got the better on the day

and syvlia was close to bog

i still stick by saying that only 1 of those won their battle, if they broke even, it still isnt beating their opponent

Well we did win by 73 points so someone must hve beaten someone somewhere!

Guest DeesPower

As i seem to remember it (and i amy be wrong - remember the draft wasn't anywhere near as developed then as it is now) that Bruce was recruited from the MHSOB amateur side onto the Rookie list (and therefore the reserves), and then subsequently drafted at 64. In any case, he was a very late draft pick, and one of our best ever in my opinion, in spite of what some may say on here.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Anyone who would begrudge us this win can get stuffed.

I don't care. I don't listen to them when they bag my team and I don't listen to them when they praise it. All I care about is how I think we are going.

As i seem to remember it (and i amy be wrong - remember the draft wasn't anywhere near as developed then as it is now) that Bruce was recruited from the MHSOB amateur side onto the Rookie list (and therefore the reserves), and then subsequently drafted at 64. In any case, he was a very late draft pick, and one of our best ever in my opinion, in spite of what some may say on here.

1999 was a good vintage

Pick 19 - Brad Green

Pick 20 - Paul Wheatley

Pick 50 - Matthew Whelan

Pick 64 - Cameron Bruce

All footballers were 10+ year players at the Club.

Michael Clark was the only poor pick at pick 42 (traded for Mathew Bishop)

We lost our 1st round pick to salary cap penalties. :(

The very concept of "beating your opponent" is obsolete save for isolated contests.

Edit: mainly in reference to mids

Most often these days your right, but did you notice how both teams seemed to man up, 'man on man', all day.

A nice rarity.

And space to operate in, forward.

Sam Blease at pick 17.

Tom Scully at pick 1.

Grand total of our priority picks for 5 wins, 3 wins and 4 wins over three seasons.

Times gone by (I.e. exactly the year before we hit our slump) that run would have been worth... let's see... pick 1, pick 1, and... pick 1.

I must confess, I would actually be embarrassed if our club had, say, Kruezer and Gibbs running around out there as well.

But maybe I'd just recall the hundred times I've heard this joke, and not worry anymore -

"Did you here the AFL are thinking of intoducing a relegation system? Melbourne gets dropped to a lower level. That's it."