News on Brock McLean and some mfc bro's.

fuchsia

Just heard that Brock McLean is to have hip-( i think its hip?) surgery and will be out for 12? months.

and that LIAM J -JETTA - & BENNELL ABOUT TO SIGN NEW CONTRACT.

FROM 3AW's WHISPERS...( via one G.HEALY )

Edited by fuschia

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true then that is genuinely bad news for McLean. He needed as much momentum he could muster IMO to make it in the current climate of the game. For him, 12 months out of it could be terminal. Despite the fact he walked, I feel sorry for him.

On another note, if we can get the brothers signed up pronto then that is great work by the club. :)

Despite the fact he walked, I feel sorry for him.

I DON'T......stuff him

he was slow when we drafted him, got slower as the years went on, and this will only slow him further...if he can go any slower

No-one was more angry than me when he chose to leave, so much so that at the time I wished he had got a big injury, but I can't help but be dissapointed for Brock after hearing this news. I still have a soft spot for him, like trapper i spose.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Just heard that Brock McLean is to have hip-( i think its hip?) surgery and will be out for 12? months.

and that LIAM J -JETTA - & BENNELL ABOUT TO SIGN NEW CONTRACT.

FROM WHISPERS...

The second part - if true - is good news. I could care less about the 1st part. He is not our problem.

No-one was more angry than me when he chose to leave, so much so that at the time I wished he had got a big injury, but I can't help but be dissapointed for Brock after hearing this news. I still have a soft spot for him, like trapper i spose.

Trapper was moved on, far as i am concerned he is always welcome back. Brock left & now plays for Carlton. I HATE Carlton, always have. So i am stoked we received their pick 11 for a kid by all reports that is a beauty.

Excellent Business move Demons. B)

Funny how it all works. Poor Brocky. I will make the big call- This hip injury will be the straw that broke the camel's back. He will not reach elite status, and will struggle at this level from here on in. Feel for the guy, but that is football sadly.

Wish him the best in his recovery.

On to the "Gys". Bring him into the side, give the dees fans something to look forward to. We want more fresh meat into this team!!

If the surgery isn't a complete success, then Johnstone/McLean could turn out to be our "Hay/Rawlings" trade...

Personally I hope he comes good. Don't get me wrong, not THAT good, but he doesn't deserve to have his career peter out just because he left us.

From another perspective though, I have to wonder about his state of mind late last year. Was he aware his body was coming to pieces? With that in mind was he perhaps trying to do the right thing and get the demons something while he still had currency? Thereby taking the money at Carlton while he still could, knowing his career was declining prematurely? Did he do us a favour by walking?

On the other hand, with the hip surgery, could it possibly solve whatever problem it is that's been curtailing him in recent years? Or is it one of those paper-over-the-cracks surgeries? I hope it's the former. I reckon his best footy is behind him, so it's easy for me to say that.

If the surgery isn't a complete success, then Johnstone/McLean could turn out to be our "Hay/Rawlings" trade...

Personally I hope he comes good. Don't get me wrong, not THAT good, but he doesn't deserve to have his career peter out just because he left us.

From another perspective though, I have to wonder about his state of mind late last year. Was he aware his body was coming to pieces? With that in mind was he perhaps trying to do the right thing and get the demons something while he still had currency? Thereby taking the money at Carlton while he still could, knowing his career was declining prematurely? Did he do us a favour by walking?

On the other hand, with the hip surgery, could it possibly solve whatever problem it is that's been curtailing him in recent years? Or is it one of those paper-over-the-cracks surgeries? I hope it's the former. I reckon his best footy is behind him, so it's easy for me to say that.

I've never seen any indication he was bright enough to think of all of that. Great news on the resignings though! Keep 'em up Dees!

Wow Dappa, you really think the best of people.

Me, I reckon he wanted to play for a side further ahead with the rebuilding process and a higher profile. I also think the "Judd apprenticeship" may have been a factor. Call me cynical, but I don't think he had MFC's best interests as his priority, despite it working out that way. B)

Edited by Tricky

Wow Dappa, you really think the best of people.

Me, I reckon he wanted to play for a side further ahead with the rebuilding process and a higher profile. I also think the "Judd apprenticeship" may have been a factor. Call me cynical, but I don't think he had MFC's best interests as his priority, despite it working out that way. B)

Brock left for HIS own reasons....supposed success, Judd etc etc etc....I feel for any player and team that has injury to deal with. We all go through it and it be great in an ideal world if every team was at 100% all the time, all players want to test themselves against the best!

But as far as Brock is concerned.......Gysberts surely deserves his spot this week and he will show that this pick as has been proven with the Grimes/Trav swap will be gold for the Dees and we will come out winners. That is all the satisfaction we need. I appreciated Brock for his hard at it approach but it was obvious that he had serious limitations (SPEED!) and it got worse as time went on. Pride in the jumper saw me still wanting Brock at the club but as soon as he decides to jump like that...it's farewell and hope it works in our favor.....which it will!

Also, NEVER put Trav Johnstone in the same basket as Brock McLean - Trav was a super player to watch (yes inconsistent which he still is) but you would have to be a pretty sad demon to have not enjoyed watching him. Refer to 2002 when he was on fire and awesome in that classic final we blew against the Crows....if only he had the same work rate as a Stehpen Tingay.....ah Stinger you were a star!!

Funny how it all works. Poor Brocky. I will make the big call- This hip injury will be the straw that broke the camel's back. He will not reach elite status, and will struggle at this level from here on in. Feel for the guy, but that is football sadly.

Wish him the best in his recovery.

With or without the hip injury, Brock was never going to be elite.

I wish every player well from injury recovery.

I've never seen any indication he was bright enough to think of all of that. Great news on the resignings though! Keep 'em up Dees!

Toward the end of last year, McLean was getting more roles outside the centre. When his new contract came out with lower $$$, he would have seen the writing on the wall. Apparently he had been speaking with Ratten and Riley during 2009.

Also, NEVER put Trav Johnstone in the same basket as Brock McLean - Trav was a super player to watch (yes inconsistent which he still is) but you would have to be a pretty sad demon to have not enjoyed watching him. Refer to 2002 when he was on fire and awesome in that classic final we blew against the Crows....if only he had the same work rate as a Stehpen Tingay.....ah Stinger you were a star!!

TJ had 10 seasons at the Club and aside from 2002 and part of 2005, he remained a lazy, undisciplined, immature but talented enigma. A poor return from a player so gifted. He was more a frustration to watch over the course of his career. His star is fading fast at the Lions.

I DON'T......stuff him

he was slow when we drafted him, got slower as the years went on, and this will only slow him further...if he can go any slower

You seem pretty bitter for someone who, judging by your comments, should have been happy to see him walk.

People tend to forget that the game is a career for these guys and that Brock is now in a position where he could ultimately be delisted and effectively unemployed with no safety net. I wish him well - after all, he did come to the aid of the aid of the club when we were in need financially and I suspect he only jumped ship after carefully weighing up his options and coming to the conclusion that his future was pretty limited.

With or without the hip injury, Brock was never going to be elite.

I wish every player well from injury recovery.

Toward the end of last year, McLean was getting more roles outside the centre. When his new contract came out with lower $$$, he would have seen the writing on the wall. Apparently he had been speaking with Ratten and Riley during 2009.

TJ had 10 seasons at the Club and aside from 2002 and part of 2005, he remained a lazy, undisciplined, immature but talented enigma. A poor return from a player so gifted. He was more a frustration to watch over the course of his career. His star is fading fast at the Lions.

I think that is pretty much what I referred to in my post.....If he had the work rate of Stinger he could have been anything as his natural talent is equal to anything that has walked into our club in the last 20 years (THIS CANNOT BE ARGUED!!) Output was sadly far far less than the majority who have walked through the door during Traps time.

His talent has got him through......but the guy has played 200 games of AFL football....he deserves some credit for his time with us. I would take his lazy, undisciplined, immaturity over the graft of a Paul Hopgood any day. Sorry if that is not the politically correct thing to say but I can remember many games Trap played that will stay with me than ONE that Hopgood played. I think I'm still miffed that Hopgood ever got on that list of best players in our history.....how very sad!

You seem pretty bitter for someone who, judging by your comments, should have been happy to see him walk.

no bitterness here, but a previous post said he felt sorry for him, i just simply stated im not sorry to see the back of him and stated why

no bitterness here, but a previous post said he felt sorry for him, i just simply stated im not sorry to see the back of him and stated why

Well I wouldn't have thought that an all uppercase "I DON'T" followed by a "stuff him" was simply a statement from someone who didn't really care. At least, that's how I interpreted it anyway.

Edited by hardtack