Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

I feel pick 18 plus pick 1 in the PSD plus Rivers or Warnock nothing more.

Otherwise forget it and hope he falls through to the pre-season draft.

I now feel Hawthorn will offer pick 9 plus a decent player though so I now feel we will not get him.

You cant trade PSD picks.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest delicious jurrah coffee

if they give Burgoyne 6 to 700,000 a season there idiots, that money would be better of wiping our debt or going to young up and comers, hes an outsider thats 27 in a month, stick with youth, GO DEMONS.

Guest hangon007

Can I suggest to you all that we are right up to our knees in this ... like it or lump it ... IMHO ... we have a "massive" chance to secure Burgoyne ... if you look at the 5 main players

1/ Port ... sadly we are there least desired negotiation partner ... why we will pay them the least in either picks or player exchange. Its Port that dont want us there ... dont get fooled. Propaganda could well become their middle name.

2/ Hawthorn ... suggest this "discount" mentioned is more a statement of fact due to their limited salary cap room! You can only legally pay what can fit under your salary cap. Hawthorn won't and cant pay "over the odds"! Pelchen never should be under estimated ... hey ... if you had a chance to get the best player in this years trade week ... you would be negligent in your duties not to have a crack.

3/ Essendon ... opportunistic they could end up being the best "win-win" deal on the table for the clubs. However, they may face similar questions to us plus one other small question ... Is that the best deal for Burgoyne??

4/ Melbourne ... Burgoyne could well be ours if we want him ... big question now is ... Do we want him at that "asking" price? Now for all the reasons many have mentioned around here ... its all a matter of opinion and with any trade the value of hindsight.

5/ Burgoyne camp ... Honestly dont think they are doing any more than trying to get the best deal for themselves ... all part of modern-day football.

Big difference between the "Judd circus" and the "Burgoyne affair" ... Judd never nominated the team that had 1st pick in the PSD because he never wanted to go there ... However, the Burgoyne camp did because he has a genuine "business" interest to get there.

IMHO ... Hawks have the most to gain & the most to lose. However, my feeling is Pelchen is a gambling man who wont die wondering ... and not one I like at the table. ;)

Edited by hangon007

The difference between this saga and the Judd saga in 2007 is the name of the player.

He is stringing us along. He wants to go to Hawthorn, but he doesn't want Hawthorn to know that they're his choice. So he tells the world he has 3 options, and uses Essendon and Melbourne to drive Hawthorn's bid up as much as possible.

People have said that the word out of Carlton is that Judd was always going to go to Carlton but did that whole nominating process just as a show. This is most likely the same thing.

I'm a cynic, and I think Burgoyne's management are using us as leverage against PA to get a deal over the line with Hawthorn.

Agree. I think the Judd thing has made me immune to talk like this. Back then I was all excited that we'd get Judd. Every day I was waiting for news. Then when it was over I realised we were probably no chance at all, and I'd wasted my time. So now I can't be bothered even thinking about it.

Hawthorn will offer pick 9 for Burgoyne, and Port will come to the realisation by the end of Trade Week that they're not going to get anything better and that pick 9 is a valuable pick in a draft like this.

Now with all those things going for us ... read this http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...39-2722,00.html

If he is prepared to accept 600k from the hawks but wants 750k from the demons. Well he can go and jump in a lake I think!

According to Shane Crawford. 600k is too much and said the hawks would only be able to offer 450-500k only.

Interesting times ahead!

I still think he will be at Melbourne!

Ok.. who can do what.. Lovett wants out.. he could be part of a trade to Port.. Ess Pick 26 and Lovett ??

Hawthorn... would they REALLY hand up 9 ?? ..doubt it..maybe 25, 57 and a player.. but 57 is worth sfa.. so what can the Sqawkeres come up with .

We dont need to do anything really.. except cap him at 500000 and say. mate...youre in Melb at Melb..like it or lump it ..it you REALLY want to come to this town.

Now...what deal does Port consider acceptable on a really really BAD day ??...as its that ..or nothing !!

Money

Some of you are being a bit precious...

Ooohhh, he wants more money from the team that finished last two years in a row than the team that won the whole effing thing less than 12 months ago.

And giving that money to our younger players is the dumbest idea in a thread full of them; If you over pay now, you will certainly over pay when we are half decent or fully decent in a few years time. Thank God Bruce and Green are tying up a $1m.

Pick 18

And as for Pick 18 being held up as this panacea to our KPP woes (if there are any) it is a speculative pick in the best of drafts and this is not the best of drafts.

If the club is so worried about getting a Kossie to our Riewoldt they will take a tall kid at Pick 2.

Too old

Burgoyne will be 27 in 2010, Davey will be 26. I hope that says a little about whether he will be around for our 'window.'

Staying in the hunt

As I have said, we are being used as leverage by Burgoyne's management, but considering PA's recalcitrance and arrogance we may end up with a very good player fall in our laps.

With all that said, we should be whispering in the ears of managers left and right...

Melbourne would be squandering its shekels if it paid top dollar and picks for SB. Better value elsewhere.

If he comes to us gratis ( relatively ) and for a reasonable pay-cheque via teh PSD then all well and good. . half our luck.

..oh...exactly who's managers ...and what sweet nothings ???? :D

Yes, we shouldn't be giving away our picks. Money I'm less worried about. And where is there better value?

Boak for one...longer upside.. probably :)

I don't think bidding for Burgoyne is different to bidding sensibly in any other "auction". You have your financial limit over which you can't go, and you also should not bid any more than the market value. Otherwise you drop out of the auction and go and look elsewhere. It doesn't matter how over-inflated the seller's expectations are.

$750,000 for a $400-450,000 player is ridiculous. I'm sure Melbourne knows exactly what Burgoyne is worth to us, and won't pay more than it.

I'm pretty sure He can choose to go in the National draft but he cannot name his price. Clubs can pick him up ND and pay him rookie wages if they like.

PSD you can whack a price that clubs have to accept.

Money

And giving that money to our younger players is the dumbest idea in a thread full of them; If you over pay now, you will certainly over pay when we are half decent or fully decent in a few years time. Thank God Bruce and Green are tying up a $1m.

Pick 18

And as for Pick 18 being held up as this panacea to our KPP woes (if there are any) it is a speculative pick in the best of drafts and this is not the best of drafts.

If the club is so worried about getting a Kossie to our Riewoldt they will take a tall kid at Pick 2.

I don't think MFC will give undeserved money to young kids to fill the 92.5 but rather front load it and keep on rolling it.

i.e. Let's say Jack Grime and the other youngsters earn 300K for two years. You pay them 250K first year and 50K the year after. You keep that rolling along every year and pay upfront and 50K in their second year.

As for Pick 18.

Pick 18 is pick 18. There's still kids left over from round 1 that still look promising. Christensen, Gysbert, Sheppard, Black, Panos, Carlisle are all players who are highly regarded and they won't all fit in rd 1. 1st crack at the ones who slip thru.

As for Sburgoyne, If he's there PSD,it's a bonus. if he isn't, we stick to the plan of drafting our way out of a sihthole.

I'm not for trading for SBurgoyne.

And 750K is a starting price for Sburgoyne. I've no doubt we'll get that price down. 550, 600K is fair enough in my books. Hawks won't pay him 600K when Hodge, Buddy sign for less.

I don't think bidding for Burgoyne is different to bidding sensibly in any other "auction". You have your financial limit over which you can't go, and you also should not bid any more than the market value. Otherwise you drop out of the auction and go and look elsewhere. It doesn't matter how over-inflated the seller's expectations are.

$750,000 for a $400-450,000 player is ridiculous. I'm sure Melbourne knows exactly what Burgoyne is worth to us, and won't pay more than it.

the most sensible post regarding this topic in 7 pages

Spot on Maurie. I have every confidence that those responsible will make the best decision for our Club / team, in ALL the circumstances.

Money

Pick 18

Too old

Staying in the hunt

Agree with all of that, good post.

As far as the knee and the money goes, perhaps it's just blind faith, but I'm just trusting the club to do the right thing in both those circumstances. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered worrying about any of that. All I am worried about is that we are, even if it is ever so fractionally, in the hunt for getting a fantastic player for our club. If we can attract Burgoyne to the club it's a huge win; attracting gun players is something we've been embarrassingly rubbish at in recent times.

It's pretty clear we're being used as tool for negotiations, but it is my firm belief we should see the negotiation process out anyway. You never know your luck in this world, and as long as we're still in it, there still remains the slightest of chances things might fall our way.

Pick 2 I could understand, but if the club elects not to pursue Burgoyne because they'd prefer pick 18, I would be very disappointed.

Ive been reading this thread as it grew.

And I must say, some of what I have read has trully showed me just how little alot of my fellow Demons supporters know about footy, and afl footy in particular.

Shaun Burgoyne is one of the absolute best players in the league, he is a top 10 talent in the AFL. When completely fit he could make a top 5 list.

We have medico's..... they are paid to look at peoples injuries. If the club think he is ok, then he is ok.

Melbourne have no star players, Watts and Jurrah aren't there yet and Green/Davey don't get much respect. Burgoyne is blatantly a star and deserves big money.

We are a club with plenty of young talent that needs some experienced, strong leaders at the club. Burgoyne is this.

We have a fairly large group of aboriginal players, all young except for Davey. I can almost guarantee in my mind that all those young guys idolise in some way, Shaun Burgoyne. We have recently lost Wheels and a player of the respect and quality of Shaun Burgoyne would be incredible.

The talk of youth is beyond ridiculous, he is 26!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you all 15???? 26 is not old for a team going forward!!! IM certainly hoping we are a finals side at some point in the next 3 years, Burgoyne will definately be around in our finals tint. If James Mcdonald can get a game at a bottom placed Melbourne then a 29-30 year old Shaun Burgoyne will be one of our best players still when we are pushing finals.

He would 100% guaranteed be the player every team we are against tags.... Therefore releasing the pressure on Mclean, Sylvia, Scully, Trengove etc. But especially Davey. Who would not be the player with a number 1 tagger on him. Imagine Davey this year without a heavy tag???? Would be absolutely incredible.

I could go on about this for longer but im worried my opinion will not be seen by a fair few on here. It's a shame that people honestly think that any of this is a bad idea. Paying Burgoyne, getting Burgoyne would be massive, I repeat massive for this club.,....

Any questions, just ask.

You are spot on. People here write about our lack of stars and now that we have the chance to grab one they suddenly don't want him. The problem with a lot of posters on Demonland posters is if they are not tearing up the comp now then they think the player has had it, no good, will never come back just look at the Sherman thread where he got constantly rubbished I always thought we should of got him or Rhyce Shaw with the Johnstone deal most people thought they were rubbish now they are pretty good players for their clubs.

Burgoyne has been injured for most of the year that's why he hasn't been great. Burgoyne is a match winning star instead of rubbishing his age and injury we should be asking will Burgoyne's 5 years or so years give us a better chance of winning a flag than having Trengrove for 10 or so years. In other words WILL Trengrove be a match winning star? cause Burgoyne already IS a match winning star. I think we all think Trengrove will be good but I don't think everyone thinks that he has star written all over him that's why a fair few want either Morabito or Butcher. There is a time when we have to start playing for today I'm worried that the club is so focused on tomorrow that today will never come. Pick 2 will definately get us over the line but I would be desperately looking at trying to have both.

Regarding the Footy Show. Why couldn't they have also interviewed Melbourne as well? Did Hutchy have the day off? Why were we first? I would of thought you would of went to your preferred club first. Looking at Hamilton's body language you would of thought that Essendon had no chance of getting Borgoyne.

Turning 27 in a month and with a dodgy knee. No thanks. I hate people that say he is a super star... He is a All Australian once there are alot of players that have been All Australians just once. Alot of people get caught up in one year of football. Over his career he averages 16.1 disposals... Thats nothing to write home about.

Turning 27 in a month and with a dodgy knee. No thanks. I hate people that say he is a super star... He is a All Australian once there are alot of players that have been All Australians just once. Alot of people get caught up in one year of football. Over his career he averages 16.1 disposals... Thats nothing to write home about.

There's another one 32. A stat watcher not a game watcher.

There's another one 32. A stat watcher not a game watcher.

.... Here is a stat for you. Hes wanting $600,000 a year @ 16 disposals per match thats $1,705 per stat. I would hope you are in no position of money in your job/life. Actually i guess your one of thos blokes that gets pocket money off the wife each week.

Bottom line is he is a waste of money. 27yr old trying to make a buck because he knows hes not going to get that money at port cause they know hes knee will not let him get to his best.

.... Here is a stat for you. Hes wanting $600,000 a year @ 16 disposals per match thats $1,705 per stat. I would hope you are in no position of money in your job/life. Actually i guess your one of thos blokes that gets pocket money off the wife each week.

Bottom line is he is a waste of money. 27yr old trying to make a buck because he knows hes not going to get that money at port cause they know hes knee will not let him get to his best.

You know that for sure do you? Keep on looking at your stats. Your user name suits you.