Gutsy Win - Changes vs Tigers

[i Thought Bennell was poor for most of the Match, Just running in circles & "NOT taking them on with hard running", like he used to until producing something in the last. But we can't afford to drop him as he is a good hard runner normally. I'd keep him in for this reason, that he did fire up in the last Qtr & he can be a running ball carrier.

Mate, you are totally deluded if you think Bennell had a poor game.

Was one of the match winners for mine.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One change

In - Sylvia

Out - Bruce

Sylvia is going to be a massive bonus, he is arguably our best and most damaging player. Bruce is a liability who is costing us 3-4 goals a week from his direct mistakes.

I was thiinking of droppin Newton, but I am warming to the idea of him being 2nd ruck/forward. And I dont rate Stefan Martin one bit, so he can stay at Casey.

lol so he leaked 3 or 4 yesterday one only foolish post didnt see your lovechild cough up one in first quater direct to an crow play and not a melb player within a mile

Almost right. I would have said "Did Garland do anything?" He was rushed into the side early and I think it showed. He hasn't had time to find any real form or fitness yet. I have absolutely no doubt of his ability but right now he needs to play a few more games at Casey to get his game back together.

I thought that Garland did enough to warrant selection next week, he will improve more rapidly at Melbourne than at Casey. His confidence would have been boosted by his selection this week and that will help in his ongoing improvement both physically and mentally. We have the Lions in a couple of weeks and we will need our backline up to full strength, he is part of that.

Bennell was a revelation yesterday. Plain and simple. Look at his stats in the papers, and tell me if his 'clangers' tally makes any sense of the idea that he made mistakes?

What did we think of Joel McDonald - looking at the tape he had Burton early in the first not Bruce who had him later.

His stats arent that good. Neither were Newtons. Scull had too many clangers (5) but he will develop there.

Not sure about Bate. Dunne was wasteful with his possessions

Rivers Warnock, Frawley and Garland is that too many 190ish cm players for one backline?

I would pick a team to beat Richmond - dont worry about Brisbane yet - lets get our bread and butter done let the boys get to enjoy winning.

Sylvia for Dunne is done.

Martin for Bruce, Bate or Garland

Its tough this week Sylvia in but who for?

Garland hadd 11 possessions at 100% effectiveness, 3 tackles, 4 spoils and played on porplyzia mainly who had no influence, what did he do wrong?

Bennell, Bail and Bartram all had good games so no way can they go.

Great position to be in as a club.

At the moment, being a defender at the club makes it very hard to get a spot. This is bloody brilliant for the team, but it's hard for the likes of Cheney and McNamara, and probably most of all for Martin.

I think McNamara is only going to cement a spot in our side if he can make a successful move up forward, because right now he is behind so many guys who are proven AFL defenders.

I'd love to see him tried up forward with Casey, the way Martin has been played as a forward.

Yep, I agree. I think Cheney is just around the corner from selection against the more powerful teams, at least thats the way I'm reading the selection theme. IMO their playing the kids in this part of our draw while they can get away with it, until we strike a group of power sides in a month or so, then we'll have Morton, Sylvia, Jetta, etc back into the mid zone, so we should be able to go for the stronger bodied Cheney, who is really bulked up & playing great football.

McNamara is playing nicely, but is a tall defender who, IMO is pigeon toed, & by the way is one of my favorites, but his running gate slows his leg speed, so IMO restricts his ability to play on the nippy small forwards. I think he plays the Rivers role of defense.

I think Martin Will be a good Tall Forward/2nd Ruck - Defender. Similar role to that which Ben Holland once played for us.

Sylvia would have to come into the side. Considering we will have good odds on beating Richmond might be worth a try having Watts in for this 1 game, then send him back to the VFL, might wet the palette a little more, might drive him to work even harder to fight for a place in the 22. Martin after his 3 goals would be a good inclusion (but the transition from VFL to AFL is vastly different) as Newton has proved, after 2 games Newton is starting to show more and more.

Omissions... NO IDEA, what the hell is going to happen when Morton, Jurrah, Watts, Bell, Blease, Rivers, Wonna, Jetta, Cheney, Gysberts and co are ready to push for the 22 spot.

IN - Sylvia

Out - ? (if i had to pick one of the 22 from the Crows game... Sorry Dunn)

It's laughable to suggest we drop Garland.

He has spent a year out of the action, and all we've been waiting for is to see him back on the field. It is natural and expected that it will take him some time to adjust to the pace of the game once more, and to again have confidence in his body. He has come back from one of the more serious injuries a player can sustain, so just to have him out there is a bloody miracle.

As long as he is fit and feeling good, he should play, and if he is slow off the mark to begin with, so be it.

Besides, he had a good defensive game. He shut down his opponent, and was very vocal down back, directing traffic and helping to set up the play. The attacking part of his game will slowly return as well. Dropping him will do nothing for his progress.

Changes for the Tigs

IN - Sylvia

OUT - Dunn

Even though I'm a big supporter of Dunn and thought he was an under used resource in the pre season

this week he made some fundamental and unforgiveable errors against the crows.

IN - Martin

OUT - Juice

constant poor skills execution, shirking the issue too often and an inability to do absolutely anything

below his knees warrants his selection to casey.

IN: SYLVIA, MARTIN

OUT: NEWTON, DUNN

Sorry the juice has done very little of what a key forward is meant to do. Dunn has to make way for Sylvia.

Although the other option might be:

IN: SYLVIA, RIVERS

OUT: NEWTON, DUNN

With Garland to play forward as per what regularly mentioned that he can play forward. Or they may not wish to drop Dunn after a good performance in which case, and if Rivers is fit, we play:

IN: SYLVIA, RIVERS

OUT: NEWTON, BATE

Although hmm this is hard.. I might just give up

Scull had too many clangers (5) but he will develop there.

Clangers 6 against Crows, 6 against Pies, 1 against Hawks, as you mentioned he will improve from his mstakes.

Scully (3), Trengove (3), McKenzie (6) & Bail (3) are showing a CRAP load of talent for the games played. Look out when hey hit 50 games let alone 150 games for the MFC :)

It was worth renewing my membership year after year of garbage football B)

In: Sylvia

Out: Bartram

Don't think Bartram has done enough to stay in the team, and Dunn has been travelling fairly well. All of a sudden it's getting very hard to pick our best 22.

Changes for the Tigs

IN - Sylvia

OUT - Dunn

Even though I'm a big supporter of Dunn and thought he was an under used resource in the pre season

this week he made some fundamental and unforgiveable errors against the crows.

IN - Martin

OUT - Juice

constant poor skills execution, shirking the issue too often and an inability to do absolutely anything

below his knees warrants his selection to casey.

Spot on I reckon. I can not for the life of me, understand the mind set of those who think Newton did enough to warrant selection again. If you call shirking contests, half arsed chase downs, and no disposal or goal kicking skills to speak off, enough to warrant another game then absolutely.

At least Miller offers something each and every week - regardless of skills.

Dunn would be very unlucky IMO to miss. He is improving each week. He was named in the best for The Age. I would like to give him more time.

Garland gets dropped??? You're kidding. :wacko: And Newton stays instead. :blink:

In: Sylvia

Out: Dunn

I am not sure that they will pick Rivers this week. Who's his match up??

To the posters who have Bruce dropped this week - Dream on :lol:

Rhino are you sure you are not my brain posting before my hands can type. Your comments are exactly what I was thinking. Sylvia for Dunn would be my only change as well.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

Sylvia comes back into the team this week unless he doesn't pull up, theres no doubt about that one. Bate starting to find a bit of form, kicked a couple and won't be dropped. It will be dunn unfortunately

Those who are having a go at scully about his five clangers, for a kid playing his 3rd game firstly getting 18 touches is a great effort give the kid time

LOL

Yeah, lets bring Sylvia back through Casey. :huh:

Facepalm.jpg

Give Sylvia another week to recover, his jaw is still broken, where play Richmond with 4 players suspended, or don't you read the news........

In: About 3 or 4 players I like, regardless of form.

Out: 3 or 4 players I don't like, regardless of form.

Jeez I hate these threads. The side is paying like a team, and Bailey suggested he wanted a settled 22.

Sylvia will be the only automatic in, followed by Rivers. I can't think of a glaring out, so it might be like-for-like. I guess Juice or Dunn. Maybe Garland who seemed short of a gallop to me.

In: About 3 or 4 players I like, regardless of form.

Out: 3 or 4 players I don't like, regardless of form.

Jeez I hate these threads. The side is paying like a team, and Bailey suggested he wanted a settled 22.

Sylvia will be the only automatic in, followed by Rivers. I can't think of a glaring out, so it might be like-for-like. I guess Juice or Dunn. Maybe Garland who seemed short of a gallop to me.

Dappa, you have to realise the 'keyboard coaches' need this, also there are one or two posters that need the opportunity to bash their player of choice regardless of whether they played well or not the previous game.

I'll do my bit...

There may or may not be changes this week, somebody will go out of the 22 and somebody from the remaining 24 will come in, I'll let Dean Bailey decide what will be best for the team