Jack Watts

2014-Flag

Guest Thomo

in another. Late in the quarter when pressed up against the boundary line on the wing he didn't panic but took his time and gave off a nice goal."

I just don't get what people were actually expecting with Jack at this early stage of his career.

I expect that he would dominate when playing against a team comprising mostly of 17/18 year old kids who have less development than him. I don't expect Jack to be dominating at Melbourne yet, but a large number of these kids at GC were 15/16 when he played for Vic Metro. I've read the reports on Demonland from those that watch the game on the weekend, and if the best that they can say is that he looked smooth getting a few kicks up on the wing, I'm worried. I want to hear that he took a few solid marks, that he had their defenders worried, he was working hard and was hard at the ball. He is 19 and approximately 197 cm, he should be able to do more than pick up some cheap possessions on the wing. If Melbourne wanted a wingman we would have drafted Hill.

I am not able to get to the games as I am interstate. I would like to have match reports that are honest, it seems as though the reports on hear are sugar coated to make sure that nothing negative is said about the players . From the Gold Coast team website, it has this to say "Goals were traded in the tense early minutes of the final quarter but still Casey looked the steadier side. When the otherwise silent Jack Watts kicked straight, the game was starting to slip from the reach of an apparently tiring GCFC." http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/

I know people that things just came so easy to then as a junior, that when they moved up to elite competition did not understand what it took to compete. They believed that they were working hard, but they just did not understand what hard work was. I hope this is not the case.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phil Davis was playing SANFL footy and not as skinny or young as Watts when drafted.

Might have played one or two games at the back end of the season. PLayed the majority of his football for St Peters, the equivalent of Brighton Grammar in the APS competition.

I take your point H, but he's being played mainly as a wingman, occasionally as HFF next to Miller at CHF.

Any concerns I have are from him attempting to mark when in the forward line, not so much when he's been picking up cheap possessions on the wing.

Like you, I'd like to see him selected and play a game as a leading/presenting tall in the forward line. I understand that he's been gaining fitness further up the ground. I also understand that the MFC don't have complete control over where he plays, but at 196cms+ with a now stronger body, surely he can start playing a bit deeper towards goal.

The reason why you play him on a wing and high half forward is to develope his work rate, it is the same reason why Morton has played in defense to work on his defensive skills he won't play there in the future as Morton is best suited to an attacking wing man.

The reason why you play him on a wing and high half forward is to develope his work rate, it is the same reason why Morton has played in defense to work on his defensive skills he won't play there in the future as Morton is best suited to an attacking wing man.

No, that's not the reason. The coaching staff made it clear that it was to develop some match fitness.

Have you been down to Casey this year ? He doesn't work that hard and is rotated off the ground more than most.

So you are agreeing with me, they are playing him further up the ground to get his work rate up, which is what you are saying get him fitter. Still I believe he needs to be playing his current role high HFF at AFL level with short stays in the goal square for at least 10 games this year and ideally it should be 15 games which means he needs to come in this week.

I agree that there's reasons for playing him as wing & HFF, but my point is that he's not likely to show his CHF attributes playing as a wingman. And while in some games he might make a reasonable fist of playing in a position that's so unfamiliar to him, he'll have others where he'll struggle just to get into it. Imagine, for argument's sake, trying to judge the value of Rivers or Warnock by playing them on a wing.

It's not a problem if the coaches have set him specific goals to achieve in his performance as a wingman, to let him know what he has to do to be considered for the Dees. It wouldn't help if they've just said "look, we don't want you to get crunched, we'll put you on the wing, and if you go well enough, we'll consider you for the seniors". The dilemma is: how well does he need to play on the wing for Casey in order to get picked for the Dees as ... what? Wingman? Or KPF?

I agree with Hannabal - perhaps he should have some games at Casey as KPF, though that would mean that Miller & Newton would have to play somewhere else. Since he's come to MFC, he's yet play a single game at any level at CHF, the position he was drafted to play.

If he had the right attitude and application, he'd be playing seniors now regardless of how 'unready' he is at afl level. Just like scully and trengove are

Are you sure?

Maybe it's having never done an AFL preseason, weighing about the same as a tadpole yet being 197 cm tall.

He doesn't need to physically impose himself at the moment. He needs to be patient with his body as much as the FD does and the supporters. Exactly what is the point in ramming a tall thin frame into packs before it's strong enough. Please don't mention Morton either, he has a completely different frame. Morton will always be lean that's his body type. Watts on the other hand with the right management and training/playing loads will end up a big unit much like the CHF missing from the St.Kilda lineup at the moment.

Relax, everything is fine!!

Are you sure?

Maybe it's having never done an AFL preseason, weighing about the same as a tadpole yet being 197 cm tall.

He doesn't need to physically impose himself at the moment. He needs to be patient with his body as much as the FD does and the supporters. Exactly what is the point in ramming a tall thin frame into packs before it's strong enough. Please don't mention Morton either, he has a completely different frame. Morton will always be lean that's his body type. Watts on the other hand with the right management and training/playing loads will end up a big unit much like the CHF missing from the St.Kilda lineup at the moment.

Relax, everything is fine!!

Well said Roost...Cale Morton will never play CHF so the comparison does not stand up. I will say it again, when Jack stops growing he will play. If you disagree take it up with Chris Conolly who will tell you the same thing (SEN Last Saturday morning)

as for jack, what stands out for me was that one moment in the essendon game. barely 18. playing at chf in a team that was getting thumped. gets ball. turns. 4 essendon blokes around him. 3 steps sideways - he knew exactly where those 4 essendon blokes were. looked up, took his time and spotted brad green on his own. goal. for me that was enough to see and know he will be a star. give him a 1/2 decent team, some muscle, some fitness, some experience and the guy will be the best player in the comp.

I distinctly remember that moment, thinking, "we've got a good one here".

Play Watts at centre-half back of full back and make him chase the opposition's key forwards. That will teach him about key forward running patterns as well as enable him to take some marks with the sit on his opponent, rather than rely on teammates up the ground to kick it to him.

I think he will be ready in time, Rewoldt took time to develop. Having said that, we saw him a fortnight ago for Casey, he moves well has a great turn of speed but not yet having a huge impact. In that game there were others that deserved a spot before Jack

My only concerns at present is his complete lack of any physicality. I'm not concerned by a kick into the man on the mark, or the odd skill error, as I know he has skill in bucketloads, but I am concerned by his complete lack of physical presence on the footy field - at least when I've seen him.

Correct. Think Neitz after he won the Coleman. He never really looked like winning it again after that. He provided us with the occassional bag, but more importantly took out 2+ defenders every play, and either brought the ball to ground or marked it the vast majority of the time.

As good as Roo is, I would take Brown over him any day of the week, simply because he's a footballer first. Riewoldt seems to have a bigger slice of "athlete" in his pie... and this is my chief concern with Watts... that he's going to end up being a poor man's Riewoldt.

Point of interest. Is the reason he doesn't understand competing in the forward line down to the fact he has no-one to show him the ropes? Miller doesn't appear to have the respect, and if it's down to Newton to teach forward-line positioning/leading... ye Gods.

Maybe Bradshaw would have been ok? ;)

If he had the right attitude and application, he'd be playing seniors now regardless of how 'unready' he is at afl level. Just like scully and trengove are

Kinda like Butcher right? Similar age, similar size. I guess Butcher has a shocking attitude and that's why he isn't playing as well.

Tom Lynch? Went in the same draft and can't even get a look in when Reiwoldt is out of action. Shocking attitude.

Oh, and McKernan. Can't forget him. Disgraceful the way he goes about things.

Or how about Scott Gumbleton? He was drafted two years before and he's barely played a game or produced anything. Terrible attitude that boy must have. Number 2 pick? What a waste!

Lachy Henderson? Top ten pick my ass! He's never done anything worth writing home about!

Damn, when you get right down to it, it looks like all of the forwards drafted in the last few years have been shockers. None of them have any work ethic, they all have attitude problems and there's not a scrap of talent in the bunch. What on earth is going through the heads of all those recruiters?

There's two reasons why JW is not being considered for senior selection.

1. His form with CS has not been good enough - fair enough.

2. Now for the real reason. Jack still has a sore back. How sore? I don't know.

Presumably not sore enough to keep him out of the CS.

Perhaps spre enough that they don't want someone driving a knee into it taking a mark off his back? More likely to happen if he's in the forward line of the senior side than on the wing with Casey.

What the hell is going on with you people? There is already Jack Watts threads on the main board. Write you bulls**t in them. Don't start another. Waste of space mate

Why on earth would you give the kid/anyone a senior game when they're playing ok at best in the 2nds.

When he can string 4 or 5 really good games together, then he'll be ready.

I would imagine the club would have the same attitude.

If that's next year, then so be it.

FWIW i think he's a year or two (yes) away and that if he wants it, he,ll make it. Might be more a question of desire, skill only takes you so far.

Why on earth would you give the kid/anyone a senior game when they're playing ok at best in the 2nds.

When he can string 4 or 5 really good games together, then he'll be ready.

I would imagine the club would have the same attitude.

If that's next year, then so be it.

FWIW i think he's a year or two (yes) away and that if he wants it, he,ll make it. Might be more a question of desire, skill only takes you so far.

Agree, he's effectively 2 years behind Nik Nat, first of all 1 year in age and second of all the year before they were drafted Nik Nat was playing seniors in the WAFL while Watts was only playing high school footy, so right now Watts is where Nik Nat was in his WAFL year.

If this logic works (and I hope it does), we should see Watts starting to have a decent influence on AFL matches in 2012. This year and next year there's still a lot of development for him to do, but I have no doubt we'll see the odd flash of brilliance at both VFL and AFL level.