2009 Player Review - # 14 Lynden Dunn

Demonland

Lynden Dunn – 'Dunny' just forced his way into the side through good performances at Casey. He had a really good second half of the season. He was able to play down back and as a lead-up forward but he predominantly played in the midfield. What makes him an important player for us is that he has really good endurance for his size. His attitude to persevere and break his way back into the team was really pleasing – Sean Wellman on Melbournefc.com.au.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Still think he has a bit to show. Always liked him. Hope we don't trade him.

Agree. He's still young and he looked like he had some good talent when he first started. I think he is safe if the rumours that Barts wants to be traded are true.

The only way really is up from here. He's had the required 3-5 years to develop, and can't use engine or lack of size as an excuse anymore. I'd love to see him tried forward again, though I understand why they removed him from that position. He's also flexible, which will hold him in good stead.

Bits and pieces utility... Doesn't excel at any one aspect of the game, except maybe having a good engine.

Hopefully next year he can show some areas where he is approaching elite, otherwise he will be stuck as a depth player

Bits and pieces utility... Doesn't excel at any one aspect of the game, except maybe having a good engine.

Hopefully next year he can show some areas where he is approaching elite, otherwise he will be stuck as a depth player

Agreed. He can play a role pretty much anywhere on the park. Could be especially handy if we have some KPPs injured. Also, as a run with player he has a huge advantage in his size. Hard for a midfielder to outmark him.

Lacks maturity and I think that affects the way he runs, found him out of positon a lot this year. With some confidence and astute coaching he could be a very damaging player.

I tend to agree / hope.

I can't say what it is, but I see something in him.

Can't articulate it, but one day could see him being our Daryl White type. But even thats not quite right.

I just think he has developing to do, but I have no doubt that in time he will actually do it

Edited by Enforcer25

I've had reservations in the past, but his good second half to the season has somewhat rekindled my enthusiasm. I think he may have found his niche as an on-baller who has the flexibility to go forward or back and do the job that is asked of him. I reckon this is the direction that Bailey has bee taking him, and IMO, he will be retained on the back of it.

Edited by Deeoldfart

I'd like dunn to become an elite hard tagger

with the ability to work the other way and apply scoreboard pressure on those he tags so they have to be accountable and can't run off him

In the mold of Ling but more dangerous up forward

he has to work on his endurance if he's going to get there. But I think he's got it in him

He's 23/24 next year has played 52 games. He either puts up next season or fades into obscurity an overpaid scorpions player.

I'd like dunn to become an elite hard tagger

with the ability to work the other way and apply scoreboard pressure on those he tags so they have to be accountable and can't run off him

I'm with you.

I think he looks like a 'natural' up forward but I'm not sure he has the appetite for the aerial contest that you'd like to see.

Might be someone we'd put on the table - another Club might feel we're not using him to his best potential and offer something decent.

I don't know how the club sees him.

Another who is adequate at everything and good at nothing.

Trade week may bring him a home otherwise - he has some work to do.

that will suffice for me ( description ) Is another who needs to add something to his game otherwise he will be usurped. Played better this year ( latter ) needs as much if not more improvement again to be really a relevent player for a finals tilt.

Not completely convinced here

that will suffice for me ( description ) Is another who needs to add something to his game otherwise he will be usurped. Played better this year ( latter ) needs as much if not more improvement again to be really a relevent player for a finals tilt.

Not completely convinced here

Dunn is a very good kick, he does not turn it over much, players like him, they need to be look after , pass the ball to him more often, and block for him. A footballer with his kicking should have the ball in his hands more often, his kicking is too good to be a tagger, he needs to be given attacking roles.

Lacks maturity and I think that affects the way he runs, found him out of positon a lot this year. With some confidence and astute coaching he could be a very damaging player.

Tend to agree. Showed good signs in patches. Bit of a utility for Bailey, will be interesting to see how he is utilised now the shackles will be released and that we may see a little more consistentcy - or less positional change. Then again, we might not.

Yes he would be highly dangerous if given the ball in more attacking positions. passing into the forward 50 is first class.

He isn't slow but not quick either which is probably why he is a borderline player at the top level.

My gut feel is he has become 'robotic' in nature, which is both good and bad. He does the one percenters well now, and is more dependable, but feel he doesn't have the belief he can be a truelly damaging players with those foot skills.

Keep him, see if he improves.

Too me im not sure where dunn is at, ive herd mixed responses from fans about him.

I didnt want to start a new thread about this so ill just post it here.

Ive herd he was a real promising junior but i dont no much about this.

What are peoples takes on him, he seems to have a good motor and as we have seen he can do a pretty good run with role.

I remember a game over at Sydney about 2 years back where he looked promising a forward, where di he play most of his junior footy and do people think he could play a key part in a finals run?

At 192 cm and about 92 kgs could he develop into a key possition forward considering fev isnt much taller? or is he more the third tall option?

Guest Cougar Magic
Too me im not sure where dunn is at, ive herd mixed responses from fans about him.

I didnt want to start a new thread about this so ill just post it here.

Ive herd he was a real promising junior but i dont no much about this.

What are peoples takes on him, he seems to have a good motor and as we have seen he can do a pretty good run with role.

I remember a game over at Sydney about 2 years back where he looked promising a forward, where di he play most of his junior footy and do people think he could play a key part in a finals run?

At 192 cm and about 92 kgs could he develop into a key possition forward considering fev isnt much taller? or is he more the third tall option?

agree, to me he looks like a david schwartz, he looks classy and knows how to kick goals, i dont know why bailey wont try him as a key foward

I'm not sure Lynden's the key forward we're after. I don't think he could ever be the type to crash packs and things like that.

He looks alright when delivering the ball inside 50.

Lyden Dunn is not good enough overhead to play key forward.

I watched a couple of games at Casey where he tore games apart playing as a genuine midfielder. Would play in the centre and rotate accross half forward and kick goals.

Personally i like him and wasn't sure why he didn't play a bit more for the dees this year.

kieranbj i think his biggest problem is he is a bit slow stepping up to afl pace in the games he got.

did finish off the year strongly with over 20 disposals in each of his last 3 games (in fact his last 4 mathches 18, 22, 22, 27) were 4 of his highest 6 disposals in games out of his 52 games (also got 22 in round 22 2007 and got 18 in round 14 that year also).

having now got to 52 games, and putting a string of good/consistent games together at the end of the year i am hoping that next year he manages to break out. he is only 22, and given that it has been clear no one has been really sure where to play him, his development has been a bit touch and go.

i think he will be a midfielder come tagger come forward flanker, who perhaps plays the brad green role as spare parts man when green finishes up.

the big thing with dunn for me is that he needs to learn to throw himself at the pill. he should be singled out over summer and told to get smashed. he should be forced to hit tackle bags, forced to back into packs, forced to take bumps and give bumps. it needs to be knocked into him (not hurt him) but he needs to be shown that going in hard doesnt get you hurt. if he can overcome this he could be a fine footballer.