HF: James McDonald, Matthew Bate, Ricky Petterd

F: Tom Scully, Brad Green, Jack Trengove

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jordie McKenzie, Brent Moloney

I/C: James Strauss, Jake Spencer, Michael Newton, Rohan Bail

Emg: Clint Bartram, Jordan Gysberts, Brad Miller

In: Newton, Bail

Out: Brad Miller, Jared Rivers (knee)

Edit: Ooops, delete away.

Edit: Oops again, that thread I saw is for last year's teams. So keep this one.

Newton in. We've stooped that low. Sad. Miller's career is over it seems.

Rivers out hurts, though some will disagree.

Why are they persisting with Spencer?

How far is Gysberts away from his debut?

Have a nasty feeling we might regret not choosing Martin. As well as quality smalls in their forward line, we need to cover their talls:

Fraser 202cm; Cloke 196cm; Anthony 192cm.

Frawley 193cm; Warnock 192cm; Dunn 192cm (Joel Mac 188cm).

Without Martin (198cm) they're going to struggle to cover Fraser.

Have a nasty feeling we might regret not choosing Martin. As well as quality smalls in their forward line, we need to cover their talls:

Fraser 202cm; Cloke 196cm; Anthony 192cm.

Frawley 193cm; Warnock 192cm; Dunn 192cm (Joel Mac 188cm).

Without Martin (198cm) they're going to struggle to cover Fraser.

Maybe Martin is not good enough to play for Melbourne!! (sorry hard to convey sarcasm on here)... However I agree, why no Martin??? Im sure he is better than Spencer.

I like the fact that they're asking the seniors to play the accountable roles - Bruce on Swan, and Junior (and Moloney perhaps?) at HF to try to stop them rebounding off half-back from O'Brien & Shaw.

I just disagree with selection. Sure I dont have the same insight as Bailey and the selectors have but surely its not hard to see that Spencer is not up to it at the moment. Stefan Martin is a much better option, especially in rotating throguh the forward line. Bate I felt was as bad if not worst then Miller last week, Dunn was terrible, Strauss wasn't great but I would have still kept him in the team as well. Tom Mcnamara looked good last year to me so im surprised he isn't in the side. I dont really rate Bail but i hope he does well. The more I think about it we just had so many players last week who simply were not up to AFL standard. If they are down by more then three goals by quarter time on sat I'm gonna be seriously [censored]

Outs:

Miller---He has no idea about reading the incoming ball,he's forever out of position and an awful kick.If he stays in,he plays within 30m of goal only,because IF he does take a mark,it's his best chance to kick a goal but even then i wouldn't put the house on it.

Dunn---Dropped 2 marks you'd expect to take in under 12's,runs around like a headless chook and has never nailed a position,good VFL footballer.

Spencer---At one stage played 72% of the game without touching the footy,nowhere near ready at this level.

Ins:

Newton---I've never liked this kid and don't think he'll ever make it but we desperately need a target for our mids to kick to and it's now or never and i'd give him 5 games to prove himself once and for all,if he can't cut it,he's out for good.

Sylvia---If he's fit he plays as a permanent forward,he takes a good grab and can kick it 60m.

Maric---Permanent forward pocket who can crumb Newton's dropped marks,he can be very dangerous around goals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller out

Newton in

Well that's a good start,dropping underperforming players is the only message that gets through,if you don't drop them,complacency sets in.I'm so happy Bailey is taking this stance because every other player knows what's coming if they don't perform.The intensity will be huge now,well done Bails.

Must admit, I never thought we would see Newton in the senior side again......

However, under the circumstances, its the right decison.

He may have had more chances than any other player in the history of the AFL! Lets hope he finally takes his opportunity.

I think so too.

It would be interesting to hear from someone on here who favours Spencer over Martin, even from a development perspective.

Spencer is by far the better ruck option. He however at this stage in his development offers no flexibility beyond that position. Martin against Collingwood I think would have offered good flexibility.

I'd be interested to know if this is the first time all three of Bate, Dunn and Newton have played in the MFC team together? They were our boom recruits of 2004 and were given plenty of publicity as three underage players that were supposed to have a fair bit of talent. Guess they got that bit wrong.

Dunn is very lucky that there is no one else this week to replace him or perhaps Bailey wants one more look before he stamps his papers. Newton I thought had already had his done and this is a surprise. I guess it won't hurt to see for the last time just how disappointing he is.

Hopefully, as one by one the kids develop and earnestly push for selection, the pressure on the older players will push them to lift their game.

Miller will be hard up to keep Watts and Jurrah out!

Gysberts will be putting pretty direct pressure on Bruce's spot, for instance. And when Morton comes back... hmm.

Any of the supposed hard nuts not performing as Sylvia come back in would want to pick up a bit, too.

By mid-year -

Under extreme pressure - Bruce, Miller, MacDonald, Dunn.

Under pressure - Rivers, Bate, Jones, Moloney.

That second group of players would seem capable of lifting again and being integral to the side for years to come.

But those in the first group have real 'career problems' coming their way.

Evening all, first time post here...

Happy to see Miller out, can we please see Dunn played as a regular forward? It's what he was recruited as so lets see him given a regular chance up there. Even last week he was out on a flank. Needs to be given a run to establish a position. He was terrible last week (as was Bate) but with no other forwards to speak of (unless Newton does something out of the ordinary this week) we could do a lot worse.

Is it too much of an over reaction if I ask someone to shoot me before I get to witness this game?

Ugh, I hate football sometimes

Oh my...the selections ?

Would have to be the most inexperienced side fielded surely ?

Guess Malthouse can't use the 'younger side' comment post match this time...

Jaded, how is the rehab going ?

Oh my...the selections ?

Jaded, how is the rehab going ?

Yeah the selections are not exactly giving me great confidence of losing by under 10 goals.

Bail is a perfectly reasonable in, so no drama there, but Newton? Come on, are we not suffering enough right now? :P

Rehab is nearly over. I'm at about 85% fitness. Melbourne is waiting for me to get the all clear so they can plonk me in the pocket to help out Juice ;)

Here here. It seems all you need to be is tall these days and that qualifies you as a league footballer.

You have to be very patient with ruckmen. Sandilands has been in the system for close to 10 years and is only in the past couple of years playing at his peak. He was a hack in the early days. Though I agree he wouldn't get a game based on his performance, it takes years for young ruckmen to come good, and there is no better way to speed up your development than playing senior footy. So in the absence of any viable alternative, I can understand why we are playing him. At least he isn't afraid of body contact.

Oh my...the selections ?

Games Experience for Saturday

MFC 1377 AFL games

Pies 2640 AFL games.

Almost twice as many games experience in the Pies team.

Our youth will get us there!

I hope.