PJ's game today

Doggo

Paul Johnson's game today was fantastic. The extra responsibility of playing as the lone ruckman really seemed to lifft him to a new level. He's copped a fair bit over the last few weeks, and deservedly so- his form had been patchy at best. But playing a lone hand for the first time in his career, he was really great. Worked hard all day, and understandably was absolutely spent at the end of the match.

In no way was he disgraced by Cox, who's arguably the best ruckman in the AFL, and while Cox may have had 23 disposals and 27 hitouts, PJ held his own with 20 disposals and 21 hitouts. Against lesser opposition, PJ's contribution would have been even greater. I think today he showed that he really can step up to the plate and compete as a #1 ruckman in his own right. Now all he needs to do is find that form consistently and back it up again next week against the Bulldogs.

He needed to stand up today, and he did. I'm very proud of his performance and hope that he can build on it, put his poor start to the year behind him and have a really good year.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I've been pretty harsh on him this year, and with good cause, and I expected him to be smashed in the ruck today but I was pleasantly surprised by his game. Here is hoping he now believes he can mix it with the big boys and plays like that more often than not.

On the radio I heard that Cox had a very poor game. However, it'd hardly be unusual for interstate commentators to be focussed on the home side.

How much of it was Cox having a poor one and how much was it PJ stepping up?

On the radio I heard that Cox had a very poor game. However, it'd hardly be unusual for interstate commentators to be focussed on the home side.

It wasn't Cox's best game, so PJ had that going for him. Still he bobbed up and kicked goals, as well as setting others up at times that really started to make the match-up more even. The big criticism over PJ's game, apart from his so-called weakness at ruck contests, is that he has problems defending and matching up. If he has a good one, it's likely his opponent will too, which kind of means that there's no point in him playing well. This manifested itself at its worst when Lynch stepped in as a pure backup and had an immediate impact.

Still, PJ put in more than his fair share, and that's enough for me to stay on him. Unlike some so-called "supporters." The concern is that he might be a bit of a Jeff White in that he plays like a gun when he has the job to himself, but not when he shares it. And that's bad news because it's just unsustainable.

Having a poor game didn't stop him from getting best-on votes it seems:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/ro...1893857964.html

PJ won more contested ball and his second efforts were very good where Cox always gets easy receives, a la Jeff White.

Just about line-ball I reckon.

Like Hannabal, I'm not a fan, but I'm happy that Cox didn't run rampant yesterday, and I'd say at least part of that should be attributed to PJ.

Were you listening to 3AW/6PR, because they're very biased.

SEN didn't sound biased at all. Gossage was calling and he was very positive towards us.

Cos was best for WCE in the online Age. :blink:

SEN didn't sound biased at all. Gossage was calling and he was very positive towards us.

Normally I listen to 774 for football particularly Friday and Saturdays. I just cant stand Rex (What a creep whether in or getting out of car!) or the buffoons on MMM. However, I dont mind SEN and I think there interstate coverage from SA and WA is the best coverage. I think Rod Jamieson and co in Adelaide for 774 are just terrible.

I'm not a fan, but he did well.

Fair call. Just dont where that has him for the longer future.

Normally I listen to 774 for football particularly Friday and Saturdays. I just cant stand Rex (What a creep whether in or getting out of car!) or the buffoons on MMM. However, I dont mind SEN and I think there interstate coverage from SA and WA is the best coverage. I think Rod Jamieson and co in Adelaide for 774 are just terrible.

I happen to like Rex, but it's defintely an 'acquired taste', one that I was brought up on, and I understand how most people can't stand him. 3AW do have some of the better special comments, and the only decent statistician on the radio.

MMM is horrible. Cannot listen to them. 774 is good sometimes, but when we're interstate I always listen to SEN.

gerard healy's hatred towards his former club is amazing....

paul johnson delivered - he won contested footy, threw his weight around and at times negated cox.

cox continued to play as a follower and pick up easy posessions.

the move of lynch into the centre was the defining moment...

each match shows a new positive for me...

One of his better games IMO, whilst he didn't nullify Cox and they both had similar stats, it was good that he held his own against the best ruckman in the league, which hopefully gives him the confidence to step up like this again and again.

I happen to like Rex, but it's defintely an 'acquired taste', one that I was brought up on, and I understand how most people can't stand him. 3AW do have some of the better special comments, and the only decent statistician on the radio.

MMM is horrible. Cannot listen to them. 774 is good sometimes, but when we're interstate I always listen to SEN.

I'm the same. Although I can't stand Hunt. I might have put up with him whilst I was younger (ie late 80's; early 90's), but I turn him off when he crap's on.

gerard healy's hatred towards his former club is amazing....

Gerard's still hurting from the 87 final when we hammered him and his Swanettes!

They're the best of a bad bunch. They still got their claws stuck in. What I liked was the Ben Allen special comments. His voice doesn't ooze Dennis Commetti, but the actual things he says are quite interesting. Oh, and he has a man crush on Bennell, so that was nice.

:D

What was with the amount of mistakes in yesterday's commentary?

Bennell 8 games played. BT twice in a minute claiming the margin was 15 points despite it being 16, and then at half time stating that we had kicked more goals than WC (7-7). Healy claiming Morton had 32 touches even though they were showing a graphic that had 34.

They're just off the top of my head.

As for PJ, he was good but boy did he need to be.

Stood up against a formidable opponent.

PJ has had a stinker of a season thus far, but when throw with his biggest career challenge, he stood up to the best of his ability.

We got comprehensively beaten in the ruck (as per usual), but around the ground I though PJ had Cox's measure.

I'm now a lot more confident that PJ can ruck on his own until Jamar is fit.

brian taylor may be the number 1 caller but please stick to radio... honestly, the bermuda triangle was starting to [censored] me off...

anyone else notice the toal lack of statistics during the match and also replays of important events??

Brian Taylor and the Bermuda Triangle routine = tedious in the extremis.

But

Taylor is a [censored] a Rex Hunt wannabe. Healy loves Bennell with good reason to he looks like he will be a gun, 2 Davey's running off half back has got me excited. P.J done his job but I would just love him to show some aggression. Lynch's aggression turned the game. The replays on fox are disgraceful as is their camera work. I still never saw why they gave the holding decision to Le Cras which got them back in the game.