• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brock McLean has left the building

Yencks

Rivers, Moloney, Sylvia, Jamar have all tested patience... and there's a few that could find themselves in dangerous territory, Garland being one... and Blease isn't out of trouble, though he doesn't fit well, since he hasn't played.

It was a touch rhetorical though.

Dan...

Are you seriously questioning the worth of Sam Blease??? He was injured in a freak accident, I cant believe his name is even brought up here.,,

About brock though, I loved Brock McLean. I named my 2yo Staffy after him!!! But, the more i think about this, the more i think pick 11 can get us a big forward, or tradeable for someone better than brock. Brocks strengths were his hardness, his 06 finals game, and thats about it. If it means that scully and trengove get 10 games each in 2010, playing in the guts, ready for an assault on the flag, all the best. Plus, whatever we get from Pick 11 (get on temel for #9 jumper) as a win too

My dog will always be called brock, and I hope the carlton version of Brock McLean wins a brownlow, but never achieves the ultimate success!!! Whilst Aaron, Brent and Colin S lead the demons to multiple flags!!!!

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aplogies for re-posting this.

Pick 11 for the last 22 years:

Find 11 here that are better than Brock, and then we're at even odds to get value for the trade.

In a weak draft

We don't get the players picked after pick 11, we get the player we picked at 11. And we're one of the least resourced recruiting departments around, I have nothing against BP but chances are he won't find one.

Whether or not Pick 11 has been used to success in previous years has nothing to do with whether or not this was a good trade. At the moment, McLean is a strong but goddamn slow midfielder who is injury-prone and who hasn't been playing terribly good football of late. We win.

Am I the only one who thinks Carlton are going to be very good next year?

Yes.

If they get rid of Fevola they will be useless next year. Word is that the decision rests in the hands of Kernahan, Swann and Ratten. Swann wants him out (according to someone on the radio yesterday, can't remember who). It is believed that Kernahan wants to get rid of him because he feels Ratten is soft and he wants the club to take a stand.

Even if Fevola stays, I can't see them getting past Geelong, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Brisbane. All those will have better years.

Dan...

Are you seriously questioning the worth of Sam Blease??? He was injured in a freak accident, I cant believe his name is even brought up here.,,

Ok. When you've finished chest beating, read the post again. I'm not questioning Blease's abilities or right to be on the list... it was a rhetorical question that H queried and I answered. ie, Blease having lost a year with injury, and probably having a recover-ish year next year means he's 2 years behind where he should be. Like it or lump it he's not going to come on as quickly as we'd like, through no fault of his own.

As it happens I have concerns over Blease that have nothing to do with his injury, but that's a topic for another day.

Ok then, straight up trade - Brock for Winderlich - would you do it?

I wouldn't even consider it. Winderlich is a decidedly average player. At least Brock is a good ordinary player.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. IMO you're not giving Winderlich the respect he deserves. He's taken his time to come good granted, but much like Sylvia, his impact on footy games is greater than Brock's would ever be.

There is always much talk about our one-paced, non-goal-scoring midfield, and you wouldn't swap McLean for a fast, line-breaking, goal-kicking midfielder?

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, may I say that the thing that impresses me about this deal, is the way your club and mine went about it.

It appears to me that both clubs sensibly set out to achieve a win/win scenario.

We get Brock and you guys get the best pick we had to offer.

No one tried to shaft the other party, which has become a rarity these days. Other clubs could take note !!

Brock now becomes a third generation Carlton footballer.

Uncle Rick most know about, but Brock's Grandpa was a Carlton legend in the 40's, and served the Blues off the field many years.

I my view we've got a gun player in this deal and I hope pick 11 brings to your club exactly the same thing.

Good luck next year.

from Mono:

And your point is? McLean was pick 5 in the worst draft for 20 years. 96 game star? hahahahahahaha

Fevola? Get a grip. :lol:

Good Grief.

Dear Mono,

we all rate the mighty Brock or the 23 yr old crock differently on this site - just depends what your opinion of him is.

i think he deserved to be picked at 5, and even (up until this year) at 3 in Colin's place.

and would love some extra value than 11 for him - the deal is not sealed, maybe we'll get more, maybe Carlton will read all the brock bagging and reneg. :

you don't rate him as highly - fair enough. nor does DB it seems - i'm happy with that - let's be ruthless and move him on. good call, gary.

the fev stuff was just a bit of fun - maybe i should have added a smiley face or two :rolleyes: , but thought the mention of sexual aids was a clue that i was as serious as fevola is on mad monday .

time will tell on the deal.

i wonder how Brock, Brent and Nathan would have gone in the wet, tight granny this weekend - maybe their kind of conditions?

i wonder how Brock, Brent and Nathan would have gone in the wet, tight granny this weekend - maybe their kind of conditions?

I am pretty sure one of them would have made way for Scully, Trengove, Blease, Bennell, Maric, and/or Strauss to go with Davey, Grimes, Morton, Sylvia, and Petterd.

How many mids can you play with?

How many slow mids can you play with?

Questions, questions...

If I was a Carlton supporter I would be pretty filthy on my club for this deal.

How times have changed Colin Sylvia use to be the whipping boy now its poor old Brock. Brock had a break out year in 2006 which everyone has acknowleged but has been injured a lot since then. Has broken his foot twice and the club this season was publicly admiting he'd had an interpreted pre season. This is why he was sooo slow. He was also playing injured for the majority of the season. At the beginning of the season after finishing runner up in our b 'n' f after only playing half the season everyone was advocating him as a potential captain. He had a disapointing 2009 but thats because he couldnt get his body right. Why would we trade him for pick 11? If we are lucky we will draft a player that will turn out better then Mclean and I'll be ecstatic. There will be a lot of pressure on us selecting a good player with pick 11 because I will guarntee that Mclean will have a tremendous season next year because he is a good footballer, something that this football club needs.

How times have changed Colin Sylvia use to be the whipping boy now its poor old Brock. Brock had a break out year in 2006 which everyone has acknowleged but has been injured a lot since then. Has broken his foot twice and the club this season was publicly admiting he'd had an interpreted pre season. This is why he was sooo slow. He was also playing injured for the majority of the season. At the beginning of the season after finishing runner up in our b 'n' f after only playing half the season everyone was advocating him as a potential captain. He had a disapointing 2009 but thats because he couldnt get his body right. Why would we trade him for pick 11? If we are lucky we will draft a player that will turn out better then Mclean and I'll be ecstatic. There will be a lot of pressure on us selecting a good player with pick 11 because I will guarntee that Mclean will have a tremendous season next year because he is a good footballer, something that this football club needs.

Brock Mclean should never have played on that Broken ankle (Foot) during the 2nd half of the 2008 win against Brisbane.

As couragieous as it was I think it ruined his long term career.

Time will tell...That is why i am ecstatic with pick 11.

I wish Brock all the Best, but i shall always despise Carlton.....

SEN Brock Interview:

Really important listen for MFC members.

http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/Podcasts.aspx

Click on Morning Glory and then 'Brock Mclean Tells..."

No volume. Can you give me the gist of it?

Edited by Clanger King

No volume. Can you give me the gist of it?

Pretty long interview:

-He left for a variety of reasons but mainly due to the fact he felt he need a change

-Thinks working with Harvey, Bradley, Ratten, Williams etc will do his game no end of good.

-Reckons he was running at 50-60% fitness only this year

-They tried to get him to elaborate on the fact that Robbo reckoned players were disgruntled about the tanking etc. He said Robbo might have spoken to a few other blokes, but the players decided last year that they had to stick together and push through otherwise the club would fracture (ironic!)

-Said he has heard about the Flash rumours and has no idea what he'll do but knows he really wanted Froggy to come over to the Dees a couple of years ago, so that might have an impact

-They really wanted him to say whether or not the tanking issue had a bearing on whether he would stay or go...he just kept the line: there were a variety of reasons and that the club had his full support throughout the year

-Said the last 6-8 weeks were hard, playing a tagging role etc

-The reason Bails gave him those roles was so he could learn from the likes of Black etc

-He only started thinking about leaving a couple of weeks before the end of the season and then it solidified when he had some time off after round 22

-He sat down and spoke to Bails this week as he was away last week when the decision was made

-He was not pushed, he went to Harrington and said my mind is made up

-Didn't want a complicated drawn out trade process

- Melb FC were shocked and disappointed

I think that was the main points. But reccomend a listen if and when you can.

Edited by timmy

Say what you like, he is a class act.

Spoke well, never tried to stick the boot in, and was as honest as one could possibly be in this circumstance.

I do wish someone would start pointing out that we'll be training at the Bubble Dome soon and that Casey is not going to be our full-time facility. I also wish that someone would tell the players that for the amount of money they make, they will bloody well drive an hour to go kick a footy around. Goodness me, most people spend that much time traveling to and from work/uni, and would travel for longer to be making 6 figures a year!

Say what you like, he is a class act.

Spoke well, never tried to stick the boot in, and was as honest as one could possibly be in this circumstance.

I do wish someone would start pointing out that we'll be training at the Bubble Dome soon and that Casey is not going to be our full-time facility. I also wish that someone would tell the players that for the amount of money they make, they will bloody well drive an hour to go kick a footy around. Goodness me, most people spend that much time traveling to and from work/uni, and would travel for longer to be making 6 figures a year!

Agree with Jaded. He at no point had a pot at the club and in fact went out of his way to ensure nothing was portayed in that fashion. Dont underestimate the Casey trips as a factor. As a player if I had 2 extra hours on my day every week instead of the 30 minutes he will have to Visy I would take that into consideration.

I also wish that someone would tell the players that for the amount of money they make, they will bloody well drive an hour to go kick a footy around. Goodness me, most people spend that much time traveling to and from work/uni, and would travel for longer to be making 6 figures a year!

...and all other things being equal, if you could make the same money closer to home why wouldn't you?

Nah, you're way off the mark. And you weren't unfair to Trengove, just wrong.

No. Not wrong. IN all your infinite wisdom, neither are you right. You wouldn't know where Scully would have gone last year. I don't think you could prove it in any way shape or form that he'd have been top 3. It's just your opinion based on what you've seen in the juniors and mostly youtube. You know plenty, that much is true, but you don't know this. Not definitively.

No. Not wrong. IN all your infinite wisdom, neither are you right. You wouldn't know where Scully would have gone last year. I don't think you could prove it in any way shape or form that he'd have been top 3. It's just your opinion based on what you've seen in the juniors and mostly youtube. You know plenty, that much is true, but you don't know this. Not definitively.

Our recruiters told some journos that Scully was Judd-like in the internal rating system.

Got no idea what it all means, but it does tell you that in any draft, let alone this one or last years, Scully is going high.

Paul Connors and Kevin Sheehan have both stated that Scully would've gone top 3 last year but hey, what would they know.

Scully has being tracked at a young age for a reason but stick with your quarter full glass.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Pretty long interview: etc etc

Thanks for the run down. Good to see Brock has left with style. I don't begrudge him as long as we get #11 - which I think is about right for him - as one of the mids in his mould was going to be on the out so he might as well get the best he could while he could.

Blues yet to finalise McLean deal: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...66/default.aspx

"It's a pick we don't rate lightly and Brock is a quality player that's worthy of that pick, so that's why we've offered it up," Icke told afl.com.au.

"I'll speak to Melbourne and see whether there might be something else that they might want to give back our way. At this stage, what we've agreed on will make the deal happen.

"We've got things that we need to tidy up from our end with ticking off the medical screening and just confirming what his arrangements are going to be with his manager."

I don't get that middle sentence. At this stage, he says the deal will go ahead. But he also says he wants to see if we'll add something to the trade. Huh?

I don't get that middle sentence. At this stage, he says the deal will go ahead. But he also says he wants to see if we'll add something to the trade. Huh?

Maybe he thinks if he asks nicely enough we will just give them another pick, and we should as well, just to show our appreciation for their club.