Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc?

H_T

Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 7 months later...

The real question should be:

Is Liam Jurrah better than Robbie Flower in his prime?

The answer is of course "yes".

How old are you "Calabreseboy"? Did you see Robert Flower play?

Robert Flower is in the top half dozen players Melbourne has produces in the last Forty years.

Robert finished third one year in the brownlow and scored Melbournes highest votes in the Brownlow a number of times.

Jurrah has played a hand full of games.

He may well end up the best player we have ever had however he has a few years and a hell of a lot of

great games to go.

He is not within a bulls roar of RF right now

How anyone could think the Robbie Flower comment is serious is beyond me.

I mean really?

Sorry for being over sensitive "Destroy All"

Fortunately we have very serious folk like you to bring me back to earth.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

When I see LJ win games off his own boot with 21 other spuds standing around watching I might begin to compare the two. Might.

I would prefer to think of Jurrah as a proto-star, He has everything he needs to become a superstar, but there is a lot of work and a couple of hundred games ahead of him before we can really settle the issue of how great he is. From what we have seen so far, I can safely say that he has the brilliance to be rated with some of the best to play the game. The thing he has not yet shown is the workrate that the great players also possess. If you look at the greats of the modern game, they not only have the talent and ability to do freakish things, they have immense workrates, constantly presenting and challenging for the ball. What I want to see from Liam is a massive amount of work on his endurance so he can use the awesome athleticism throughout the game to blow away opponent after opponent. Right now he is a flashy 10-15 possession player. He needs to become a 20-25 possession player who can dominate a position. Then he will deserve to be rated a real star.

I would prefer to think of Jurrah as a proto-star, He has everything he needs to become a superstar, but there is a lot of work and a couple of hundred games ahead of him before we can really settle the issue of how great he is. From what we have seen so far, I can safely say that he has the brilliance to be rated with some of the best to play the game. The thing he has not yet shown is the workrate that the great players also possess. If you look at the greats of the modern game, they not only have the talent and ability to do freakish things, they have immense workrates, constantly presenting and challenging for the ball. What I want to see from Liam is a massive amount of work on his endurance so he can use the awesome athleticism throughout the game to blow away opponent after opponent. Right now he is a flashy 10-15 possession player. He needs to become a 20-25 possession player who can dominate a position. Then he will deserve to be rated a real star.

agree with everything you say, at the moment he almost comes across as lazy with his leads, as he sits in one spot pointing and really only chases half the time, skill wise he is very good, and athletically too, he just needs to really work on his endurance, i saw him in the preseason when he played against essendon and he was cramping up at just over half time, he has the ability to be a star he just needs workrate.

my first thought was that LJ is a 'star' in terms of bums-on-seats... the man is a phenomenom, people go to games to watch him tear it up (see Sunday's game). He's not yet a star player - he will be though.

I classify, Robbie Flower a STAR, EJ a STAR, Carey a STAR, G.ABLETT-STARS..

LJ has a very long way to go-but shows tremendous ability.

Edited by jayceebee31

...LJ is a 'star' in terms of bums-on-seats...

Good point. Embarrassing to say but watching LJ play can be the excitement of my week! He's also a star to the kids in Yuendumu - they wouldn't be more impressed if he walked on the moon! But star player? Not yet.

I classify, Robbie Flower a STAR, EJ a STAR, Carey a STAR, G.ABLETT-STARS.. LJ has a very long way to go-but shows tremendous ability.
those you mention are legends of the game and stars in their own right. Liam is an excitement machine and subjectively is a star already to alot of people. i dont doubt those who think he already is a star, i doubt those who think he isn't.

There was a great post years back on bigfooty that quantified accurately the difference between the words legend champion star etc... from memory it went something like...

Legend > Champion > Star > Gun

- Legend is something you use for retired players who reached that immortal status. EJ, Barassi... Basically the Hall of fame legends. No-one uses this word to describe current day players anyway. I think Robbie is a hall of famer isn't he?

- Champion is the top of the tree. Only a dozen or so players can occupy this spot that are currently playing. Voss, Hird, Harvey etc would be considered Champions. Someone like Neitz would be considered a champion OF HIS CLUB. But not of the AFL. In his period of dominance I remember Walls wrote an article about the "Great Eight," that contained players like Archer, Harvey, Hird... Maybe Richo. Neitz was in the article, so it shows how high the term Champion is. Of current day players... Off the top of my head Riewoldt, Ablett, Brown maybe. There'd be a few others I can't think of. Goodes certainly a few years ago. Judd obviously, and Cousins of 3-5 years ago. I remember Lyon was considered, from a very early age, to be a born champion.

- Star is reserved for a player who is in the top few in his team. One that coaches go in to a game and plan around. They regularly dominate games and are rarely beaten. But usually for one or two defects they are a notch down from Champion. Brent Harvey for example, a great player, longevity, rarely beaten, but has a reputation as a diver. Leon Davis is another. Brilliant player, has the skill to turn a game on its head in 5 minutes. Useless in finals = NOT a champion.

- Gun I reckon is something people use for younger players who haven't yet got the runs on the board. Or for players who have waxed and waned. Ones who have the ability to win a game all on their own, but haven't got the consistency. Sylvia would be a good example here. Fev used to be a star, but now I reckon he's floating back into this area.

This is very nitpicky, and I'm paraphrasing of course, but the post helped me to figure out once and for all why posters on there got so antsy when someone would come on calling their player a "Champion."

Edited by Dappa Dan

• 1 month later...

I really do think that if he gets a full pre season and plays 22 games next year, he'll kick 70-80 goals.

He's just an amazing player.

I did have some doubts - on whether the opposition might work him out eventually - but he just keeps getting better every game.

Freak

What is just as important as all the 'freak' qualities he undoubtedly possesses is the capacity to apply pressure in the forward line. As his fitness got to a better level in the last few games, his pressure increased which is fantastic.

This must continue as the modern game demands it. If he is switched on to this part of his game the rest will take care of itself because he is just that good.

After last night Game Liam is capable of doing anything on a Football Field.

He just does his own thing-opposition players can't man him up-He reacts differently.

I watched him a lot off the Ball last night-it was Fantastic.

Liam sees the world through different eyes.

Yes he is and will be a star. B)

I think Jurrah is definite leadership material in the next few years. His body language is superb and his confidence to play instinctive football will hopefully grow on the others. What shouldn't be underrated about him is that he has a very good head on his shoulders - he isn't a smartass or a lairiser even though he does the maraculous and I don't think any of this has gone to his head - he'll be the same Liam Jurrah the day he finishes footy. As another poster put it, he sees the world from a different view and his perspective is a valuable one IMO.

He does things that I have never seen anyone else do, and more importantly than that, he is consistent, in that even on a poor day, he still contributes multiple goals.

So he is unique in two aspects, one being his amazing skills and sense of the play, and two in that his type of "flashy" players are generally very inconsistent, but he isn't.

He has the potential to be one of the greats

I couldn't fault his game yesterday and he is the closest I have seen to a complete player at the MFC in my lifetime.

He kicked goals (from all over the place), marked, chased, tackled, ran hard, did the one percenter's, put his body on the line, crumbed the packs and laid off some pin-point passes.

Star.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

He is a MEGA STAR!

Every other club would wish they had him.

His game was sensational last night!

He has the knack to lose his opponent and find space. Reads the ball really well. He could have kicked more last night if they could spot him. Was in space running toward goals so many times.

Look forward too watching LJ rip it up next season!

Add Petterd to the mix and watch out Dee fans! Were smokin!