• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brad Scott's analysis of the demons is WRONG

sylvinator

How to create a decent rivalry...

STEP 1: find a relevant opponent.

STEP 2: find a way to insult them and/or incite anger with misrepresentations of the truth.

STEP 3: do your best to be competitive against them and then go back to STEP 2 and repeat.

So I guess Brad Scott feels that because we share a similar name, that we are natural rivals then.

As much as I like North, our rivals are the older clubs (Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong). North's rivals are more likely to be the 'newer' ones (St Kilda, Bulldogs, Gold Coast (get it...)).

However, Scott is just trying to stir a little something-something so more than 20k turn up on Sat.

Should be interesting to see how many show up. If this was a Melbourne home game at the G, there'd be over 40,000 there (based on the Brisbane crowd). I'm tipping this week the crowd won't get to 30,000 and that will be mainly the fault of North Melbourne supporters. But I'd be happily proved wrong, it would be great to see two of the perenially low-drawing clubs get a big crowd once in a while (though that will probably come next week when I reckon a massive crowd will come to our game vs the Dogs).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess Brad Scott feels that because we share a similar name, that we are natural rivals then.

As much as I like North, our rivals are the older clubs (Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong). North's rivals are more likely to be the 'newer' ones (St Kilda, Bulldogs, Gold Coast (get it...)).

Should be interesting to see how many show up. If this was a Melbourne home game at the G, there'd be over 40,000 there (based on the Brisbane crowd). I'm tipping this week the crowd won't get to 30,000 and that will be mainly the fault of North Melbourne supporters. But I'd be happily proved wrong, it would be great to see two of the perenially low-drawing clubs get a big crowd once in a while (though that will probably come next week when I reckon a massive crowd will come to our game vs the Dogs).

MFC fans hate Etihad.

And they should.

Awful place...

I reckon they will getbetween 35-40k. Last week we played an interstate club. Even with NM's small support base, there will still be a big Dees turnout. People are excited, those who saw them last week can't wait to see them again; those who didn't can't wIt to see then live in action. Even I suggest because we are playing such attractive football there may be a few non supporters there cos they love watching good football. I wouldn't be surprised if it got near 50k.

Edited by Go the mighty Dees

I disagree here.

Scully has been dominant, cos his ability to free up the man with his handball is aleady the best at the club. And maybe the best I have ever seen at the MFC. He is an absolute genius, and Id take 15 Scully possessions over 40 Cam Bruce possessions any day.

Trengove has been dominant in his own way. Average around 21 touches and knows the exact spots to run to on the field, and his kicking is superb.

But I see what youre saying. I mean NOT ONE PLAYER from the 2008 draft even played on the weekend. Exciting times ahead.

I doubt that ?

MFC fans hate Etihad.

And they should.

Awful place...

worst ground glad we dont ever have to play there, as for going i am not a 16 game member and refuse to give the oposition my hard earned and wont be in melbourne anyway but still wouldnt go to thatt crap stadium

I'm stunned we're not playing it against Geelong. We are, after all, the two oldest remaining clubs.

We normally come up against them in rivalry round don't we? This is the first time in a long time where I would've looked forward to it, although their shamozzle against Carrrlton may have been the wake up call they needed. I shudder to think what they are going to do to the poor old Tiges.

I feel total indifference towards North, aside from the fact we can't seem to beat the pricks.

Can anyone name any historic, famous or vital match we've played against North since a Prelim Final all those

years ago?

For starters, we kicked our highest score ever against North... TWICE:

28.14 (182) vs. North Melbourne 14.13 (97) at the MCG in round 21 1986, and 28.14 (182) vs. North Melbourne 17.10 (112) at the MCG in round 5 1991

Then there was the 1987 Elimination Final when we thrashed them by 118 points (6th September). 22.6 to 5.10 What a game that was! Actually a year I'll never ever forget.

http://www.stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1987.html

Interesting comments by Brad Scott on afl.com.au.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93256/default.aspx

He says "The footy they (Melbourne) are playing is just reflective of their talent" and that "they should be in the position they are now because of their prominence in the NAB AFL Draft in the last three years."

However, is our recent improvement really due to the top-end draft talent we've brought onto our list in the last 3 years?!

Brad Scott analysis of our recent success is wrong. Thoughts?

Poor form not to mention Dean Bailey's input. He'd be getting plenty of knocking if we'd been losing. He may not be the most inspiring coach, but as a teaching coach for our young talent, I feel he's second to none. So at least some credit must go his way for what we saw last Saturday night.

28.14 (182) vs. North Melbourne 14.13 (97) at the MCG in round 21 1986, and 28.14 (182) vs. North Melbourne 17.10 (112) at the MCG in round 5 1991

Then there was the 1987 Elimination Final when we thrashed them by 118 points (6th September). 22.6 to 5.10 What a game that was! Actually a year I'll never ever forget.

So our dominance over them (well, not in the last six games) means we play them in rivalry round? Nah, Geelong's the second oldest team behind us and we've been natural rivals forever, and we've played some great footy against them (note the draw and 1 point win against the Cats at Skilled in 2005-06).

Collingwood vs Carlton

Melbourne vs Geelong

Fremantle vs West Coast

Adelaide vs Port

Hawthorn vs Essendon

Doggies vs St Kilda

Sydney vs Brisbane

Richmond vs North

That is how it should look. Maybe swap Sydney for GC next year.

Allen Jakovich went right off that day-kicked 11 in three quarters.

The '87 Elimination i shall never forget.

I don't post often and to be honest didn't want to read all the other posts so if someone has already mentioned this I'm sorry but it's been a long day, I have something to say and then I want beer.

Firstly, I'm glad someone started this topic. I read the article at lunchtime and thought "What a load of crap!".

Secondly, it hasn't taken Scott long to fall into the Kangaroos "woo betide me" attitude.

Thirdly, some stats on the 22 selected so far for each team.

Kangas have 6 to 3 top 10 picks (1 of which came from a player they traded),

We have 6 to 1 from 10 to 20 (2 of which came from players we traded),

We have none in the 20s they have 2,

We have 2 in the 30s they have 3,

We have 1 in the 40s they have 3,

They have 1 in the 50s we have none,

We have 2 in the 60s they have 1,

They have 1 in the 80s we have none,

We have 2 pre-season selections they have none,

We have 1 traded player they have none, and finally

We have 5 rookies and they have 4.

What's all this dribble mean? In my opinion our draft position has nothing to do with the good footy we are playing just as their draft position has had nothing to do with the footy they are (or have been) playing. Going by their top 10 picks they should have been more sucessful before now. Perhaps their previous coach was crap, perhaps the players they selected weren't as good as they had hoped, perhaps their current coach needs to stop making excuses before the match has been run and won. Perhaps it's just the way players develop, you are either lucky or you aren't.

Fourthly, and finally, like all of you I can't wait to get there on Saturday. After 3 ordinary years being able to watch competitive footy again is wonderful. Wins are great but at the moment it's not what we are about. Wins will become important in 2012 and onwards. At the moment improvement is important. Last weekend I set myself to watch Frawley and Warnock vs Brown and Fevola. What I saw made me happy.

I don't post often and to be honest didn't want to read all the other posts so if someone has already mentioned this I'm sorry but it's been a long day, I have something to say and then I want beer.

Firstly, I'm glad someone started this topic. I read the article at lunchtime and thought "What a load of crap!".

Secondly, it hasn't taken Scott long to fall into the Kangaroos "woo betide me" attitude.

What's all this dribble mean? In my opinion our draft position has nothing to do with the good footy we are playing just as their draft position has had nothing to do with the footy they are (or have been) playing. Going by their top 10 picks they should have been more sucessful before now. Perhaps their previous coach was crap, perhaps the players they selected weren't as good as they had hoped, perhaps their current coach needs to stop making excuses before the match has been run and won. Perhaps it's just the way players develop, you are either lucky or you aren't.

Fourthly, and finally, like all of you I can't wait to get there on Saturday. After 3 ordinary years being able to watch competitive footy again is wonderful. Wins are great but at the moment it's not what we are about. Wins will become important in 2012 and onwards. At the moment improvement is important. Last weekend I set myself to watch Frawley and Warnock vs Brown and Fevola. What I saw made me happy.

Wins will be most important from 2012. But wins this year are important, because we only stand to gain from wins unlike previous years. Also, in a really even year such as this, if you take your chances, you never know your luck. Sneaking into the 8, though unlikely, would assist our players and the club in their development massively. And it's on like donkey kong in 2011 IMO.

In 2011, Geelong and the dogs may be past it, St. Kilda and Collingwood still in the window, maybe Freo, but who else? Brisbane and Sydney thereabouts. Maybe Hawks. But it will IMO open right up.

And as for Brad Scott's comments - fair enough. Yes they have had some picks too, and he would probably argue that they should be performing as well! But if it generates interest and rivalry, all the better.

As for fattyhead stadium, I agree it's a crap TV studio with 0 atmosphere, but my definition of a really crap ground is the one Melbourne isn't playing at! Get there!

Poor form not to mention Dean Bailey's input. He'd be getting plenty of knocking if we'd been losing. He may not be the most inspiring coach, but as a teaching coach for our young talent, I feel he's second to none. So at least some credit must go his way for what we saw last Saturday night.

His cool, non-phased demeanour suddenly seems alot more impressive to everyone now he's winning games. Myself included.

Kangaroos have done extremely well in the draft recently. I look forward to watching Scully, Trengove and Grimes taking on Bastinac,Cunnington and Ziebell in the midfield over the next few years. Will be interesting to see if ex-Stingrays teammates Scully and Bastinac line-up on each other.

Maybe if North didn't extract every bit of mediocre talent they had and finish 7th-10 every year (only to bomb out in September), then they may have been lucky with draft picks as well.

As for the bloke that predicted 35K to 40K this week with the possibility of 50K- tell him his dreaming! 27K at the most.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Maybe if North didn't extract every bit of mediocre talent they had and finish 7th-10 every year (only to bomb out in September), then they may have been lucky with draft picks as well.

As for the bloke that predicted 35K to 40K this week with the possibility of 50K- tell him his dreaming! 27K at the most.

What ever happened to the crowd predictions? I enjoyed that. 31,223 for mine.

But as to the OP Scott's piece was just fluff to fire up the North supporters more than anything.

Kangaroos have done extremely well in the draft recently. I look forward to watching Scully, Trengove and Grimes taking on Bastinac,Cunnington and Ziebell in the midfield over the next few years. Will be interesting to see if ex-Stingrays teammates Scully and Bastinac line-up on each other.

Agree Chaser. I am keen to watch there young midfield go through their paces. We must remember that their selected midfield of Ziebell, Cunnington and Bastinac is around 18 to 19 yo with a total combined experience of less than 20 games.

Attendance....MFC supporters may turn up to Etihad but I am not sure about the Kangaroos. 26k to 28k.

Its interesting after Rd 1, the armchair critics of Bailey and MFC were touting Scott as the model to compare against and why Bailey has done nought in the past three years. They have gone very silent and slid back under their stones.

Firstly: Hardly sliding back under stones.. some of us simply put thee notion out there that Bailey was ultimately responsible..and more importantly accountable. Hes proving to be up to the task at least its vastly improved ( Melbournes efforts). He's responded to the criticism thatnot onlyeminated from these boards but resonated around the general footy world. Strangely though there are others like myself who didnt actually want him sacked replaced or otherwise... we just wanted him to show his wares in a winning climate not the "management" mode previous.

We hae a long way to go . Its looking quite positive and thats what I imagine we all want.

Secondly:Scott almost appears to making excuses before needing to. They've recruited some pretty good talent , theyve got top line facilitities, and theyve made some curious decisions in recent years.!!

Good post SRO. Thanks for going to the trouble of putting Scott's comments into perspective.

Agree Chaser. I am keen to watch there young midfield go through their paces. We must remember that their selected midfield of Ziebell, Cunnington and Bastinac is around 18 to 19 yo with a total combined experience of less than 20 games.

Attendance....MFC supporters may turn up to Etihad but I am not sure about the Kangaroos. 26k to 28k.

Its interesting after Rd 1, the armchair critics of Bailey and MFC were touting Scott as the model to compare against and why Bailey has done nought in the past three years. They have gone very silent and slid back under their stones.

Not to mention Liam Anthony who's a bit older but looks every bit as good. He's only played 15 games too. They'll have one of the best midfields in the comp in a few years, no doubt.

Not to mention Liam Anthony who's a bit older but looks every bit as good. He's only played 15 games too. They'll have one of the best midfields in the comp in a few years, no doubt.

that's where we'll be different - although we'll have a gun midfield I think our defense is sorted and our attack is almost there.

While they have some handy players in those areas, I'm not sure if the kangas can compete there.

The OP is spot on.

Ah, this is sage advice: -