There's only 1 bloke who can straighten us up forward....

Finks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaah. No.

But it's not absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. At least he'd be a physical presence, which is something that no-one except Miller has provided. But to be honest it'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul. And with Frawley's kick? I just don't think he'd have the accuracy or distance to be damaging. He's an effective field kick cos he gets space, and makes good decisions, but in a position where the ground gets tighter, and he's kicking at goal some of the time, I think you'll find his confidence would erode very quickly.

I like how you're thinking outside the box, but I just can't get there.

Why don't we, instead of fighting it, accept that our backline will be our strength. Rather than giving up our only advantage in order to hopefully break even in the forward line, why don't we see if Rivers, Frawley, Garland and perhaps even Martin and Warnock can all fit in the same backline. Premiership-winning teams have historically needed some aspect of their game to be above the rest. Let's make the backline ours.

Besides, Jurrah, Watts, Wonaeamirri, Petterd, Miller, Maric, Jamar, Sylvia, Davey isn't that bad.

The other thing is his pace. Would it be utilised as much as it could be in the forward line? In a lead, sure, but I love how he canes it out of defensive fifty and into the midfield. A rare beautiful sight for a dees supporter. And part of the reason his rebounds seem to go a bit further and do a bit more damage.

Why don't we, instead of fighting it, accept that our backline will be our strength.

I agree.

On top of that we also need to understand that our backline is a strength in relativity (to our midfield and forward line) but not in absolute terms. You only have to look at how easily Essendon scored against us in the 1st Challenge Match and now West Coast today at Casey that our defence needs all the integrity we can give it. If teams are scoring easily against us (yes I know it starts in the middle but that isn't the point here) we are hardly in a position to take key players out of our defence. Garland is one player I can understand being suggested as he (despite being a very handy defensive prospect) hasn't been integral to the defensive development over the last 12 months. Frawley (and to a lesser extent Rivers) on the other hand has been integral to our defensive shape and development and will be going forward so why undermind that? I still think Garland is of more value in defence but IF we have our bases covered down back then perhaps see if he can fill a hole elsewhere.

Posters need to understand that we need to progressively develope our team not chop and change to suit short term qualms and over value our defence in the process. Yes, we have a hole up forward but our priority should be focusing resources without "robbing Peter to pay Paul" or we don't end up making real progress and (in the case of suggesting Frawley) risk wasting inportant development and using players to less than their optimum.

Answer:

Frawley.

Garland comes back and Frawley goes to CHF.

He has the size and mongrel and can straighten out our spine.

Funny you should suggest this.

During our warm up i saw frawley having more than a few shots at goal while the others doing run throughs.

I thought bailey was going to try him forward but didnt happen.

He cannot kick for starters. I love chip, but a forward he is not!

How did he get a nickname like Chip when the short pass seems to be the greatest weakness in his game?

When I spoke to DB at training just before the National Draft I said that we needed a big bodied forward to help Watts and Jurrah. He said mids win games. Mids, mids and more mids is his plan.

In the last few drafts we have Morton, Jones, Grimes, Bail, Scully,Trengove, Blease,Jetta,Gysberts who are all midfield typs. Watts and Frawley are the only KP players selected. Jurrah is not a KP player. At the game today we were seriously lacking in size compared to WC.

Warnock is a good average footballer who was carved up by Natanui in the first qtr. Warnock is just not big enough to take on the elite in the competition. He really isn't a key position player. I noticed today that he Does Not look at the ball as it was coming into the WC forward line. On a number of occassions he had his back to the play just looking at his opponent, he had no idea where the ball was coming from. Result, outmaked, outmarked, outmarked every time. We need a general down back like a Nathan Bock.

We also desparately need a big bodied, strong contested marking forward and a ruckman who can play like an extra mid who can kick goals and take marks. Spencer was useless today, never takes a contested mark, never kicks the ball.

I cannot see how we can win a premiership with what we have at present. Sadly, with the compromised drafts I don't know where these KP players will come from.

When I spoke to DB at training just before the National Draft I said that we needed a big bodied forward to help Watts and Jurrah. He said mids win games. Mids, mids and more mids is his plan.

In the last few drafts we have Morton, Jones, Grimes, Bail, Scully,Trengove, Blease,Jetta,Gysberts who are all midfield typs. Watts and Frawley are the only KP players selected. Jurrah is not a KP player. At the game today we were seriously lacking in size compared to WC.

Warnock is a good average footballer who was carved up by Natanui in the first qtr. Warnock is just not big enough to take on the elite in the competition. He really isn't a key position player. I noticed today that he Does Not look at the ball as it was coming into the WC forward line. On a number of occassions he had his back to the play just looking at his opponent, he had no idea where the ball was coming from. Result, outmaked, outmarked, outmarked every time. We need a general down back like a Nathan Bock.

We also desparately need a big bodied, strong contested marking forward and a ruckman who can play like an extra mid who can kick goals and take marks. Spencer was useless today, never takes a contested mark, never kicks the ball.

I cannot see how we can win a premiership with what we have at present. Sadly, with the compromised drafts I don't know where these KP players will come from.

We have lost every practice game with this same defensive line up and our forward line remains in dire straits without looking likely to kick a winning score. Martin is not the answer as a tall forward and would be better in defence. In the coming weeks Rivers and Garland come back to the team. We were so poor up forward today that a bit of experimentation will surely not make things any worse.

Answer:

Frawley.

I was at Casey today. We need someone big-bodied as a focal point in our forward line.

I'm with you. Frawley as a leading full forward. Smash and crash.

Answer:

Frawley.

Potentially the worst post I have ever seen. Lets take a potential AA backmen and play him at the other end. Why dont we move Warnock down there as well. Hey we will let in 10 more goals a game but thats ok it will straighten us up.

Potentially the worst post I have ever seen. Lets take a potential AA backmen and play him at the other end. Why dont we move Warnock down there as well. Hey we will let in 10 more goals a game but thats ok it will straighten us up.

Ever heard of David Neitz? Yeah, AA CHB to FF, that'll never work! How quickly we forget.

Ever heard of David Neitz? Yeah, AA CHB to FF, that'll never work! How quickly we forget.

Not forgotten Neitz played juniors and u19 as a forward. It was not an unknown that he could play there it was just we started his career at the other end. Frawley has played all his career back to think you can just move a player to the other end and it will work is insane. I just think it is ludicrous that the one area we have settled we mess with.

I'd like to see Martin go back into defence (not a forward) and Rivers put in the forward line.

I'd like to see that too, he can mark, is not too bad a kick and has very good anticipation. There are others that can fulfill his role in the backline so why not?

Martin should play in the backline until he learns the game he is playing like a basket baller at the moment. When he plays in the ruck it's like he is in a tip off and he just taps it to a player at his feet who is usually covered by an opponent, he must learn to hit it to someone in the clear.

.................. I cannot see how we can win a premiership with what we have at present. Sadly, with the compromised drafts I don't know where these KP players will come from.

You give up far too easily Theo. Thank Heavens our players won't do that!!!

I just think it is ludicrous that the one area we have settled we mess with.

Well I think it's ludicrous that we have to go wide to attack for goal.

I also think it's sad that our most settle part of the side is still conceding scores like today. I appreciate the midfield isn't applying enough pressure, but I'm not so in love with our structure not to try something else. Grimes, Martin, Rivers, Garland, Warnock and Macca can settle into a rhythm too.

I want a fierce competitor and HUGE body at CHF.

I want to try Frawley.

brfe, we can agree to disagree.