Jack Fitzpatrick

beelzebub

If you scroll through you will see posts about whether he will make it and that his kicking will hold him back. I know there may be keenness in seeing how he goes but there is so little evidence to base judgement particularly for a guy who is young tall raw, physically underdeveloped and has missed alot of football.

Heaven knows what sort of analysis will go into Gawn's first game in the VFL 2nds! :blink:

I have read the posts and there are opinions on "will be interested to see how he goes" in the main and some of which do mention his kicking. Which you have now identified having elaborated a bit more than your original remark.

I'd say (guessing) this would be about the fourth or fifth thread on JF since drafted, of which I have highlighted my judgement of JF in the past with such evidence supporting his kicking issue pre-draft. He is indeed undoubtedly raw and comments may seem premature to you - but it is also supported in comments made by Connolly in the past and even Schwab of which are evident in another post in this very thread. These past comments by people such as Connolly highlight the need to work on this aspect; naturally. As he had to at the Western Jets. Jack himself has admitted as much in an interview, including his hurdle with chronic fatigue syndrome, of which I have posted previously. He spoke of the confusion and frustration of having been given varying tips from different coaches regarding his kicking technique.

So there is good reason and verification for the judgement of JF, even at this early stage, no matter how premature from your perspective. And btw, you are wrong re: "Uninformed."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Connolly was a guest on TAC Future Stars before the Collingwood drawn game. Talked about Scully,Trengove,Grimes and Gysberts saying nothing more than we already knew ie According to Graeme Yates, Scully is the most focussed player he has ever seen or played with.

As the interview was winding up he told Hutchy, Sheehan and Dixon to remember the name Jack Fitzpatick. He said that he will be a great Melbourne player. He also quickly made the comment that there are a number of other players yet to debut. No names mentioned. He really did highlight Fitzpatrick ahead of any other player.

Chris Connolly was a guest on TAC Future Stars before the Collingwood drawn game. Talked about Scully,Trengove,Grimes and Gysberts saying nothing more than we already knew ie According to Graeme Yates, Scully is the most focussed player he has ever seen or played with.

As the interview was winding up he told Hutchy, Sheehan and Dixon to remember the name Jack Fitzpatick. He said that he will be a great Melbourne player. He also quickly made the comment that there are a number of other players yet to debut. No names mentioned. He really did highlight Fitzpatrick ahead of any other player.

In Connolly's defence, he didn't say he "will be a great Melbourne player", he said Fitzpatrick "will be one player to watch out for" and to "keep an eye on him" after highlighting him to Kevin Sheehan.

I have mentioned a few times that I'm a really big wrap for Fitzpatrick. Only seen him on a handful of occassions, he's very raw and needs some work but potentially could become a very good player IMO.

He could definatly become that missing link Melbourne are looking for as a 2nd ruckman who plays forward.

As I said obviously a long way to go for Fitzpatrick but I look forward to potentially seeing him play a few games next year, especially if Martin's progress continues to stall.

In Connolly's defence, he didn't say he "will be a great Melbourne player", he said Fitzpatrick "will be one player to watch out for" and to "keep an eye on him" after highlighting him to Kevin Sheehan.

Before I wrote this I looked at the IQ replay. He said "Great Melbourne player". Of course what he really meant was probably what you said. CC does have a tendency to colorize his language.

Pretty sure he was drafted with the intention of a key position forward that could pinch hit in the ruck. Similar to Justin Koschitzke....

Hopefully Koschitzke, with a lot more awareness!!!!!!!

And a bit taller than Justin as well I believe.

I have mentioned a few times that I'm a really big wrap for Fitzpatrick. Only seen him on a handful of occassions, he's very raw and needs some work but potentially could become a very good player IMO.

He could definatly become that missing link Melbourne are looking for as a 2nd ruckman who plays forward.

As I said obviously a long way to go for Fitzpatrick but I look forward to potentially seeing him play a few games next year, especially if Martin's progress continues to stall.

The missing tall forward / ruckman that we had all hoped, in vain, that PJ may become.

Martin needs to be returned to defence where his ability to read the game and his athleticism held him in good stead. Martin's main problem arose after he was sent forward in 2009 on a few occasions and kicked a few goals, and when he had to pinch hit in the ruck - then the match committee thought that he may be a forward and / or a ruckman. IMO he could give Warnock a huge run for his money as a tall athletic aware defender.

If you scroll through you will see posts about whether he will make it and that his kicking will hold him back. I know there may be keenness in seeing how he goes but there is so little evidence to base judgement particularly for a guy who is young tall raw, physically underdeveloped and has missed alot of football.

Heaven knows what sort of analysis will go into Gawn's first game in the VFL 2nds! :blink:

I clearly said I was a doubter of Fitzy, so will take the brunt of your comments RR.

To clarify myself; every year when a new player enters the MFC list, I have a first impression of them, and generally that impression is what I have of them until I see them playing. This impression is generally backed up by quality youtube viewing, watching the under 18 champs, or just what I think of their name/height/weight etc. I do i tevery year, and for every player, and I'm pretty sure WE ALL do the same to some degree. Sadly for Jack (and no disrespect to him), he didn't make a good first impression on me (based on nothing at all). What he did however, was make a good impression on Barry P, and good on him for that. My opinion about a player means no more or no less than anyone else on this site!

Not saying this to you RR, but some people are a bit precious about what other people think.

Has the great demon love in stopped!!!

For two years we have been indulging in some of the most free spirited dreaming, flags coming out of our ears, love letters to every Jack, Jack, Jack and Jack ...etc. before during and after drafts. It was fun and indulgent but why not. We pick up every thread of info we can on the u 16 Jack and salivate.

So why not for this Jack. Bailey says we need one more solid tall marking forward. Connolly says watch for the name of Jack Fitz (when he didn't need to say a thing. Personally having sifted through every bit of video footage I could find on the talls in last years draft to see who I thought would be a gem, I saw Fitzpatrick as one of the top few. At his height (many of the really good ones were about 195) I figured he would be really good. I was even hopeful they would even take him as early as pick 11. I was furious with our preoccupation with smalls in the first 4 picks until releived we got Gawn and Fitz. Just as our club was surprised to get him at 50, I was. I live over the road from an ex AFL player now coaching in the under 18 comp ( sorry no names ) and he was a big wrap for him (qualified by health CFS). He is potentially as good as any of our picks over the past few years, give or take a bit.

Every player has some weaknesses as well as strengths but a tall marking forward with his size and strength is as hard to find as hens teeth.

I started a thread on him earlier in the year saying in my opinion he was the most significant player on our list, not necessarikly the best, who knows yet, but one of the type it is so hard to find. Of course I was bagged but I still stand by my opinion

So all you Nay sayers, pull your thumb out and start salivating over what we just might have in our pocket, forward or back.

Unbelievable Fizpatrick is only 19, tall, coming off a limited pre season and patchy 12 months after suffering chronic fatigue syndrome and alrady there are judgements whether he will make it or not. Uninformed and premature at best.

Summed up beautifully.

Unbelievable Fizpatrick is only 19, tall, coming off a limited pre season and patchy 12 months after suffering chronic fatigue syndrome and alrady there are judgements whether he will make it or not. Uninformed and premature at best.

A very fair & reasonable point you make- however he is older than Watts and we all expect so much from JW. In comparison, I think JW is streets ahead.However I accept your point- too early to make a call on a tall at this age.

Sure, there are some question marks over Fitzpatrick which reflects the position he was taken in the draft, mainly his kicking and CFS, but he does have attributes that can translate to AFL. He can definitely ruck, he's quick and agile and he's also able to go forward as a strong marking target. I have no idea whether he'll make it or not but I believe he already has more raw 'tricks' than Martin and PJ combined and it's going to be interesting watching him develop.

I'm pretty excited about what Fitzy can achieve now he's at a good club that can develop young talent, and also excited about Gawn, Tapscott and Blease.

If he stays fit and continues some good form at Casey I believe the club will give him a look at senior footy before the year is out.

I have spoken to him a few times and he is a really good kid.

Has the great demon love in stopped!!!

For two years we have been indulging in some of the most free spirited dreaming, flags coming out of our ears, love letters to every Jack, Jack, Jack and Jack ...etc. before during and after drafts. It was fun and indulgent but why not. We pick up every thread of info we can on the u 16 Jack and salivate.

So why not for this Jack. Bailey says we need one more solid tall marking forward. Connolly says watch for the name of Jack Fitz (when he didn't need to say a thing. Personally having sifted through every bit of video footage I could find on the talls in last years draft to see who I thought would be a gem, I saw Fitzpatrick as one of the top few. At his height (many of the really good ones were about 195) I figured he would be really good. I was even hopeful they would even take him as early as pick 11. I was furious with our preoccupation with smalls in the first 4 picks until releived we got Gawn and Fitz. Just as our club was surprised to get him at 50, I was. I live over the road from an ex AFL player now coaching in the under 18 comp ( sorry no names ) and he was a big wrap for him (qualified by health CFS). He is potentially as good as any of our picks over the past few years, give or take a bit.

Every player has some weaknesses as well as strengths but a tall marking forward with his size and strength is as hard to find as hens teeth.

I started a thread on him earlier in the year saying in my opinion he was the most significant player on our list, not necessarikly the best, who knows yet, but one of the type it is so hard to find. Of course I was bagged but I still stand by my opinion

So all you Nay sayers, pull your thumb out and start salivating over what we just might have in our pocket, forward or back.

Well said - give the guy a go.

Some love to condemn both players and staff just for the sake of it - if you don't get instant gratification than the player must obviously be a "dud".

I have seen him a few times this year and I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that he is anything but a complete spud. Uncoordinated, cant mark, no football brain.

Sounds like a young Jimmy Stynes to me. Sounds like a young Mark Jamar to me.

I have seen him a few times this year and I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that he is anything but a complete spud. Uncoordinated, cant mark, no football brain.

He took ten marks out of those 16 possessions.

You're awesome.

I think Jack was being a little tongue in cheek..................

Here's the stats and bio from MFC:

Number 48

Height 199cm

Weight 87kg

DOB 26-06-1991

"An athletic ruckman who is strong overhead but almost as effective at ground level. Won the repeat sprints (23.91sec) at the Draft Camp and finished equal seventh in the 20m sprint (2.96sec). The Vic Metro representative and AIS-AFL Academy graduate suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome but has learnt to manage it."

He is nice and tall. He is clearly a very good athelete and quick off the mark. He has played for both Vic Metro and been through the AFL-AIS which produces quality players most of the time (and football smarts) and he is apparently over chronic fatigue.

Add 7 to 10 kg to the frame and teach the kid to kick and it would seem he would then possess all the physical attributes.

All it comes down to is the mental game after that.

If what people say is true about his level headedness then one would hope he will apply himself completely and therefore develop into a good player.

This seems to me to be reason enough to have a positive outlook for Fitzpatrick. Barring injury, i believe we will see him in a MFC jumper some stage next year (even just to give him a taste).

Fitzpatrick is three months younger than Watts.

MY HUMBLE APOLOGIES TO ONE AND ALL- FITZPATRICK IS THREE MONTHS YOUNGER.And some people can be picky and pradantic.

I have a new nickname for one poster-- Mr Donnish

If he stays fit and continues some good form at Casey I believe the club will give him a look at senior footy before the year is out.

I have spoken to him a few times and he is a really good kid.

And Fitzy loves a yap-doesn't he?? Good on him- a great young bloke.

lol

Mrs Malaprop anyone ?