Who will be cut at the end of the season?

Mad_Melbourne

Oh, and btw...

Anyone saying Maric won't be delisted because he has a contract... there have been plenty and plenty of demons players (and from other clubs as well), who have been delisted with a year to run on their contract.

Could simply pay them out the last year of their contract. In Maric's case, I doubt it would be more than $70,000. The dollars saved from not keeping him on, and recruiting a base-payment draft pick instead probably outweigh the small amount of money in costs to delist him

Wrong. The only players paid out early have been Carroll and Nicho. Carroll was a special case for the wrong reasons. Nicho basically hung up the boots.

You just dont simply pay contracts out when you feel like it. Fristly there are player/player manager relationships and secondly we are paying 100% of the salary cap.

I'd move Maric to the rookie list for his last year while he is on contracted rates.

The other alternative would be to do what we did with Newton and Meesen last year: delist with the promise of a rookie spot. That option might depend on whether or not the player has to agree though.

Agree.

Delists...

5 of Bell, Miller, PJ, TMac, Wonna and Cheney

Dunn, Bartram will be recontracted.

McDonald will go on and Bruce will do another stint (here or GC). If one Junior/Bruce go then Green get elevated to the veterans list

Elevations off rookie list will be McKenzie and Spencer (maybe)

All other rookies (possible exception of Newton and Spencer (if not elevated) will be cut.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In considering the cupboard cleaning we might want to consider where and how many players of any calibre we could hope to pick up over the next couple of years given the compromised drafts. Some early glances and reports suggest a little bit of depth in this years too early for next though we would expet to get Viney via f/s

Theres a suggestion there may be a reintroduction of the mid year drat in 2011 so a spot on rookie list may be reserved for that.

Last year saw a biggish clear out . This year will I think just be one of convenience with some players getting another year possibly by default. Wholesale clearing has finished for a while.

Likely sayonaras.. Bell, PJ, Miller..and Rookies, Meesen , Newton, Hughes Healy. Thats 7 ..would be about it for this year...now...next year will see a handful who escaped the axe this year get marching orders unless rapid improvement is made.

RR- others that have been involved where contracts have been broken and been paid out or partly paid out ae:Woewodin and Dutchy Holland.

For mine - Bell,PJ, McNamara,Miller, and Rookies - Healey,Hughes, Meeson & Spencer all under the microscope.

We paid out Carroll for obvious reasons, those requirements arent apparent I would have thought for any current player at Melbourne. We will let some go and delist otherws. No mad panic to cull any more...we need to do it with a view to potential injuries and a 'just in case' scenario. many of those that some willwant gone at end 0f 2010 will go at end of 2011 should they not have stepped up.

Its about balance and composure...not headless chook decisions

RR- others that have been involved where contracts have been broken and been paid out or partly paid out ae:Woewodin and Dutchy Holland.

For mine - Bell,PJ, McNamara,Miller, and Rookies - Healey,Hughes, Meeson & Spencer all under the microscope.

For Woewodin, we continued to pay part of his contract for the term of his contract when he was traded to Collingwood.

Holland got to the end of his final contract and was delisted/retired. He was not paid out early.

Got any others that were actual payouts for a terminated contract before contractual expiry date?

As someone said above. If for no other reason than as insurance, PJ will stay. Gawn is a few years off being ready and Fitzpatrick likewise (although i believe they will groom him for full forward). Unless they draft a ready made gun ruckman i can't see them getting rid of PJ. He is the lukiest man on the list.

If you listen to the way Bailey talks of leadership within the team, i also believe Miller will get another year. He is in the leadership group for a reason. With a team that is still so young i believe like with PJ, they will keep him in case we have another horror run with injuries to forwards.

I believe they will promote Mckenzie and probably Spencer.

I believe Bruce will retire. Junior will go on another year.

McNamara is gone

Bell is gone

Maric may well then be rookie listed

And if they promote Spencer then the 5th might be Cheney (altho he deserves his spot more than some others) (Don't know if they can rookie list him too?).

A point to consider. Here is a quote from Bailey in This Article.

You have recruited a lot of young players in recent years. Which positional needs still have to be addressed?

I think we’ve got to have another tall marking forward. We’re probably looking at a bigger type of player up forward. We need a tall agile player who in a contest can mark the football but obviously bring a close crumb to our small players. I think that sort of a player is still pretty strong on our radar.

Another tall marking forward is needed? A tall agile player who can contest, mark and bring the ball to ground. I would have thought that was Martin or Fitzpatrick. What does it say about these guys that the coach has identified this as a drafting target? For that matter, what does it say about the future of Miller and Newton? To me it says that the older two at least have had their chances.

As someone said above. If for no other reason than as insurance, PJ will stay. Gawn is a few years off being ready and Fitzpatrick likewise (although i believe they will groom him for full forward). Unless they draft a ready made gun ruckman i can't see them getting rid of PJ. He is the lukiest man on the list.

If you listen to the way Bailey talks of leadership within the team, i also believe Miller will get another year. He is in the leadership group for a reason. With a team that is still so young i believe like with PJ, they will keep him in case we have another horror run with injuries to forwards.

I believe they will promote Mckenzie and probably Spencer.

I believe Bruce will retire. Junior will go on another year.

McNamara is gone

Bell is gone

Maric may well then be rookie listed

And if they promote Spencer then the 5th might be Cheney (altho he deserves his spot more than some others) (Don't know if they can rookie list him too?).

Meeson and Newton were gone last year except no one else would pick them up. Neither taken chance offered this year!

No way can delist or let go both Spencer and PJ as Clearly need time for Gawn to come on and the Russian bearing very heavy load now! PJ slightly ahead in short term. Suspect they will keep Spencer too. but dont think at expense of Cheney.

Although Miller is in leadership group and good trainer etc he is not in best side going forward as lacks decision making nouse. Perhaps only Pia keeping him on board :lol:

Next few weeks will perhaps make things clearer in regard to Junior and those who may impress. Bruce's last 2 weeks have been like back to when was above average player.

At the moment Bell and Miller seem the two certainties.

PJ should be, but we don't have a lot of ruck depth, and with Meesen going, Spencer still very raw, and Martin falling out of favour we might find PJ on the list next year.

I really do think McNamara has the ability to make it but we may never see it, and I'm worried he will be top of the delisting pile. Cheney would be another who is in danger.

Bail should be more than safe.

I think Dunn and Bartram have done enough to keep their spots on the list but I'm not conviced that either of them are anything but stop-gaps.

Bell-Delisted

Meeson-Delisted

Bruce-Retired

McDonald-Retired

Meesen is not "listed".

I think with the thin draft, we'll go fairly minimal. There's a lot of players showing potential and it may need one more year to shake the tree in case we miss good fruit.

McKenzie will be elevated (can't see any other rookies that deserve it), and we'll take a maximum of 3-4 picks. Miller, McNamara, Bell and Cheney out for mine ... delisting or "give-away" trade if it's in the player's interest. Possibly Junior retires or Bruce goes elsewhere. PJ (at the most) on a minimal one-year contract if ruck "insurance" is needed.

Agree with your suggested changes JCB. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to re-rookie (or rookie) Spencer and possibly PJ to provide some ruck relief. I just feel that although we've seen a number of good ruckman come through as early 20 yr olds, I think we'll try and hold on to both for another year as rookies.

Does anyone believe that the FD may pull a surprise and try and off-load a player that may be close to our best 22 at present, however be considered surplus going forward to either directly recruit a player or upgrade a pick in the draft? How would off loading any of the following Dunn, Martin, Warnock, Bail or Bartram be received?

Did Byron Pickett see out his contract term? Or did he retire early?

Also, is it still mandatory to have a minimum of three draft picks for the National Draft? If so, we'd need to delist at least 4 off the senior list, possibly 5, for the permanent elevation of McKenzie, and possibly Spencer.

Current List

1 Matthew Warnock

2 Nathan Jones

3 Clint Bartram

4 Jack Watts

5 Jordan Gysberts

6 Matthew Bate

7 Brad Miller

8 James Frawley

9 Jack Trengove

10 Cale Morton

11 Paul Johnson

12 Colin Sylvia

14 Lynden Dunn

15 Ricky Petterd

16 Jack Grimes

18 Brad Green

19 Addam Maric

20 Colin Garland

21 Daniel Bell

22 Brent Moloney

23 James McDonald (captain)

24 Liam Jurrah

25 Kyle Cheney

27 Jared Rivers

28 Joel Macdonald

30 Tom McNamara

31 Tom Scully

32 Cameron Bruce

33 Austin Wonaeamirri

34 Stefan Martin

35 Luke Tapscott

36 Aaron Davey

37 Max Gawn

39 Neville Jetta

40 Mark Jamar

44 Rohan Bail

43 Jamie Bennell

46 Sam Blease

47 James Strauss

48 Jack Fitzpatrick

Rookies:

13 Jordie McKenzie

26 John Meesen

29 Michael Newton

38 Danny Hughes

42 Jake Spencer

50 Rhys Healey

Gone

P Johnson

D Bell

B Miller

J Meesen ®

M Newton ®

Elevated from Rookie list

J McKenzie

J Spencer

On a knifes edge

A Maric – suggest move to Rookie list to free space on main list

K Cheney - suggest move to Rookie list to free space on main list

T MacNamara - suggest move to Rookie list to free space on main list

D Hughes® - only retain if can remain on rookie list

R Healy ® - only retain if can remain on rookie list

Worth another year

C Bruce

J McDonald

S Martin

Result

3 removed from main list, 2 added

4 removed from Rookie List

3 moved from main list to Rookie list

2 maybe retained on rookie list

Leaves 4 free spots on main list

Leaves 1 – 3 free spots on rookie list

Yep!

Toughie, but for some reason I don't think the MFC will get rid of him.

Will stay for another year...

Will remain for sure. Would likely bow out on his own terms...

Disagree. He's a quiet achiever. Never lets many goals get scored on him and is a real lil battler. Adds depth for our backline as well. Like the guy a lot.

Disagree. The guy needs some senior matches before we really judge! Hasn't even played for Melbourne in 2010 yet!!! Seems to be solid for Casey of late. Wait and see. He was a relatively early draft pick so hold out on him for a bit?

Gone. Delisted. Doesn't seem to be relishing his opportunities at Casey.

Meesen, Hughes, Healey... all gone!

For mine: Meesen, Hughes, Healey, Bell all to get the flick. That's four from our list. Miller a possibility for sure.

And I would also like to add to the list Michael Newton.

So there's 5 certainties from me.

there will not be more than 3 delisting this year, and that is because, the next draft is very sallow after the GC take the cream of the draft, so there will only be the min of player to be delisted, , newton, bell and meeson will be the only ones delisted, if we delist more then 3 there will be not much to replace them with, and that will leave our list short.

Of course there will be more than 3... Rookies need clearing out or elevating, where applicable. 3-4 draft picks plus probably 3 rookies to come in

Guest hangon007

On a knifes edge

Can you also suggest how you propose to do that? Without losing them for NOTHING ... ????

On a knifes edge

D Hughes® - only retain if can remain on rookie list

R Healy ® - only retain if can remain on rookie list

Hard decisions will be made on fringe players and rookies this year.

The rookie list should not be a wholesale dumping ground for out of contract NQRs and players you are not sure of.

Cheney and TMac are out of contract this year. If they go to the rookie list then they will earn less than they could pick up in country football. The Club has to make a firm call on both players. Either another year on the list or move them on.

Hughes has had significant time on the rookie and its time to move him on as well.

We should be using the rookie list to bring through players who will develop into actual AFL players not potential teasers and tweeners.

Agree with your suggested changes JCB. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to re-rookie (or rookie) Spencer and possibly PJ to provide some ruck relief. I just feel that although we've seen a number of good ruckman come through as early 20 yr olds, I think we'll try and hold on to both for another year as rookies.

Does anyone believe that the FD may pull a surprise and try and off-load a player that may be close to our best 22 at present, however be considered surplus going forward to either directly recruit a player or upgrade a pick in the draft? How would off loading any of the following Dunn, Martin, Warnock, Bail or Bartram be received?

Rookie PJ?? Footballs death notice in a glove - More commercially sensible to say goodbye.

And if a player is close to best 22 how can he be surplus??

Did Byron Pickett see out his contract term? Or did he retire early?

He should have been retired early. Sadly we keep him for the full year.

If players are taken of our main list and later placed on our rookie list im pretty sure that means they can be taken by other clubs. So i doubt the club will be doing what people are suggesting especially with so many players and especially Maric who is still very young and improving in the VFL.

Miller is a tough one to predict. A few questions on the matter.

-How well does the club value his leadership? Bailey was happy to retain JMac as captain but is Miller seen in the same light, as others have noted we delisted players last year who were in the LG. Also JMac played every game prior to his hammy.

-How many games will Miller play next year? He was an option for us when we had injuries or tempered our use of Watts (admittedly there are still 7 games). With Petterd back, Watts stronger, Jurrah fit, perhaps some of the smalls making an impact up forward in 2011, not to mention the fact that it is likely we will go for a "big marker" forward in the draft will there be any room for him for a significant amount of the season?

On a seperate note, does anyone know what the go is with the 2011 rookie draft and GC/GWS? I ask this because Newton and Meeson were always a monty to falling to our RD picks and this would have facilitated the decision making process. Maric, McNamara and Cheney on the other hand are equally more likely (IMO) to get snaffled by someone else. I like the idea of Maric to rookie list in concept but I think it could be tricky.

I think with the thin draft, we'll go fairly minimal. There's a lot of players showing potential and it may need one more year to shake the tree in case we miss good fruit.

Agreed. Well summed up maurie.

Guest hangon007

Cheney and TMac are out of contract this year. If they go to the rookie list then they will earn less than they could pick up in country football. The Club has to make a firm call on both players. Either another year on the list or move them on.

Cheney & Maric will never get to OUR rookie list & TMac would be about a 1% chance.

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

On a seperate note, does anyone know what the go is with the 2011 rookie draft and GC/GWS? I ask this because Newton and Meeson were always a monty to falling to our RD picks and this would have facilitated the decision making process. Maric, McNamara and Cheney on the other hand are equally more likely (IMO) to get snaffled by someone else. I like the idea of Maric to rookie list in concept but I think it could be tricky.

1st round

GWS gets picks 1-8

Gold Coast get pick 9

16th team this year gets pick 10

15th team gets pick 11 etc

Also you can't forget the National Draft ... the Gold Coast(and any other club for that matter) in theory can keep picking until they complete there list.

Edited by hangon007

Rhino in reply to the question:

And if a player is close to best 22 how can he be surplus??

My point is in the event that the FD decides that we have surplus players to fill a particular role and that we would be best served to pick up a player to fill a need. Ie the argument that Warnock and Martin might struggle to find a spot over Frawley, Rivers and Garlards as tall defenders. Or alternatively for example Dunn, Cheney, Bartram etc's role in the team going forward with the development of McKenzie and Bail.

If the GC or another club came along and said what would you want for ....player (which might be considered surplus) would you consider it? On the flip side you might find the MFC FD trading a Dunn, Cheney, Bail, Bartram or Warnock who could all be considered for people's best 22, for someone who may be able to win the MFC a premiership during their window. (IE satisfy the big KPF, or speedy small forward pocket that some feel we need to complete the team balance)

1st round

GWS gets picks 1-5

Gold Coast get pick 6

16th team this year gets pick 7

15th team gets pick 8 etc

Thanks for that. :)

I did't know that McNamara and Cheney were coming out of contract until I saw a previous post. I don't think it would be tenable to delist any uncontracted players with intention to rookie, it wouldn't fit the MO of the club and I am not sure the mechanics are there for it to even work if the player in question becomes disgruntled.

I'd be surprised if Cheney wasn't re-signed and I can only go by what I hear in the media but there are still big raps for McNamara. Many posters who have seen him play obviously are in way better position to form an opinion on his future.