• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

ohhh yeah!!

dazzledavey36

I'd be very interested to hear from anybody who went to before the bounce today. I don't think all our forwards getting sucked up the ground is Bailey's doing, I think it's got more to do with our players not having enough confidence in each other.

I don't have a problem with the handball, Geelong looked ordinary doing it for 3 years and the idiot Newman was constantly bagging Thompson. They stuck at it and are the best in the business now with a handball heavy gamestyle.

Yes we need a second ruck and a decent KPF but I fail to see how that's Bailey's fault, he can only use the cattle available

As for Maric in the last, Jamar had rucked practically one out all day and was knackered in the last. I don't think any of your Bailey bashing holds water.

I think it is in a way atm, because our midfield is so young, we are struggling to match the real gut runners of the competition,ATM. The team is pushing up to crowd the opposition in a sort of temporary measure whilst we wait for the return of our better midfield runners with experience. Morton & Sylvia.

But not having the deep line forwards is frustrating to watch, even if a temporary measure. IMO...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the fact that Adelaide lost Henschell (knee in the 1st qtr). Bock (Hammie) and Dangerfield (neck/shoulder) in the 3rd qtr. And then Tippett ankle in the last might have tipped the scales our way.

Despite mistakes we were constantly trying to run the ball as the Crows with no bench started to tire.

You could say that the injuries were a result of the extra pressure we were putting on them. Certainly Dangerfield was a direct result of being tackled (and which side deserves that from us more than Adelaide who took away Jurrah?). I have no issue with them copping some injuries. We've had the same thing happen in the past.

Just got home from the 'G.

I don't care how ugly it was as a game, in the 2nd Half the Team refused to be beaten, and that is great for team Bonding and confidence.

Loved Jack Trengove's goal kicked over the head of the Adelaide cheer squad to put us in front.

Very glad Bennell wasn't dropped as some around here would have done, without him today we would not have won (almost like having a second Flash on the Ground today)

I was on the 2nd Level of the MCC Reserve, was anybody watching from ground level? How strong and swirly was the wind on the ground?

Nobody up forward could kick with any penetration.

After the first half, which around the ground we were having a good crack-we just couldn't kick a goal!! I was so proud of the way the REFUSED to be Beaten today.

Just kept pumping it into the forward line in that last Q. Great game JMac- loved your goal.

Bring on the Tigers....No Mercy Demons B)

I was on the 2nd Level of the MCC Reserve, was anybody watching from ground level? How strong and swirly was the wind on the ground?

We were at ground level in the northern stand near the Punt Road pocket. The flags on the city end scoreboard were pointing strongly towards us, but where we were sitting the wind was going the other way back towards the members. I watched the top of the goal posts wobbling.

It was also really cold in the shade!

I thought he played well today too. But I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a 'very good footballer'. Average at best. Can't see what you've based that comment on.

Hm. OK, I may be playing favorites a bit here, but I have always been a fan of Clint's. Have loved his courage, toughness and intensity ever since his first season when he and the Wrecker used to terrorise opposition forward lines together with their manic pressure. In addition I consider him to be quite a composed decision maker in defence. His entire football career has been marred by injury though (even through junior footy, I believe), so I just hope he can get a good run of senior games together and remind everyone of what he;s capable of.

We were at ground level in the northern stand near the Punt Road pocket. The flags on the city end scoreboard were pointing strongly towards us, but where we were sitting the wind was going the other way back towards the members. I watched the top of the goal posts wobbling.

Yes thanks, i could see the flags at the city end going flat out towards Punt Rd, that's why i asked, so it must have been moving around over the ground. No wonder so many points were kicked.

That would have been right around where I was sitting. I will add that the wind changed direction frequently, Often blowing across the goal (and went both ways at different times during the match). Oddly, two of Burton's goals were kicked in moments when the wind died entirely. You'd almost think he had a little extra help or something.

And it was bloody freezing.

First, I'm sick of reading about how we wouldn't have a hope against a top 4 side. If so, this could also be said about most of the bottom 8 teams, and is simply not an appropriate response to the form the team has shown in the last two weeks. Besides, at this stage I'm not sure anyone could name the top 4 sides; it's still in flux. Six months ago, Collingwood and Adelaide played a memorable final; we've lost by a kick to one of them and beaten the other by coming from behind. If the team can keep playing with as much spirit and dash as they have in the last two weeks they should be able to knock over a middling side like Carlton, Essendon or Sydney, and that would be great progress. Even more telling will be the growing idea that a Melbourne victory over one of them would not be totally unexpected.

Second, the mistakes made today were shared by the two teams, and made to look worse by the very poor kicking for goal. But this wasn't confined to our match, not by any means. St Kilda wins many of their matches by choking the opposition, and today Melbourne's tackling choked Adelaide. Forget about the beauty of the football or the lack of it; only winning matters at the moment. But when you can remember plenty of fluid, quick movement of the ball from defence to attack, even when goals were not coming, it tells you something good is going on.

Third, for mine, two of Melbourne's best three were Junior (his goal was icing on a superb, hard, captain's effort) and Grimes (he has pace, balance, and can spear it 50m); Frawley obviously the other - a giant figure now. How the Hun could not name Grimes in the list of best is gob-smackingly ignorant - like the Age's failure to mention Jamar last week; he was BOG. But having named the best three in my eyes, it has to be said that it was a very even performance - the stats show that a couple of Crow players had mid-30s possessions, but that many more Dee players had over 20.

Fourth, Dunn should not be allowed near the forward line with decision-making and disposal such as he displayed today. It spoilt a fair effort from him. Newton is still a big question mark, but he did show endeavour. At this point, we still need a tall target, and I have pushed Miller out of my mind altogether. The only others who could be tried out are Martin and Rivers, both defenders, and Watts who is always in cotton wool, or is it moth-balls?

But what the hell, the youngsters in the team needed a win today for self-belief. To be 2-2 if we beat the Toiges will be great for the side's confidence. The question for the doubters and pessimists is this: Does this really look like the same team as the team of the last two years?

Just like to comment on the theme songs,

NOT LOUD ENOUGH!

I could barely hear our song at the end of the game the crowed where way louder and as the cheers started to soften our song had played almost half way though.

Great atmosphere at the end, which is something considering at half time the place was flat as a tack.

A win's a win, a good cliche to use here. First half was appalling, second half was encouraging and definite improvement.

To hold Adelaide to 1 goal for the second half is a testament to our hard-working defence. Frawley, Grimes, Warnock, MacDonald, Bruce, Bartram all played their parts today (despite Bruce being beaten a few times early on by Burton). It's a strong platform for us.

he wasnt on burton u idiot. watch the game.

I'd like to add that whilst it's unfortunate he ended the game on crutches, Tippett's kick for goal from 25m out on a slight angle was the funniest thing I've seen this season. Even Leigh Brown could've made a better effort of it.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

yes great game from Bennell!

About this time last week some 'experts' on football culture we explaining how he needed to be dropped to teach him a lesson...

Apparently this was to prevent him thinking his shirk was ok..

Also something about getting on a high horse claiming he would end up in trouble like sylvia and didak...seriously..

Well do those 'experts' still want him dropped?

Great stiff Benny and go dees!!

Sorry. We where having a drink with the sack Bailey crowd with all of us happily admitting we got it wrong. Still it is nice to see you can enjoy a win without resorting to the "Nah nah nah nah!" style of posting.

Hm. OK, I may be playing favorites a bit here, but I have always been a fan of Clint's. Have loved his courage, toughness and intensity ever since his first season when he and the Wrecker used to terrorise opposition forward lines together with their manic pressure. In addition I consider him to be quite a composed decision maker in defence. His entire football career has been marred by injury though (even through junior footy, I believe), so I just hope he can get a good run of senior games together and remind everyone of what he;s capable of.

unbelievable.

Bartram, while I love his endeavour, is one of our worst decision makers.

When the ball is in his hands we are in trouble.

It is for this sole reason he won't be on our list going forward, probably as early as 2011.

I'd like to add that whilst it's unfortunate he ended the game on crutches, Tippett's kick for goal from 25m out on a slight angle was the funniest thing I've seen this season. Even Leigh Brown could've made a better effort of it.

that was a horrible attempt at kicking a goal from the "next big thing"

Frawley is a superstar in the making. And Bartram is a very good footballer, which too many people seem to forget.

And another twenty touches from Bail today. I like this guy, he runs really hard, attacks the footy, and it was his follow up effort after kicking it inside 50 in the third that led to one of our best goals.

We still lack a forward who can kick a goal from outside 20, but lets not nitpick...

It's Bail's clean hands that make him stand out. A number of times yesterday no one could pick it up, but he'd just have clean hands and the ball would be ours. I remember one time distinctly, when a couple of our more senior players were thumbling the ball, the ball came to Bail at half back, he picked up cleanly and all of a sudden an Adelaide attack was turned into a Demon one.

The only others who could be tried out are Martin and Rivers, both defenders, and Watts who is always in cotton wool, or is it moth-balls?

I have often wondered why a bloke like Rivers could not play in the forward line. We seem to have a mindset that when someone plays in a position then that is the only position for them. I was advocating to all who would listen that Jamie Bennell should play forward as he was quick, could apply defensive pressure, could make a goal out of nothing and any mistakes would hurt less at that end of the ground. But back to Rivers, I am not saying he would be a great forward but as he has height, experience, can read the play and take a nice mark. With those attributes and with Garland back in defence ( who by the way also could be tried forward ) and our lack of marking up forward, I would have thought he would be worth the chance for a quarter or a half. You never know, he could kick a couple and force the opposition to be accountable, thereby spreading the defenders. Petterd, Bate and others might then find it easier.

Also on another topic, I wonder why no one suggested we sack the coach this week.

Fourth, Dunn should not be allowed near the forward line with decision-making and disposal such as he displayed today. It spoilt a fair effort from him. Newton is still a big question mark, but he did show endeavour. At this point, we still need a tall target, and I have pushed Miller out of my mind altogether. The only others who could be tried out are Martin and Rivers, both defenders, and Watts who is always in cotton wool, or is it moth-balls?

What is it with Dunn's 35 metre run ups, for sets shots on goal? Then he stutters in his run up and despite the long run up, doesn't kick through the ball. I like Dunn, but understand how he frustrates supporters, but I reckon he is hard at it most of the time and he should be used as run with player only, with the hope of pinch hitting in the forward line only occasionally. In the meantime LD, please get some goal kicking technique practice.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

I thought he played well today too. But I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a 'very good footballer'. Average at best. Can't see what you've based that comment on.

Bartram 20 possessions 100% efficiency. How about basing it on that??

The tops of the goal posts were swaying a good 15-20cm I would estimate. For most of the day.

I'm sorry, but Bruce started on Burton. Burton bested him quite a few times, which led to Garland being switched onto him. When Garland also struggled, Frawley got the job; and shut Burton down.

I'm sorry, but Bruce started on Burton. Burton bested him quite a few times, which led to Garland being switched onto him. When Garland also struggled, Frawley got the job; and shut Burton down.

Yeah, I want to add my two bobs worth.

Bruce was serval times outpointed - outclassed really - one-out by Burton.

Dees2010 needs to be more respectful of others and not jump down their throats.

Anyone hear Dunn on SEN before the match? Says he hasn't done hes best because he has been constantly switched around, and would like to find a prefered home. He's hoping it's in the forward line as he "was looking forward to snagging a few against adelaide."

He didn't come across as arrogant, but he sounded sure of his own game. Dermie (I think) questioned him on his "commitment" Dunn said he thought he 'went hard at it' and usually comes away with the 50/50s. Incidentally he sounded like a 15 year old. Thoughts?

I have often wondered why a bloke like Rivers could not play in the forward line. We seem to have a mindset that when someone plays in a position then that is the only position for them. I was advocating to all who would listen that Jamie Bennell should play forward as he was quick, could apply defensive pressure, could make a goal out of nothing and any mistakes would hurt less at that end of the ground. But back to Rivers, I am not saying he would be a great forward but as he has height, experience, can read the play and take a nice mark. With those attributes and with Garland back in defence ( who by the way also could be tried forward ) and our lack of marking up forward, I would have thought he would be worth the chance for a quarter or a half. You never know, he could kick a couple and force the opposition to be accountable, thereby spreading the defenders. Petterd, Bate and others might then find it easier.

Also on another topic, I wonder why no one suggested we sack the coach this week.

Good points. I vaguely suggested Rivers could be tried out up forward a few weeks ago. If Garland can hold down a spot in defence, why not try it? Alternatively, try Garland up forward. You have to remember, though, that neither of these two are TALL in the way Watts is tall, or Jamar or Martin. But they're much neater footballers than Dunn or Bate (who can't mark in an overhead contest) and would add more to the attack than Newton offers. At least Juice appears to be trying, but he's not the tall we need. The Richmond game shouldn't be taken lightly, but it's the sort of game where Garland or Rivers could be tried out up forward. Throw in Sylvia instead of Bate (but they won't) and you have something half decent.

I never take pleasure in talking crap about our players because they are living my dream, and by default I admire them for that. Anywho with that said barring minor miracle, can't see dunn being here next year.

We have too many tasty prospects. I think we are going to see alot of lucky people's luck run out come seasons end. You'd have to think Miller and Dunns name would be pretty close to the top..

Yes he was. Early on there were a couple of one-on-one contests between the two. Maybe he wasn't supposed to be on him, but he was. And he was beaten.

Maybe you should watch the game. Or at least not post like that.

Bartram 20 possessions 100% efficiency. How about basing it on that??

Calling someone a 'very good player' based on one game is a bit rich. Especially considering a lot of his other games have been mediocre.

Like I said, a good game, and he keeps his spot no question. But I wouldn't go calling him anything more than an average player.

Anyone hear Dunn on SEN before the match? Says he hasn't done hes best because he has been constantly switched around, and would like to find a prefered home. He's hoping it's in the forward line as he "was looking forward to snagging a few against adelaide."

He didn't come across as arrogant, but he sounded sure of his own game. Dermie (I think) questioned him on his "commitment" Dunn said he thought he 'went hard at it' and usually comes away with the 50/50s. Incidentally he sounded like a 15 year old. Thoughts?

That (players playing in lots of positions without really settling) has happened a bit of late at Melbourne. Miller and Martin come to mind.