The Dustin Martin Thread

fuchsia

The thing that worries me most about Martin is that he is highly rated by Richmond!

That's got alarm bells all over it for me!

From what I've read, and the limited video footage I've seen, I say go with Trengove at 2.

I love the fact that he isn't just playing against men, but playing well against them.

• 3 years later...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-15/martin-at-trade-risk-lyon

In the past it'd be a definite no but with Neeld's super football-department it seems like an interesting prospect.

Aha Garrry getting a slight dig into Caro. How well will she take this. I hope he or CH bring it up next show.

For mine wouldnt touch him or so rumour goes,his family.

Absolute yes for mine.

Be the perfect test to see if Neeld is all tough talk or if he can back it up rather than just ship off anyone that's in the too hard basket.

Now hang on.. who did we shipped off that you would put in the too hard basket? hope your not talking about morton gysberts or moloney. What you just said is the opposite to what neeld is building. A strong culture with a no [censored] policy! and you wanna recruit this muppet!? you have lost the plot stuie.. after seeing this [censored] carry on after Nathan Jones in the NAB cup i hope he stuffs up again and given the ass!

• Like 3

Now hang on.. who did we shipped off that you would put in the too hard basket? hope your not talking about morton gysberts or moloney. What you just said is the opposite to what neeld is building. A strong culture with a no [censored] policy! and you wanna recruit this muppet!? you have lost the plot stuie.. after seeing this [censored] carry on after Nathan Jones in the NAB cup i hope he stuffs up again and given the ass!

The guy is an absolute superstar and exactly what we need in the midfield. If Neeld is really as tough as he talks then he can reign him in and we'll have a gun player. It's a sign of weak coaching/management if you don't take on challenges that are worth the rewards and always play it safe.

If this was an option, Neeld would be seriously weighing up the obvious benefits against the risk of damage to the club and playing group should it all turn to sh!t. I do think the 'no d'heads' policy is a good guide, on the whole. Does Martin fail this?

If this was an option, Neeld would be seriously weighing up the obvious benefits against the risk of damage to the club and playing group should it all turn to sh!t. I do think the 'no d'heads' policy is a good guide, on the whole. Does Martin fail this?

It's definitely a risk vs reward situation isn't it. IMO the determining factor might be if our culture is strong enough yet to survive it (ie- Tippett in Sydney)

The guy is an absolute superstar and exactly what we need in the midfield. If Neeld is really as tough as he talks then he can reign him in and we'll have a gun player. It's a sign of weak coaching/management if you don't take on challenges that are worth the rewards and always play it safe.

A superstar with a tendency to go missing for long patches, and sometimes strings of matches at a time. Good player but nowhere near worthy of the hype surrounding him. The attitude and off-field issues alone are enough to steer well away. We are a club trying to BUILD a culture.

• Like 2

A superstar with a tendency to go missing for long patches, and sometimes strings of matches at a time. Good player but nowhere near worthy of the hype surrounding him. The attitude and off-field issues alone are enough to steer well away. We are a club trying to BUILD a culture.

We're also trying to build a midfield, and I would hope that if Neeld feels he can keep him on the straight and narrow then he'd go for it.

So you don't think Hardwick and the rest at Tigerland haven't tried. If only it were that easy 'stuie', if only we lived in the past where legends of the game could get away with almost anything because they could play football and their clubs covered for them.

This is not a challenge, a challenge is something where you have a chance of winning.

So you don't think Hardwick and the rest at Tigerland haven't tried. If only it were that easy 'stuie', if only we lived in the past where legends of the game could get away with almost anything because they could play football and their clubs covered for them.

This is not a challenge, a challenge is something where you have a chance of winning.

I'm not saying we blindly jump in, but if Neeld looked him in the eye and came away feeling it could work I'd be wrapped and our midfield would be instantly twice as potent.

I'm not saying we blindly jump in, but if Neeld looked him in the eye and came away feeling it could work I'd be wrapped and our midfield would be instantly twice as potent.

There's no doubt he can play, but you have to go by his actions and if Richmond off load him then they are not good. If you've ever looked someone in the eye with major issues, they are really good at looking you straight back and telling you what you want to hear.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case here, I hope the kid can get on track but with the scrutiny on players these days it's going to be hard for him.

All this stuff about being solid citizens, fine young men and having the great character etc. as I alluded to before there would be a few legends of the game (not only the obvious recent ones), some of them great leaders on field who would have struggled under the scrutiny of todays AFL but they could really play.

There's no doubt he can play, but you have to go by his actions and if Richmond off load him then they are not good. If you've ever looked someone in the eye with major issues, they are really good at looking you straight back and telling you what you want to hear.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case here, I hope the kid can get on track but with the scrutiny on players these days it's going to be hard for him.

All this stuff about being solid citizens, fine young men and having the great character etc. as I alluded to before there would be a few legends of the game (not only the obvious recent ones), some of them great leaders on field who would have struggled under the scrutiny of todays AFL but they could really play.

I don't see Neeld as someone easily sucked in though. His teaching background strengthens that too.

Please Please Please no Richard Craniums, that includes DM. DM is not just a lad having a laugh, he would be a snake in the grass we just don't need.

• Like 1

I don't see Neeld as someone easily sucked in though. His teaching background strengthens that too.

It's not about what Neeld tolerates or what Neeld accepts. The idea that players will behave when they respect the coach is all nice and dandy, but it's what the player does when he's not at the club, and not under the coach's watchful eye that is a worry. If the player has no self control or sense of correct behaviour, then it doesn't matter how wonderful whiz bang the coach is. If the player is out of control I don't want a bar of it. Richmond abandoning such a clearly talented player so young is a massive red flag in this regard.

Also, before old dee accuses me of only wanting choir boys, in between the extremes of "choir boy" and "out of control lunatic" is a huge big grey area that I'm happy for our playing group to fall in.

• Like 4