Aussie's injury

Whispering_Jack

Judging by this article, it seems that Austin's latest hamstring injury is a lot worse than expected - Wonaeamirri wants to be back for Darwin clash

The former St Marys junior and Tiwi Bombers forward suffered a Grade 2 hamstring tear in his right leg playing for Melbourne's VFL side Casey Scorpions last week.

Based on the story, it's a 10-12 week injury.

What happened to the good old days when, if you did your hammy, you were out for three weeks?

Judging by this article, it seems that Austin's latest hamstring injury is a lot worse than expected - Wonaeamirri wants to be back for Darwin clash        

Based on the story, it's a 10-12 week injury.

What happened to the good old days when, if you did your hammy, you were out for three weeks?

says in the article hopes to be back @ casey in rnd 3-4 so looks like a 5-6 week which is about right with his history

I'd be fine with him not playing seniors until he's shown that his body can stand seconds. And if 10-12 weeks is what it takes for that to happen, then I'm all for it. We have plenty of time on our hands, so it would be quite a shame to rush him in not fully prepared.

I do hope he can get his body right. I just watched the '08 games versus collingwood and hawthorn and realised I had forgotten how good aussie was. His awareness in tight of where his teammates are and effeciency with the ball are terrific.

Was also good to see Garland playing well and how much muscle chip has put on the last 18 months.

I wouldnt believe a word the NT news says, to be honest. Its only slightly better than 'news of the world' in terms of reality.

Damn straight.

Darwin is one of the loveliest cities in the world, and it's a fabulous place to watch football, but the combination of gossip-mongering and parochial populism in the NT News is so bad it's not funny.

I'm just hoping that both Jurrah and Wonaeamirri, are back and firing in time for them to enjoy the trip up together. And of course that Davey stays unhurt to join them.

Would be a special moment for all of them and their families/communities.

Surely the psychological goal for their rehab programs, too.

Games a lot faster now, change of directions etc. i would guess Hammy tears are a serious problem now, in the old days (70's) they were classed as a bit of a holiday

I've been expecting a longer than usual stint on the sidelines: the club said they were going to take this slowly and try to analyse exactly what it is about his tackling motion that puts strain on his hamstrings.

Whether it's 3 weeks or 12, all I want is for Austin to end up fit and able to return to the side. Let's hope that's a possibility.

Games a lot faster now, change of directions etc. i would guess Hammy tears are a serious problem now, in the old days (70's) they were classed as a bit of a holiday

I wouldve thought sports science and preventative measures were more advanced now, so when they tear a hammy they REALLY tear it.

I wouldve thought sports science and preventative measures were more advanced now, so when they tear a hammy they REALLY tear it.

how preventative can you be, a hammy is a hammy. And today's game with all the "Gut Running" up and down for 10 minute spurts, i would guess when it goes, it really goes yep. Remember when Davey did that Hammy at the docklands a few years back? That would have been agony

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

James McDonald on Aussie's hammy from the MFC website.

"It's the lowest strain you can get - it's only two or three weeks, but it's just frustrating for him, because he hasn't played for a year."

And as others have said about the NT News it is a rag. Amusing sure but they would rather make news up than source it.

whens his contract up?

could be on shaky ground if injuries continue

poor fella

Am a big fan of Aussies but he has been out of the game for 12 months now and needs to get his body right and show he can still play or he risks becoming irrelevant to the cause

He's only 21. He's got years and years up his sleeve. If this was happening to a 25 year old, I'd agree the player would be at somewhat of a crossroads.

We're going to have young, promising players go down with all manner of injuries in the coming years, because our list is comprised mostly of this kind of player. Can we please resist pulling the curtain on every one of them because they miss a few months of footy??

He's only 21. He's got years and years up his sleeve. If this was happening to a 25 year old, I'd agree the player would be at somewhat of a crossroads.

We're going to have young, promising players go down with all manner of injuries in the coming years, because our list is comprised mostly of this kind of player. Can we please resist pulling the curtain on every one of them because they miss a few months of footy??

Same injury keeps repeating, not a few months but 12 and getting longer

Wonaeamirri's career is now at the cross roads. I won't be factoring him into footy any time soon.

I'm inclined to agree. That's not to say he can't get back, I wish him all the best in getting himself right. Based on what I've read regarding that the hammy has torn/strained during the act of tackling a couple of times now - as mentioned recently by Junior - suggests some concern whether his hammys can withstand the rigors of the requirements of footy. Whether it is caused by stress or fatigue or a sheer weakness within his ligaments; it needs attention.

As previously mentioned he is 21, so he has definitely got time to seek the required medical expertise and get things back on track. For his sake, he needs things to work out for the best, as the club continues to move forward.

What i want to know is, in his first year he was injury free and on fire. He came without doing the full MFC pre-season and he was fine. Then he undergoes our rigorous pre-season, and is primed for a massive yr but all he ends up with is injury after injury. Sometimes i think the staff at MFC are pushing some guys too hard or something anyway, cause shouldnt he have had all these injuries in his first yr when he came in without the so-called necessary massive pre-season behind him... I am frustrated if you cant tell... He is a gun... Talk of getting rid of him is ridiculous too.......................

What i want to know is, in his first year he was injury free and on fire. He came without doing the full MFC pre-season and he was fine. Then he undergoes our rigorous pre-season, and is primed for a massive yr but all he ends up with is injury after injury. Sometimes i think the staff at MFC are pushing some guys too hard or something anyway, cause shouldnt he have had all these injuries in his first yr when he came in without the so-called necessary massive pre-season behind him... I am frustrated if you cant tell... He is a gun... Talk of getting rid of him is ridiculous too.......................

Didn't he miss some of the end of his debut year with some sort of injury or soreness? In addition, most people would have been saying "gee look at what this kid can do now. Just wait until he gets a full pre-season in him!" Little did we know that would cause him not to be able to play again for seemingly most of the next two years.